AMPL

User avatar
I45Tex
Posts: 466
Joined: 26 Jan 2017 05:52

AMPL

Postby I45Tex » 05 Mar 2017 08:40

The first of the Census Bureau's July 2016 metro/micro/county-level (and I think possibly city-level) population estimates should come out within the next three weeks. I fully expect the Metroplex will re-pass Greater Houston as the largest net domestic migration gaining U.S. metro since the 2010 Census.

But all's far from well, I'll admit.
As The_Overdog put it, "...the over-arching guise of regionalism is starting to fracture - (transportation) DART, NCTCOG plans, (water) NTMWD, (travel) DFW & Love vs rail, and schooling (suburban students taking spots in Dallas' top magnets vs suburban schools generally better than urban). Will be interesting to see if any break apart in the next decade."

Jurisdictions splatter out little blasts of annexation; counties like Ellis, Johnson, Tarrant, Denton, Grayson, and Kaufman look like Jackson Pollock got a hold of them.

Ft. Worth already exceeds Dallas in land area; in the next decade its planners anticipate a municipal decision on adding 16 more square miles, out to the edge of Aledo, Texas (That's just under thirty percent of the total acreage that they've analyzed and classified for annexation in their current public records).

http://fortworthtexas.gov/planningandde ... able-1.pdf
http://fortworthtexas.gov/planningandde ... able-2.pdf

It's probably never going to get less fractious where these powers that be are concerned. They'll keep scrapping to finance an edgeless monument to the noble Houstonian's prowess at selling us that oil and gas, I guess. From Northwest Highway to well past U.S. Rte 380, that's the template, and the oldest of it is only just about to start turning 65...

Perhaps equally unrealistic to hope for better in the next 65 years, but that's what Opolis Blueprints are for.

This is not our Mansfield, as you might have guessed, but the old Mansfield that's half a world away.
Image

I think the Texas one might have a chance not to be forgotten if it arranged a thoughtful marriage with Midlothian ( -- another very good Great Britain name become all too forgettable in Metroplex context).
A city of 90,000 Texans joined together with a sturdy name such as that of historic nearby Alvarado (in 1855 a burg of favorably comparable size to Ft. Worth) would begin to be able to set the terms for the urbanizing southern tier. This thread is now likewise started in order to serve as the nucleus of the best suggestions for that area.
Last edited by I45Tex on 08 Jul 2021 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 2089
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Mansfield + Midlothian

Postby tamtagon » 05 Mar 2017 12:15

I think the first item in the urbanization of this southern tier must be an environmental assessment and thorough inventory of fracking activity and fallout; remediation is mandatory before the oil company can skip town and leave it up to the govt to clean up any damage.

Second item, identify a general urban growth boundary to re-establish a sturdy wilderness preserve, the Mountain Creek basin seems to be a very good place to start....

With these two items established as the foundation for the area, let the town do what they do.

All the little white dots on this map are fracking wells.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Dmkflyer
Posts: 70
Joined: 23 Oct 2016 13:28

Re: Mansfield + Midlothian

Postby Dmkflyer » 08 Mar 2017 10:03

Let's not forget that Grand Prairie has also been on annexation mode with it's city limits now bordering Midlothian and with it's southern limits currently ending at 287.

User avatar
I45Tex
Posts: 466
Joined: 26 Jan 2017 05:52

Re: Mansfield + Midlothian

Postby I45Tex » 09 Mar 2017 10:05


To recognize both of your excellent points, I've taken time to make a little illustration for us all.

I used the latest GIS maps online for the extraterritorial jurisdictions (ETJs) of Burleson, Fort Worth, Grand Prairie, Mansfield, Midlothian, and Waxahachie, and roughly transcribed them here.

Red is GP's ETJ; purple is the FW and Waxahachie ETJ -- I almost ran straight out of patience, and quit doing FW's north of 20.
Dark green are Burleson, Mansfield, and Midlothian ETJs.
Wonder if the Leg would pass a law to allow different boroughs to exist in 1 city.
Or is that law on the books?
Lite green is the future extent of Grand Prairie, most populous city in the state.

GP-TX.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
I45Tex
Posts: 466
Joined: 26 Jan 2017 05:52

Re: Mansfield + Midlothian

Postby I45Tex » 09 Mar 2017 11:58

Factoid I found out: if you add the 7/1/2015 estimated populations of Dallas and its three surrounded towns, they are the same population as A/FW plus their sixteen surrounded towns. Which means when new 7/1/16 ests come out, FW+A > D (granted, D occupies only 70% of their land area)...

Tnexster
Posts: 3156
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Mansfield + Midlothian

Postby Tnexster » 09 Mar 2017 16:01

It has long been the goal of FW to have a larger population than Dallas. I will never forget Mayor Moncrief ending a presentation saying he looked forward to the day the world sees this region as the Fort Worth-Dallas region and not the Dallas-Fort Worth region. While FW is totally obsessed with Dallas they have completely missed Plano-Frisco and everything that happens up there. DNT/121 area is about to eclipse downtown FW in terms of total leasable office space and they are still obsessed with what's going on in Dallas.

