World Cup 2026: Canada, US & Mexico joint bid wins right to host tournament

DPatel304

World Cup 2026: Canada, US & Mexico joint bid wins right to host tournament

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Jun 2018 10:00

The 2026 World Cup will be held in the United States, Canada and Mexico after their joint bid beat Morocco's proposal to host it.

The 'United 2026' bid was selected by Fifa member nations, winning 134 votes compared to 65 for Morocco.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44464913

This is awesome news in general and, in addition, while nothing has been confirmed, it's almost guaranteed that Dallas will absolutely host one of these games.

exelone31

Re: World Cup 2026: Canada, US & Mexico joint bid wins right to host tournament

Postby exelone31 » 13 Jun 2018 10:14

So happy the joint big won out over Morocco. I was very scared we'd get "Qatar'ed" all over again.

I believe Dallas was also in play for several of the ancillary hosting jobs as well (media center, etc), so that's great news overall.

Plus, guaranteed participation by the US Men's National Team!

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 24 Jul 2020 09:05

I really hope that Dallas is chosen as one of the premier host cities, even for the World Cup Final. Nobody will confuse the DFW area for a "Soccer Town", but there are tons of great things going for it:
- National Soccer Hall of Fame
- Tons of training facilities (Frisco, Moneygram, etc)
- JerryWorld
- The Cotton Bowl (I doubt they would host a game there, but my wishful thinking is that by 2026, the future vision of Fair Park will have been implemented and turned it into a popular year-round destination)
- Central location for travel throughout the country
- "World Class" Bridges? hahah jk

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Mar 2021 07:01

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/ml ... 31928.html

Dallas took another step in its bid to be a host city for the 2026 World Cup with an official second meeting on Friday with FIFA, soccer’s international governing body.... AT&T Stadium in Arlington is the focus of the Dallas bid that is inclusive of the entire North Texas Region, but headlined by FC Dallas, AT&T Stadium and the Dallas Sports Commission.

...17 American metro areas, including Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Cincinnati, Denver, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, the New York/New Jersey area, Orlando, Philadelphia, the San Francisco Bay Area, Seattle and Washington, D.C., in addition to Dallas.

According to FIFA, 16 cities will make the final cut — three will be awarded to Canada, three will be given to Mexico, and the remaining 10 will go to the United States.... The selections are expected to be made this December

With three stadiums in Arlington, and finally adjacent, cohesive developments of entertainment venues and overnight accommodation torqued to event crowds, I would imagine most of the direct, official World Cup media events would happen in Arlington.

But maybe not.... I don't know if FIFA has anything like the NFL experience during the superbowl, but the Dallas Convention Center was the only place in North Texas big enough to handle all that NFL programming. If FIFA wants an 'experience,' Dallas Convention Center and Fair Park are probably the only two viable options.

As long as VisitDallas ignores the potential of the Fair Park facilities, it will fall well short of it's lofty mission statement:

Our mission is to market Dallas as the ideal convention and visitor destination to the regional, national and international marketplace and to favorably impact the Dallas economy through meetings and tourism.

The exhibition halls at Fair Park must be brought into this century! Focusing on those largest scale events that require and fill up a space as large as the convention center is an incomplete effort. The Automobile building and Centennial Hall simply must be renovated and upgraded into the most versatile exhibition spaces in North Texas. The interior space of both building should be at lease doubled... With the Hall of State, the esplanade should be 'marketed' as a single event space indoor and outdoor. Whatever....

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Sep 2021 12:33

I'll let FairPark First decide what is a viable use for those buildings. The last thing we need is two convention centers always on the precipice of going into the red and needing the city to bail them out. The state fair uses them for selling do-dads and what-nots not exactly worlds fair material and I do not see a new direction of the State Fair steering them away from what has always worked, mattresses, bamboo sheets, wood carvings, spices etc.

Plus the esplanade buildings are historical there are extreme limits to what modifications can be made and honestly I am fine with that. We have already had theoretical policy discussions where the city could see itself tearing out the convention center as trade conventions are not a thriving market even before the pandemic. Add some new HVAC systems renovate other important systems like restrooms and concessions and let the company charged with Fair Park find the niche it can operate under without scaling up into a market already disappearing. Even music festivals might not last forever as a thriving market.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

KCHornedFrog

Postby KCHornedFrog » 06 May 2022 09:07

Host city announcement delayed until at least mid-June.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 16 Jun 2022 16:36

Dallas officially selected as a host city, and by Dallas I mean Arlington :P
But still exciting!

