Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

User avatar
I45Tex
Posts: 483
Joined: 26 Jan 2017 05:52

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby I45Tex » 23 Jun 2022 21:43

The 15-20 thing, pardon my rudeness, but I think you'd actually hope they were *not* mistaken. Reason being, a typical back-office floor could be 20,000 square feet (net rentable space) per floor, but a lower floor count for the 800,000 square feet would correlate to investment trading floors, which tend to be on average larger, and I think that'd mean more the kind of workforce you actually want to see for downtown Dallas.
Last edited by I45Tex on 23 Jun 2022 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
I45Tex
Posts: 483
Joined: 26 Jan 2017 05:52

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby I45Tex » 23 Jun 2022 21:55

For example here is one on I-10 in the Energy Corridor of west Houston.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/hai ... ent-201626

User avatar
zblevinz555
Posts: 87
Joined: 14 Apr 2019 19:16

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby zblevinz555 » 23 Jun 2022 22:59

undefinedprocess wrote:Y'all realize GS' tower/building would only be 15-20 stories, right? The 80+ story tower that's been teased for a year now is the hotel/resi mixed-use tower that's a completely separate portion of the project. At the City Council meeting, the words "15-20 stories" were said (speaking about the GS "tower"), and it was specifically mentioned that "it wouldn't be like your typical Dallas high-rise, it'd be more of a suburban campus feel."

Sigh.



I’m just curious, cause I don’t know what to think or believe,
but do you think we’re getting an 80 story tower at some point in the north end development? Should I get my hopes up or is this just fantasy land?

willyk
Posts: 734
Joined: 18 Oct 2016 20:20

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby willyk » 24 Jun 2022 04:58

potatocoins wrote:Maybe they are being conservative with the completion date and giving themselves a buffer in case the unexpected happens. The article says "no later than Dec 31, 2027", and I wonder if that phrasing is intentional.

Either way, I'm happy. What is most exciting (to me) about these announcements is the snowball effect they can potentially have. Even if Goldman's office may not be completed until end of 2027, the announcement has been made, so hopefully this will give other developments and other companies a bit more confidence to bet on Dallas in the meantime.


More than confidence…this GS office will inevitably attract other professional service firms that are part of the GS ecosystem— accountants, lawyers, consultants, IT, staffing, etc. will all want to be nearby. And those already present in Uptown and the CBD will need to expand.

User avatar
I45Tex
Posts: 483
Joined: 26 Jan 2017 05:52

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby I45Tex » 24 Jun 2022 09:17

Just idle musing, but if it had all happened a decade ago, would financial firms like Wells Fargo be any more likely to reconsider Las Colinas / DFW submarket in favor of a downtown ecosystem?

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Tucy » 24 Jun 2022 09:23

It was the representative from the Office of Economic Development and she clearly knows what she is talking about and It does not look or sound like a misstatement. She said "this building will be in the neighborhood of 15 to 20 stories" and then followed that up with "This will not look like the typical Dallas high-rise. It'll look more like a suburban campus" That height makes complete sense for a project such as this and I'm not the least bit surprised (I've been warning y'all...).

https://dallastx.swagit.com/play/06232022-556
Last edited by Tucy on 24 Jun 2022 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 1391
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby R1070 » 24 Jun 2022 09:30

Why on Earth would the city want or allow a "suburban campus" in the heart of the city! They are trying to promote urbanity/walkability...

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Tucy » 24 Jun 2022 09:47

willyk wrote:
potatocoins wrote:Maybe they are being conservative with the completion date and giving themselves a buffer in case the unexpected happens. The article says "no later than Dec 31, 2027", and I wonder if that phrasing is intentional.

Either way, I'm happy. What is most exciting (to me) about these announcements is the snowball effect they can potentially have. Even if Goldman's office may not be completed until end of 2027, the announcement has been made, so hopefully this will give other developments and other companies a bit more confidence to bet on Dallas in the meantime.


More than confidence…this GS office will inevitably attract other professional service firms that are part of the GS ecosystem— accountants, lawyers, consultants, IT, staffing, etc. will all want to be nearby. And those already present in Uptown and the CBD will need to expand.


