Downtown Dallas Retail

itsjrd1964

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby itsjrd1964 » 11 May 2021 12:56

Just saw the article about the local Royal Blue Grocery changes. I guess the Mercantilers need to watch for "Berkley's Market" instead.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... ry-dallas/

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 25 May 2021 09:49

Anyone know what’s going into 1519 Main? I drove by it and it was being demoed. I believe awhile ago it was mentioned that Bang & Olufsen was going in but that was awhile ago.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 25 May 2021 09:53

dd_dweller wrote:Anyone know what’s going into 1519 Main? I drove by it and it was being demoed. I believe awhile ago it was mentioned that Bang & Olufsen was going in but that was awhile ago.

Probably just getting the space ready to lease... Here's a flyer that was updated just about a month ago. Doesn't indicate any tenant for the space.

https://retailproperties.cbre.us/p/reta ... highlights

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 25 May 2021 12:02

Such a cool retail space if they opened it up like brochure rendering.

Roman_Patrick

Postby Roman_Patrick » 25 May 2021 12:58

I agree! Great space and location, I hope we get something good!

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 07 Jun 2021 12:10

Saw this at the old Ascension space on Elm. I tried looking up info, but I couldn't find anything.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 Jun 2021 12:21

Didn't know they closed that location. It was a busy location.

willyk

Postby willyk » 27 Jun 2021 05:33

Downtown Dallas skyscraper’s groundbreaking project welcomes guests to top-floor hotel

Santander Tower gets luxury accommodations with The Guild

High above the traffic on Elm Street and over the heads of busy office workers, guests are checking into an exclusive Dallas hotel.

Called The Guild, the innovative accommodations occupy the top two floors of downtown’s Santander Tower.

Skyscraper space that once housed corporate offices has been turned into 64 luxury hotel rooms. It’s a groundbreaking project by Austin-based The Guild Hotels.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2021/06/25/downtown-office-skyscraper-welcomes-guests-to-top-floor-hotel/

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Jun 2021 08:59

mdg109 wrote:Saw this at the old Ascension space on Elm. I tried looking up info, but I couldn't find anything.

I looked it up and see that one of the LLC's other addresses is 229 N Bishop Ave, occupied by La Reunion Cafe & Bar in Bishop Arts, so maybe an offshoot of that.
Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 8.53.26 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 8.59.34 AM.jpg

Whoever is involved knows their history. Notice "Old Theatre Row" under the name PARTERRE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 28 Jun 2021 09:59

La Reunion is a solid little bar/coffee shop in the new Exxir development in Bishop Arts. I went there the other day.

Would be cool if they incorporate some of the Old Theater Row vibes into the Parterre space.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Jun 2021 10:44

exelone31 wrote:La Reunion is a solid little bar/coffee shop in the new Exxir development in Bishop Arts. I went there the other day.

Would be cool if they incorporate some of the Old Theater Row vibes into the Parterre space.

Since this is almost the exact same spot where the Palace Theatre stood, I'd love to see a replica of the blade sign added, not unlike what Cambria did with the Tower Theatre sign.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 28 Jun 2021 11:05

Wow, I never knew there was a Dairy Queen downtown! Would be nice to have that now, but oh well....

willyk

Postby willyk » 13 Jul 2021 04:23

With all of the foot traffic running between the AT&T Discovery District and the four hotels at the east end of Commerce, the ground floor of the Neiman’s garage is screaming for a tenant. This space has been derelict for decades. It’s an eyesore on Commerce. Filling it in would be such a boost to the street.

After that let’s see a little bit of new restaurant/retail between the Statler and 300 Pearl, and then all of these new urban explorers will be able to stroll uninterrupted from the Discovery District to the Farmers Market

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 13 Jul 2021 20:01

Tnexster wrote:Didn't know they closed that location. It was a busy location.

Locked out by the landlord last year for lease default.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jul 2021 15:18

Well there was a pandemic and with almost no online orders from a location in the CBD where residents hadn't really made that space their home town coffee shop I am not surprised they didn't make it.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

bachmanlad

Postby bachmanlad » 23 Jul 2021 01:20

itsjrd1964 wrote:Wow, I never knew there was a Dairy Queen downtown! Would be nice to have that now, but oh well....

I agree on the DQ. And more broadly, more affordable food in downtown is always good.

That Lee's Optical place in the background has a pretty cool sign as well. I wish flamboyant signs like that were more common these days.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 23 Jul 2021 07:09

Signs like that are not allowed anymore, a tragic component of attempts from the 70s80s90s to make downtown an office part competitive with the wildly successful suburban development in Richardson, Plano....

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Jul 2021 14:07

Does anyone know the old signs from downtown were saved? I believe Dallas has a city owned old storage with a bunch of old artifacts. That's how the Pegasus in front of the Omni was found. Would be cool if someone tried finding these old signs and incorporating them in new developments

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 26 Jul 2021 09:58

I'd love to see signs like this come back... Something seemingly insignificant, yet so impactful.
And agreed, I'd love to see if there's more of these stockpiled somewhere.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jul 2021 11:35

Yall are in Dallas guys and while the city does have a small warehouse yard of some relics they do not have dozens of neon signs packed away awaiting reinstatement. Dallas tore down its history for a reason it was trying to modernize and leave the past in the dust as fast as it could run. Our City Hall is a concrete monolith leaning over a desolate plaza and tall glass towers surrounded by parking lots before tenants even were signed sprung up in place of decades old buildings. Historical Preservation does not permeate city hall let alone our citizen culture.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 26 Jul 2021 16:46

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Historical Preservation does not permeate city hall let alone our citizen culture.

