Dallas Fort Worth Urban Forum

Downtown Dallas Retail

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 2451
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 May 2020 11:58

I saw that lots of Downtown residents got up this morning and started help clean up. COVID has made so many of those businesses suffer financially and now this. My parents voted for Trump but even they knew what happened to that man was wrong but damaging private businesses doesn't help the cause at all.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 778
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Tucy » 30 May 2020 12:40

Wow, two businesses that are already teetering on the brink (Forty-five Ten and Nieman Marcus). It is not inconceivable this sort of thing could finish off the downtown locations for each.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 2451
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 May 2020 14:32

I am less worried about Neiman Marcus and Forty-five ten. I am more worried about all the smaller businesses there were badly hit. Dude Sweet moved all their stuff out of the new Downtown store fearing more damage tonight. The Pet supplies store Downtown Paws was hit too. Neiman's has filed for bankruptcy and Forty-Five Ten hasn't even reopened because Headington let go of all the employees go. Royal Blue was hit as was CVS too but Dallas police chased out the looters before they really made off with anything.

Most store fronts will have plywood windows by the end of day and will look like the empty downtown we used to know.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
Mgreen15
Posts: 49
Joined: 27 Mar 2017 09:38

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Mgreen15 » 30 May 2020 21:29

More looting again tonight. The CVS and Subway are a few of tonight’s casualties. After the destruction that occurred during last nights riots, why wouldn’t you just block off access to EMC streets at night for the remainder of the weekend? Or set a mandated curfew?

User avatar
CTroyMathis
Site Admin
Posts: 352
Joined: 13 Oct 2016 19:51

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby CTroyMathis » 30 May 2020 21:47

Today I noticed some of the rally/protesters kicked out potential looters at the 7-Eleven (which is boarded-up) under Doug's Gym.

Also, now this evening, much if not all of 1401 Elm's barricades have been re-arranged for a possible base camp across Elm St. Or some such use. . .

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 772
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby eburress » 31 May 2020 11:08

Mgreen15 wrote:More looting again tonight. The CVS and Subway are a few of tonight’s casualties. After the destruction that occurred during last nights riots, why wouldn’t you just block off access to EMC streets at night for the remainder of the weekend? Or set a mandated curfew?

Yeah, I don't understand how or why this is allowed to happen. The mayor, police, etc clearly have little control over the situation.

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 136
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby rono3849 » 31 May 2020 19:26

Sadly, this is the same pattern being repeated across America. From Atlanta to Chicago to New York to LA to Seattle, the looters & criminals have been able to wreck havoc in Downtown areas and adjacent neighborhoods. Downtown, Deep Ellum, Victory Park, & Uptown appear to the be the primary targets of this organized chaos. The local governments & police departments are inept and have lost control, which they never really had. They had no preparation for this onslaught. I guess the National Guard will be called in by Abbott here, Austin, & Houston. What a disaster for our country.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 2451
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 Jun 2020 10:07

I listened to the police scanner till about 3 am for the central region and it was mostly silent last night. I had friends who participated in the day time events and a few enjoyed the night time events as well Saturday. They were going on and on about how much a community event this is...
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1603
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 01 Jun 2020 11:10

Not enough police presence. And the city should have had designated areas for the protest. The EMC should have been closed off.

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 772
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby eburress » 01 Jun 2020 11:41

A theme I've noticed across the US is that the majority of the rioters aren't local to the particular city they're destroying, and haven't actually been a part of the protests, just the violence that followed. Listening to the Dallas police chief's press conference yesterday, she said that these criminals are being bussed in (from other parts of TX) which seems consistent with what's happening in other cities. So between that and the mysterious palettes of bricks which were delivered to protest sites in various cities, who's organizing and/or paying for this and to what end?

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 136
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby rono3849 » 01 Jun 2020 15:04

eburress wrote:A theme I've noticed across the US is that the majority of the rioters aren't local to the particular city they're destroying, and haven't actually been a part of the protests, just the violence that followed. Listening to the Dallas police chief's press conference yesterday, she said that these criminals are being bussed in (from other parts of TX) which seems consistent with what's happening in other cities. So between that and the mysterious palettes of bricks which were delivered to protest sites in various cities, who's organizing and/or paying for this and to what end?


George Soros & his accomplices.

User avatar
uptown74
Posts: 58
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 19:00

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby uptown74 » 01 Jun 2020 15:34

eburress wrote: So between that and the mysterious palettes of bricks which were delivered to protest sites in various cities, who's organizing and/or paying for this and to what end?


Central Track says those bricks (near Victory Park at least) have been there since February ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
emmasensei
Posts: 137
Joined: 21 Oct 2018 09:26
Location: Knox-Henderson

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby emmasensei » 01 Jun 2020 15:41

Yeah, contractors just leave supplies strewn on sidewalks for months on end in this town. There were bricks (and piles of wires, and trash, and plastic wrapping on the ADA-compliant curbs, and even entire street signs which could be an interesting projectile in a storm...) alongside Henderson Ave for weeks in January/Feburary before they finally stuck them in the sidewalks. I haven't seen any convincing evidence of a greater brick conspiracy beyond Dallas contractors who don't have enough accountability to clean up after themselves. David Blewett, D14 rep, is talking about this in detail on his Facebook page.

