Uptown/Victory Park: NorthEnd

jetnd87

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby jetnd87 » 25 Jun 2021 12:55

What's the difference? Sorry might be missing something.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 25 Jun 2021 13:33

The rooftop vegetation. :-)

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 25 Jun 2021 13:59

Ha failed the kindergarten "what's different between two pictures" exercise. May need to sign off for the weekend...

eburress

Postby eburress » 25 Jun 2021 14:03

maconahey wrote:Image

I'm digging the amount of retail along Houston

Man, that would be incredible! That looks like an actual city downtown, which for us would be Downtown truly expanding north.

(hopefully some of this growth can extend back south into Downtown proper with some of the proposed projects in the area)

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 25 Jun 2021 14:36

They should paint the crosswalks with the MAV and Stars logos

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Jun 2021 14:59

Cbdallas wrote:They should paint the crosswalks with the MAV and Stars logos

Nah, although we should have a Dirk statue and/or mural nearby

R1070

Postby R1070 » 25 Jun 2021 23:56

I’m digging the changes, but 20 years to complete?! Wow…

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 26 Jun 2021 04:30

undefinedprocess wrote:
zblevinz555 wrote:Random ? but does anyone know how to I guess crop is what you’d call it maybe not but crop photos to where you can take projects like north end by hunt realty, field st tower, field st district, and NewPark and make a future skyline rendering by inserting these projects to a current skyline photo? Would be cool to see how downtown Dallas would look in the future, basically a hypothetical skyline assuming all these projects come to fruition.

I've actually been working on this, well, barely started, but have been procrastinating finishing. Trust me, I'm really interested in what it would look like to, done properly/at scale, especially with the Field St District and this project.

Hopefully, I can get some time to finish that soon.

Can’t wait to see it. When I’m going to work on 30 eastbound into downtown, I try to picture it. From that angle, our skyline would double in size. Disappointing that It’ll take 20 years for north end to complete, but hopefully Cali and east coast headquarter relo’s will expedite these projects. Obviously this is all assuming that these projects come to fruition

DFW

Postby DFW » 26 Jun 2021 12:42

That future street level scene is absolutely great, I would like someone to post both the new and current street level scene together just to see the difference. Thanks in advance.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Jun 2021 13:15

lakewoodhobo wrote:The only way to make this work would be to make it an extension of the Perot entrance, with compatible architecture and landscaping.

Maybe the city parks department, museum and developer of the private park will arrange for year-round displays. Whatever dinosaurs lived in the area get the stage in this park.

Maybe too much fun, but imagine cold winter evenings ice skating around a few life-sized T-Rex decked out in holiday lights.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 27 Jun 2021 01:39

Here’s the presentation from the city planning commission on 6/17…just in case anybody wants to see it

Starts at 3:55:00
https://dallastx.swagit.com/play/06182021-792
Last edited by dallaz on 27 Jun 2021 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

JDumont146

Postby JDumont146 » 27 Jun 2021 15:41

Wow. Can't believe how much of that I just watched. Reeeally hope this one gets moving ASAP.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 28 Jun 2021 09:12

For those of you who watched, what do you think of the "concerns" of nearly all who spoke against the project? I don't know that I heard but 1 non-W resident, and while in a way, the site plan could benefit from the "urban arboretum" stretching to the NW corner of the land (to be directly across from the AAC), I think their opposition stems solely from their fear of losing their "million dollar views." Do y'all agree..?

And W-resident views aside, do y'all think that it'd be better for the buildings to be aligned primarily on Houston or Field? I get the argument for Field in a way, as it is an 8-lane road, but, with that being said, the ground floor retail and the activation it would bring to Houston St seems pretty great to me. If anything, it'd be cool if the future towers could be spread throughout the property and not primarily on one side, but I guess that'd somewhat make their little "urban arboretum" more difficult.

Anyways, after watching the entire part of the meeting dedicated to this project, I'm definitely more in favor of it than I was before, and I already loved it before because it was ambitious, dense, and yeah yeah, tall residential (at least conceptually). But it seems like Hunt actually gives a shit or two. Maybe I'm naive, but it does seem like they've put a lot more thought and effort into this site than I thought, and definitely more than just about any other recent project I've seen in the core.
tamtagon wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:The only way to make this work would be to make it an extension of the Perot entrance, with compatible architecture and landscaping.

