Uptown/Victory Park: NorthEnd

rono3849

Re: Uptown/Victory Park: NorthEnd

Postby rono3849 » 11 Jul 2023 16:17

The West Coast has always been prone to use huge billboards on buildings for years. The movie studios, record companies, and networks have used the sides of office & hotel towers to promote films, albums, & shows in LA & Hollywood. Las Vegas has done this as well, which they've adapted to their stadium & arenas. LED has enhanced their usage. Dallas has a limited amount of this Downtown, but the towers Downtown just aren't adaptable to this signage.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 12 Jul 2023 06:39

Meanwhile, San Antonio is building stuff like this. Something has happened to Dallas where mediocre projects are now the norm.

6453C668-52FA-44E8-AA27-AFA8B4758062.jpeg

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local ... &fs=e&s=cl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Addison

Postby Addison » 12 Jul 2023 07:12

lakewoodhobo wrote:Meanwhile, San Antonio is building stuff like this. Something has happened to Dallas where mediocre projects are now the norm.

6453C668-52FA-44E8-AA27-AFA8B4758062.jpeg

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local ... &fs=e&s=cl

And a Dallas-based developer is leading that project... :lol:

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 12 Jul 2023 10:52

I love it but that probably has more to do with Delorean taking the space and their corporate stamp. The question is really why aren't we attracting business like this here in Dallas like that.

Addison

Postby Addison » 12 Jul 2023 11:03

Cbdallas wrote:I love it but that probably has more to do with Delorean taking the space and their corporate stamp. The question is really why aren't we attracting business like this here in Dallas like that.

I mean, DFW has the GM plant and recently attracted Toyota's NA HQ. So we're not exactly hurting for automotive-type of investments. Eventually (probably a decade from now), Arlington may be converted to accommodate EV production as welll.

That said, in the mean time, we *ARE* struggling to compete for EV-specific and renewable energy projects, likely because our land costs and labor costs are now too high (Austin lucked up with Tesla because Elon has his own personal infatuation with it).

That said, DeLorean failed once before and I'm skeptical they'll succeed this time in the shadow of Tesla and with rising intereat rates / ongoing supply chain constraints making it much harder for startups to scale production.
Last edited by Addison on 13 Jul 2023 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 12 Jul 2023 20:34

It looks like a large toilet to me.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 31 Jul 2023 11:04

Just wanted to record this so we have a point of reference: Per the site plan filed with the city Plan Commission, the Goldman Sachs building is planned to be 240 feet in height.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 31 Jul 2023 11:11

Cbdallas wrote:I love it but that probably has more to do with Delorean taking the space and their corporate stamp. The question is really why aren't we attracting business like this here in Dallas like that.

Dallas is a dying city tbh, there’s not really much appeal to a city that’s losing residents when it has suburbs that are thriving. Hopefully the developments at Midtown help with this.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 31 Jul 2023 15:59

Proquest20 wrote:

Dallas is a dying city tbh, there’s not really much appeal to a city that’s losing residents when it has suburbs that are thriving. Hopefully the developments at Midtown help with this.

The City of Dallas is exhibiting characteristics of older cities that have a core city in decline and thriving suburbs. Unless some real leadership emerges in the next 10 years, you can pretty much write off Dallas. There's no magnate to draw people Downtown.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 31 Jul 2023 19:59

rono3849 wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:

The City of Dallas is exhibiting characteristics of older cities that have a core city in decline and thriving suburbs. Unless some real leadership emerges in the next 10 years, you can pretty much write off Dallas. There's no magnate to draw people Downtown.

Admittedly, I am a homer but even I cannot deny this. Our city leadership (or lack there of) have been ignoring this trend for years, until recently because they have no choice. Dallas' very slow growth rate in one of the fastest growing regions in North America is alarming IMO. Now, you hear the phrase at City Hall - "competing with the suburbs". It use to piss me off when Mayor Rawlings use to take the growth occurring in Collin County as our own. There has been so much focus on what's good for the region, that they have forgot about what's good for Dallas. What's good for the region may not always be in the best interest of the city itself. They cannot continuously push and prop up suburban cities and think the core city is going to remain strong. They've already basically replaced downtown as the central hub or business center for the (at least) Dallas side of The Metroplex.