User avatar
eburress
Posts: 772
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 18:13

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby eburress » 01 Jun 2020 16:10

Yeah, there was an excuse for the palette of bricks found near Frisco's protest today as well (a nearby HOA-related project).

User avatar
TNWE
Posts: 288
Joined: 03 May 2017 09:42

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby TNWE » 02 Jun 2020 10:11

emmasensei wrote:Yeah, contractors just leave supplies strewn on sidewalks for months on end in this town. There were bricks (and piles of wires, and trash, and plastic wrapping on the ADA-compliant curbs, and even entire street signs which could be an interesting projectile in a storm...) alongside Henderson Ave for weeks in January/Feburary before they finally stuck them in the sidewalks. I haven't seen any convincing evidence of a greater brick conspiracy beyond Dallas contractors who don't have enough accountability to clean up after themselves. David Blewett, D14 rep, is talking about this in detail on his Facebook page.


Like so many conspiracy theories in our modern internet age, "the bricks were staged" made several trips around the world before the truth even had a chance to put its pants on.

Of course, if there weren't numerous videos of rioters happening upon these piles of abandoned construction materials and using them to smash windows or as projectiles to throw at police, the conspiracy theory never even gets off the ground. Kudos to Frisco PD for quickly removing the bricks, but shame on Dallas PD and others who failed to mitigate the danger. I'm sure they were worried about getting hit more claims of police brutality, but the second someone at a protest picks up a brick, they've waived any claim to being peaceful and more importantly, undermined the entire cause.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 778
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Tucy » 20 Jul 2020 14:37

So... is Forty-Five Ten effectively dead? They are not even open virtually any longer. Their website now consists of a single page with some mumbo-jumbo about remaining "closed due to regional restrictions". (As far as I know there are no "regional restrictions", stopping them from being open.)

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 2451
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Jul 2020 19:39

My understanding was that all employees were let go, not furloughed but permanently let go and that includes online stuff too. The only retail I thought that had reopened was stuff that Headington wasn't running under his company and the Joule itself. How many of the restaurants reopened?
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 891
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby R1070 » 20 Jul 2020 22:00

I wish this building could be incorporated into a larger mixed use building that would take up the back parking lot and eye ball park. Both are just not good for that space.

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 291
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby mdg109 » 27 Jul 2020 13:40

Looks like this one might be opening soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 2451
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jul 2020 14:26

I hope they are able to make a decent splash here its so much on the edge of progress its been hard to lease the space to anyone.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 291
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby mdg109 » 03 Aug 2020 17:10

La Tarte Tropezienne opened this weekend. I stopped by twice Saturday and Sunday, and both times it was pretty busy. This shot was taken close to 9pm on a Sunday night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 291
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby mdg109 » 18 Aug 2020 16:31

The section closest to The Majestic finally has the windows uncovered. There's still the whole dining room facing Harwood that is still being worked on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1603
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 Aug 2020 18:16

mdg109 wrote:The section closest to The Majestic finally has the windows uncovered. There's still the whole dining room facing Harwood that is still being worked on.

What's this place supposed to be?

User avatar
mdg109
Posts: 291
Joined: 31 Oct 2016 17:10

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby mdg109 » 19 Aug 2020 00:29

It's a restaurant/bar: truekitchenkocktails.com

User avatar
Cbdallas
Posts: 478
Joined: 29 Nov 2016 16:42

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby Cbdallas » 20 Aug 2020 12:25

Unfortunately for me spelling cocktails with a K is not going to make me run in there to check it out.

User avatar
LBK2013
Posts: 41
Joined: 01 May 2017 13:23

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby LBK2013 » 20 Aug 2020 12:58

Cbdallas wrote:Unfortunately for me spelling cocktails with a K is not going to make me run in there to check it out.


What if they call it True Citchen Kocktails?

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 2451
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 20 Aug 2020 13:13

I doubt the K spelling of cocktails will be the biggest issue they will face so no worries.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
FuturePlan
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 Oct 2018 22:33

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby FuturePlan » 23 Aug 2020 21:45

I went to True Kitchen + Kocktails for their grand opening weekend and it was great despite the issues that come with grand openings and such. A beautiful interior with multiple spaces and good food, drinks, and music. My understanding is that they are booked via reservations until sometime in September (though I did hear single reservations are still available here and there).

Also, the "K" in Kocktails may be an ode to the Fraternity that the owner is a member of...not for sure but that's my guess. I also think the General Manager told me that they would be open for lunch this week, so ill probably pop in from my office too.

User avatar
vman
Posts: 153
Joined: 24 Oct 2016 07:44

Re: Downtown Dallas Retail

Postby vman » 24 Aug 2020 07:25

FuturePlan wrote:I went to True Kitchen + Kocktails for their grand opening weekend and it was great despite the issues that come with grand openings and such. A beautiful interior with multiple spaces and good food, drinks, and music. My understanding is that they are booked via reservations until sometime in September (though I did hear single reservations are still available here and there).

Also, the "K" in Kocktails may be an ode to the Fraternity that the owner is a member of...not for sure but that's my guess. I also think the General Manager told me that they would be open for lunch this week, so ill probably pop in from my office too.

A couple of friends of mine with this weekend and really loved the place. Like you, I'll probably pop in for lunch during the week.
Also, it's so good to see this building's retail space utilized. I remember reading an article about the owner's law firm going into the building a few years ago. I'm glad he's putting resources into his building and bringing it to life.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests

Login