DTD: Crow Museum of Asian Art

jrd1964

DTD: Crow Museum of Asian Art

Postby jrd1964 » 26 Feb 2018 18:01

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... ollar.html

Yes, the space has been the Crow Collection of Asian Art, but the name is changing as part of a renovation and expansion. Part of the expansion is for displays, while the rest will be added to existing retail space.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: DTD: Crow Museum of Asian Art

Postby tamtagon » 26 Feb 2018 18:21

Wouldn't it be nice if this collection expanded into the Belo Mansion, got some real money into the collection!

Come to think of it, Harlan Crow's collection would probably be better in the Belo Mansion (especially better than tucked away in Highland Park, viewed by appointment only) and Lucy B kicks in Two Arts Plaza for the sight of a museum worthy of the Orient (South Asia is being planned just down the road next to The West End).

Anyway, good for this nice, little Asian Art Museum.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 02 Oct 2018 03:18

Dallas' Crow Museum of Asian Art unveils new name, a new look and five exhibits

The name change is official, along with the debut of new exhibits.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/communi ... e-exhibits

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 24 Jan 2019 16:19

Major announcement.

UT Dallas acquires Crow Museum of Asian Art, advancing its place in the region’s arts scene

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts/museums ... -asian-art

The University of Texas at Dallas unveiled this week yet another example of how it's becoming a power broker, not to mention a major player in the region's art scene.

In an announcement shared first with The Dallas Morning News, UTD is acquiring the Crow Museum of Asian Art, giving it a presence in the Dallas Arts District.

But that's not all. The Crow Collection, begun by the late Trammell and Margaret Crow in the 1960s and expanded as a downtown museum in 1998, will donate its entire holdings to UTD in addition to supplying $23 million in funding for a Crow museum on the school's Richardson campus.

The Arts District location will remain, but a second museum will be built on the campus of UTD (along with a museum for the recently-acquired Barrett Collection).

Wildenthal said at least $20 million of the $23 million being given by the Crow Collection is designated for the UTD branch of the Crow, while a separate fund-raising effort seeks $20 million more for the Barrett museum. He envisions both as part of "an Athenaeum complex" expected to open in less than five years.

"It will still be one museum, but with two locations. We will be aligning ourselves with the resources of the campus, to have programs generated through professors, fellows and international partnerships."

Hofland said the Crow museum was attracted to UTD because of "what it's done in the last 25 years and where we see the university headed."

Plus, it gives the collection the chance to widen its Asian audience, many of whom had complained about the difficulties in going downtown. The idea that the region "needed an art museum north of Interstate 635 was," Hofland said, "incredibly appealing."

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 24 Jan 2019 17:47

My partner- an insider in museums- had heard about this a few moths back from the Crow's Director. He had thought the museum was going to pick up and move to Richardson, but having two museums is a more comforting thought than losing a museum to the "burbs where is might have less appeal and foot traffic. Maybe they will have room between the two to campuses to show more holdings. Unfortunately, 16 people have been laid off. Perhaps to integrate the staff with existing and redundant
positions that can be carried out by UTD staff.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 24 Jan 2019 20:09

seems kinda weird...

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 Jan 2019 23:34

UTD going full throttle on the pointless art expansions.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 25 Jan 2019 09:26

Wow, I wonder what else might be next for UTD? As a UTD alum, it's been pretty exciting to see how the university has changed since I graduated.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 25 Jan 2019 09:45

Does UTD have a music school?

I've always loved the idea that one of universities would develop at Fair Park something along the lines of The Institute of Texas Cultures operated by UTSA. I had always though UNT would be ideal for an initiative like this since Fair Park so heavily oriented to art and performance and that's certainly a strength at UNT. Perhaps, though, UTD will take the position. Art and music students should infuse Fair Park.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jan 2019 11:27

tamtagon wrote:Does UTD have a music school?

I've always loved the idea that one of universities would develop at Fair Park something along the lines of The Institute of Texas Cultures operated by UTSA. I had always though UNT would be ideal for an initiative like this since Fair Park so heavily oriented to art and performance and that's certainly a strength at UNT. Perhaps, though, UTD will take the position. Art and music students should infuse Fair Park.

They do not. UNT has a renowned Music school though

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 10 Sep 2021 18:10

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:UTD going full throttle on the pointless art expansions.

https://magazine.utdallas.edu/dr-richar ... ts-leader/

"The Athenaeum project was Brettell’s magnum opus in his final years at UT Dallas. Envisioned as an on-campus museum and performing arts complex, the Athenaeum will house world-class collections of art, including several gifted to the University in recent years: the Barrett Collection, the Trammell and Margaret Crow Museum of Asian Art and the Carolyn Brown photography archives. Boasting classrooms and studios alongside traditional galleries, the Athenaeum will also be a meeting place where students, faculty and community members can collaborate across disciplines and cultures."

The Dallas Arts District was not necessarily a good place for the kind of group effort discussed elsewhere in the obit. I'm glad they're not trying to do it there.

https://arthistory.utdallas.edu/1841/di ... welcome-5/

"There is a bright glow on the horizon. Just recently, President Benson announced that UT Dallas plans to resume normal operations in the fall, and that means a return to in-person learning and programming. Add to that the fact that we are busy working with architects at Morphosis on the design of what promises to be a spectacular Athenaeum complex at UT Dallas, the long-time vision of Rick Brettell, whose occupants will include the Crow Museum of Asian Art, the Barrett Collection of Swiss Art, and the Brettell Reading Room. The Athenaeum will eventually include a performance hall, additional museums and an outdoor plaza, creating a new north Dallas area arts district here on the UT Dallas campus."

Other forum thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=612&p=19661#p19661

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 04 Jun 2022 09:12

Project has now begun construction. Duplicate link of the full update in that other thread (since it isn't the DTD Crow being discussed in this thread):

https://dallasinnovates.com/12-acres-of ... -district/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 14 Jan 2023 22:15

The Crow Museum downtown is displaying models and artwork regarding the UT-Dallas athenaeum/"cultural district", through March 5. The museum is projected for completion next year, while the performance hall is planned for opening in 2026. Morphosis, the firm behind the Perot Museum's design, has been named as the design firm for the UT-D buildings.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/entertainment/th ... s/3169989/