In the 90s and 2000s, leadership always painted a picture of Southern Dallas being uniformly poor and dangerous. That was never truly the case for the entire area. It totally still isn't but I can honestly say poverty has expanded as the middle class moved to the suburbs. One indicator is lack of quality grocery stores. There use to be way more name brand grocery stores in Southern Dallas in the 2000s. Now, there's only 2 name brand traditional grocers - Kroger and Tom Thumb with only one location each. I've watched parts of the city trend poorer. One thing grocers need to survive is a middle class demo, many areas now currently lack that. Now, I feel like it has started to spread to other sections of the city. That's why it is harder for companies to relocate to the city proper. So, they'll rather go to the 'burbs instead. HEB recently said in the DMN that it's bringing its Joe V's Smart Shop to Dallas (Red Bird and Pleasant Grove), because that concept works for areas that are not growing. So, what I gathered from that is that they're only willing to open their namesake branded stores in areas of high growth. If that's the case...we may be waiting a while for one in Dallas proper. Only downtown adjacent areas are the fastest growing in Dallas (ie Uptown).

However, I do not think everything has went to hell in a handbasket. There are things to be proud of that the city has accomplished. But there really needs to be some type of plan to really get Dallas growing to avoid further or prolonged decline. It is not enough for only downtown adjacent areas to be seeing some reasonable amount of growth, when the entire city is 340 sq mi of land. Much of which is still not completely built out yet.

eburress

Postby eburress » 31 Jul 2023 21:52

I wonder if our form of city government is part of the problem. A bunch of bickering people who only care about their own districts, rather than a strong mayor with a singular, cohesive vision.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 31 Jul 2023 22:41

eburress wrote:I wonder if our form of city government is part of the problem. A bunch of bickering people who only care about their own districts, rather than a strong mayor with a singular, cohesive vision.

That is a large part of the problem.

Proquest20

Postby Proquest20 » 31 Jul 2023 23:46

rono3849 wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:

No doubt we will be dealing with the next Detroit or San Francisco.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 01 Aug 2023 00:03

Proquest20 wrote:
rono3849 wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:

No doubt we will be dealing with the next Detroit or San Francisco.

We’ve gone from the demise of Northpark to the impending collapse of the entire City of Dallas. :roll:

Well now you can rearrange the Legacy lineup to be the premier shopping destination of North Texas

eburress

Postby eburress » 01 Aug 2023 03:34

I'm not saying I think the city of Dallas will collapse. It does seem to me though that Dallas proper isn't performing as well as it could or should be.

And for what it's worth, I do realize why we're not getting massive office towers. We were already overbuilt and then the commercial real estate market gets hammered by covid and the subsequent shift to remote work. Frankly, it's a wonder that any office projects are happening at all. On the bright side I guess, because we've been overbuilt for so long, Dallas may actually be better-positioned than a lot of other cities (completely by accident) because we've been converting commercial to residential for years. San Francisco on the other hand is starting this process now from scratch.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 01 Aug 2023 12:46

eburress wrote:I wonder if our form of city government is part of the problem. A bunch of bickering people who only care about their own districts, rather than a strong mayor with a singular, cohesive vision.

This has for sure been a huge weakness for Dallas. The mayoral position is little more than that of a ceremonial ribbon-cutter without any enforceable power to rally/bully city council. It functions as another city council seat but one that exists solely to absorb the blame or thanks for everything that goes wrong or right in the city. This form of city government is more common in much smaller cities than Dallas and I think we've well outgrown it by now.

Addison

Postby Addison » 01 Aug 2023 13:17

Dallas is *NOT* a dying city, and nothing like San Francisco or Detroit (I should know, as I'm from there).

The city has its problems for sure, but the doom & gloom is getting ridiculous...

