Uptown/Victory Park: NorthEnd

cowboyeagle05

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 May 2022 17:11

The question is how quickly will Goldman Sachs move forward on moving to Dallas before 2028. If they and the city are happy with a deal Goldman could easily move more and more employees towards the area as the tower plans continue to become actual construction using existing space for even short terms leases depending on how much is truly consolidation vs new hires or relocations from other markets. If Goldman Sachs does sign on the dotted line much like the Uber HQ did continue to send surrounding development skyrocketing. Other developers have known this was happening for well over a year and I am sure some are eager to see the dotted line signed only making their Uptown, Oak Lawn, Design District, CBD, and Deep Ellum investments more valuable.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

LBK2013

Postby LBK2013 » 23 May 2022 17:14

2028 is only 5.5 years away. Some of the projects being discussed on this board have been on the drawing board for that long lol.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 23 May 2022 17:19

True. But I guess since the project has been talked about for awhile now…I guess I thought it would’ve started much sooner.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 23 May 2022 17:27

True. KWP was talked about here for 10 years before it finally opened. It still isn't an office building. Yet. ; )
Museum Tower was talked about for 12 years here. It was originally supposed to be an office building with eleventy different designs.

It takes a ridiculous 2-3 years to build a building these days here. So, where is 2024-2026ish? Just having fun.

Personally, I'm not really worried. It'll progress as is justified/market-supported I suppose. The park part is an lol, though. This site was perfect for a crazy idea baseball stadium anyway - just my idea, not someone elses. The dimensions were fun. The outfield could've been condo balconies, but, whatev.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 23 May 2022 17:36

LBK2013 wrote:2028 is only 5.5 years away. Some of the projects being discussed on this board have been on the drawing board for that long lol.

No doubt, but it's rather unusual, to say the least, when you have a a tenant in hand that wants 800,000 square feet. . .

rickbansal

Postby rickbansal » 10 Jun 2022 07:29

DMN article by Steve Brown
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2022/06/10/goldman-sachs-office-tower-near-downtown-dallas-will-be-the-largest-in-a-generation/

Looks like the 6/22 council meeting will have a tremendous domino effect on other proposed development projects. Should be interesting...

vman

Postby vman » 10 Jun 2022 11:03

rickbansal wrote:DMN article by Steve Brown
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2022/06/10/goldman-sachs-office-tower-near-downtown-dallas-will-be-the-largest-in-a-generation/

Looks like the 6/22 council meeting will have a tremendous domino effect on other proposed development projects. Should be interesting...

I didn't know the Goldman Sachs office consolidation was a done deal...is it?

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 10 Jun 2022 11:22

vman wrote:

Probably not yet a done deal, but usually a good sign that a city is actually voting on incentives, etc. - so cautiously optimistic..

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 10 Jun 2022 13:10

Hunt.Downtown.Proposal (1) (1).jpg

If this tower actually comes to fruition, then I believe this area of Downtown will see more towers of significance over time as businesses associated with Goldman Sachs will want to be close to their main client. Synergies will develop, which will fuel additional growth for the city.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 10 Jun 2022 14:15

Impressive looking development that if it happens would hopefully raise the bar with our local conservative developers. However, wouldn’t count on that 80 story tower that Steve Brown keeps mentioning - unless someone can show us the FAA height approval.. Be lucky to get a 50 story-ish (office especially) approved.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 10 Jun 2022 16:20

mhainli wrote:Impressive looking development that if it happens would hopefully raise the bar with our local conservative developers. However, wouldn’t count on that 80 story tower that Steve Brown keeps mentioning - unless someone can show us the FAA height approval.. Be lucky to get a 50 story-ish (office especially) approved.

Oh I don't know. I think Goldman Sachs would love to make this kind of impact on the skyline. Ego, ego, ego.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 10 Jun 2022 16:43

rono3849 wrote:
mhainli wrote:Impressive looking development that if it happens would hopefully raise the bar with our local conservative developers. However, wouldn’t count on that 80 story tower that Steve Brown keeps mentioning - unless someone can show us the FAA height approval.. Be lucky to get a 50 story-ish (office especially) approved.

