Downtown Dallas: Hillwood Urban - Field Street Tower

ajderry2017

Re: Downtown Dallas: Hillwood Urban's ~50 storey tower on former BoA motorcourt

Postby ajderry2017 » 13 May 2021 22:41

LOL! Perot has been looking for a tenant for this particular location forever!!! What is this his 3rd design? I’m not believing any of it until I see a crane. Either tenants don’t like Hillwood or don’t like the location

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 13 May 2021 22:46

What iteration is this? It’s probably about as good as it gets from Hillwood. Nice tower, conservative size, no mixed-use, nothing special, nothing too risky or complicated. And it won’t get built at all unless a big lease is signed.. No big tenant and we’ll be looking at another even smaller tower concept here in a couple years.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 14 May 2021 01:24

Hillwood.gateway.jpg

I recently drove by the site and noticed that they had removed the fence posters that surrounded the property. I thought that this might be a tip off that something was in the wind with an announcement. Sounds like Hillwood might decide to build the tower on the premise that they can close the deal once they get the dirt flying and the building emerges from the ground. The 38 stories at 600 feet is about 15.7 feet per floor, which is 38 feet taller than the AMLI Tower just next door and 40 feet taller than Museum Tower, which would be just down the Woodall Rogers Freeway's frontage road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 14 May 2021 02:07

IMO all this tower is good for is density. It’s nothing special. There’s nothing gateway about it. It’s a subpar joke. Choosing Pickard over Foster is a colossal mistake. I hope this is preliminary and after Hillwood is bombarded with criticism they’ll tweak the height to 700’. But hey, I’m not a tenant just a skyscraper enthusiast but I’m not very enthused lol
Last edited by zblevinz555 on 14 May 2021 07:49, edited 1 time in total.

willyk

Postby willyk » 14 May 2021 03:26

I like the way they used the top of the parking structure to create the sky lobby. I wish that this would become the norm. Parking structures would become a lot more tolerable then.

And note that with this project, Field District and Hunt/North End we now have 3 of 4 comers engaged here. I am ready for someone to propose plans for the El Fenix corner and for Harwood to progress their tower on the edge of Victory. Everything is pointing to Field Street as the next focus for Uptown/ Downtown development. And the caliber of the developments is a quantum leap higher than most things that were built in the Uptown cycle.

Do we owe it all to the success of the Union? A high quality development on Field proved the viability of the neighborhood. More of this please.

eburress

Postby eburress » 14 May 2021 06:49

It'd be interesting to see this from some other angles. It's hard to get a full sense of what this building looks like from the rendering but I have the feeling this isn't the building's most interesting angle.

I absolutely hated the Foster design; literally anything would be better than that turd. Personally I'd much rather see a SOM tower on this site.
Last edited by eburress on 14 May 2021 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 14 May 2021 08:47

It’s just too bulky and bland...needs to slim down and be at least 700 feet.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 May 2021 09:09

So from 80 to 50 to 38, maybe by the time they build they can just do another 20 story box.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 14 May 2021 09:55

Tnexster wrote:So from 80 to 50 to 38, maybe by the time they build they can just do another 20 story box.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Victory Park Four?....LOL. :lol:

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 14 May 2021 10:14

Thymant wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:
MC_ScattCat wrote:Can we just get 1 building over 1000'? That's my dream

Same... But at this point, I'd gladly take the Hunt Realty Northend Apartment redevelopment in its entirety. 830 feet of residential and hotel, yes, please.

THRILLHO wrote:Man, what a height downgrade from the old cylinder design.
Visually it looks... unoffensive? It's fine. I'm hard to please when it comes to glass towers though. It certainly looks nice from the Klyde Warren Park point of view at least.

16 floors ain't exactly the sky :lol: That's not even halfway up.
But Dallas is starved for public sky lobbies so I'll take it.