Addison

Postby Addison » 01 Aug 2023 13:23

dallaz wrote:
rono3849 wrote:
Proquest20 wrote:

Admittedly, I am a homer but even I cannot deny this. Our city leadership (or lack there of) have been ignoring this trend for years, until recently because they have no choice. Dallas' very slow growth rate in one of the fastest growing regions in North America is alarming IMO. Now, you hear the phrase at City Hall - "competing with the suburbs". It use to piss me off when Mayor Rawlings use to take the growth occurring in Collin County as our own. There has been so much focus on what's good for the region, that they have forgot about what's good for Dallas. What's good for the region may not always be in the best interest of the city itself. They cannot continuously push and prop up suburban cities and think the core city is going to remain strong. They've already basically replaced downtown as the central hub or business center for the (at least) Dallas side of The Metroplex.

In the 90s and 2000s, leadership always painted a picture of Southern Dallas being uniformly poor and dangerous. That was never truly the case for the entire area. It totally still isn't but I can honestly say poverty has expanded as the middle class moved to the suburbs. One indicator is lack of quality grocery stores. There use to be way more name brand grocery stores in Southern Dallas in the 2000s. Now, there's only 2 name brand traditional grocers - Kroger and Tom Thumb with only one location each. I've watched parts of the city trend poorer. One thing grocers need to survive is a middle class demo, many areas now currently lack that. Now, I feel like it has started to spread to other sections of the city. That's why it is harder for companies to relocate to the city proper. So, they'll rather go to the 'burbs instead. HEB recently said in the DMN that it's bringing its Joe V's Smart Shop to Dallas (Red Bird and Pleasant Grove), because that concept works for areas that are not growing. So, what I gathered from that is that they're only willing to open their namesake branded stores in areas of high growth. If that's the case...we may be waiting a while for one in Dallas proper. Only downtown adjacent areas are the fastest growing in Dallas (ie Uptown).

However, I do not think everything has went to hell in a handbasket. There are things to be proud of that the city has accomplished. But there really needs to be some type of plan to really get Dallas growing to avoid further or prolonged decline. It is not enough for only downtown adjacent areas to be seeing some reasonable amount of growth, when the entire city is 340 sq mi of land. Much of which is still not completely built out yet.

Far North Dallas (including adjacent Richardson and Addison) fits H-E-B's demographics perfectly, and I still believe that's where the first store will eventually go.

But for now and in the forseeable future, all the good real estate is gone, in part because Walmart snatched it all up and built a firewall (which was shrewd for them)
Last edited by Addison on 01 Aug 2023 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 01 Aug 2023 13:25

Addison wrote:The city has its problems for sure, but the doom & gloom is getting ridiculous...

It's kinda funny, though. Could be more creative.

The over supply of office space downtown is the best thing for residential. People have to invest their money, so they'll spend it in residential, which makes it a better place to live which makes it a better place to work which makes it a better place to live, and on

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 01 Aug 2023 14:09

Addison wrote:Dallas is *NOT* a dying city, and nothing like San Francisco or Detroit (I should know, as I'm from there).

The city has its problems for sure, but the doom & gloom is getting ridiculous...

Code again! Get the patient a debentonvilleator, stat!!!

Addison

Postby Addison » 01 Aug 2023 14:16

I45Tex wrote:
Addison wrote:Dallas is *NOT* a dying city, and nothing like San Francisco or Detroit (I should know, as I'm from there).

Code again! Get the patient a debentonvilleator, stat!!!

I really do hate Walmart, though... :lol:

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 01 Aug 2023 14:17

Addison wrote:
dallaz wrote:... in one of the fastest growing regions in North America [suburban cities] already basically replaced downtown as the central hub or business center for the (at least) Dallas side of The Metroplex.

In the 90s and 2000s, leadership always painted a picture of Southern Dallas being uniformly poor and dangerous. That was never truly the case... HEB recently said in the DMN that it's bringing its Joe V's Smart Shop to Dallas (Red Bird and Pleasant Grove), because that concept works for areas that are not growing. So, what I gathered from that is that they're only willing to open their namesake branded stores in areas of high growth. If that's the case...we may be waiting a while for one in Dallas proper.

Far North Dallas (including adjacent Richardson and Addison) fits H-E-B's demographics perfectly, and I still believe that's where the first store will eventually go.

But for now and in the forseeable future, all the good real estate is gone, in part because Walmart snatched it all up and built a firewall (which was shrewd for them)

So then Walmart business is perfect for a stagnant market too

Karaoke time calls.
How about Bon Joe V's cover version of the HEBeatles?