Oh I don't know. I think Goldman Sachs would love to make this kind of impact on the skyline. Ego, ego, ego.

You think that because. . . ?? Have they displayed that tendency anywhere?

Addison

Postby Addison » 10 Jun 2022 17:26

Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:

Tall urban buildings have traditionally been an expression of wealth and influence, since they tend to be so expensive to construct and have a huge impact on a city's skyline. This is especially true for big banks such as Goldman Sachs, who already occupies a noticeably tall building in NYC.

Now, a cynic could also say there's been no confirmation that the Dallas office will become Goldman Sachs new HQ, but we also don't know for certain that it won't. Given how increasingly hostile NY state has become for doing business and that GS has been focusing much of their workforce expansion here in Dallas, maybe their future plans will in fact be an HQ relocation as well.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 10 Jun 2022 17:32

Addison wrote:
Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:

Tall urban buildings have traditionally been an expression of wealth and influence, since they tend to be so expensive to construct and have a huge impact on a city's skyline. This is especially true for big banks such as Goldman Sachs, who already occupies a noticeably tall building in NYC.

Now, a cynic could also say there's been no confirmation that the Dallas office will become Goldman Sachs new HQ, but we also don't know for certain that it won't. Given how increasingly hostile NY state has become for doing business and that GS has been focusing much of their workforce expansion here in Dallas, maybe their future plans will in fact be an HQ relocation as well.

Noticeably tall? Yes, Goldmans Sachs' 44-story headquarters building would surely be noticeably tall in Dallas; not so much in NYC. And of course 80 stories would be well beyond "noticeably tall" in Dallas

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 10 Jun 2022 17:53

Tucy wrote:
rono3849 wrote:
mhainli wrote:...Be lucky to get a 50 story-ish (office especially) approved.

They have at 30 Hudson Street in Jersey City, but they lease lots of smaller offices in similar buildings like Bankers Hall in Calgary (crown designed to look like a silver/white cowboy hat), 2 IFC in Shanghai, Menara Maxis in KL, Cheung Kong Center in Hong Kong, and the new Marienturm in Frankfurt. However I think Hunt has consistently signalled that the office building is not going to be excessively showy and that the taller buildings in this plan are residential ones.

Addison

Postby Addison » 10 Jun 2022 18:49

Tucy wrote:Yes, Goldmans Sachs' 44-story headquarters building would surely be noticeably tall in Dallas; not so much in NYC.

Both of Goldman Sachs' biggest towers in NYC are definitely noticeably tall compared to the buildings nearby that surround them.

willyk

Postby willyk » 10 Jun 2022 23:11

mhainli wrote:
vman wrote:

Probably not yet a done deal, but usually a good sign that a city is actually voting on incentives, etc. - so cautiously optimistic..

I heard that some residents of the North End Apartments just received an email offering them $5K to terminate their leases early.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 11 Jun 2022 09:57

Addison wrote:
Tucy wrote:Yes, Goldmans Sachs' 44-story headquarters building would surely be noticeably tall in Dallas; not so much in NYC.

Both of Goldman Sachs' biggest towers in NYC are definitely noticeably tall compared to the buildings nearby that surround them.

And those same buildings would be even more noticeably tall in uptown Dallas. Again, an 80 story building would be well above “noticeably tall”. There really is nothing in Goldman Sachs’s building history to suggest they are likely to build an 80-story building to feed their ego.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Jun 2022 10:22

Noticeably tall or not, the most recent generation of growth to the downtown Dallas skyline certainly needs a skyscraper that is uniquely recognizable as 'Dallas'. The Crescent doesn't stand out anymore, as it should be, but so far the Uptown/Victory addition to Downtown Dallas is visually Anywhere USA.

Personally, I'd like to see such a landmark closer to the Katy Trail, but whatever.

Addison

Postby Addison » 11 Jun 2022 10:48

tamtagon wrote:Noticeably tall or not, the most recent generation of growth to the downtown Dallas skyline certainly needs a skyscraper that is uniquely recognizable as 'Dallas'. The Crescent doesn't stand out anymore, as it should be, but so far the Uptown/Victory addition to Downtown Dallas is visually Anywhere USA.

Personally, I'd like to see such a landmark closer to the Katy Trail, but whatever.