Not sure how much of that spinoff we should expect. Has there been significant or noticeable spinoff near Charles Schwab (which is a headquarters), Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Liberty Mutual, State Farm?

User avatar
potatocoins
Posts: 194
Joined: 18 May 2021 14:01

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby potatocoins » 24 Jun 2022 09:51

R1070 wrote:Why on Earth would the city want or allow a "suburban campus" in the heart of the city! They are trying to promote urbanity/walkability...


I'm not really sure what to make of this. Given the size of this campus and the location, I find it hard to believe they'll be able to create something akin to a suburban campus due to the lack of space here.

So are the things like ground-floor retail, residential and hotel components all still up in the air and none of that is necessarily confirmed?

User avatar
rickbansal
Posts: 32
Joined: 22 Jan 2019 07:06

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby rickbansal » 24 Jun 2022 11:13

potatocoins wrote:
R1070 wrote:Why on Earth would the city want or allow a "suburban campus" in the heart of the city! They are trying to promote urbanity/walkability...


I'm not really sure what to make of this. Given the size of this campus and the location, I find it hard to believe they'll be able to create something akin to a suburban campus due to the lack of space here.

So are the things like ground-floor retail, residential and hotel components all still up in the air and none of that is necessarily confirmed?


Yeah, the entire site is only 11 acres, right? If so, not sure how I see the type of development they've been shopping around being built, especially with a 1.5 acre park in the middle of it all. Seems like Hunt would want to maximize their investment and build vertically as much as possible...

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Tucy » 24 Jun 2022 11:23

rickbansal wrote:
potatocoins wrote:
R1070 wrote:Why on Earth would the city want or allow a "suburban campus" in the heart of the city! They are trying to promote urbanity/walkability...


I'm not really sure what to make of this. Given the size of this campus and the location, I find it hard to believe they'll be able to create something akin to a suburban campus due to the lack of space here.

So are the things like ground-floor retail, residential and hotel components all still up in the air and none of that is necessarily confirmed?


Yeah, the entire site is only 11 acres, right? If so, not sure how I see the type of development they've been shopping around being built, especially with a 1.5 acre park in the middle of it all. Seems like Hunt would want to maximize their investment and build vertically as much as possible...


Even if the G-S building is only 15 stories, it would only take up about 1.25 of those acres, so there's still plenty of room for the rest of the type of development they've been shopping around (not that I think it will happen; the 80+ story building is pretty unlikely).

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby rono3849 » 24 Jun 2022 12:56

If this G-S building is actually a 15 to 20 story building, then I hope it doesn't happen. Just keep the North End Apartments and let's move on. All of this conversation over a building smaller than the W or Victor towers is a waste of time. It's on the level of the Hillwoood Urban buildings next to AAC.

User avatar
Cbdallas
Posts: 588
Joined: 29 Nov 2016 16:42

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Cbdallas » 24 Jun 2022 13:19

I never thought the tall building was the Goldman building but was part of the mixed use building as part of the larger development. Not sure why everyone is upset. I would accept almost anything over those 1990's suburban apartments that are hogging and blocking up that area.

User avatar
I45Tex
Posts: 483
Joined: 26 Jan 2017 05:52

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby I45Tex » 24 Jun 2022 15:12

Tucy wrote:
rickbansal wrote: Seems like Hunt would want to maximize their investment and build vertically as much as possible...


Even if the G-S building is only 15 stories, it would only take up about 1.25 of those acres, so there's still plenty of room for the rest of the type of development they've been shopping around (not that I think it will happen; the 80+ story building is pretty unlikely).


55,000 square feet is 1.25 acres, whereas the BP Americas energy trading floors on the project built fifteen years ago (linked above) were just over 60,000 square feet per floor, and if that’s the reason for the lower floor count, then this would be a more mission-critical facility for GS than just a bunch of MBA analysts on standard 20,000 square foot office floors. Let’s wait and see, since we’re going to have to. But it’s not like the AAC Hillwood thing at all.