I do a roadhog
Well, you can penetrate any place you go
Yes, you can penetrate any place you go
I told you so!

Addison

Postby Addison » 01 Aug 2023 14:25

I45Tex wrote:
Addison wrote:
dallaz wrote:... in one of the fastest growing regions in North America [suburban cities] already basically replaced downtown as the central hub or business center for the (at least) Dallas side of The Metroplex.

In the 90s and 2000s, leadership always painted a picture of Southern Dallas being uniformly poor and dangerous. That was never truly the case... HEB recently said in the DMN that it's bringing its Joe V's Smart Shop to Dallas (Red Bird and Pleasant Grove), because that concept works for areas that are not growing. So, what I gathered from that is that they're only willing to open their namesake branded stores in areas of high growth. If that's the case...we may be waiting a while for one in Dallas proper.

So then Walmart business is perfect for a stagnant market too

Karaoke time calls.
How about Bon Joe V's cover version of the HEBeatles?

I do a roadhog
Well, you can penetrate any place you go
Yes, you can penetrate any place you go
I told you so!

I think their comment about "high growth areas" was simply taken out of context. There are plenty of new stores they're planning in areas that aren't exactly "high-growth" in other parts of Texas.

H-E-B is simply afraid of competition *AND* is targeting areas with high income / population density. Far North Dallas meets the latter requirement, but Walmart's firewall in Far North Dallas makes the former difficult for them. When they do eventually open a store in this part of town, they're going to have to go big and the real estate isn't there for them right now.

They do apparently see weakness in Kroger, which is why most of their new stores in DFW are also near/adjacent to a Kroger.

But in any event, you know good well I can go on a long rant about this. I'll stop and save it for a different thread.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 01 Aug 2023 15:07

Real estate isn't their strong suit but I'm sure KDC could figure something out

https://www.commercialcafe.com/commerci ... ade-tower/

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 03 Aug 2023 01:51

It's nothing to do with a strong vs. weak mayor, it's at large representation vs ward politics. Blame the 1988 14-1 lawsuit. Before then Dallas was "the city that still works" https://content.time.com/time/subscribe ... 18,00.html. Now it's the gang that can't shoot straight.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Aug 2023 08:59

Hannibal Lecter wrote:

It's nothing to do with a strong vs. weak mayor, it's at large representation vs ward politics. Blame the 1988 14-1 lawsuit. Before then Dallas was "the city that still works" https://content.time.com/time/subscribe ... 18,00.html. Now it's the gang that can't shoot straight.

I remember when that magazine article came out, and i also remember what a fantastic place Dallas was at that time. It was the model city.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 03 Aug 2023 12:44

Dallas has turned into Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, and all of those cities that are divided by communities pitted against each other. It's sad to see that it has gone down that path. I don't see anything positive for the city in the coming years. One of the examples of this is the Oak Lawn Committee's ability to block development over such a wide swath of the city's important Uptown corridor. This group has an agenda and it is in conflict with Dallas' growth. Houston, Austin, & San Antonio don't have these kinds of issues. Of course, they aren't losing population like Dallas is either. Ft. Worth has a better handle on its future than Dallas does.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 03 Aug 2023 14:50

the majority of FW's growth is way out in far sub/ex-urbia. Dallas can only grow with infill.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 03 Aug 2023 17:07

rono3849 wrote:Dallas has turned into Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, and all of those cities that are divided by communities pitted against each other. It's sad to see that it has gone down that path. I don't see anything positive for the city in the coming years. One of the examples of this is the Oak Lawn Committee's ability to block development over such a wide swath of the city's important Uptown corridor. This group has an agenda and it is in conflict with Dallas' growth. Houston, Austin, & San Antonio don't have these kinds of issues. Of course, they aren't losing population like Dallas is either. Ft. Worth has a better handle on its future than Dallas does.

I think economic growth is not as conducive to economic development as one might hope. It may be a necessary but far from sufficient condition.