User avatar
joshua.dodd
Posts: 458
Joined: 23 Oct 2016 01:11

Re: Mansfield + Midlothian

Postby joshua.dodd » 29 May 2017 04:21

Not to mention, Dallas' southern burbs are now blooming. Waxahachie has the largest planned development south of the Metroplex under construction right now. The growth in Waxahachie has become so astronomical that the new Baylor hospital is working on plans to build a new facility next to the one they just built. The facility is going to be a 15 story tower.

Tnexster
Posts: 3156
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Mansfield + Midlothian

Postby Tnexster » 03 Jun 2017 17:15

joshua.dodd wrote:Not to mention, Dallas' southern burbs are now blooming. Waxahachie has the largest planned development south of the Metroplex under construction right now. The growth in Waxahachie has become so astronomical that the new Baylor hospital is working on plans to build a new facility next to the one they just built. The facility is going to be a 15 story tower.


This is news, didn't know that facility was doing so well.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 2089
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Mansfield + Midlothian

Postby tamtagon » 29 Aug 2017 08:41

tamtagon wrote:I think the first item in the urbanization of this southern tier must be an environmental assessment and thorough inventory of fracking activity and fallout; remediation is mandatory before the oil company can skip town and leave it up to the govt to clean up any damage.

Second item, identify a general urban growth boundary to re-establish a sturdy wilderness preserve, the Mountain Creek basin seems to be a very good place to start....


Totally whacked out flooding in Houston seems to change priorities, establishing urban growth boundaries in North Texas is probably the more difficult task, and therefore the one needed to be done first.

User avatar
I45Tex
Posts: 466
Joined: 26 Jan 2017 05:52

Re: Mansfield + Midlothian

Postby I45Tex » 10 Jan 2020 07:34

Tnexster wrote:
joshua.dodd wrote:Not to mention, Dallas' southern burbs are now blooming. Waxahachie has the largest planned development south of the Metroplex under construction right now. The growth in Waxahachie has become so astronomical that the new Baylor hospital is working on plans to build a new facility next to the one they just built. The facility is going to be a 15 story tower.


This is news, didn't know that facility was doing so well.


Has that tower been progressing?

The existing hospital for those who want to take a Street View is

2400 N I-35E, Waxahachie, TX 75165

Tnexster
Posts: 3156
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Mansfield + Midlothian

Postby Tnexster » 10 Jan 2020 08:04

I45Tex wrote:
Tnexster wrote:
joshua.dodd wrote:Not to mention, Dallas' southern burbs are now blooming. Waxahachie has the largest planned development south of the Metroplex under construction right now. The growth in Waxahachie has become so astronomical that the new Baylor hospital is working on plans to build a new facility next to the one they just built. The facility is going to be a 15 story tower.


This is news, didn't know that facility was doing so well.


Has that tower been progressing?

The existing hospital for those who want to take a Street View is

2400 N I-35E, Waxahachie, TX 75165


The last time I drove by which was in October there was no tower under construction.

User avatar
I45Tex
Posts: 466
Joined: 26 Jan 2017 05:52

Re: AMPL

Postby I45Tex » 08 Jul 2021 13:28

In the spirit of the original post, here's another opolis blueprint. Rival boomtowns Allen and Plano are both beginning to enter middle age and will have increasing difficulty differentiating themselves positively from the boomburbs that have early capital flooding in. Doubling down on a "West Plano" brand is not a scalable solution.

But someplace like Aledo or Hurst are not referred to as Dallas suburbs, since they're closer to a different city of sufficient population. In the same way, Allen, Plano, and Lucas -- by merging their municipalities with booming county seat McKinney under its name, forming a city of 618,000 citizens (by 2020 July official estimate combined populations... possibly 625,000 a year later) -- would be the city that Frisco, Prosper, Wylie, Melissa, and others are growing suburbs of. I don't think that this in and of itself would do any damage to Dallas that isn't already being done. But the unexpected move might even motivate Big D to stop infighting and improve. And we want Dallas to do that.

By the strangely not-faraway time that the Metroplex reaches the population of 9,000,000, demographers might chart its metropolitan divisions as 4,000,000 Dallas-Irving and 3,000,000 in FW-Arlington, plus 2,000,000 in McKinney-Lewisville or McKinney-Denton.

In this case study the existing ISD identities and traditions would remain locally based and separate.

User avatar
The_Overdog
Posts: 580
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 14:55

Re: AMPL

Postby The_Overdog » 15 Jul 2021 11:32

I think joining Plano and Frisco would make more sense. The east side of Allen and McKinney don't bring much to the table (an airport I guess...) while joining with Frisco would at least put the 'downtown' area of west Plano/Legacy in the 'middle' of town from a N/S perspective. Maybe they could annex the area of Carrollton and The Colony adjacent and get it into the middle like a proper downtown. Then annex the part of Allen adjacent to US75, so the agglomeration has I35 to the west, 121 to the north, 75 to the east and GBush to the south as the general border.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 2089
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: AMPL

Postby tamtagon » 15 Jul 2021 13:35

I've thought for decades that Dallas and Plano should merge....