If-only / What-if .....

lakewoodhobo

Westmoreland Industrial District

Postby lakewoodhobo » 30 Aug 2017 11:22

There's an industrial district (about 155 acres) just south of the Westmoreland DART Station that should be master-planned for a massive mixed-use TOD. One thing that's really unique about the site are the old railroad rights of way that could be turned into trails, especially since west of Westmoreland this same ROW will become the Chalk Hill Trail.

DART needs a major anchor for this end of the Red Line, and a mixed-income housing development with appropriate density would do a lot for ridership.

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 11.21.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 11.13.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 11.04.51 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Westmoreland Industrial District

Postby tamtagon » 30 Aug 2017 12:02

dude, sweet

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Apr 2018 11:01

Little did I know that bcWorkshop had studied this area in 2016 and did a fantastic job of proposing a redevelopment plan for Westmoreland and several other stations.

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 10.59.41 AM.jpg

You can read the entire report here: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... educed.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 Apr 2018 12:05

If city building had been the primary objective of HQ2, this would have been a great site proposal. Add to that longest of shots, Red Bird Airport could take over for Love Field, opening the gates to Middle Dallas while Oak Cliff takes over for downtown Fort Worth and Tolled-Frisco/Plano --- actually, with this longest of shots, the tollway is extended to Red Bird.

itsjrd1964

If-only / What-if .....

Postby itsjrd1964 » 09 Sep 2018 22:35

Just saw this earlier in a Facebook group. I know there are those who don't want tunnels, but if the Dallas and/or Fort Worth CBDs had this or something like it (the retail itself, or retail connected to office and/or hotel), wow. There'd be a lot to draw existing/new residents, as well as office workers, plus a (real) grocery store could go into a development like this also. Too bad we're seemingly on the downhill side of plentiful multi-storefront retail, but oh the possibilities!

I45Tex

Re: If-only / What-if .....

Postby I45Tex » 10 Sep 2018 15:52

Maaaaaybe these days that could work, but didn't work in isolation. Tulsa built a nine-block complex with performing arts center, 700-seat movieplex with Dolby sound, fifty retailers and 10+ restaurants, plus office towers and hotels, to no avail: https://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/news/t ... c6e26.html

Even walking capitals like Boston haven't generated too much recent residential demand from major urban malls like the Cambridgeside Galleria or from Copley Place-Prudential Center (which has a major grocer).

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 11 Sep 2018 09:06

itsjrd1964 wrote:Image

Just saw this earlier in a Facebook group. I know there are those who don't want tunnels, but if the Dallas and/or Fort Worth CBDs had this or something like it (the retail itself, or retail connected to office and/or hotel), wow. There'd be a lot to draw existing/new residents, as well as office workers, plus a (real) grocery store could go into a development like this also. Too bad we're seemingly on the downhill side of plentiful multi-storefront retail, but oh the possibilities!

I think in the future this will be the only type of multi-store retail that will be viable. Tying shopping in to the urban day-to-day framework instead of making retail an isolated destination is IMO the best way forward.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 04 Sep 2023 22:57

lakewoodhobo wrote:There's an industrial district (about 155 acres) just south of the Westmoreland DART Station that should be master-planned for a massive mixed-use TOD. One thing that's really unique about the site are the old railroad rights of way that could be turned into trails, especially since west of Westmoreland this same ROW will become the Chalk Hill Trail.

DART needs a major anchor for this end of the Red Line, and a mixed-income housing development with appropriate density would do a lot for ridership.

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 11.21.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 11.13.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 11.04.51 AM.png

In case anyone is wondering what a rails to trails collector loop would look like around central Dallas, one that imitated the 22-mile one which Atlanta is building, well, I think DART Westmoreland Station would be an important hub on it.

Such a loop would be significantly farther out from the city center than the Katy Trail itself. It would be more legible -- that is, simple to remember how one's position is oriented with respect to the city when facing it from any direction -- and not as lopsided as the 50-mile The LOOP system suggests:

https://theloopdallas.org/wp-content/up ... OP-Map.pdf

https://www.dallasparks.org/DocumentCen ... ap-7-16-20

From Katy Trail at DART Mockingbird Station, there is a good reason to use the existing system of University Crossing Trail - Ridgewood Trail - SoPac Trail - White Rock Creek Trail, and then to extend it as The LOOP does southward over the funded Trinity Forest Spine Trail to a Pemberton Hill Road Trail.

If it were possible, going across the river to the Wonderview Park using the existing John C Phelps Trail would be the ideal. In fact if you survey the layout of the city, then Illinois Avenue - Westmoreland Avenue - West Mockingbird - Mockingbird Lane completes a square around downtown perfectly. White Rock Lake and Westmoreland Station mark the NE and SW corners. At 32 miles it would be about 8 miles to a side and very evenly centered/spaced between downtown Dallas and Loop 12. I hadn't known that before now.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 04 Sep 2023 23:11

IMG_1175.png

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 05 Sep 2023 08:16

I45Tex wrote:If it were possible, going across the river to the Wonderview Park using the existing John C Phelps Trail would be the ideal. In fact if you survey the layout of the city, then Illinois Avenue - Westmoreland Avenue - West Mockingbird - Mockingbird Lane completes a square around downtown perfectly. White Rock Lake and Westmoreland Station mark the NE and SW corners. At 32 miles it would be about 8 miles to a side and very evenly centered/spaced between downtown Dallas and Loop 12. I hadn't known that before now.

This makes a lot of sense except for the part where you expect HIghland Park to welcome unwashed masses streaming through town on a public trail alongside the street that was infamously narrowed to dissuade people from traveling through the bubble. One more consequence of Dallas not annexing HP back in 1913 when the town requested it.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 05 Sep 2023 11:31

Thanks Mike! :mrgreen: So... instead of a toll tunnel running from NCX to Love Field we will just build a more elegant, cheaper and non-tolled hike and bike tunnel running from NCX to Inwood beneath Mockingbird Lane and we'll call it a day :ugeek:

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 05 Sep 2023 11:38

And a slip'n'slide lane for the especially unwashed whom the joggers kick out. ;-)

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 11 Sep 2023 19:44

Oh, man, remember that old Mockingbird Tunnel thing?

https://www.texasfreeway.com/Dallas/new ... 5_00.shtml

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Sep 2023 20:17

Not Under My Back Yard

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 11 Sep 2023 21:07

Oh, I like that.