Texas Theatre

THRILLHO

Texas Theatre

Postby THRILLHO » 10 Dec 2020 12:06

This is getting a major redo to create a second screen. Expected to be finished by late spring or early summer 2021.

The second-floor space has sat unused for decades. It’s currently empty, save for some concrete steps. But with the help of a soundproof wall, adjustments to the slope of the floor and a roughly 40-foot screen — the same size as the one downstairs — the area will become its own separate screening room.

Upstairs in the Texas Theatre, a whole new auditorium is taking shape - Dallas Morning News

I find it interesting that they're putting a handful of seats on the balcony that will remain part of the main auditorium. I have always wanted to sit up there.

ericthegardener

Re: Texas Theatre

Postby ericthegardener » 10 Dec 2020 12:09

That is awesome! Texas Theatre has done a great of filling (and more) the role that the Inwood used to play in Dallas. Can't wait to be able to go back there.

cowboyeagle05

Re: Texas Theatre

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Dec 2020 16:39

I always wondered if they were doing good enough to start this project. An independent theater like this seems like a such a gamble. It would be cool if the sound proof wall was so easily removed that they could still use the balcony for larger events if the capacity was called for. I get it though these old theaters were designed to show one movie at a time to a larger amount of people while in todays movie market you seat less people in smaller theaters with multiple showings at once. Course with COVID and AT&T announcing all their movies will be distributed on HBOMAX for the next year the current generation of movie theaters is deeply threatened.

I hope they can one day restore the outside further than its current state. I know the exterior has changed from two styles like what was mentioned in the article but some restoration of the some of the grandness would be welcomed in some form by the neighborhood for sure.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”