Agreed, we need more sky lobbies, desperately. The National "observation deck" not panning out (or at least that's how it's looking right now) is very disappointing. I'll take whatever we can get for public access, but damn they should really put something up above the 38th floor (in the crown of the building). People would happily pay to go up there. Would be a win-win.

By the way, all of y'all need to join the DFWU Discord, please. Click the link below. :D

Obviously, this render is to pitch to potential tenants, but since this is what, the 3rd one, are we potentially closer to this site being developed?

I hope so.

I'm kind of lost at why there is a desire for more "sky lobbies" in Dallas when we have iconic tower which only purpose is to serve as a sky lobby and restaurant. I could see if this were Houston or Austin but there are a lot of things Dallas is missing but an adequate sky lobby is not one. Plus the addition of a higher public sky lobby in Downtown only seems like it would make the Reunion Tower obsolete, thus hurting the the only source of revenue it can make.

Just thinking of different "sky lobbies" in different locations, aside from Reunion. I don't think some others would hurt Reunion, as it's a true icon. Just some more options, you know?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 May 2021 10:19

I find the view from the Reunion Tower to be pretty mediocre. Plus it's not something you can really walk to either, so I'm all for more sky lobbies from different locations that are more accessible.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 14 May 2021 12:32

I’m trying to convince myself that when it’s built, and I’m cruising southbound on DNT approaching downtown, it’ll be a stunning addition to the skyline, but till then blah

Mr. Amsterdam

Postby Mr. Amsterdam » 14 May 2021 12:34

Tnexster wrote:So from 80 to 50 to 38, maybe by the time they build they can just do another 20 story box.

*Includes a ten story parking garage ;)
1999 - 2017

Urbancowboy

Postby Urbancowboy » 14 May 2021 12:53

DPatel304 wrote:I find the view from the Reunion Tower to be pretty mediocre. Plus it's not something you can really walk to either, so I'm all for more sky lobbies from different locations that are more accessible.

I couldn't agree more. The view from Reunion Tower is ok but not that amazing. We need more Sky Decks at other points of the city.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 14 May 2021 13:07

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Exactly my sentiment. They're going overboard by calling this an icon.

Love it or hate it,
boa1.jpeg

THIS would have been an icon. I know this design is polarizing here, but I prefer big design swings like this. They could even shrink it down to 38 stories and I'd still be more interested in this than the newer design.

It will keep shrinking by 30% each time until it's reduced to becoming a surface parking lot. hey wait a minute--

Thymant wrote:I'm kind of lost at why there is a desire for more "sky lobbies" in Dallas when we have iconic tower which only purpose is to serve as a sky lobby and restaurant. I could see if this were Houston or Austin but there are a lot of things Dallas is missing but an adequate sky lobby is not one. Plus the addition of a higher public sky lobby in Downtown only seems like it would make the Reunion Tower obsolete, thus hurting the the only source of revenue it can make.

$18 per person is not very accessible for a large portion of DFW residents, not for visiting more than maybe once a year for many folks. I want a spot that I can hop up to if I'm passing by and looking for a place to just think or enjoy the scenery for a few minutes. Most large cities have a handful of options for birds nest views, and Dallas used to be one of them. We deserve a Free-$5 range option. Getting to enjoy a city's architecture from multiple angles and points of view is one of the great parts of living in an urban landscape. They can be wonderfully meditative spots.
DPatel304 wrote:I find the view from the Reunion Tower to be pretty mediocre. Plus it's not something you can really walk to either, so I'm all for more sky lobbies from different locations that are more accessible.

Yeah, while I don't feel the view is mediocre I do think it must be the most photographed Dallas angle of all time. I've seen the city from that angle a BILLION times. It's a great spot for tourists, I just wish there were more casual options. They don't need a fancy Geo-Deck, just some floor-to-ceiling windows and benches.
It bums me out that I never took the chance to visit the Chase tower observation deck when it was open to the public.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LBK2013

Postby LBK2013 » 14 May 2021 13:27

I can't understand why these guys are so focused on a single use office building. A year after the pandemic and a complete shake up of office culture this seems like such a hard sell. Add to it that the building is bland as could be....Do they even actually want to build a tower here or what?

