John McCaa (WFAA/8 news anchor) announces retirement plans

itsjrd1964

John McCaa (WFAA/8 news anchor) announces retirement plans

Postby itsjrd1964 » 08 Aug 2018 05:00

After almost 35 years with Ch.8, John McCaa has decided that March 2019 will be his time to exit.

The DFW TV market doesn't have too many long-time anchors/reporters left: Clarice Tinsley is coming up on 40 years at Ch.4, David Finfrock is still at Ch.5 after 42-43 years, and McCaa's co-anchor Dale Hansen has signed a new 2-year deal after having been at Ch.8 since 1984 (as well as a few years at Ch.4 before that). Hansen has also turned 70 years old this year.

As more cost cuts and station sales take place in the industry, it is likely we will not see very many more remaining long-time veterans in local TV news.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/ ... a-set-step

exelone31

Re: John McCaa (WFAA/8 news anchor) announces retirement plans

Postby exelone31 » 08 Aug 2018 09:49

I think what will be really interesting is how much the newer crop of news anchors starts to reflect the overall news climate in general. I feel like we're drifting away from the down-the-middle, unaffected newsperson and more toward the politically-leaning (one way or the other), empassioned newsperson.

You can see how Dale Hansen has gone viral with his sports/human interest monologues relating to Michael Sam, the National Anthem, etc. Once he hangs it up, I'm sure there will be many networks trying to fill that space.

muncien

Postby muncien » 08 Aug 2018 10:30

Local, morning and nightly news, seems to be the only news I can stomach anymore. Please, please, PLEASE, don't let that go political.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Aug 2018 10:49

muncien wrote:Local, morning and nightly news, seems to be the only news I can stomach anymore. Please, please, PLEASE, don't let that go political.

Word

Whatever happened to responsibility in the media? The handful of corporations doling out 'the news' are catering to the advertising dollars they can squeeze out of primary demographics. Torque, ratchet and leverage every 10 seconds worth of news update into a 30 minute thinly veiled diatribe.

Under the current regulatory environment, I guess it's up to the actual advertisers; at some point they will determine politically stained news delivery is no longer the best vehicle in reaching potential customers. It's ass-backwards. I would welcome back an FCC mandate that every broadcast & cable news service provides 30 minutes of community service delivering the news without passion, opinion and bias. Monitor the broadcast, stream etc and make sure editorial commentary is clearly identified.