Design District: Cabana Hotel

cowboyeagle05

Re: Design District: Cabana Hotel

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Nov 2020 14:35

Huh so it was designed for an 11th floor but was never built. Guess they ran out of cash back then and just never built it.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 29 Apr 2021 13:13

CTroyMathis wrote:Just some more data showing how much longer the renovation will take including an unfinished 11th floor addition, perhaps partial coverage over current roof.
https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021004603

Has anyone been by here lately or heard any updates on this project? I see this lists a start date of February 1st for this particular bit of construction.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 21 Jul 2022 11:25

Has anyone seen any movement on this?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Jul 2022 11:54

The developer is focused on Colin Creek Mall redevelopment. I suspect his development firm does not have the capacity to manage a major mall tear down and rebuild plus the other historical projects like this one. This developer just sold the land in South Dallas to Hoque Global for them to focus on redevelopment as well. Maybe that will open up some capacity?

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 21 Jul 2022 12:06

Thanks for the perspective. Every time I see it from the highway it still looks as dilapidated as ever, but I really want to this project make it. We don't have many buildings like this around town.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 21 Jul 2022 12:37

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:Thanks for the perspective. Every time I see it from the highway it still looks as dilapidated as ever, but I really want to this project make it. We don't have many buildings like this around town.

It's an eyesore on Stemmons for sure. I'm surprised Mark Cuban hasn't made a move on it.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Jul 2022 13:30

I think he is more cocnerned with convincing the city to buy him a new Arena than putting his hands into the redevelopment of a historic hotel that was previously a jail.

Dallas_Uptown

Postby Dallas_Uptown » 22 Jul 2022 11:55

It's got so much potential. This needs to happen.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 22 Jul 2022 12:26

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I think he is more cocnerned with convincing the city to buy him a new Arena than putting his hands into the redevelopment of a historic hotel that was previously a jail.

The city built him a new arena, American Airlines Center, which replaced Reunion Arena. I doubt the city will do it a second time. It's ridiculous to think that Cuban wants a new arena right across Stemmons Frw. from the AAC, but I guess he can build it himself. The Stars can continue to play at the AAC and I'm sure AAC can continue to book concerts and events to fill in the dates the departing Mavs will leave open.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 22 Jul 2022 12:44

rono3849 wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I think he is more cocnerned with convincing the city to buy him a new Arena than putting his hands into the redevelopment of a historic hotel that was previously a jail.

The city built him a new arena, American Airlines Center, which replaced Reunion Arena. I doubt the city will do it a second time. It's ridiculous to think that Cuban wants a new arena right across Stemmons Frw. from the AAC, but I guess he can build it himself. The Stars can continue to play at the AAC and I'm sure AAC can continue to book concerts and events to fill in the dates the departing Mavs will leave open.

Cuban expressed he's going to have to make up his mind one way or another in the very near future, and I'd bet he ultimately decides to bail on the AAC. In that event, it's hard to imagine him not using his design district land, and for better and worse I'm sure the city would be happy to oblige any request he makes.

I'd rather the Stars and events follow the Mavs across the highway if that's the case. It would be a waste of space to have two arenas a quarter mile from each other. Even though I don't like the AAC's design, I'd be game for preserving it. I think if you gut the AAC you could create a pretty interesting mixed-use building with it.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 22 Jul 2022 12:50

And then we will be left with no major sports centers with rail access. sigh...
People think parking and traffic are tough around there now, just wait.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Jul 2022 13:56

IcedCowboyCoffee wrote:Even though I don't like the AAC's design, I'd be game for preserving it.

I think it's safe to say we can use Globe Life Field and Globe Life Park as a case study for this. A lot of people are complaining on social media about the design of GLF and feel nostalgic for the aesthetic of GLP.

Even though it's tempting to compare the faux retro styles of GLP and AAC, I'll take the AAC's faux Art Deco hangar look any day and it's by far my favorite of the 3 venues.

MXWYKSS76FE4FCN2YBUMRWNZXI.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 22 Jul 2022 14:14

If they "have" to move to a new place the land between the Hunt Hill Bridge and the jail along Riverfront would be nice to fill in.

