Uptown/Victory Park: NorthEnd

Tnexster

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Tnexster » 12 Oct 2022 11:59

It looks like the left over garage is string on top of the Goldman towers footprint.

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 12 Oct 2022 19:57

Today's demolition progress:

No clue why these appear upside down. Click on the pic to see it right side up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 13 Oct 2022 11:07

Glad these are gone. Would love to see a tower at that parking lot across from Tom Thumb and also the El Fenix properties go up.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Oct 2022 12:30

JUst tells you how bad these buildings were built cause they took no time to tear down. Like tents in a hurricane.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 14 Oct 2022 11:28

cowboyeagle05 wrote:JUst tells you how bad these buildings were built cause they took no time to tear down. Like tents in a hurricane.

When money talks, buildings crumble.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 14 Oct 2022 13:11

cowboyeagle05 wrote:JUst tells you how bad these buildings were built cause they took no time to tear down. Like tents in a hurricane.

And that's basically all apartment projects for the past several decades. Nothing's built to last and it shows in their designs. It sucks.
Don't have to worry about a historic landmark designation if nothing lasts long enough to reach it. :lol:

On the other hand I understand wanting to be malleable for future population growth, but when everything is disposable it makes for a pretty ugly city. These apartments were awful, but their replacement looks no less disposable, which I guess is my chief bummer about it. It's impossible to imagine the GS structure getting built without simultaneously seeing it get torn down in the same blink of historical time, and it will not have earned a single shed tear when that day comes.

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 20 Oct 2022 16:26

The last of the vertical structures is about to come down. All the concrete foundations are still in place. They have moved at a brisk pace.

Again, no idea why the thumbnails are upside down, but click on them to see it right side up. Anyone that can tell me how to prevent that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 20 Oct 2022 17:42

^^ I hope the trees are saved a long the perimeter.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Oct 2022 11:48

It's a hard fight cause now the root systems are disturbed, and saving them where they at they could die during construction but also, if they are moved they are likely to die as well despite even the best efforts.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 25 Oct 2022 14:00

Current status....

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 25 Oct 2022 14:37

These apartments were awful, but their replacement looks no less disposable, which I guess is my chief bummer about it.

These apartments were awesome. Maybe they are disposable now, but there used to be an empty burned out factory next to the AAC when it first opened, and some friends lived here and I was pretty jealous. This area was basically BFE, and they took a chance and built a complex here. In 1999 through like 2010, every apartment was required to be fenced in by most DFW cities. These apartments were like hair metal, kind of cool but blown away by the harder rap and grunge that came later as public ideas dramatically changed.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 25 Oct 2022 15:59

I never lived in these apartments but they seemed fine to me, and I'm okay with the fact that buildings are being built with the intention of being razed/replaced sometime down the line.

It sounds like these apartments served their purpose and made use of the land for what it was worth at the time. Now it's worth a lot more, and I'm so glad that it is being replaced and not sticking around much longer.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 26 Oct 2022 09:59

I lived at North End for 7 years when I first moved to Dallas and it was a great place. They were built before the AAC was and were adjacent to a brownfield. At the time, there's no way there was a higher and better use than 4-story apartments and they were quite pioneering then with the best pool/social scene in downtown/uptown for young adults. Once the AAC and Victory Park happened there was always a redevelopment plan in mind for the future. Those apartments served as a great home for +/- 800 people for over 20 years when there was almost no residential density in the area.

willyk

Postby willyk » 02 Nov 2022 04:43

With the apartments gone you can finally appreciate the size of the site— ginormous. They can build a lot of stuff here.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Nov 2022 09:21

Looking down on this from our office a couple days ago it looked like they have already scraped all of the foundations out, just saw a bunch of shallow holes where the buildings used to be. Wonder when they will start digging on Goldman

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 02 Nov 2022 09:54

Huge site, and looks like they are moving fast. Hope they can get the construction underway - must be ugly to have financing on a non-cashflow producing peice of land right now.

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 03 Nov 2022 17:19

Across from the Perot you can see where they have removed the concrete and exposed the underlying dirt.

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 21 Nov 2022 13:38

All but one of the excavators are off site. Not much change over the last several days.
There is still a lot of the old concrete foundation in place, so not sure what the plan is for getting rid of it.
The bottom right corner of the first pic shows some street work being done on Houston in relation to this project. Maybe some pipes or other utility.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 23 Nov 2022 09:53

Still no clear picture of what this will actually look like?