Agreed.

dalbert

Postby dalbert » 13 Jun 2022 12:23

North End Apts are half a mile down the street from the Katy Trail's southern trailhead

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 14 Jun 2022 00:29

Is it odd that there’s not a name attached to such a high profile, or soon to be, of a project? You would think as far as marketing is concerned, that there would be a sexy name slapped on this project

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 14 Jun 2022 05:46

zblevinz555 wrote:Is it odd that there’s not a name attached to such a high profile, or soon to be, of a project? You would think as far as marketing is concerned, that there would be a sexy name slapped on this project

There'll be a sexy (or dumbass, or whatever) name attached soon enough.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 14 Jun 2022 09:01

Goldmans Folly

Urbancowboy

Postby Urbancowboy » 14 Jun 2022 10:06

Either way, I'm just glad they are building a skyscraper that will enhance the Dallas skyline and bring thousands more people to the city. Great news folks!

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 14 Jun 2022 14:46

Is the central tower in the rendering the GS office or is that residential? The rendering makes it look like it might be a mixed use tower and the other towers around it are either all office or all residential.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 14 Jun 2022 15:15

MC_ScattCat wrote:Is the central tower in the rendering the GS office or is that residential? The rendering makes it look like it might be a mixed use tower and the other towers around it are either all office or all residential.

Agreed that central tower looks like a mixed-used building. Plus it has very small footprint, espcecially on the upper levels; not likely to be all office space in that design. It seems pretty likely the ultimate building(s) will have little resemblance to the renderings initially put out by the developers.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jun 2022 15:21

Those are concept renderings at the least meant to attract a tenant for office space and influence city staff and city council to approve of zoning and exclusive tax incentives. Once they get a tenant like Goldman Sachs in a meeting they discuss what will it take to get Goldmann Sachs to sign on the dotted line and the architects start making revisions conceptually speaking.

I think the middle tower was a hotel/condo tower. Office towers don't have balconies unless it's a large amenity balcony. The two boxy towers on the edge of the rendering that is largely boring are probably the theoretical office towers but we just need to dig back into the thread for the previous site layout diagrams.

Added below for clarity.

137199053_108813847822073_8980044949768368247_n.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 14 Jun 2022 15:24

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Those are concept renderings at the least meant to attract a tenant for office space and influence city staff and city council to approve of zoning and exclusive tax incentives. Once they get a tenant like Goldman Sachs in a meeting they discuss what will it take to get Goldmann Sachs to sign on the dotted line and the architects start making revisions conceptually speaking.

I think the middle tower was a hotel/condo tower. Office towers don't have balconies unless it's a large amenity balcony. The two boxy towers on the edge of the rendering that is largely boring are probably the theoretical office towers but we just need to dig back into the thread for the previous site layout diagrams.

I think that is exactly right. We shouldn't be surprised if the actual plans end up bearing little resemblance at all to the initial "click-bait" renderings.

rickbansal

Postby rickbansal » 14 Jun 2022 16:04

Fyi, I was talking with an executive from Goldman this past Saturday (at a social gathering) and he confirmed that Goldman will be consolidating their DFW workforce in a new building next to Perot Museum as well as adding thousands of additional jobs. He didn't believe Goldman would move their HQ to Dallas though.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 15 Jun 2022 18:20

MC_ScattCat wrote:Is the central tower in the rendering the GS office or is that residential? The rendering makes it look like it might be a mixed use tower and the other towers around it are either all office or all residential.

As others have said, according to the plans we have, the big boy (83-story, 890-foot tall tower) would be hotel on lower levels, condos up top.

Here's the link to the project on my personal development tracker.
Note: After clicking on the link, make sure you scroll down; there's a lot of metadata properties that push the main blocks of info down. Once you get to those sections (Images & Renders, Information & Notes, etc.), click on the arrow to the left of the text to expand those sections and view the content inside.

Not comprehensive with every single piece of information, but I pull as much as I can into one place to make it easier for me to reference things in the future, so maybe there will be some useful stuff in there for y'all.

