Thoughts on Phil Kingston

homeworld1031tx

Thoughts on Phil Kingston

Postby homeworld1031tx » 30 May 2019 21:50

I'm not nearly as involved in city council politics as I should be, but I have never had anything notably against Kingston. During this election cycle though, the main form of ads that I've seen from his campaign involve him essentially stating that land use is important and from the imagery (no specific text is given of course...since he's a politician) it appears as if he's saying he's against large development.

Does anyone on the boards find this to be true? What you y'alls thoughts about him? What do you think about Blewett?

Hannibal Lecter

Re: Thoughts on Phil Kingston

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 31 May 2019 06:59

Kingston has publicly stated that he is against any up-zoning in Oak Lawn that will increase density.

I personally oppose Kingston because he's "the rules are for other folks" kind of guy. He was censured for using his city hall office for campaign purposes in violation of city ethics rules. When he was required to pay back part of his city salary for missing too many meetings he simply refused until he was about to lose his spot on the ballot for this election. I've seen him post selfies from polling places to Facebook, in direct violation of the Texas Election Code.

He's just plain slimy.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 31 May 2019 09:16

I like Kingsy becuz he is a thorn in the side of the Dallas Citizen Council shills that sit on the board..

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 31 May 2019 12:36

I don't know much about the guy either. I met him briefly at the meeting to reduce Lemmon Ave by a lane (which he was in support of), and then ran into him at a coffee shop once, but that's about it.

I'm surprised to hear that he is against up-zoning in Oak Lawn. I figured if he was in support of reducing Lemmon Ave by a lane, he would generally tend to favor more urban/dense development.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 31 May 2019 14:22

Interesting thoughts for sure. Would love to get further input from the forum on the candidates. I am not really sure which way to go here and there is not really enough info about city council members out there on the net

muncien

Postby muncien » 31 May 2019 15:03

I'd have to say that Johnson's 'strength' (insider and business support) is his greatest 'weakness' IMO. I am truly sick of Dallas govt officials being puppets for deep pocket insiders.
That said, every candidate has someone pulling their strings. But having someone in there who doesn't typically go with the flow may help right the ship a bit... or, at least make people think twice before trying to pull a fast one.
Who knows? But one thing I can say for sure... I'm glad to see Rawlings head out.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."