Judging by the number of members here that want to level Deep Ellum, arguably the most historic area remaining in Dallas, and replace it with apartments and crap like the Stack and the Assembly, I'd have to say that city hall has nothing on this forum.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Jul 2021 17:13

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Historical Preservation does not permeate city hall let alone our citizen culture.

Judging by the number of members here that want to level Deep Ellum, arguably the most historic area remaining in Dallas, and replace it with apartments and crap like the Stack and the Assembly, I'd have to say that city hall has nothing on this forum.

Apparently you and I translate the Deep Ellum thread differently but that's no surprise to no one. Leveling and allowing dense development on plots that can accommodate it are not the same thing.

willyk

Postby willyk » 26 Jul 2021 23:50

Not crazy about the The Stack, but don’t hate it either. If that’s the worst thing that a developer has done in DE, then we are doing pretty good by Dallas standards.

On the other hand, the Epic/ Hamilton/ Pittman/ Good E complex is pretty great. And virtually every derelict storefront has been renovated and reopened, not torn down. Day time foot traffic from the new offices and residential will stabilize the neighborhood. Baylor, Ross Ave, FM and EQ are adding to the critical mass.

DE is changing, but I think its future as an historic neighborhood is safe, and it is probably in the best shape it has seen since its heydays.

LPG

Postby LPG » 27 Jul 2021 06:50

Hannibal Lecter wrote:

Hannibal Lecter wrote:It's sad how many people here are out of touch with the reality of urban living.

This isn't Sim City. Real people in a real neighborhood need real the same real businesses and services that everyone else does. Not another dozen Thai-Inspired Ice Cream Shops and Surf Board Fitness Studios.

The new 7-Eleven gas station on Commerce is huge a hit, because real people actually have to buy gas for their very real cars. Real people who don't want I-345 torn down, because it makes it easier for them to actually get places. Real people people who don't want Commerce and Elm converted to two-way streets because they don't want to spend 10 minutes going three blocks. And very real people who most definitely don't want bike lanes, because every on-street parking space is a precious gift from God.

https://www.centraltrack.com/deep-ellum ... -7-eleven/

Please quit trying to speak for groups of folks, whether that is the neighborhood or the forum, my dude.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 02 Aug 2021 17:00

CARBONE | Design District
DOUBLEDSDALLAS | Design District
NATIONAL ANTHEM | East Quarter
CLIFTON CLUB | Fitzhugh
HIDE | Lower Greenville
MAYER’S GARDEN | Henderson
SADELLE’S | Highland Park
THUNDERBIRD PIES | East Dallas

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSCSMQ2n3r6/

I know only one of these is in the CBD/Downtown, but I didn't really see any other good place to discuss retail openings in Dallas. It seemed like pre-COVID we'd hear about restaurant/bar openings all the time to the point where I felt like we were being oversatured. Obviously there has been a pretty big lull in the past year or so, but this list of opening seems pretty solid to me and some of these are in some key locations being opened by some solid teams.

I'm definitely excited the most for some restaurants/retail to start opening in the East Quarter so people can start enjoying all the changes that have been happening there.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 08 Aug 2021 13:42

I saw that the signage on 1514 Elm got switched a few weeks ago from "Modern Vintage" to "Beehive". I couldn't find much info on it online.

dalbert

Postby dalbert » 09 Aug 2021 14:24

Zero Gradi, sibling to 400 Gradi, is now open on Ross

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/20 ... in-dallas/

LPG

Postby LPG » 18 Aug 2021 13:09

Giddy up: The Adolphus hotel’s Rodeo Bar is expected to reopen in mid-fall 2021 in downtown Dallas.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... wn-dallas/

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 18 Aug 2021 14:04

Sounds good to me! Let's get some more restaurants/retail which could potentially draw from all the activity in the Discovery District.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Oct 2021 13:53

I missed the previous post about 1519 Main potentially getting a new glass facade, but here it is looking closer to how it's depicted in the rendering.

IMG_0621.jpg

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Oct 2021 14:41

I've always been interested in these buildings just south of the George Allen Courthouse because they seem to have survived more than one push for "urban renewal" in that side of downtown. They were built in 1945 and 1955 per DCAD.

As much as I like murals and breeze blocks, I'm really disappointed with what they did with 600 Jackson St, especially the combination of stucco and wood that's already beyond dated.

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.31.36 PM.jpg
IMG_0622.jpg

vman

Postby vman » 11 Oct 2021 15:09

lakewoodhobo wrote:I've always been interested in these buildings just south of the George Allen Courthouse because they seem to have survived more than one push for "urban renewal" in that side of downtown. They were built in 1945 and 1955 per DCAD.