Here's the image with more information on each building's uses.
NorthEndRedevelopmentUses.png

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 16 Jun 2022 09:41

^This makes much more sense to me now. Thanks

So if Goldman comes, we could see one of the tall office towers make and the rest is a maybe? I like the tall residential a little more as a mixed use tower but think that one is still a stretch.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 16 Jun 2022 10:33

Hunt.Dallas.NIGHT.jpg

They keep mentioning the 80+ story tower in this development, so I have to believe this one will be the focus of the development. There are four towers, so we'll see which one actually breaks ground. My sense is that this development is going to move forward, despite the economic climate.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 16 Jun 2022 11:20

rono3849 wrote:Hunt.Dallas.NIGHT.jpg
They keep mentioning the 80+ story tower in this development, so I have to believe this one will be the focus of the development. There are four towers, so we'll see which one actually breaks ground. My sense is that this development is going to move forward, despite the economic climate.

Well, Steve Brown keeps mentioning the 80+ story tower . . . but . . .

Yes, with Goldman Sachs on board and the city throwing in a heavy subsidy, it seems clear 'this development" is very likely to move forward. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will look much like the initial renderings. (I expect a beautiful development with striking and lovely building(s), just not the buildings rendered)

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 16 Jun 2022 11:52

Tucy wrote:

Yes, with Goldman Sachs on board and the city throwing in a heavy subsidy, it seems clear 'this development" is very likely to move forward. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will look much like the initial renderings. (I expect a beautiful development with striking and lovely building(s), just not the buildings rendered)

Well said. I imagine this development, along with Portman Holdings' aggressive plans for their 50-story tower, will put a chill on the other Field Street proposed projects. I can't see Hillwood Urban's tower getting any traction now. I suspect Perot must be looking at shopping that plot of land since they haven't been able to move forward on their many different towers in even the best of times.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 16 Jun 2022 11:53

rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:

Well said. I imagine this development, along with Portman Holdings' aggressive plans for their 50-story tower, will put a chill on the other Field Street proposed projects. I can't see Hillwood Urban's tower getting any traction now. I suspect Perot must be looking at shopping that plot of land since they haven't been able to move forward on their many different versions of towers in even the best of times.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 17 Jun 2022 06:03

undefinedprocess wrote:

As others have said, according to the plans we have, the big boy (83-story, 890-foot tall tower) would be hotel on lower levels, condos up top.

Here's the link to the project on my personal development tracker.
Note: After clicking on the link, make sure you scroll down; there's a lot of metadata properties that push the main blocks of info down. Once you get to those sections (Images & Renders, Information & Notes, etc.), click on the arrow to the left of the text to expand those sections and view the content inside.

Not comprehensive with every single piece of information, but I pull as much as I can into one place to make it easier for me to reference things in the future, so maybe there will be some useful stuff in there for y'all.

Here's the image with more information on each building's uses.
NorthEndRedevelopmentUses.png

Thanks for posting that image. Interestingly, the “South Block” building is almost exactly the size we are told Goldman Sachs is taking. (806,000 square feet of office; Steve Brown tells us G-S is taking 800,000)
Last edited by Tucy on 17 Jun 2022 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

rickbansal

Postby rickbansal » 17 Jun 2022 17:17

rono3849 wrote:
rono3849 wrote:
Tucy wrote:

Well said. I imagine this development, along with Portman Holdings' aggressive plans for their 50-story tower, will put a chill on the other Field Street proposed projects. I can't see Hillwood Urban's tower getting any traction now. I suspect Perot must be looking at shopping that plot of land since they haven't been able to move forward on their many different versions of towers in even the best of times.

Perot/Hillwood should stick to building warehouses.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 17 Jun 2022 18:25

Hillwood.tower.jpg
hillwood.new.tower.2.jpg
hillwood.round.tower.jpeg
Hillwood.Urban.Field.jpg

rickbansal wrote:Perot/Hillwood should stick to building warehouses.

