Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Downtown Dallas Retail

DPatel304
Posts: 1542
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby DPatel304 » 03 Sep 2019 17:02

World-famous bakery from France makes Texas debut in downtown Dallas
The bakery will open in downtown Dallas, next to the Hotel Joule. A spokesperson for the bakery says that construction just began and that an opening date is still to be determined.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... ton-joule/

I've never heard of this bakery, but it's awesome that their first Texas location is in Downtown Dallas!

A little off topic, but, speaking of international restaurant chains, it's a shame that San Martin didn't end up switching plans to move Downtown. I'm not sure how they are faring in Uptown, but I really do think they would have been a really good fit somewhere in or adjacent to the Farmer's Market area.

User avatar
NdoorTX
Posts: 178
Joined: 21 Nov 2016 02:27

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby NdoorTX » 03 Sep 2019 17:40

[quote=A little off topic, but, speaking of international restaurant chains, it's a shame that San Martin didn't end up switching plans to move Downtown. I'm not sure how they are faring in Uptown, but I really do think they would have been a really good fit somewhere in or adjacent to the Farmer's Market area.[/quote]

I don't know about business during the week, but I've been to San Martin recently- twice- in the last month. It has seemed quite busy with clients waiting and a full dining room and bakery. I'd guess they are doing well. The clientele seems to be quite mixed too. Not just the "Uptown" crowd. There are families and what seems to be a lot of Latino families who know of the bakery. It's quite good too, but the service can be spotty. Not bad, just not up to speed sometimes.

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 559
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby eburress » 03 Sep 2019 23:42

Every time I've been to San Martin it's been packed.

DPatel304
Posts: 1542
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Sep 2019 10:36

I've been twice and both times it's been busy as well. I still find the location to be very odd and it's very hidden even though it's right near McKinney Ave.

I suppose if business is good, then they are clearly doing it right. I just wish it would be in a more prominent location, because it's a pretty nice looking space.

DPatel304
Posts: 1542
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Sep 2019 12:31

OPENING FALL 2019
Dallas’ first authentic southern Italian ristorante. At Partenope, you’re not just a patron, you’re part of our story – and part of our family. Benvenuto in famiglia!

https://www.facebook.com/partenopedallas/

Address is listed as 1903 Main Street. This is the first I'm hearing of this restaurant and not much else seems to be known at this time, but this looks like a great location for another restaurant.

User avatar
dukemeredith
Posts: 291
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:17
Location: Downtown Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby dukemeredith » 04 Sep 2019 14:33

DPatel304 wrote:
OPENING FALL 2019
Dallas’ first authentic southern Italian ristorante. At Partenope, you’re not just a patron, you’re part of our story – and part of our family. Benvenuto in famiglia!

https://www.facebook.com/partenopedallas/

Address is listed as 1903 Main Street. This is the first I'm hearing of this restaurant and not much else seems to be known at this time, but this looks like a great location for another restaurant.


This upcoming restaurant was recently featured in Eater Dallas's "Most Anticipated New Restaurants, Fall 2019," published yesterday. I'm very happy to see that space finally filled.

https://dallas.eater.com/2019/9/3/20841 ... -fall-2019

DPatel304
Posts: 1542
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Sep 2019 14:48

Thanks for sharing, I must have missed that article. According to that, it looks like this restaurant might open within the next month or so.

I'm loving the steady flow of infill into the Downtown area.

Here's another one that just opened in the West End area:
Cambodian Cuisine Arrives in Downtown Dallas Next Week
https://dallas.eater.com/2019/8/22/2082 ... own-dallas

User avatar
dukemeredith
Posts: 291
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 12:17
Location: Downtown Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby dukemeredith » 04 Sep 2019 15:07

It is amazing to reflect on the progress and setbacks that Downtown Dallas retail has experienced in the mere three years since I have lived here!

willyk
Posts: 514
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby willyk » 05 Sep 2019 02:49

Any word on what’s going into the old Sol Irlandes space on Main St.?

lakewoodhobo
Posts: 992
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 13:49
Location: Elmwood, Oak Cliff

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Sep 2019 13:17

Looks like the burger place Burguesa is taking over part of the Which Wich space that used to be their test kitchen. Chop House Burger continues to be surprisingly popular in this immediate area so I'm not totally shocked by this.

Also, the new entrance to Partenope at 1900 Elm looks a lot nicer than the smaller one it replaced.

IMG_3591.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster
Posts: 2123
Joined: 22 Oct 2016 16:33
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Tnexster » 23 Sep 2019 14:28

willyk wrote:Any word on what’s going into the old Sol Irlandes space on Main St.?


Did anything ever get announced for this location?

User avatar
Matt777
Posts: 663
Joined: 28 Oct 2016 09:10

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Matt777 » 23 Sep 2019 14:46

lakewoodhobo wrote:Looks like the burger place Burguesa is taking over part of the Which Wich space that used to be their test kitchen. Chop House Burger continues to be surprisingly popular in this immediate area so I'm not totally surprised by this.