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 14 May 2021 14:21

LBK2013 wrote:I can't understand why these guys are so focused on a single use office building. A year after the pandemic and a complete shake up of office culture this seems like such a hard sell. Add to it that the building is bland as could be....Do they even actually want to build a tower here or what?

For real.
Plus, using prime klyde warren park proximity on just an office is such a waste.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 14 May 2021 14:32

Has Hillwood ever built any urban residential or mixed use?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 14 May 2021 22:22

WFAA just reported the story and said construction starts next month with completion in 2024.

Can’t see behind the snoozes paywall. Is this new info?

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 14 May 2021 23:27

LongonBigD wrote:WFAA just reported the story and said construction starts next month with completion in 2024.

Hmmm...that’s interesting. The article doesn’t mention that.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 15 May 2021 02:11

dallaz wrote:
LongonBigD wrote:WFAA just reported the story and said construction starts next month with completion in 2024.

I watched both FOX 4 and NBC 5 late local news on Friday night and they also said the company was breaking ground on the tower in June and would be completed 2024. I guess that building is a go.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 May 2021 07:08

Isn't there an even larger TOD "planned" across the street, where the South Asian Museum was once 'planned?'

rickbansal

Postby rickbansal » 15 May 2021 08:07

While I don't love the design, it's definitely better than a surface lot. If nothing else it will add density and there is still the other side of the street for development of a larger/taller complex. Btw, maybe the FAA has limited the height of the structure. Given the Perot ego, I'm sure Jr. would love bragging rights on having the tallest building in DFW. Anyways, if interested, here a link to their site with more details:

https://www.fieldstreettower.com/

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 May 2021 08:43

...would have been very nice if this building had planned for a seamless pedestrian path to the Metro Center station coming across the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obnN5GQcblU&t=95s

Might help Fountain Place, too.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 May 2021 09:59

jetnd87 wrote:Has Hillwood ever built any urban residential or mixed use?

I think they built some of the Residential and Retail in Victory Park. But as far as a Hotel/Office and/or residential in one building.. nothing in their portfolio shows otherwise. They probably don't want to deal with residential and want a single use building with one big tenant.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 15 May 2021 11:02

rono3849 wrote:
dallaz wrote:

I watched both FOX 4 and NBC 5 late local news on Friday night and they also said the company was breaking ground on the tower in June and would be completed 2024. I guess that building is a go.
Ok wow. I guess it’s moving a lot faster than I thought.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 15 May 2021 13:52

Urbancowboy wrote:

I couldn't agree more. The view from Reunion Tower is ok but not that amazing. We need more Sky Decks at other points of the city.

Sooner or later a building on one bank of the levee will have a rooftop observation terrace.

In reply to rickbansal, I don't see any reason to believe the FAA limited their proposed height. Hillwood specifically marketed this as an unrestricted height zoned site IIRC. The last height the company applied for, a year ago, was 626'

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/se ... 9939&row=1

So I assume that's what they're starting with. It is possible to file an amended application if they want to change its height while underway; 6XGuadalupe in Austin just did.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 15 May 2021 15:45

The best observation decks will come to west Dallas eventually.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 May 2021 21:17

This would be the biggest office building in DT in quite a while .. cheers to that i suppose. But I'll believe it once dirt flies!

Dallas Gypsy

Postby Dallas Gypsy » 15 May 2021 21:28

Oh wow...more soulless glass... If it gets built, that's great. But I'm not optimistic that it will, and neither am I about its generic and uninspiring design. Dallas' 1980s post modern designs really were the best and most ambitious. The 100 story tower originally proposed close to this site back in the 80s would have been phenomenal if it had been built. Something like that for this site is what we need.