Perot has rolled out four different renderings in the past five years of proposed towers for his prime Field Street location without gaining any traction. Hillwood Urban excels at building low to mid-rise buildings in primarily suburban environments. The Downtown tower is really out of the company's league. They should have stuck with their proposed multi-use buildings, but apparently, they couldn't get any residential companies or hoteliers interested in their any of their developments, including the 80+ story tower designed by the renowned Norman Foster.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 17 Jun 2022 22:18

I think the 3001 TC Four Seasons development involves them although maybe not thru Hillwood

Edit: Hillwood owns the 3001 site but Carpenter & Co. is the developer if I understood correctly
Last edited by I45Tex on 17 Jun 2022 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 17 Jun 2022 22:25

The first photo was the best design.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 17 Jun 2022 22:31

The first photo would fit better in SA or Austin IMHO

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 18 Jun 2022 03:12

I45Tex wrote:I think the 3001 TC Four Seasons development involves them although maybe not thru Hillwood

Edit: Hillwood owns the 3001 site but Carpenter & Co. is the developer if I understood correctly

And it seems to be progressing in about the same manner as the Field Street project.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 20 Jun 2022 00:02

I really hope the Northend redevelopment pushes forward... I want GS to land in one of the office towers as does everyone else, but I really want the 83-story hotel/condo tower to happen, and not just for the height. Based on the image I posted above, that would bring 595 residential units to the core, and according to what we've been told previously, they'd all be condos. That'd be incredible for the city... Establishing more property owners in/near Downtown would be amazing.

Fingers crossed Hunt can pull this off (the GS relo and the 83-story tower). Wouldn't mind seeing the mass-timber office building come to fruition, too.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 20 Jun 2022 09:00

Privately-owned Public Spaces tend to be a different animal than actual parks. I would like the city to negotiate the outdoor "amenity" to at least be managed by, if not deeded to, the entity that operates the downtown parks (but please not run by the same tourism entity that wants the parking deck phase of KWP...)

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 20 Jun 2022 10:04

undefinedprocess wrote:I really hope the Northend redevelopment pushes forward... I want GS to land in one of the office towers as does everyone else, but I really want the 83-story hotel/condo tower to happen, and not just for the height. Based on the image I posted above, that would bring 595 residential units to the core, and according to what we've been told previously, they'd all be condos. That'd be incredible for the city... Establishing more property owners in/near Downtown would be amazing.

Fingers crossed Hunt can pull this off (the GS relo and the 83-story tower). Wouldn't mind seeing the mass-timber office building come to fruition, too.

It seems the development is very likely to push forward. Very exciting (ignoring the fact that, once again, the city is having to subsidize it).

But the 83-story tower still seems pretty unlikely. Where/when were we told the 595 residential unit in the tower would be condos? My goodness, it could take decades to sell that many high-dollar condos.

Addison

Postby Addison » 20 Jun 2022 10:50

Tucy wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:I really hope the Northend redevelopment pushes forward... I want GS to land in one of the office towers as does everyone else, but I really want the 83-story hotel/condo tower to happen, and not just for the height. Based on the image I posted above, that would bring 595 residential units to the core, and according to what we've been told previously, they'd all be condos. That'd be incredible for the city... Establishing more property owners in/near Downtown would be amazing.

It seems the development is very likely to push forward. Very exciting (ignoring the fact that, once again, the city is having to subsidize it).

But the 83-story tower still seems pretty unlikely. Where/when were we told the 595 residential unit in the tower would be condos? My goodness, it could take decades to sell that many high-dollar condos.

Hunt may be hedging on GS workers (who tend to make decent money) buying a significant number of those condos.

rickbansal

Postby rickbansal » 20 Jun 2022 12:00

Addison wrote:
Tucy wrote:

Hunt may be hedging on GS workers (who tend to make decent money) buying a significant number of those condos.

Agreed, the expected new hires will be higher up on the food chain.

st0760

Postby st0760 » 20 Jun 2022 21:58

While I would say the North End Apartments site is a lock at this point (too public to turn back, barring any political blowups), I think the final design of GS' space is going to surprise/disappoint a lot of people. 8-12 floors (still 600-800k SF) feels more likely based on their most recent office development in London (https://www.goldmansachs.com/our-firm/h ... court.html)

If I'm right, will be interested to see if the people here are still happy about the increased density, new jobs, and new residences, or will moan about not being architecturally significant enough.

Interesting article on GS buildings trying to not be noticeable (contrary to some of the views expressed above): https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2010 ... w-building