The examples you cited are of cities that have failed to reinvent themselves when they have had to most recently do so. The difference is that Fort Worth hasn't truly had to do so yet. Arguably neither have Houston nor Austin. Cleveland, Ohio, was the first world's first oil capital before that title moved to Tulsa. But the title went to Houston without Houston reorienting itself toward the Gulf of Mexico offshore drilling. That big tailwind happened without much real revitalization of Houston's outlook ahead of time - a ship channel and some refineries does not an energy innovator make, except it went ahead and did.

Cleveland has at least been able to remain a national center of the unsung and supposedly unsexy technical management and mechanical expertise behind many advanced jet turbines (look up B-29 nacelles sometime), lightbulbs (look up NELA Park sometime), hydraulics (Parker Hannifin etc.), machining, controls (Eaton Corporation, e.g.), welding (Lincoln Electric anyone?)

We know that Philadelphia's succeeded multiple times before. It has the potential because it has the track record and practice. It had a larger early financial district than Manhattan did, and lost the capitol to New York City and then to DC. Then it became an industrial powerhouse with more homeowners than any other municipality in the world. Then its region became known for education and pharmaceutical research. The cultural DNA to pick up the pieces is deeper than the particular culture war hot button issues that are so prevalent and often hard to overcome at a given time.

Even in present day Dallas we have enough developmental track record to know from experience that we can change direction when tailwinds turn to headwinds eventually. We don't know if FtW's run for the win will be done after its first tank of gas. Austin's tank of gas has just lasted longer than most (late 1980s to early 2020s) but its growth DNA may not be culturally amenable to starting from scratch like Philly or New York or Chicago has. To really short term grow you don't need to develop economic, religious, political or scientific agility. To pick up the pieces and grow again and again longterm, cities have to.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 04 Aug 2023 06:38

From the perspective of someone who has lived here more than 40 years the negative outlook on these post is perplexing. I have seen Dallas transformed and still transforming into a great place to live with a very urban vibe. So many things have happened here in those 40 years I can't even list all of them. Maybe some of this is coming from people who have only recently moved here expecting something else. Not sure but I love this city and plan to even retire here. Maybe lighten up on the negative takes and look at some old photos from the 80's and 90's to see how far we have come.

Addison

Postby Addison » 04 Aug 2023 08:01

Cbdallas wrote:From the perspective of someone who has lived here more than 40 years the negative outlook on these post is perplexing. I have seen Dallas transformed and still transforming into a great place to live with a very urban vibe. So many things have happened here in those 40 years I can't even list all of them. Maybe some of this is coming from people who have only recently moved here expecting something else. Not sure but I love this city and plan to even retire here. Maybe lighten up on the negative takes and look at some old photos from the 80's and 90's to see how far we have come.

It'a easy to tell from some of these responses who's never actually lived in a dead / declining city.

Dallas is nothing like that.

vman

Postby vman » 04 Aug 2023 08:04

Cbdallas wrote:From the perspective of someone who has lived here more than 40 years the negative outlook on these post is perplexing. I have seen Dallas transformed and still transforming into a great place to live with a very urban vibe. So many things have happened here in those 40 years I can't even list all of them. Maybe some of this is coming from people who have only recently moved here expecting something else. Not sure but I love this city and plan to even retire here. Maybe lighten up on the negative takes and look at some old photos from the 80's and 90's to see how far we have come.

Most city forums similar to this one have members that seem to have pride and love for their respective cities...not this one. :lol:

I've said before, I've never seen a city forum where the members openly root for projects to fail and there are usually more negative posts than positive ones regarding just about everything.

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 04 Aug 2023 08:38

I see where it may come across as negative. I think it is more of a sign of our impatience, with everything. Once a project is released, we want it to start immediately. Once a project starts, we want to be completed. A building is now open; how come retail is empty? If it is leased, its not what we need?
Looking back when I moved to the Cedars in 2009, I was thinking it will turn around *much* faster. Until 2021 I could not believe so little happened in such a close in neighborhood in 13 years. But looking at a bigger picture and the immediate neighborhoods:
1. Farmers market turnaround
2. Bishop Arts developments.
3. AT&T Discovery
These three changes probably affected life in the Cedars more than any developments in the immediate neighborhood.
And in the last 2 years, maybe 10 projects are well underway in the Cedars.
Patience guys..

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 04 Aug 2023 09:38

Right on.