Maybe the city parks department, museum and developer of the private park will arrange for year-round displays. Whatever dinosaurs lived in the area get the stage in this park.

Maybe too much fun, but imagine cold winter evenings ice skating around a few life-sized T-Rex decked out in holiday lights.

Assuming this does come to fruition, I can't wait to see how the Perot is involved, especially with displays/outdoor events.
JDumont146 wrote:Wow. Can't believe how much of that I just watched. Reeeally hope this one gets moving ASAP.

You and me both.

JDumont146

Postby JDumont146 » 28 Jun 2021 18:36

I'm not sure what I think about the positioning of the buildings. It seems like the developer has to "wall" somebody off no mater how you slice it. If they put all of the buildings along Field street, it would create a sort of neighborhood park for Victory Park residents, but then it makes it more difficult for uptowners/people who live in/near Harwood to access it.

Honestly, I think as long as they create some easy access points to the park from all streets (which they described how they plan to do that) it's a win for everybody.

It was interesting to me when the W residents talked about the distance between their homes and the new towers being too close...in one way, I get it, but on the other hand, you signed up to live in an urban area that you know is likely to get very dense very soon. I wonder if those are normal complaints for dense, urban neighborhoods. Or if these are the types of complaints that cause sub-par urban design in Dallas. Anyone got insight on that?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Jun 2021 19:33

When uptown first started to grow like this, losing the view was a huge complaint.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 28 Jun 2021 19:54

DFW wrote:That future street level scene is absolutely great, I would like someone to post both the new and current street level scene together just to see the difference. Thanks in advance.

Here ya go :)

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 29 Jun 2021 09:16

maconahey wrote:
DFW wrote:That future street level scene is absolutely great, I would like someone to post both the new and current street level scene together just to see the difference. Thanks in advance.

Here ya go :)

Wow.

DFW

Postby DFW » 29 Jun 2021 09:55

Thanks, definitely a great infill.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Jun 2021 10:11

Nice pictures, always nice pics with these things. When do they plan to start?

RodB

Postby RodB » 29 Jun 2021 12:01

In about 15 years...maybe.

Warrior2020

Postby Warrior2020 » 29 Jun 2021 12:47

I want to really ask them why will this project take so long to complete? Like i can see dallas midtown having a 20 year build out considering its over 400 acres,but this is only 11 acres it just dosent make sense to me. That takes away the excitement for me.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 29 Jun 2021 14:03

I agree. It’s 3 high rises and a mid rise.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 29 Jun 2021 19:39

Because maybe they're being realistic in terms of their ability, or lack thereof, to attract corporate tenants?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 30 Jun 2021 11:57

Plus, factor in the remaining lease time of those who have apartments at NorthEnd, as well as the length of time the developers will need to attract tenants to the new spaces to be built there.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 Jun 2021 12:01

Honestly once you remove the greenery and empty out the retail in that rendering the buildings look the same as every boring corner of the CBD. The glass looks as brown and uninviting as every 1970-80's dead corner in the city already. You could confuse that rendering for a photo of Downtown and not tell that those are new and splashy buildings. Something Dallas is known for in Architecture Text books, Highway Architecture, buildings that look good from the highway but up close its dismal and boring.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 15 Jul 2021 22:49

I could’ve attached this site on multiple threads but it will be interesting to see where Goldman Sachs plants their flag in north Texas. As for the CBD, NewPark and the north end project seem like big contenders in play.

https://www.dmagazine.com/commercial-re ... as-campus/

willyk

Postby willyk » 16 Jul 2021 04:52

I can see Goldman wanting their name on a downtown building. They are part of the professional services and financial ecosystem that has made Uptown and Downtown home—law firms, accounting firms, consulting firms, private equity companies, family offices, investment banks, etc. Many of these companies are national and international businesses. Goldman will benefit greatly from a high visibility location among them.

Do they own 2000 Ross? Putting an office on that site, leasing it for their own offices, then selling or financing the building and making a profit on the whole project—that’s the kind of thing they would do.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 12 Aug 2021 09:27

Welp, this has received city council approval (with some changes), so one step closer to possibly becoming a reality.

Link to DMN article: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2021/08/11/huge-skyscraper-project-north-of-downtown-dallas-gets-thumbs-up-from-city/

To summarize from the article:
• Unanimous vote to approve
• Hunt agreed to plant larger trees and include more green space in park and along streets
• Approved plan also sets buildings further back from Houston St on west side

But I noticed something interesting... Maybe I'm reading too deeply into this, but what do y'all think about this?
“What we are trying for here is a mix of uses — a dynamic mix of retail, shops, restaurants, hotels, office buildings and of course the open space,” Fitzgibbons said.