The Cabana hotel is an eyesore in my opinion. It's at a dead end of the Design District and surrounded by highways and bail bonds places. I think this corner of the the district is tough to build a luxury hotel and tower right now. Maybe with the new development along Riverfront that will change.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jul 2022 15:33

rono3849 wrote:

The AAC is old, old old, and cities always build arenas for sports franchises its basically in the King James Bible at this point. Laura Miller isn't Mayor to lead the charge to challenge the status quo either. Every mayor since her has been in the developer's pockets, including the current one, so the council will follow along with a new proposal as given to them by developers wanting a piece of the pie. Also, concerts/events were also viable at Reunion, and bookers preferred it over the AAC just due to the city running it over the private company running the AAC. Still, the contract the city signed required AAC management to approve all bookings at Reunion, and they often denied bookings at Reunion on purpose. They tore down Reunion because contractually, it was too restricted to be worth fighting. The land was worth the chance of a new office development over fighting with AAC management about event bookings. I guarantee you the private management company that runs the AAC will want a new building with all the new features and infrastructure for modern event bookings, and just like the "LIST" in Devils Wears Prada everyone will fall in line and follow Cuban (Miranda Priestly's) lead to a new arena applying pressure on the city to agree. Dallas gives developers what they want its what we are known for.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 08 May 2023 12:53

Centurion is selling the Cabana and the old Braniff building.

Dallas’ landmark Cabana Hotel hits the market
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... he-market/

Centurion American officials have said delays in historic designations, city permitting problems and the COVID-19 pandemic caused them to pause work on the Cabana.…

The Cabana is one of two landmark Dallas buildings Centurion American has put on the market.
The developer is also offering for sale the historic Braniff Airways hostess college on the Dallas North Tollway.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 May 2023 12:59

These losers held this property hostage for no damn reason. They need to hurry up and finish the 10 story residential building they started in downtown by DMN. Getting tired of seeing a giant concrete slab sitting there.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 08 May 2023 18:56

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:These losers held this property hostage for no damn reason. They need to hurry up and finish the 10 story residential building they started in downtown by DMN. Getting tired of seeing a giant concrete slab sitting there.

They added the crane, but I don't see what the crane is for... nothing seems to be going on.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 May 2023 13:32

OrangeMike wrote:Centurion is selling the Cabana and the old Braniff building.

Dallas’ landmark Cabana Hotel hits the market
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... he-market/

We knew this was coming, sadly. Somewhat encouraging is this part saying they're under contract, although probably just someone kicking the tires if they're still marketing the property.

“We are marketing the property and are currently under contract with a group to convert the building,” said Jake Milner with Davidson & Bogel Real Estate, which has put a huge company banner on the front of the high-rise.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 May 2023 14:56

Affordable rental units planned for Dallas’ landmark Cabana Hotel site
Historic hotel on Stemmons Freeway near downtown has been vacant for years.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... otel-site/

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 26 May 2023 15:14

Inch deep and a mile wide.....Dallas commitment to most of the remaining cool older gems that are left. Look at the Belmont, once so 'not Dallas awesome' and now left to rot. I just wish someone could have picked up this little jewel and kept it a boutique hotel focusing on the Market Center neighborhood and all the new energy emanating from there........At least 'they' say they will save the facade--yikes, that could mean anything.
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 26 May 2023 17:42

citygeek wrote:Inch deep and a mile wide.....Dallas commitment to most of the remaining cool older gems that are left. Look at the Belmont, once so 'not Dallas awesome' and now left to rot. I just wish someone could have picked up this little jewel and kept it a boutique hotel focusing on the Market Center neighborhood and all the new energy emanating from there........At least 'they' say they will save the facade--yikes, that could mean anything.

Nice to see the eyesore live on. Ugh.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 Sep 2023 15:38

Dallas’ landmark Cabana Hotel seeks city incentives for $116 million makeover
The developers want to turn the long empty hotel on the edge of downtown Dallas into affordable rental units.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -makeover/

Now Cabana Sycamore Development Inc. wants to refurbish the 10-story building into affordable rental units.

The project would deliver “160 multifamily residential units — 64 income-restricted units and 96 market-rate units,” according to the development agreement the City Council will consider at its meeting this week.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Jan 2024 12:03

Cabana Hotel’s renovation into rental housing set to start this summer
The historic hotel will offer affordable residential units.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... is-summer/

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 23 Jan 2024 12:26

Tnexster wrote:Cabana Hotel’s renovation into rental housing set to start this summer
The historic hotel will offer affordable residential units.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... is-summer/

I hope this really happens this time.
Makes so much more sense than making it into a hotel again.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 23 Jan 2024 12:30

This can expand the Design District's housing area. Hopefully, they'll eventually build a tower adjacent to the Cabana site.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jan 2024 15:44

That is gonna a noisy ass apartment building.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 26 Jan 2024 13:14

I read an article about BOSE having a new built in noise cancelling system for apartment buildings similar to the way it works in cars. It said not only does it block outside noise from windows but also next door units and hall noise. Not sure how far they have gotten or if it has been used yet but bould be really cool for just this type of situation and allow more to built next to highways.