Addison

Postby Addison » 04 Aug 2023 10:08

DBadger wrote:

I see where it may come across as negative. I think it is more of a sign of our impatience, with everything. Once a project is released, we want it to start immediately. Once a project starts, we want to be completed. A building is now open; how come retail is empty? If it is leased, its not what we need?
Looking back when I moved to the Cedars in 2009, I was thinking it will turn around *much* faster. Until 2021 I could not believe so little happened in such a close in neighborhood in 13 years. But looking at a bigger picture and the immediate neighborhoods:
1. Farmers market turnaround
2. Bishop Arts developments.
3. AT&T Discovery
These three changes probably affected life in the Cedars more than any developments in the immediate neighborhood.
And in the last 2 years, maybe 10 projects are well underway in the Cedars.
Patience guys..

Impatience and disappointment with projects coming to fruition is one thing. And part of it, at least, is a systemic issue with the city's structure of governance.

But jumping to the conclusion that Dallas is dead or declining is a pretty huge leap from that.

Dallas remains fiscally healthy, there's no signs of white flight (city is still over 60% white), it still has a healthy middle clas tax base, it doesn't have a bad crime rate, occupancy rates remain high, and most importantly, it anchors a region with arguably the fastest-growing and most diverse economy in the country, softening the effects of recessions that Rust Belt / single-industry cities experience.
Last edited by Addison on 04 Aug 2023 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 04 Aug 2023 18:36

Sure, if all we had to compare with were El Paso, Beaumont, and Little Rock and New Orleans and Shreveport, it would be a huge leap but if one compares the past thirty years of Dallas politics and population growth against those suburbs and Austin and Houston and Ft Worth....

then it seems initially like a valid conclusion unless you agree with my arguments that the latter comparison is invalid or unhelpful for specific reasons: it isn't indicative of our economic resilience and the resilience of those three cities is likely to be unfavorable or unproven in general, in aspects that ours is still favorable.

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 09 Sep 2023 11:08

Sep 9, 2023

Still pretty much entirely underground work around the perimeter. Crews are active M-F
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 09 Sep 2023 18:42

The city needs to do something dramatic Downtown to bring an energy back. Frankly, they need something iconic to draw interest. I know this sounds off the wall, but I've imagined a huge statue, and by that, I mean a 10 to 15 story statue of Pegasus that would also include aspects like climbing into the statue, a la Statue of Liberty & Vessel, or viewing platforms that would include cafe dining, etc. Of course beautiful lighting at night would draw visitors and locals alike. This could become the spark for Downtown. Now this may be nuts, but since Pegasus has become an iconic representation of Dallas, I thought this could work. OK, I've expressed my own little idea, so I'll slink back into the shadows.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 09 Sep 2023 23:12

rono3849 wrote:The city needs to do something dramatic Downtown to bring an energy back. Frankly, they need something iconic to draw interest. I know this sounds off the wall, but I've imagined a huge statue, and by that, I mean a 10 to 15 story statue of Pegasus that would also include aspects like climbing into the statue, a la Statue of Liberty & Vessel, or viewing platforms that would include cafe dining, etc. Of course beautiful lighting at night would draw visitors and locals alike. This could become the spark for Downtown. Now this may be nuts, but since Pegasus has become an iconic representation of Dallas, I thought this could work. OK, I've expressed my own little idea, so I'll slink back into the shadows.

Okay, let’s turn this into another catch-all thread.

The city also needs to:
1) Plan for new arena site for Mavs and Stars
2) Plan for several potential sites for future casino hotel resort if/when State and voters approve such.. Don’t let Arlington/Frisco get the drop on us..

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby CTroyMathis » 10 Sep 2023 09:33

willyk wrote:This is a sincere question— if a premier tenant like GS wants to be in mid-rise campus like buildings, what type of tenants does Hunt think will go into the high rise officer towers?

Going back a year to the quote posted above reminded me of Goldman Sachs occupying a beast of a tower in Jersey City and then I remembered this is proposed in Jersey City:
https://newyorkyimby.com/2022/09/jersey ... -city.html

thelivingworld

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby thelivingworld » 10 Sep 2023 14:06

CTroyMathis wrote:
willyk wrote:This is a sincere question— if a premier tenant like GS wants to be in mid-rise campus like buildings, what type of tenants does Hunt think will go into the high rise officer towers?