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 518
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby dallaz » 24 Jun 2022 15:31

Cbdallas wrote:I never thought the tall building was the Goldman building but was part of the mixed use building as part of the larger development. Not sure why everyone is upset. I would accept almost anything over those 1990's suburban apartments that are hogging and blocking up that area.

Right. That’s what I thought as well.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Tucy » 24 Jun 2022 16:02

I45Tex wrote:
Tucy wrote:
rickbansal wrote: Seems like Hunt would want to maximize their investment and build vertically as much as possible...


Even if the G-S building is only 15 stories, it would only take up about 1.25 of those acres, so there's still plenty of room for the rest of the type of development they've been shopping around (not that I think it will happen; the 80+ story building is pretty unlikely).


55,000 square feet is 1.25 acres, whereas the BP Americas energy trading floors on the project built fifteen years ago (linked above) were just over 60,000 square feet per floor, and if that’s the reason for the lower floor count, then this would be a more mission-critical facility for GS than just a bunch of MBA analysts on standard 20,000 square foot office floors. Let’s wait and see, since we’re going to have to.


You seem to want to read a lot more in to the large floor plates than what is there. Large floor plates are not uncommon for back-office type facilities. In fact, it's probably more common for back office than for just about anything else. See, for example, State Farm, Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase. Having said that, the Economic Development rep said during the Council meeting that this G-S office will have all elements of the G-S operation. Accounting, HR, legal, MBA analysts etc etc.

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby rono3849 » 24 Jun 2022 16:13

As stated earlier, if G-S wants a small office, then let them move to Irving, Frisco, or Plano. They bring nothing to the city other than traffic on Woodall Rogers Frwy. and the Tollway. Much a do about absolutely nothing. As for the little park in the development, you can toss that out too. Truly, no one cares. It makes no impact at all.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1979
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 Jun 2022 16:20

rono3849 wrote:As stated earlier, if G-S wants a small office, then let them move to Irving, Frisco, or Plano. They bring nothing to the city other than traffic on Woodall Rogers Frwy. and the Tollway. Much a do about absolutely nothing. As for the little park in the development, you can toss that out too. Truly, no one cares. It makes no impact at all.


They're literally bringing thousands of fucking jobs.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Tucy » 24 Jun 2022 16:40

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
rono3849 wrote:As stated earlier, if G-S wants a small office, then let them move to Irving, Frisco, or Plano. They bring nothing to the city other than traffic on Woodall Rogers Frwy. and the Tollway. Much a do about absolutely nothing. As for the little park in the development, you can toss that out too. Truly, no one cares. It makes no impact at all.


They're literally bringing thousands of fucking jobs.


To be clear, if they consolidate all their current employees (which seems likely), they will be bringing about 1,000 jobs to North Texas; about 2,500 new jobs for the city of Dallas (to the detriment of Richardson).

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 3036
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Jun 2022 11:59

Yeah, the headlines are click bait most of the jobs are already in DFW. Half of them are in Downtown CBD and are already in Trammel Crow tower. So we will steal some from Richardson and if they hold up their end of the bargain they will add some. It's not a terrible deal to retain most of those jobs and add a few more. Yes, the office tower will be small compared to the grandiose concept renderings we have seen and I am sure the city council even if not shown publicly has been in back rooms been shown something akin to what Hunt thinks they will try to build and not just the flashy renderings some of you have slobbered over. I am sure they will get a hotel and residential element added in. The park-like VP's park will be a grass lawn with a security team assigned to run off anyone who isn't an office worker or well-dressed resident walking their dog. It won't be as publicly enjoyed as Klyde Warren it won't be a neighborhood getaway like Reverchron Park. It will be equal to someone's private lawn in the burbs with no doubt a piece of sculpture that will include a sign that says please do not touch.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 518
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby dallaz » 27 Jun 2022 16:40

Whoa…what’s with the dissatisfaction all of a sudden?

Who said that the North End development is only 15-20 stories? If it IS actually 15-20 stories, that’s only Goldman’s building not the entire development. This is a multi building development depicted by the master plan. I wouldn’t be worried just yet though. If that mixed use tower is well under 80, then all of the sentiments expressed above will be justified. *just tryna remain hopeful* Lol

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Addison » 27 Jun 2022 17:15

Everyone agrees it's an overall positive project.