As much as I like murals and breeze blocks, I'm really disappointed with what they did with 600 Jackson St, especially the combination of stucco and wood that's already beyond dated.

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.31.36 PM.jpgIMG_0622.jpg

When did that happen? It really does kind of throw that block off balance. Such a shame, I've always liked that group of buildings.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 11 Oct 2021 15:26

lakewoodhobo wrote:I've always been interested in these buildings just south of the George Allen Courthouse because they seem to have survived more than one push for "urban renewal" in that side of downtown. They were built in 1945 and 1955 per DCAD.

Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 2.31.36 PM.jpgIMG_0622.jpg

Honestly hadn't ever seen/paid attention to 600 Jackson's new facade. Yeah, the stucco already sucks. I don't mind the wood, but that stucco's gotta go.

Also, just seeing this picture makes me think of what could be possible here with a road diet... Widening the sidewalks with some bike lanes and trees... Sigh.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Oct 2021 16:45

These bottle service clubs are such trash but like cockroaches they pop up party hard for a year and then are gone when people get bored with that one and move to the next. Then someone else picks up the left over finished out space and try's the same with another name and fails as well. Course I imagine most of the people that invest in bottle service bars are looking to rake in the dough at the beginning and don't expect these places to last long. Buy's Titos for $10 from supplier charges $500 for bottle plus mixers. The good investors are the ones who probably try to rake in the dough in the short term and cash out before the crowd moves. Bottle Blonde is more of a long play but these quickie ones that pop up in random derelict buddings are trash.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 11 Oct 2021 19:07

I checked out the Google maps timeline, and it looks like they kept the brick facade intact, and just placed the stucco on wood framing over the brick. At least nothing got torn down. I'm really interested to see how this affects this generally quiet part of downtown on the weekends.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Oct 2021 21:13

mdg109 wrote:I checked out the Google maps timeline, and it looks like they kept the brick facade intact, and just placed the stucco on wood framing over the brick. At least nothing got torn down. I'm really interested to see how this affects this generally quiet part of downtown on the weekends.

These are not new businesses. They've been there since the pandemic came on. The festive place Is a defunct taco place. Next to it is a private club. So not a party scene place.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Oct 2021 09:20

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:These are not new businesses. They've been there since the pandemic came on. The festive place Is a defunct taco place. Next to it is a private club. So not a party scene place.

RokWood is a bottle service night club like I mentioned above. https://rokwooddallas.com/ It may have been there before the façade change that I don't know but its bottle service bouncer club like the rest of Deep Ellum is switching to.

doubdfw67

Postby doubdfw67 » 25 Oct 2021 22:02

My company owns the La Quinta Dallas Downtown and I toured Rokwood. It is absolutely beautiful. A huge amount of money was invested into that interior. I quite like it.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Oct 2021 05:38

OMG, finish the ceiling. Exposed ductwork is a tacky trend that ought to have run it's course by now. Especially in place selling champagne taste, no budget kinda place.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Nov 2021 09:31

Freebirds World Burritos is coming to DT near the Arts District at 2000 Ross Ave.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... wn-dallas/

vman

Postby vman » 02 Nov 2021 10:27

Kelley USA wrote:Freebirds World Burritos is coming to DT near the Arts District at 2000 Ross Ave.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... wn-dallas/

Freebirds should do really well downtown. Hopefully they'll have weekends hours, plus it's a short walk to Klyde Warren from here.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Nov 2021 12:17

That's a nice little strip of restaurants. Glad they did that on the ground level.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 02 Nov 2021 19:13

A couple of updates off Elm by the majestic: the former Petro Bistro Bar will become Toussaint, and Kitchen & Cocktails added some patio space. I just wish the surface lots nearby would turn into something now. Also, Parterre (former Ascension), had a soft opening over the weekend.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 Nov 2021 10:00

mdg109 wrote:A couple of updates off Elm by the majestic: the former Petro Bistro Bar will become Toussaint, and Kitchen & Cocktails added some patio space. I just wish the surface lots nearby would turn into something now. Also, Parterre (former Ascension), had a soft opening over the weekend.

Thanks for the update! Been wondering what was going on with Petro. I was showing the lobby of the Cambria to friends from out of town and was disappointed with all the changes since we shot some of our wedding photos there a couple of years ago.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 08 Nov 2021 13:12

This is the former Chipotle at West End space. I'm happy this space if finally filled, but we're still missing the Sonny Bryan's space, Landry's, TGI Friday's, Spaghetti Warehouse, et al.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 30 Jun 2023 16:38

Dallas has some of the nation’s best pizza and bagels, 2 lists say
Time to (re) visit Partenope pizza and Starship Bagel.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... -pubs-say/

The national media is throwing some love to Dallas this week on two of our favorite food topics: pizza and bagels.

Robb Report says Partenope Ristorante, a Neapolitan-style pizzeria in downtown Dallas, is the 16th best pizzeria in America, among their list of 50. And Bon Appétit went on a mission to find great bagels and picked Starship Bagel — which has shops in Lewisville and downtown Dallas — as one of the United States’ best.