Video actually starts at 7:43

quixomniac

Re: DDI Annual Meeting

Postby quixomniac » 04 Mar 2021 23:03

Thanks! So much good info

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 05 Mar 2021 02:19

NewPark definitely looks more appealing. The sky bridges are at least lowish to the ground and as high up. Just wish there wasn’t such a gap between cbd and NP. They really put there ducks in a row.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Mar 2021 06:36

I didn't know convention center expansion is back on the table. Developing Lot 206/Helipad with a welcoming, front door aesthetic will do wonders for the neighborhood; oriented toward the HSR Station, the butt end of the convention center becomes a major mixed use, LRT access point for the region. Bringing the Municipal Auditorium into this century and encouraging activity at The Black Academy of Arts and Letters puts performance art in heavy rotation on this side of town.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 05 Mar 2021 09:21

tamtagon wrote:I didn't know convention center expansion is back on the table. Developing Lot 206/Helipad with a welcoming, front door aesthetic will do wonders for the neighborhood; oriented toward the HSR Station, the butt end of the convention center becomes a major mixed use, LRT access point for the region. Bringing the Municipal Auditorium into this century and encouraging activity at The Black Academy of Arts and Letters puts performance art in heavy rotation on this side of town.

If this does in fact get off the ground and truly happen, damn, this could be one of the best things to happen to downtown in a super long time.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 05 Mar 2021 10:44

The 508 Young project is a disgrace! what they plan to do to the front of building and turn into a drive through is ridiculous. The Rock of truth won't be what ppl first see when they approach the building..but rather a valet service. So sad. George Dahl would be livid. This city doesn't know how to preserve anything

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 05 Mar 2021 10:46

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:The 508 Young project is a disgrace! what they plan to do to the front of building and turn into a drive through is ridiculous. The Rock of truth won't be what ppl first see when the approach the building..but rather a valet service. So sad. George Dahl would be livid. This city doesn't know how to preserve anything

I'd have to agree. So much potential wasted there if that's truly the plan.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Mar 2021 12:32

NewPark is an ambitious and exciting proposal, but they lose a little credibility when they say things like: "Any company thinking of moving to this region thinks of downtown Dallas first."

If there is any truth to that, AT ALL, they apparently don't think much of downtown because few of them have been choosing downtown Dallas.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 05 Mar 2021 12:46

Tucy wrote:NewPark is an ambitious and exciting proposal, but they lose a little credibility when they say things like: "Any company thinking of moving to this region thinks of downtown Dallas first."

If there is any truth to that, AT ALL, they apparently don't think much of downtown because few of them have been choosing downtown Dallas.

Very true. We're in the era of sprawling campuses, so downtown certainly may be the first thing they look at, but...

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 05 Mar 2021 16:08

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:The 508 Young project is a disgrace! what they plan to do to the front of building and turn into a drive through is ridiculous. The Rock of truth won't be what ppl first see when they approach the building..but rather a valet service. So sad. George Dahl would be livid. This city doesn't know how to preserve anything

I also agree. The Rock of Truth will be pretty much hidden from view unless someone is in a tower looking down. Totally inexcusable.

I'm happy the site is seeing reinvestment, but the treatment of the Rock of Truth is pitiful and should result in a denial of the plan if possible. Wouldn't the plan have to pass some sort of historical review board like other revitalized downtown buildings had to?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 05 Mar 2021 16:33

Matt777 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:The 508 Young project is a disgrace! what they plan to do to the front of building and turn into a drive through is ridiculous. The Rock of truth won't be what ppl first see when they approach the building..but rather a valet service. So sad. George Dahl would be livid. This city doesn't know how to preserve anything

I also agree. The Rock of Truth will be pretty much hidden from view unless someone is in a tower looking down. Totally inexcusable.

I'm happy the site is seeing reinvestment, but the treatment of the Rock of Truth is pitiful and should result in a denial of the plan if possible. Wouldn't the plan have to pass some sort of historical review board like other revitalized downtown buildings had to?

What's worse is.. that they say want to activate the front of the building. And show cars in the renderings parked in front. I presume Washburne meant engine activation

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Mar 2021 13:05

Yeah, I just watched the video and he even called the front valet stand "event space"?!?!?! A large valet stand with room for at least two cars and some over-emphasized decorative stairs are not event space, not even Becky the boss's daughter would set up her lemonade stand there. The rest of the project sounds fine but I do hope the Dallas Peer Urban Review Committee has some impact here.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”