But the point some are making is it feels a bit like a bait & switch given how the renderings looked. The office towers seemed a lot taller than 15-20 stories (asuuming that's going to be the actual height for GS' building). Not to mention the fact that based on GS' target timeline for completion, it may still be a while yet before it even breaks ground, despite what many of us had hoped.

And all of that wouldn't even be so bad in a vacuum if not for the fact that North End could quite possibly be the only big high rise construction project downtown Dallas sees for a while with the skyrocketing costs of construction and potentially a looming recession.

In short, people are understandably underwhelmed.
Last edited by Addison on 27 Jun 2022 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby rono3849 » 27 Jun 2022 17:33

Addison wrote:In short, people are understandably underwhelmed.


You nailed it. From an 80 story tower to a 15 to 20 story stubby suburban building is a bust. This one has become a major disappointment, from penthouse to outhouse.
Last edited by rono3849 on 27 Jun 2022 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Addison
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Nov 2020 17:13

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Addison » 27 Jun 2022 17:45

rono3849 wrote:
Addison wrote:In short, people are understandably underwhelmed.


You nailed it. From an 80 story tower to a 15 to 20 story stubby suburban building is a bust. This one has become a major bust.


The 80 story was never going to be Goldman Sachs. That was always residential/hotel.

However, the office towers in the renderings looked to be around 40-50 stories high. So fact that we might only getting an office tower reduced in height by over half is still disappointing.

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 518
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby dallaz » 27 Jun 2022 17:53

Addison wrote:Everyone agrees it's an overall positive project.

But the point some are making is it feels a bit like a bait & switch given how the renderings looked. The office towers seemed a lot taller than 15-20 stories (asuuming that's going to be the actual height for GS' building). Not to mention the fact that based on GS' target timeline for completion, it may still be a while yet before it even breaks ground, despite what many of us had hoped.

And all of that wouldn't even be so bad in a vacuum if not for the fact that North End could quite possibly be the only big high rise construction project downtown Dallas sees for a while with the skyrocketing costs of construction and potentially a looming recession.

In short, people are understandably underwhelmed.

Gotcha. That’s understandable. But I’m just gonna wait until they give more clarity on what they are actually going to build. Because ATP it’s all over the place. If this is indeed a bait and switch, I would be highly disappointed NGL.
Last edited by dallaz on 27 Jun 2022 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Tucy » 27 Jun 2022 17:53

dallaz wrote:
Who said that the North End development is only 15-20 stories?


The city official who made the arrangements with Goldman Sachs.

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 518
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby dallaz » 27 Jun 2022 18:04

Tucy wrote:
dallaz wrote:
Who said that the North End development is only 15-20 stories?


The city official who made the arrangements with Goldman Sachs.

I thought they were only referring to Goldman’s tower and the park. The other development is separate. Well…at least that’s what I thought when I heard it. This is just the first phase. The other phases could go up to 80 stories.

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby rono3849 » 27 Jun 2022 18:26

The city official spilling the beans might get disciplined. So many media outlets reported the development of having an 80 story tower and now the city actually lets the air out of the momentum of this project. Hunt was going to make a major impact on the skyline and now it will be buried by Harwood's Uptown towers. It's gone from a big deal to a big meh.

User avatar
I45Tex
Posts: 483
Joined: 26 Jan 2017 05:52

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby I45Tex » 27 Jun 2022 18:34

rono3849 wrote:The city official spilling the beans might get disciplined.

No, you don’t even have a rumor of that. Saying that this is more like a suburban campus is also not a specific enough statement to describe whether the official was describing the project that was up for an incentive vote that night, versus the rendered property in its entirety, and certainly didn’t anticipate being excerpted and misunderstood in one context when meant in the other.
Last edited by I45Tex on 27 Jun 2022 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tivo_Kenevil
Posts: 1979
Joined: 20 Oct 2016 12:24

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 27 Jun 2022 18:40

City official may have spilled or maybe they didn't understand.. who knows

User avatar
thelivingworld
Posts: 11
Joined: 01 Jan 2021 02:06

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby thelivingworld » 27 Jun 2022 20:03

They're required to spend $390 million on this office by the end of 2027. Not sure how a 20 story building can cost that much.