Going back a year to the quote posted above reminded me of Goldman Sachs occupying a beast of a tower in Jersey City and then I remembered this is proposed in Jersey City:
https://newyorkyimby.com/2022/09/jersey ... -city.html

Looks like they just broke ground on these in Jersey City. Extremely boring buildings. Not up to Dallas standards. I think the idea here is to maximize the views and value of the remaining plots and provide a buffer between the planned El Fenix/Meso Maya high-rises. That's a big contingency point along Field Street, a battle of the views and visibility (or a dance if you will), and why you'd wouldn't want to invest too much into something that would just be sealed in a minute later. You wouldn't be getting earth shattering design from a conservative financial services conservative like Goldman regardless. The Goldman portion of the site directly across from the Union in a direct line from the El Fenix/Meso Maya site to downtown very much takes the brunt of being potentially boxed in by high-rises. This is probably by design.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 10 Sep 2023 14:30

Before it gets lost, the only point to be made about Jersey City is that GS is involved with a ~1900+ unit residential development next to it's offices there. Just find that interesting. I am not really all that interested in the height of GS's tower in Jersey City or what the new project looks like. I am interested in the quantity and proximity of those residential units and the *very rough similarity to this Dallas development.

Good points about a day-lighted/less height section between El Fenix site possibilities and the rest of NorthEnd possibilities and The Union. Whether accidental or by design, I'm all for less office anyway. Still going to need to work on ground-level human-scale activities and connection in this general area.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 10 Sep 2023 15:36

CTroyMathis wrote:Before it gets lost, the only point to be made about Jersey City is that GS is involved with a ~1900+ unit residential development next to it's offices there. Just find that interesting. I am not really all that interested in the height of GS's tower in Jersey City or what the new project looks like. I am interested in the quantity and proximity of those residential units and the *very rough similarity to this Dallas

What is GS’s involvement with those Jersey City residential towers? Never mind. I found it; they own the land.

thelivingworld

Postby thelivingworld » 10 Sep 2023 15:47

Jersey City site will be rentals with 50% 1 bedroom, 30% studio, 20% 2 bedroom with exactly 2 units of 3 bedroom units.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 10 Sep 2023 19:27

mhainli wrote:
rono3849 wrote:The city needs to do something dramatic Downtown to bring an energy back. Frankly, they need something iconic to draw interest. I know this sounds off the wall, but I've imagined a huge statue, and by that, I mean a 10 to 15 story statue of Pegasus that would also include aspects like climbing into the statue, a la Statue of Liberty & Vessel, or viewing platforms that would include cafe dining, etc. Of course beautiful lighting at night would draw visitors and locals alike. This could become the spark for Downtown. Now this may be nuts, but since Pegasus has become an iconic representation of Dallas, I thought this could work. OK, I've expressed my own little idea, so I'll slink back into the shadows.

Okay, let’s turn this into another catch-all thread.

The city also needs to:
1) Plan for new arena site for Mavs and Stars
2) Plan for several potential sites for future casino hotel resort if/when State and voters approve such.. Don’t let Arlington/Frisco get the drop on us..

As the forumer who has posted most of the posts in the shadowy Opolis Blueprints forum, I will say, let's just have a new catch all thread there instead of here!

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 11 Sep 2023 11:26

It's pretty much impossible to find where someone posted an idea unless you use the search function or keep the catch-all discussions in Opolis Blueprints.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 05 Oct 2023 17:53

Goldman Sachs is starting construction of its new Dallas campus
Groundbreaking set for next week on the $500 million office center north of downtown.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... as-campus/

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 05 Oct 2023 21:59

Is it just me or does the Goldman Sachs rendering look like an oversized 70s office building??

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 06 Oct 2023 08:52

mhainli wrote:Is it just me or does the Goldman Sachs rendering look like an oversized 70s office building??

Not really, if it were wrapped in highly reflective gold glass it would. This building does give me a 60's vibe tho. I don't actually think they will be bad looking, they would look better if the rest of it actually gets built out.