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 29 Nov 2022 02:58

Glad they've actually left some trees at the site.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 29 Nov 2022 09:01

Driving by the other night was the first time I got to see this site since the tear-down and it was surreal to see the lit-up Victory/AT&T Plaza from Woodall Rodgers. It really seems to bring Victory Park "closer" to downtown visually, at least, and I hope this sense isn't lost when the GS campus is done.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 29 Nov 2022 18:53

ContriveDallasite wrote:Glad they've actually left some trees at the site.

I hope I’m not just being cynical, but the trees are the LAST thing to go before they dig the hole. A gaping hole where the tree was in the ground is a huge liability. I’ve seen it first hand a few times. I noticed this just the other day (maybe on Carlisle street) that the buildings were scraped but the trees remained. I remember what the footprint will be on the new construction, and trees can’t stay there.

Perhaps they hope to leave some of these trees for the park, but that rarely ends well. It’s just too stressful for the tree.

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 17 Dec 2022 12:51

Not a ton of changes over the last couple weeks. Mostly working on some underground pipes, primarily on the Houston Street side. All the concrete you see is leftover from the apartments that were there.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 18 Dec 2022 20:25

New project website is up. Includes new renderings/site plan

https://northend.com/

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 Dec 2022 21:33

dallaz wrote:New project website is up. Includes new renderings/site plan

They got this part right:

"NorthEnd occupies an important location at the juncture of the Uptown and Victory Park neighborhoods in Dallas’ urban core."

Too bad aceplace isn't still around to comment on the changing meaning of Dallas' urban core....

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 18 Dec 2022 22:55

If you count the floors in this rendering, the tallest tower appears to be around 50-stories. The second tallest tower on the South side looks to be in the 40 to 45-story range. The third tower on the North side of the development is around 30 stories. Of course, all of these sizes may change, but they are certainly more modest than the original renderings from a couple of years ago. The park in the middle of the development is also a lot smaller than originally proposed, which certainly makes for a more realistic plan. The Perot Museum will obscure the Southern view in the park if these renderings are close to accurate. The cobblestone walkway will be a nuisance for pedestrians.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 18 Dec 2022 23:26

I like the larger greenspace. I believe the older project plan had driveways with street parking connecting the two streets.

willyk

Postby willyk » 19 Dec 2022 03:52

The pedestrian connectivity to Victory Park is hard to determine. Ashland seems to dump into the W loading dock. I can’t tell about the alignment of the other streets. Are they connecting to High Market or Museum?

eburress

Postby eburress » 19 Dec 2022 05:35

I do like the look of everything, including the rough cobblestone, but it's now as much of a "park" as is the Union's "park." It's not the end of the world; it's just not how this had previously been characterized. Nonetheless, if all this gets built and it ends up being even remotely like the renderings, I'll be happy. :)

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 19 Dec 2022 08:01

rono3849 wrote:If you count the floors in this rendering, the tallest tower appears to be around 50-stories. The second tallest tower on the South side looks to be in the 40 to 45-story range. The third tower on the North side of the development is around 30 stories. Of course, all of these sizes may change, but they are certainly more modest than the original renderings from a couple of years ago.

My guess is that the budget will best allow for one signature tower and that it's the one most visible from downtown -- and that it's a weird busy-walled post-postmodern-modern thing that is never shown directly in any of these latest renderings.

These images focus on only two of the four towers that are projected to join the GS office.

One of the remaining buildings has rounded corners and shares a podium with the taller tower shown in these images. I'm guessing its curtain wall is similar to that one.

The final surprise signature, though, is a parallelogram that loses (and gains) mass in outdoor terrace spaces but only its lower floors are visible here (in the third image, which mostly shows the bottom of the rounded-corner tower that was in the first image).

Wish the towers played it less safe with their cladding and glass *colors*

It doesn't have to be fuchsia and cerulean -- the AT&T/Bell telephone buildings downtown, for instance, and especially their switching towers over at Peak Haskell, have shown that a buff yellow-beige tone will look really good in Dallas' light.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Dec 2022 15:21

Is that a..... Sky bridge?...... Gross. Stuck in the 80s... Blah

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 19 Dec 2022 15:49

The link seems to be dead. I wonder if it got out prematurely?