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 518
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby dallaz » 27 Jun 2022 20:11

rono3849 wrote:So many media outlets reported the development of having an 80 story tower
I agree.
Looking at the comments on this video. Ppl are expecting an 80 story building based on the news reports. *If* it was never going to happen…why would the media report it? I even seen a few Houston comments saying “Come on Houston. We can’t let Dallas beat us lol”. Seems like this project is making noise across the state.


https://youtu.be/0OUfThBDbf0

User avatar
RodB
Posts: 19
Joined: 22 Aug 2020 07:35

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby RodB » 27 Jun 2022 20:51

Hunt has hired the firm of Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates. Google some of their supertall buildings. Hunt would not hire them to build a high-rise. The Goldman Sachs office would cost more than $480 million, according to the filings with the city and Goldman Sachs “anticipates leasing a minimum of 800,000 square feet of office space in a newly constructed office building”.

User avatar
R1070
Posts: 1391
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 21:00

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby R1070 » 27 Jun 2022 21:06

Even if the GS building is not the tallest in the development. There's still 3 other high rise buildings in the proposed project. The 80 story tower was never meant to be their office building. It looks to be a mixed use residential building.

User avatar
tamtagon
Site Admin
Posts: 2120
Joined: 16 Oct 2016 12:04

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby tamtagon » 27 Jun 2022 21:14

Better end being the tallest in Texas.

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Tucy » 28 Jun 2022 10:33

dallaz wrote:
Tucy wrote:
dallaz wrote:
Who said that the North End development is only 15-20 stories?


The city official who made the arrangements with Goldman Sachs.

I thought they were only referring to Goldman’s tower and the park. The other development is separate. Well…at least that’s what I thought when I heard it. This is just the first phase. The other phases could go up to 80 stories.


Correct. The 15-20 stories is the G-S building. Other phases could go up to 80 stories. Or they could, just as easily, not happen for a very long time. or ever ...

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 518
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby dallaz » 28 Jun 2022 11:34

Tucy wrote:
dallaz wrote:
Tucy wrote:
The city official who made the arrangements with Goldman Sachs.

I thought they were only referring to Goldman’s tower and the park. The other development is separate. Well…at least that’s what I thought when I heard it. This is just the first phase. The other phases could go up to 80 stories.


Correct. The 15-20 stories is the G-S building. Other phases could go up to 80 stories. Or they could, just as easily, not happen for a very long time. or ever ...

So, there’s hope? That’s all we need right now. Even though…it could take forever :lol:

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 3036
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jun 2022 11:53

My complaint was always that the media jumped on the clickbait part of the project a fictional 80-story tower. Fictional in that for now that part of the project is not yet confirmed. The only thing we have in hand is an office tower for GS. If any media company had chosen to just look at the concept renderings they would have easily seen the office tower is shorter than 80 stories. Instead, the media jumped on the sensationalism element making it sound like God himself had reached down pointed at Uptown Dallas, and up sprouted an 80-story glass and steel marvelous sculpture for his blessings to do their good work out of. I am not surprised by the media but this is why I don't watch local news cause they often lie and misreport for attention-grabbing headlines. Half of the local news headlines are lies and do a disservice to the news articles sometimes. I have been correcting my friends who ask me about the news so they don't get caught up in some Dubai highrise coming to Uptown Dallas. They are already concerned about being priced out of their apartments and a gilded 80-story GS tower sounds like something that will drive rents 2x what they are.

I still think it's good that this project is happening and that we retained GS in Uptown even if they will empty out a chunk of space in Trammel Crow tower when they finally do move. I am positive about the project but I am just reigning in my expectations to a more realistic level.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
mhainli
Posts: 82
Joined: 02 Mar 2017 17:56

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby mhainli » 28 Jun 2022 11:57

There will likely be some pressure to build other aspects of the development. Would think G-S would insist on an “out clause” from their lease if the park, retail and restaurants didn’t come to fruition. Perhaps that’s why the G-S move-in date is so far out - to allow time for the other stuff to get going..