Pinhi

Postby Pinhi » 15 May 2021 22:04

What's the difference between this and the Bryan Tower which is going through foreclosure. Bryan Tower is a bland glass box and so is this.
Last edited by Pinhi on 19 May 2021 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

Pinhi

Postby Pinhi » 16 May 2021 10:22

In addition to my comment above, I didn't like the round tower originally proposed either. This is being billed as a gateway tower. Why can't someone design something iconic and classic that would stand the test of time. Not something currently fashionable that everyone says oh I remember when everyone was building buildings like that.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 May 2021 10:02

Regarding the alleged reports of construction starting in June,

(1) I can't find any such reference in the articles on their websites
(2) The WFAA article specifically says: "The project will not break ground until an anchor tenant is in place. Brokaw, along with Hillwood Urban’s Karch Schreiner, will market and lease the property."
(3) NBC5 says the developer "plans to have the new building . . . open in 2024." Marketing fluff from the developer.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 17 May 2021 19:14

Tucy wrote:Regarding the alleged reports of construction starting in June,

(1) I can't find any such reference in the articles on their websites
(2) The WFAA article specifically says: "The project will not break ground until an anchor tenant is in place. Brokaw, along with Hillwood Urban’s Karch Schreiner, will market and lease the property."
(3) NBC5 says the developer "plans to have the new building . . . open in 2024." Marketing fluff from the developer.

I watched both FOX 4 & NBC 5 late night newscasts and they specifically said construction would start next month (June 2021) and be completed in 2024. I'm no PR agent for Perot either. I find it interesting that two different newscasts basically repeated identical comments.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 17 May 2021 20:24

The NBC5 webpage changed their information later on that same day I looked. I also saw June before the change, however I certainly didn't believe that would really be the case. No big deal. They changed it fast enough for wayback machine and google caching to not catch the change apparently. I didn't see the tv broadcasts about it, though. I think I read a headline today saying 33-50% onboard before building. . .

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 17 May 2021 21:12

CTroyMathis wrote:The NBC5 webpage changed their information later on that same day I looked. I also saw June before the change, however I certainly didn't believe that would really be the case. No big deal. They changed it fast enough for wayback machine and google caching to not catch the change apparently. I didn't see the tv broadcasts about it, though. I think I read a headline today saying 33-50% onboard before building. . .

If it does fall through, I hope the larger building is selected. That would make a statement on the skyline for sure.

rickbansal

Postby rickbansal » 18 May 2021 07:04

Frankly, I'm confused by need for a lead-tenant before they start construction. Who is going to wait 3 years for a building after they've decided they want to move? It's not as if Hillwood doesn't have the ability to get the funds to start a speculative project. Why don't they take a "build it and they will come" approach?

I guess it's easy for me say since it's not my money...

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 18 May 2021 09:22

rono3849 wrote:
CTroyMathis wrote:The NBC5 webpage changed their information later on that same day I looked. I also saw June before the change, however I certainly didn't believe that would really be the case. No big deal. They changed it fast enough for wayback machine and google caching to not catch the change apparently. I didn't see the tv broadcasts about it, though. I think I read a headline today saying 33-50% onboard before building. . .

If it does fall through, I hope the larger building is selected. That would make a statement on the skyline for sure.

Agreed. I understand developers have their puff pieces, but it's clear as day that this is not a new "icon in the skyline," and sure, it will serve as a gateway to Dallas, and underwhelming one at that. I'm all for this project happening if it does happen, but would much rather see a more unique design that this site deserves, more size, mixed-use/residential, etc.

As I mentioned, I get developers have their puff pieces and marketing speak, but nobody thinks of this as an icon... Kinda sad, shows how little they actually care. :lol:

rickbansal wrote:Frankly, I'm confused by need for a lead-tenant before they start construction. Who is going to wait 3 years for a building after they've decided they want to move? It's not as if Hillwood doesn't have the ability to get the funds to start a speculative project. Why don't they take a "build it and they will come" approach?

I guess it's easy for me say since it's not my money...