Do you know if this Burguesa location is in addition to the one underground at Renaissance Tower, or a replacement?

User avatar
uptown74
Posts: 40
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 19:00

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby uptown74 » 23 Sep 2019 18:45

Tnexster wrote:
willyk wrote:Any word on what’s going into the old Sol Irlandes space on Main St.?


Did anything ever get announced for this location?


From a Sept 4 article in CultureMap Dallas:

"Queso Beso. Another concept from downtown Dallas kingpin Tim Headington, this will open at 1525 Main St. This being a Headington project, there's no info available on opening date or cuisine, but "queso" surely implies Mexican."

willyk
Posts: 514
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby willyk » 23 Sep 2019 22:27

uptown74 wrote:
Tnexster wrote:
willyk wrote:Any word on what’s going into the old Sol Irlandes space on Main St.?


Did anything ever get announced for this location?


From a Sept 4 article in CultureMap Dallas:

"Queso Beso. Another concept from downtown Dallas kingpin Tim Headington, this will open at 1525 Main St. This being a Headington project, there's no info available on opening date or cuisine, but "queso" surely implies Mexican."


This sounds promising, but does Mexican make sense with Iron Cactus across the street?

User avatar
ArtVandelay
Posts: 194
Joined: 01 Nov 2016 12:44

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby ArtVandelay » 24 Sep 2019 08:30

Matt777 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:Looks like the burger place Burguesa is taking over part of the Which Wich space that used to be their test kitchen. Chop House Burger continues to be surprisingly popular in this immediate area so I'm not totally surprised by this.


Do you know if this Burguesa location is in addition to the one underground at Renaissance Tower, or a replacement?


It's interesting the Certificate of Occupancy issued in 2017 is for "WHICH WICH / SUPERNOVA COFFEE / BURGUESA"

I didn't realize the brands were related.

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 236
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby mdg109 » 25 Sep 2019 13:09

Noticed work being done at the corner of Main and Akard. I don't remember hearing anything about what could be going in here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
dd_dweller
Posts: 68
Joined: 24 Oct 2016 10:52

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby dd_dweller » 25 Sep 2019 13:21

mdg109 wrote:Noticed work being done at the corner of Main and Akard. I don't remember hearing anything about what could be going in here.


I believe that's part of the remodel that's being done to the building. They'll be adding more retail spaces to the ground floor.

User avatar
TXdesigner1
Posts: 1
Joined: 07 Dec 2016 09:21

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby TXdesigner1 » 26 Sep 2019 11:57

Does anyone know what is happening with 1301 Main? With the Davis under renovation next door, I would hope there is some type of plan.

User avatar
Jay9398
Posts: 110
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:35

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Jay9398 » 28 Sep 2019 10:29

TXdesigner1 wrote:Does anyone know what is happening with 1301 Main? With the Davis under renovation next door, I would hope there is some type of plan.


*Old* rumor I heard was that it was additional space for Headington office and food prep operations. No retail in the plan as of the time of that rumor (from a former Commissary employee).

User avatar
Redblock
Posts: 130
Joined: 24 Nov 2016 11:15

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Redblock » 03 Oct 2019 12:30

CiboDivino Centro has opened in Bryan Tower at Federal and Harwood.

itsjrd1964
Posts: 618
Joined: 28 Jul 2018 07:38

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby itsjrd1964 » 03 Oct 2019 14:17

Redblock wrote:CiboDivino Centro has opened in Bryan Tower at Federal and Harwood.


http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... wn-dallas/

User avatar
Cbdallas
Posts: 351
Joined: 29 Nov 2016 16:42

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Cbdallas » 03 Oct 2019 16:22

What no weekend service and couldn't they at least stay open until 9pm for the people actually living downtown...I guess this is just for office workers only.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 1864
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 04 Oct 2019 10:08

It's an office building amenity and that's it. The office tower owners are not interested in anything else. It's a true rarety for an office tower owner or management company to truly want to contribute to true city vitality. Their goal is to lease up the office space by offering a lunch spot that new tenants see as value. This space is far off from most Downtown residences as well. Put this tower near Main Street and I could see an even stronger argument for later hours. While I could easily see the Sheraton and Marriot customers being weekend customers as well but that kind of traffic is up and down. I wonder if Bryan Tower would even allow later hours or if from a security standpoint they would prefer to have the building without outside customers after hours.

DPatel304
Posts: 1542
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:49
Location: Turtle Creek

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Oct 2019 10:19

It's a shame, but I still see it as a step in the right direction. First we need to actually fill spaces, and, as demand increases, these business might start extending their hours.

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 359
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby dallaz » 14 Oct 2019 16:54

*Edit: duplicate post*


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Barrycb, worldwoh and 22 guests

Login