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 3036
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jun 2022 12:02

And Hunt does seem to be moving quickly and earnestly. Offering residents money to move out now so they can start demolition.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby rono3849 » 28 Jun 2022 12:06

mhainli wrote:There will likely be some pressure to build other aspects of the development. Would think G-S would insist on an “out clause” from their lease if the park, retail and restaurants didn’t come to fruition. Perhaps that’s why the G-S move-in date is so far out - to allow time for the other stuff to get going..


I wouldn't trust a developer that focused on the 80 story tower of fantasy, plus a postage stamp park that might be the size of a yard on Beverly Drive. This whole project is nothing more than a Hillwood Urban special. Remember their 80 story tower that eventually turned into a 38 story tower than eventually turned into nothing? I'd bet this will be the same result except for some displaced residents from the North End Apartments.

User avatar
DFW
Posts: 69
Joined: 22 Dec 2016 13:00

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby DFW » 28 Jun 2022 14:52

Regardless what the city council said, they are no experts when it comes to this large developments. I don’t think that Hunt will hold back the taller buildings and just build for GS, not when they have to demolish the huge North End Apartments that occupies all the entire land they are going to build on. It would be an eyesore to look at if they just do the a smaller scale first and delay the taller buildings.

cowboyeagle05
Posts: 3036
Joined: 21 Oct 2016 08:45
Location: Dallas

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jun 2022 15:16

Oh, I don't doubt the site will include the other elements like the hotel and some residential but I seriously doubt anything will climb above 20 stores on the site. GS will get something akin to what the Harwood District has for office towers. A hotel tower/residential will be flushed out within the 20 maybe 25 story range and maybe an additional smaller office tower for smaller footprint office tenants like a boutique office building that would appeal to smaller investment bankers/firms. All things that were in the concept renderings were proposed and approved but are just not as tall. Yes, there will be ground-floor retail/restaurants as previously proposed. The same types of tenants that currently lease at Old Parkland and Crescent will be attracted to this project. A coworking chain will sign a lease as well as an amenity offered to GS and other North End tenants. It won't be 80 stories, it will be what the market can actually absorb.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

User avatar
potatocoins
Posts: 194
Joined: 18 May 2021 14:01

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby potatocoins » 28 Jun 2022 15:44

I'm honestly just extremely happy to be getting 5,000 employees working here. I was pretty excited when Uber decided to open up shop in Deep Ellum, and I was hoping that there would be more of that caliber in the near future and it seems like that is what is happening here. Hopefully we can continue this momentum and see one or two more of this size in the next 5ish years.

User avatar
zblevinz555
Posts: 87
Joined: 14 Apr 2019 19:16

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby zblevinz555 » 28 Jun 2022 16:45

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Oh, I don't doubt the site will include the other elements like the hotel and some residential but I seriously doubt anything will climb above 20 stores on the site. GS will get something akin to what the Harwood District has for office towers. A hotel tower/residential will be flushed out within the 20 maybe 25 story range and maybe an additional smaller office tower for smaller footprint office tenants like a boutique office building that would appeal to smaller investment bankers/firms. All things that were in the concept renderings were proposed and approved but are just not as tall. Yes, there will be ground-floor retail/restaurants as previously proposed. The same types of tenants that currently lease at Old Parkland and Crescent will be attracted to this project. A coworking chain will sign a lease as well as an amenity offered to GS and other North End tenants. It won't be 80 stories, it will be what the market can actually absorb.



Do u think there will be eventually a building over 20-25 stories on the 11 acre development?

