DFWU Discord Community

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

DFWU Discord Community

Postby undefinedprocess » 08 Jan 2021 10:15

Alright, I'll keep this short and simple, so y'all don't have to read through a long post before you yell at me and tell me if this is a stupid idea or not.
I, myself, am way too obsessed with following development around DFW, and would love to have a more casual way of discussing it & other various topics with everyone. I view this forum as more of a place where I want to see/post things that are "post-worthy," and can/will/should be referenced in the future, that way, we don't have to rely on Steve Brown, you know?

Anyways, not sure if there's any of you on here who are a little younger like myself, but I've been debating creating a Discord server to somewhat mirror this forum for awhile now. I like the idea of more candid/casual/quicker conversation, as well as the possibility of voice calls/chats, as y'all are really the only "people" in my life that I can discuss this stuff with. Nobody around me has any interest whatsoever in development, construction, etc., so...

Anyways, y'all please let me know if you have any interest in this, as I'd love to be able to discuss all this stuff with y'all on a different platform (but not take away from the forum). As I said, just a bit more of a candid/quick platform to use.

(If you're confused as to what Discord is, or what I'm talking about & have any questions, drop 'em below.)

And if this is a stupid idea/post, let me know. Not wanting to take anything away from the forum, really just want to add another level to it (ish?). Also, this post is long now, and I said it wouldn't be. Shit.

art_suckz

Re: Trying to gauge interest in an idea...

Postby art_suckz » 08 Jan 2021 12:11

I'm down for Discord
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 08 Jan 2021 13:37

What is Discord? :D
Nevermind, I'm probably 'way too old.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 08 Jan 2021 16:28

I'd be up for Discord. I haven't used it before, but I'm always up to have additional venues for discussion. I don't know that I have related to a statement as much as this one in some time:

Nobody around me has any interest whatsoever in development, construction, etc., so...

Anywho, thanks for throwing the idea out there!

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 10 Jan 2021 15:05

Yeah, I'm sure some people would definitely be interested. I'd do it.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 11 Jan 2021 02:10

Alright, so there’s some interest, glad to hear that... For those of you who do know what Is Discord is, I’ll ask you this question and you’ll basically be answering on behalf of those who aren’t familiar with it.
I already have my own Discord server I’ve built (empty, really in progress) that has channels for all the different things I’m interested in (photography, development, tech, etc.). Would y’all just want a channel or two in there dedicated to development/construction/etc. chat, or should I/would you prefer an entirely new server dedicated to DFWU? Please let me know, thanks! :)

art_suckz

Postby art_suckz » 11 Jan 2021 09:31

Im mostly interested in general chat, constructions/developments and trains, trains, trains.
To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 13 Jan 2021 11:00

art_suckz wrote:Im mostly interested in general chat, constructions/developments and trains, trains, trains.

Hmm, okay, so maybe just a couple of channels within my pre-existing server? Thank you for your replies, I appreciate them! :mrgreen:

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Feb 2021 09:34

I would say its also good place for throwing out rumors or suspect news and having some of the group feedback before they manifest on the forum. I think its a great idea though overall.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 02 Feb 2021 10:39

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I would say its also good place for throwing out rumors or suspect news and having some of the group feedback before they manifest on the forum. I think its a great idea though overall.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Working on setting things up right now, but was hoping to get some more input pertaining to format. I have a pre-existing server (no users), but with channels related to many of my personal interests/work (i.e. photography, videography, tech, etc.).

Do you think it'd be better to create a whole new server for DFWU, or just have a section with different channels (chats) for a few topics within my pre-existing server? Trying to do what would be best for this extension of the forum, and hopefully encourage the most conversation. :)

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Feb 2021 15:50

Format well, considering its your server I don't recommend building too much centered around us the DFWFU unless its just something you want to maintain. I don't want impose the same labors of love that this forum has been for many of the long term members and volunteer moderators.

I would start with a General DFW Development News Thread and maybe a photo thread as well and see how the users use it. Id hate to see too much redundancy and content not propagate to the rights place cause someone refuses to post on both and the content becomes so disjointed. Since we are not a profit driven site its more about making a effective use of both formats for both sets of users.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 16 Feb 2021 12:21

Alright, finally got around to creating the DFWU Discord server!
Here's the link: https://discord.gg/yZS5SA5ANS

Any way to put this somewhere more prominent on the forum so that more than just a couple of people see it..?

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 18 Feb 2021 20:18

Joined up and looks good. Will be great for side-bars and other reasons already mentioned earlier. Plus other odds and ends here and there. Not to mention forum meets virtually by text/voice/video. . .

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Re: Have you joined yet? - DFWU Discord Community

Postby undefinedprocess » 21 May 2021 13:30

Bumping this up since it's been awhile that this has been "formally" promoted. It's in my signature for every damn post I make, but in case you've been missing it, I've created a DFWU Discord Server that's a great little sidecar addition to the forum. I know I'd like to dive deeper into projects, proposals, and other various topics, preferably in a conversational format. If I were to do all of that on the forum, it'd get way too cluttered, hence the creation of the Discord Server. :lol:

Would love to have any and all of you join, even if you're not planning to use it every single day (like myself and a few others). If you don't know what Discord is, no worries! Just let me know and I can help you set up an account & join, takes just a minute or two (and yes, it's free and secure).