The difference of ~30 years since the last WC here is huge when you think about it. MLS didn't exist at the time of our previous world cup, and we currently have a handful of North Texas players in the national team lineup thanks to the strong FC Dallas youth academy. Soccer here has grown a lot.
To say nothing of how much the region in general has grown since 1994 and will continue to grow through to 2026.

I look forward to everyone catching soccer fever again like we did for that brief moment in the 90s.
Last edited by IcedCowboyCoffee on 16 Jun 2022 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 16 Jun 2022 16:53

It is expected that six matches will be held at AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/excit ... s/2993341/

Great news indeed! I definitely expect Arlington host a game or two, but definitely wasn't expecting the possibility of six games being held here!! Now I'll just have to keep an eye out for how to get tickets to this thing.

Hopefully we can get some sort of bus situation going for people who want to stay in hotels in either Downtown Dallas or Fort Worth and commute to the games easily.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 16 Jun 2022 17:02

Now known as FC Dallas and headquartered at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, the MLS squad and surrounding area is also poised to benefit from World Cup matches in the region. Matches won’t be played in Frisco or the Cotton Bowl, but both are integral parts of the region’s bid this time around.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/fc-dallas/2022/06/16/north-texas-wins-world-cup-bid-will-host-matches-at-att-stadium-in-arlington/
Sounds like the Cotton Bowl/Toyota Stadium will be used as practice/warm up facilities in some capacity in the lead up to the games.

Six matches is huge, should hopefully make it feasible to grab tickets for one at least!

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 17 Jun 2022 08:07

That's good to hear! I was half expecting some of the earlier group stage matches to be played at one of those stadiums, but I think using our biggest stadium likely makes sense. I'm glad to hear that these other facilities will still be used to some degree.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 17 Jun 2022 12:13

The location of the International Broadcast Center, the tournament’s main media hub, is also still in flux, but Dallas hosted it in 1994, and Trubey, who’s main initiative with Overland is Fair Park, is confident the area can do it again. “Fair Park is positioned in a way that no other property is, with 277 acres. Fair Park is the perfect venue for the International Broadcast Center,” he said.

- https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2022/06/fifa-selects-north-texas-as-host-city-for-2026-world-cup/

How cool would that be?
If we approve the convention center hotel tax that will pay for the massive renovation of Fair Park, the grounds will really be shining by 2026.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 20 Jun 2022 00:17

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:
The location of the International Broadcast Center, the tournament’s main media hub, is also still in flux, but Dallas hosted it in 1994, and Trubey, who’s main initiative with Overland is Fair Park, is confident the area can do it again. “Fair Park is positioned in a way that no other property is, with 277 acres. Fair Park is the perfect venue for the International Broadcast Center,” he said.

- https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2022/06/fifa-selects-north-texas-as-host-city-for-2026-world-cup/

How cool would that be?
If we approve the convention center hotel tax that will pay for the massive renovation of Fair Park, the grounds will really be shining by 2026.

That'd be incredible. Fair Park deserves it. Seeing the community park plans from Fair Park First have me so excited for the future of the area, and with the World Cup coming to DFW, things could happen a lot quicker than we may have previously anticipated.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 04 Mar 2024 15:32

With the World Cup confirmed for Dallas and surrounding cities, what is Dallas doing for preparation? There’s little to no talk about this. No expansion of Klyde Warren or DART improvements. Dallas will be part of the world stage and doesn’t seem to care that such a huge event will be here. Wish they would rush to compete things or build some entertainment areas for visitors that are coming. I hope Dallas doesn’t miss on this opportunity.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 04 Mar 2024 17:47

The local people lobbying FIFA want the international broadcast center to be at the Convention Center and the referees headquarters to be in Frisco. Fair Park would get a fan festival but so would a bunch of other venues around the Metroplex. This story is a month old now so there may be updates to the plan and decision.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local ... 1e76a637f0