User avatar
mhainli
Posts: 82
Joined: 02 Mar 2017 17:56

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby mhainli » 28 Jun 2022 17:44

zblevinz555 wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Oh, I don't doubt the site will include the other elements like the hotel and some residential but I seriously doubt anything will climb above 20 stores on the site. GS will get something akin to what the Harwood District has for office towers. A hotel tower/residential will be flushed out within the 20 maybe 25 story range and maybe an additional smaller office tower for smaller footprint office tenants like a boutique office building that would appeal to smaller investment bankers/firms. All things that were in the concept renderings were proposed and approved but are just not as tall. Yes, there will be ground-floor retail/restaurants as previously proposed. The same types of tenants that currently lease at Old Parkland and Crescent will be attracted to this project. A coworking chain will sign a lease as well as an amenity offered to GS and other North End tenants. It won't be 80 stories, it will be what the market can actually absorb.



Do u think there will be eventually a building over 20-25 stories on the 11 acre development?


Would think so. Hopefully Hunt is willing to take some risk and do something besides the cookie cutter stuff that other developers are doing. There is precedent for building something first class (McKinney & Olive is one) and getting more value (100% leased ~$55/SF is the mention in DMN couple days ago). Maximizing the North End site will have to be more tall and mixed-use. Although doubtful if 80 stories gets FAA approval..I understand the skeptics and consider myself just that on many of these renderings. but I think this one might be different. Hiring a world class architect and getting G-S tells gives me optimism. Time will tell..

User avatar
Tucy
Posts: 1250
Joined: 19 Oct 2016 12:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby Tucy » 28 Jun 2022 18:59

mhainli wrote:
zblevinz555 wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Oh, I don't doubt the site will include the other elements like the hotel and some residential but I seriously doubt anything will climb above 20 stores on the site. GS will get something akin to what the Harwood District has for office towers. A hotel tower/residential will be flushed out within the 20 maybe 25 story range and maybe an additional smaller office tower for smaller footprint office tenants like a boutique office building that would appeal to smaller investment bankers/firms. All things that were in the concept renderings were proposed and approved but are just not as tall. Yes, there will be ground-floor retail/restaurants as previously proposed. The same types of tenants that currently lease at Old Parkland and Crescent will be attracted to this project. A coworking chain will sign a lease as well as an amenity offered to GS and other North End tenants. It won't be 80 stories, it will be what the market can actually absorb.



Do u think there will be eventually a building over 20-25 stories on the 11 acre development?


Would think so. Hopefully Hunt is willing to take some risk and do something besides the cookie cutter stuff that other developers are doing. There is precedent for building something first class (McKinney & Olive is one) and getting more value (100% leased ~$55/SF is the mention in DMN couple days ago). Maximizing the North End site will have to be more tall and mixed-use. Although doubtful if 80 stories gets FAA approval..I understand the skeptics and consider myself just that on many of these renderings. but I think this one might be different. Hiring a world class architect and getting G-S tells gives me optimism. Time will tell..


McKinney and Olive Is an interesting choice of precedent - 20 stories .

User avatar
rono3849
Posts: 410
Joined: 16 May 2019 23:46
Location: Dallas

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby rono3849 » 28 Jun 2022 19:44

Tucy wrote:McKinney and Olive Is an interesting choice of precedent - 20 stories .


What an eyesore of a building. It looks like a big blob to me. Thank God it's buried by surrounding taller Harwood buildings and is barely visible outside of the direct sightlines. That said, this kind of cookie cutter building is what we'll probably see for G-S. Fat & squatty with a big fountain out front is right up their alley. The W & The Victor will keep it from being visible on the skyline except when you drive by it on Field Street or on Woodall Rogers Frwy. It would be an Uptown in-fill with no distinction. Maybe we'll see something interesting when Harwood #12 is finally unveiled or what might eventually sprout out of the El Fenix parking lots.
Last edited by rono3849 on 29 Jun 2022 23:09, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
dallaz
Posts: 518
Joined: 26 Oct 2016 14:50

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby dallaz » 28 Jun 2022 20:38

cowboyeagle05 wrote:And Hunt does seem to be moving quickly and earnestly. Offering residents money to move out now so they can start demolition.

Wow, they’re doing that already?

User avatar
DFW
Posts: 69
Joined: 22 Dec 2016 13:00

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby DFW » 28 Jun 2022 23:35

I heard that the North End Apartments actually stopped taking leases as early as last February.