Forum Activity

warden62

Forum Activity

Postby warden62 » 18 Sep 2017 08:52

I've been a member of this forum for over a decade, since 2003, I think. I've noticed after the unfortunate crash of the site, activity has really dropped.

What's fascinating to me is that back when I first joined, there was a lot of dreaming big about DFW's potential growth and expansion, and now that development and population growth continue, it seems the forum has lost a bit of energy and activity. I could be wrong.

EDIT: What I mean by drop in activity means across the entire forum.

What are some guesses about what's happened?
Ryan
--
When you have given nothing, ask for nothing.

exelone31

Re: Forum Activity

Postby exelone31 » 21 Sep 2017 08:43

IMHO, the switch to the new UI was a bit of a downgrade. I'm not able to recognize new activity as easily (bolded thread titles was a big help).

Also, it took a long time for my computer to allow access to the forum, to the point where I had stopped checking for quite a while. I'm not sure if others are in the same boat, but wanted to add my 1.5 cents.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 21 Sep 2017 09:02

I find it useful to just click Quick Links and Unread Posts to keep up with what's being posted.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Sep 2017 11:04

I can't remember how long, but there was some downtown in between the old site crashing and the new site being brought up, so, for a while, none of us had any site to go to. I'm sure during that downtime, some of the lesser active members just simply gave up and stopped coming. It also didn't help that the new site required everyone to sign up for another account, which would probably weed more people out. I know the site administrators worked really hard to get this site up and running, so I'm thankful, but I can imagine the switch definitely weeded some people out. But, if you think about it, I'm sure the original site wasn't all that active when it started and then, naturally, over time, it gained a following. The same will eventually happen here.

I haven't been around for TOO long, so I can't remember what the site was like when we were dreaming big about DFW's potential growth, but I can see what you mean about excitement dying. I guess when Dallas experiences explosive growth, you kinda get used to a high rise being announced every few months, so it loses it's appeal very quickly. I think there is nothing wrong with that. Our city is at a different level now, so our expectations are also at a different level. We can and will get excited, but, these days, it takes a much bigger project to excite us, that's all.

muncien

Postby muncien » 21 Sep 2017 16:35

texasstar wrote:I find it useful to just click Quick Links and Unread Posts to keep up with what's being posted.

Yes... That 'Unread Posts' link works waaaaaay better than similar option on old site, which seemed to update/refresh whenever it wanted.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 22 Sep 2017 09:17

I guess when Dallas experiences explosive growth, you kinda get used to a high rise being announced every few months, so it loses it's appeal very quickly.

It's been months since I used up my quota of DBJ articles!

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 22 Sep 2017 11:07

texasstar wrote:I find it useful to just click Quick Links and Unread Posts to keep up with what's being posted.

Ah nice, thanks @texassstar!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 Nov 2017 13:57

I think everyone also has to keep in mind that Forums are a dying breed. While in some geek communities they are as strong as ever some people have switched to other means to get the same satisfaction for discussion and news. We had a lot of members who just used the forum as an RSS reader of sorts. It was a place where a larger group of people gathered links and info and brought it back for other members to feast on. Nowadays a lot of the news I want comes by way of my facebook feed aka friends I follow post links and news there first covering all the things we discuss here. I know a few forum members who just plainly moved on. One I know actually makes news now rather than participates here like they used to. These things come in waves as well. One of the biggest parts of the forum for awhile was photographers. Justin Terveen used to post daily digital photos along with other local photo hobbyists. That activity has wained for sure but a forum really isn't the best place for sharing photos anymore either and Justin is now a name brand in Dallas photographer and I am proud many of us older forumers got to see his earlier work.

I get why the changes can upset people I even understand some of the layout concerns that have been pointed out with the new forum software but there are limits to how much some of us can contribute. Sometimes there just isn't a league of younger forum members who have the same passion some of us had for this digital discussion space. Some of those people are chatting it up on a facebook group somewhere or a blog on another site.

I joined the original forum way back in Middle School and remember I found it while searching for renderings of a planned renovation of my local high school football stadium. I landed on the Texas High School Football Stadium thread and found a treasure trove of renderings and photos that kept me coming back for a month until I discovered the rest of the forum. I eventually became more than just a voice but an idle photographer who spent time driving to construction sites to take pics for the forum. Later on, I was asked to help moderate. I have to admit if I go a day without checking in it kinda becomes an itch that I just can't ignore.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

dallasite1

Postby dallasite1 » 02 Dec 2017 02:29

Yes sir, I agree. i have a two pages on facebook. DFW progress and Demolition Dallas, But I am sick of all the political crap I see on facebook as with the constant chatting about nothing. I decided to come back to the forum, which is more friendly and people actually don't stray far from the topics. I have also had some success with my photography. Plus I have to support C. Troy. Forums if moderated properly are a good place for info and good healthy discussion, especially for research. Facebook isn't In my opinion a friendly place to have discussions anymore. I still troll through My fb page and posting is for casual conversations, I stay away from those political and religious viewpoints on FB and on forums. The forum is a good educational place to be. Plus I know The older posters. we do need to encourage a younger audience to join in So we can educate and show folks Facebook ain't where its all at. All facebook is just an newer version of Myspace. its funny i am an old forum poster now. I started hanging out in 2006-2007 when the forum was still relatively new. My how time flies.
Scott Dorn
Preserving D/FW History one photo at a time

f4shionablecha0s

Postby f4shionablecha0s » 10 Dec 2017 18:01

For the love of god can someone please do something about the piss poor design of this website? I've been coming here since 2003 and I'm now down to about once a month because it's so frustrating to use.

WHY IS THERE A BLACK BAR ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE OF MY BROWSER THAT IS PARTIALLY OBSCURING THE TEXT BOX I'M CURRENTLY TYPING INTO?!

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 11 Dec 2017 13:21

I'm not seeing that. What browser are you using?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Dec 2017 13:56

I do see a greyish vertical bar on my screen (with the DM logo at the top), but I'm browsing through my computer, and it's so far to the left that it doesn't impede my ability to browse or type.

Perhaps you're viewing this on your phone or some sort of small scree?