Nah, I agree. I think it shows that they're playing it beyond safe here. This isn't a risk, this isn't an icon, etc. As I said, I'm all for this site being developed, and if it happens, good, but I'd much rather see something better go up on this site. I think this approach goes to show they know this isn't all that special, and the only thing they have going for them is the attention grabbing headlines of "tallest building in Dallas in 30 years." Sigh, who wants to storm the Hillwood offices? :?

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 18 May 2021 10:26

This design is so basic with no true vision. They did well with the park on top of the garage and observation floor but that’s about it. This needs a bit more height for it to be an icon and a better design. I hope they go back and rework the project. They keep proposing smaller and smaller towers for this site.

Side note: I though Dallas had implemented green roofs a few years ago on new buildings.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 18 May 2021 11:54

If the main tower added only 7 floors, the height would exceed 700 feet. That would seem to be doable. JMO.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 18 May 2021 13:05

Or just put a design element on top.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 May 2021 13:08

Style to bunk. Pimp it out w/ LEDs or somethin', you feel me?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 May 2021 13:45

50% preleased? Large out-of-state companies are driving demand for new downtown tower

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... urban.html

"We’ve gotten to the point where there are a number of potential tenants we've been speaking with. These images have been getting more heavily circulated, so we thought it was time to go ahead and have a formal press release on it," said Reese.

The prospective tenants were not named, but the Hillwood Urban team says there's interest from both coasts.

“We have been very excited by the number of large corporate tenants looking at the building recently — many from the east and west coasts. This project represents exactly what today’s tenants are looking for,” said Bill Brokaw, Hillwood Urban’s senior vice president, in a prepared statement.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 18 May 2021 14:24

OK if they are putting in x amount of money, let's just crowdfund an additional 10 floors of shell space and a dirigible mooring mast, with a promise of sharing proportionally in the building's future.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 18 May 2021 14:30

If you chip in for the entire 10 floors, then we crowdfunders go for +10 more, and you get naming rights. You could even name it Dirk Nowitzki Tower.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 18 May 2021 14:58

Add 10 floors of residential and call it mixed use. Hillwood just doesn't ever go there.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 18 May 2021 15:30

Tnexster wrote:50% preleased? Large out-of-state companies are driving demand for new downtown tower

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... urban.html

"We’ve gotten to the point where there are a number of potential tenants we've been speaking with. These images have been getting more heavily circulated, so we thought it was time to go ahead and have a formal press release on it," said Reese.

The prospective tenants were not named, but the Hillwood Urban team says there's interest from both coasts.

“We have been very excited by the number of large corporate tenants looking at the building recently — many from the east and west coasts. This project represents exactly what today’s tenants are looking for,” said Bill Brokaw, Hillwood Urban’s senior vice president, in a prepared statement.

Props to the folks at Hillwood for getting this great free marketing from our local papers. I've rarely seen so much nonsense in one little headline.

"50% preleased?" No. Not even close. Hillwood merely hopes to "have a third to 50% of the tower preleased." No news there.

"Large out-of-state companies are driving demand for new downtown tower" Well, so far, there is zero demonstrated demand for this tower. The best that can really be said (assuming the developer is accurately representing the situation, which is quite an assumption), is that some large corporate tenants from out-of-state have shown some interest in the building.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 18 May 2021 15:51

Tnexster wrote:Add 10 floors of residential and call it mixed use. Hillwood just doesn't ever go there.

Add 10 floors of anything and it becomes risky or complicated and Hillwood does neither.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 18 May 2021 19:41

They should slap on a giant spire with LED's, renaissance tower style.
It made a boring box truly iconic. Similarly Willis/Sears tower in Chicago.

Lastly, we need a guerrilla campaign in the comment sections to convince would be buyers otherwise.
Im not surprised at their vanilla tastes, that's why for every article they post...
We need to tell them it needs more work. Add a spire. add leds. add 7 stories.
Whatever it is , it needs to be different.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 18 May 2021 20:39

If the building were sexier, they'd have more leases than they'd know what to do with. Just sayin'....