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 19 Dec 2022 15:52

Tucy wrote:

The link seems to be dead. I wonder if it got out prematurely?

Wow, I guess you’re right. Wasn’t expecting that. :lol:

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 19 Dec 2022 16:55

Did anyone take screenshots? Can't see it since the site is now down.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 19 Dec 2022 17:06

Matt777 wrote:Did anyone take screenshots? Can't see it since the site is now down.

They are pretty much what is posted here, except a little bit wider view that included a portion of the second tallest tower. I tried going to the site, but it's MIA now. Kinda weird.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 19 Dec 2022 17:30

Bummed I missed it. They took down the image files so the direct links don't show up in NDoorTX's post.

If anyone still sees the images in NDoorTX's post it's because they're still in your cache; please save them and reupload them here.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 19 Dec 2022 18:21

rono3849 wrote:
Matt777 wrote:Did anyone take screenshots? Can't see it since the site is now down.

They are pretty much what is posted here, except a little bit wider view that included a portion of the second tallest tower. I tried going to the site, but it's MIA now. Kinda weird.

This is all that I have. It was a few more graphics like this, but this is the only one I could find.

Kinda grainy tho

F461B08D-A499-4730-B388-1AAEF3FE984E.jpeg

Like Tucy said, maybe they were not expecting anyone to find these…? They took ‘em down quick af! :lol:

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 19 Dec 2022 19:30

If you google "northend dallas" and click on "images" at the top, you can see the renderings. Somewhat blurry but they are there at least as of right now.

CityHeart

Postby CityHeart » 19 Dec 2022 20:25

NorthEnd.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 19 Dec 2022 21:14

The one that dallaz posted tonight is the only one that Ndoor didn't link this morning from the website dallaz found. So cityheart's post shows everything in one place.
But hare the cached higher-res versions of everything from this morning:

55733038-3A6E-4428-8E03-5114B9996945.jpeg

then
E5C7CD88-2A88-4AF2-8B91-8C7B22D079CA.jpeg

then
0B9D6A6A-E8AD-4345-AF7B-51BC2520EE4E.png
Last edited by I45Tex on 20 Dec 2022 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 19 Dec 2022 21:46

The archive clarifies what the map key in the images above refers to.

GS = parcel A

square office building = parcel B

Round-cornered residential & hotel towers with pools on the podium in between = parcel C

cantilevered terraces tower facade with office, residential and valet stand (in my opinion most likely to have the residential floors up above the office floors) = parcel D

At the narrow point between the interior park and the north plaza, there will be ground floor retail in the facing corners of parcels A, B, and C.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 19 Dec 2022 21:57

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Is that a..... Sky bridge?...... Gross. Stuck in the 80s... Blah

Could you point out the sky bridge? Is it between C and the podium of D? It doesn't seem to appear in the current rendering of that space.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Dec 2022 23:58

I45Tex wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Is that a..... Sky bridge?...... Gross. Stuck in the 80s... Blah

Could you point out the sky bridge? Is it between C and the podium of D? It doesn't seem to appear in the current rendering of that space.

Look at the two buildings in lower right corner. They're connected over a street with a green bridge.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 20 Dec 2022 15:55

Scrolling through Reddit, came across this.

Not sure if it’s true or not…but it would be nice to see additional retail in the core.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comment ... ame=iossmf
3E84DA8F-CBD6-4B1A-83FB-F707B2E4E4C7.jpeg

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 20 Dec 2022 16:41

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
I45Tex wrote:

Look at the two buildings in lower right corner. They're connected over a street with a green bridge.

Yes, but C and D and that street are this rendering, and the connection isn’t visible here.

F848894A-3AEC-4F64-B38C-071A137F0BA6.jpeg

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 20 Dec 2022 17:18

I wouldn't spend too much effort examining the details of any of these renderings. They remain pretty conceptual/aspirational.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 20 Dec 2022 20:17

dallaz wrote:Scrolling through Reddit, came across this.

Not sure if it’s true or not…but it would be nice to see additional retail in the core.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comment ... ame=iossmf
3E84DA8F-CBD6-4B1A-83FB-F707B2E4E4C7.jpeg

OMG Target yessss please. That would be a game changer for liveability in the area, as well as West Dallas/Oak Cliff that are retail starved.