Just above that in the article, this: "Hunt Realty’s 11-acre Field Street project has been in the works since last year and is planned to include office, residential and hotel towers and retail space just north of Woodall Rodgers Freeway."

We've all known that the originally proposed plan has residential, but when Fitzgibbons, the Hunt president, listed out all of the "dynamic uses," he listed everything but residential... Does this show that they aren't prioritizing residential, or are possibly even getting rid of it?

Like I said, I could be reading way too deeply into that, as that's just how my mind works, but curious to hear what y'all think about that.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Aug 2021 09:42

I don't think you can make any huge project like this work without residential these days. I thought it was intended to include residential, if it doesn't it isn't "dynamic" but that's just me.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 12 Aug 2021 09:50

Thanks for the link, and that's an interesting catch. For now, I'm going to assume he may have just simply forgot to say residential and that it doesn't mean much.

You could be on to something, but given that we are still in the very early stages of this development, I'll wait to see more information. The only reason I could see them nixing residential is if they landed some sort of big fish for the office component that they needed even more space and decided the residential had to be replaced with more office. I think this is all a stretch though, and I'm going to take a wait and see approach.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 12 Aug 2021 09:56

I would attach zero importance to that quote. It looks like it was just someone speaking off the cuff and "forgetting" to mention one of the elements of the project. As Tnexter said, the project makes no sense without residential.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Aug 2021 10:33

This was always marketed as a office project if you looked at all the walkthrough renderings/proposal. Hunt builds office projects and when something is this big residential is crammed into a random corner so that office can get the prime spot. Besides what quotes and info shows up in a article like that is always based on what the reporter thought was interesting or fit their story not what was actually said. Lord knows saying and we will have 500 luxury apartments is passé at this point.

Fitzgibbons said the existing Northend apartments aren’t going anywhere for a while. Hunt Realty has had full ownership of the property for 20 years and was a partner in the construction of the rental units.

“We are still signing 12-month leases,” he said. "It’s going to take every bit of nine months for the rezoning process.

“Then to design and finance the first phase, we are into 2023 before we truly start anything.”

Construction could start sooner if a corporate office tenant turns up.

Lets remember this is a zoning approval so they can start when ever they feel like if they ever feel like it.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Aug 2021 10:49

But couldn't you argue that this development is sort of surrounded by residential? There are probably 25 - 30 apartment / condo complexes all within easy walking distance to this, not to mention the number of hotels full of business travelers & visitors. But when all is said and done, I'm sure they'll work with someone to build an apartment tower. The project will take decades to fully complete and things will change over the course of many years.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 12 Aug 2021 14:43

The long timeline of this project baffles me. It’s only 4 towers and those have different uses. They could break it up into two phases, but I can’t see why 25-30 years is necessary for full build out.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 12 Aug 2021 15:18

They’ll build it when the economy allows and leases are signed. We’ll see if Hunt can pull off something special or just another phased development over many years. As far as the building heights, doubtful that the FAA would allow an 80 story tower this close to Love Field.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 12 Aug 2021 15:42

R1070 wrote:The long timeline of this project baffles me. It’s only 4 towers and those have different uses. They could break it up into two phases, but I can’t see why 25-30 years is necessary for full build out.

It also baffles me, but I appreciate a more conservative timeline. Not like some of these other projects which we hear about year after year with no motion. The Spire, for example, has been talked about for so long. It’ll likely be 25 years before anything breaks ground there.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Aug 2021 16:44

This will never ever materialize. I don't think it's coincidence all these land owners all came out at the same time with flashy renderings of what could be built.

Definitely some competition going around.

My read into the 24-30 year plan is that this is stretched out because A) there's no tenant.
B) it's not a real priority for them. Otherwise the Residential (and maybe the hotel) would have started by now.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Aug 2021 08:21

Notice how all the other proposed towers speak of ground breaking this year, once they get a tenant of course, while Hunt speaks of eventually they will do something. Hunt isn't expecting anyone soon but will start if a tenant like the recent Wells Fargo says yes I'll take that one.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 13 Aug 2021 12:49

Luckily this isn’t an empty lot in the meantime. I’d rather see infill on empty lots first.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 15 Aug 2021 07:51

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Notice how all the other proposed towers speak of ground breaking this year, once they get a tenant of course, while Hunt speaks of eventually they will do something. Hunt isn't expecting anyone soon but will start if a tenant like the recent Wells Fargo says yes I'll take that one.

Yes, Hunt has a current paying tenant (Field St apartments..) so it will take more new leases,etc to get them to tear down something that’s making money and start on redevelopment. I could see Hunt removing portions of that apartment complex over time as needed to build what they are proposing. Not ideal for the site, but seems typical to extract as many $s as possible before risking much….

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 15 Aug 2021 15:55

hunt.dallas.devel.day.jpg

If the project were to actually break ground in 2022, I wonder which tower they would build first? Would it be the tallest to make it a statement development?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 16 Aug 2021 00:48

I think they will add some retail as placeholders first, and then go vertical when tenants are announced. Although, I could see residential break ground. I jus don’t think anything will be going vertical for a long time. IMO, Green space and ground level retail is what well probly only see 5 years from now unfortunately, but all about demand obviously.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 17 Aug 2021 02:48

https://dallascityhall.com/government/m ... 20PLAN.pdf

Some details I found.

83, 52, 48,and 38 stories for the 4 towers

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Aug 2021 09:15

Concept towers mind you not actual proposals. I would stop getting hung up on these visuals that are there just to stir up City Hall to get the density zoning they want along with a generic property coverage approvals. When and if they ever get a tenant then we can talk about height and design cause this project right now is a Disney fantasy still on the library shelf. Also the visuals are there to grab headlines to hopefully help catch that big fish who wants to see their face in the mirror all day long and say yes I am a trophy wife. Once a tenant shows up the designs will all change to suit the actual demands of the tenant and real construction budgets.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 17 Aug 2021 12:27

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Concept towers mind you not actual proposals. I would stop getting hung up on these visuals that are there just to stir up City Hall to get the density zoning they want along with a generic property coverage approvals. When and if they ever get a tenant then we can talk about height and design cause this project right now is a Disney fantasy still on the library shelf. Also the visuals are there to grab headlines to hopefully help catch that big fish who wants to see their face in the mirror all day long and say yes I am a trophy wife. Once a tenant shows up the designs will all change to suit the actual demands of the tenant and real construction budgets.

Your gut feeling…do you think this ever gets off the ground?

DallasUno

Postby DallasUno » 17 Aug 2021 19:16

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Concept towers mind you not actual proposals. I would stop getting hung up on these visuals that are there just to stir up City Hall to get the density zoning they want along with a generic property coverage approvals. When and if they ever get a tenant then we can talk about height and design cause this project right now is a Disney fantasy still on the library shelf. Also the visuals are there to grab headlines to hopefully help catch that big fish who wants to see their face in the mirror all day long and say yes I am a trophy wife. Once a tenant shows up the designs will all change to suit the actual demands of the tenant and real construction budgets.

Tenants will definitely be a driving force but Hunt can afford to be ambitious with regards to the fact their sitting on what is already cash flowing. Cost of dirt and entitlements is not a limiting factor. That’s huuuge.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 25 Aug 2021 15:18

Hmm. Is this real? Or a fluff article?
It is Steve Brown…

Is Goldman Sachs targeting a big new development near downtown Dallas?
Now Goldman is zeroing in on Hunt Realty Investments’ planned Field Street mixed-use development on the northwest side of downtown as a location for up to 6,000 workers, according to several sources familiar with the deal who didn’t want to be identified because the information remains private.

Construction could start on the huge Field Street development as early as the second half of 2022.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... wn-dallas/

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Aug 2021 15:42

One could hope.. but never expect

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Aug 2021 16:11

quixomniac wrote:Hmm. Is this real? Or a fluff article?
It is Steve Brown…

The Steve Brown fluff pieces are epically obnoxious, but to give credit where it's due, he does tend to write these big lease stories after there's significant inside chatter and a deal is done, just not ready to be announced. It also makes sense now that Hunt was seeking city approval seemingly out of nowhere.

This is different from Amazon HQ2 speculation, I think. Not celebrating or anything, just being cautiously optimistic.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 25 Aug 2021 16:19

If something that large were to go in there, that could warrant the housing and hotel buildings to go up as well… maybe we wouldn’t have to wait 100 years for the development to be completed.