Uptown/Victory Park: NorthEnd

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Uptown Dallas - Field Street Development [North End Apartments Site]

Postby tamtagon » 11 Nov 2020 16:57

^traditionally, everything westish of Woodall Rodgers had been considered Oak Lawn. Cedar Springs, Turtle Creek, Uptown, Victory Park, Harwood are areas of Oak Lawn, though the definition hasn't held up over time.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 11 Nov 2020 17:10

I say “Central City (North)” or “Northend ClusterF$C#”

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 11 Nov 2020 17:24

rono3849 wrote:How does Oak Lawn have anything to do with this development? Frankly, that's an over reach IMO.

It's in the City's Planned Development District #193 (also known as the Oak Lawn Special Purpose District), which falls under the jurisdiction of the Oak Lawn Committee.

You can see the map here: https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/view ... 74,33.0244

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Nov 2020 20:45

How about? Project Name: Victory North end and the Park will called Victory Yards

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 13 Nov 2020 12:27

See what I mean? Three articles in two weeks! Someone's excited (and the developer's investment in that 83 story rendering has paid handsome returns).

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... town-area/

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... s-skyline/

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... arboretum/

Zmitz

Postby Zmitz » 09 Jan 2021 23:46

I don't think I have seen this elsewhere, this was posted to a Victory Park 'Neighborhood Association' Facebook page. The thing that sticks out like a sore thumb to me is that loading dock on the corner by the AAC. I'd think that's a no brainer to activate that corner and draw people from the rest of VP...the group on FB already is expressing concern over the loading docks on Houston and the massing of the towers.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is some sort of NIMBY group, there is not much information. They claim to be setting up a Zoom call with the developer this Tuesday.

https://www.facebook.com/VNADallas

137199053_108813847822073_8980044949768368247_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LPG

Postby LPG » 10 Jan 2021 07:48

It is interesting that the ‘park’ and retail is orientated towards River St, which consists of a parking lot and non-active side of the Perot, as opposed to the AAC. Houston St is a mess currently, but I’d be curious as to their answer.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Jan 2021 07:55

I would love if part of this land is donated for Perot Museum expansion... having the park oriented to the museum may be the best that can realistically hoped for.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Jan 2021 17:05

I still doubt this development is a serious play. Seems like the usual dog and pony show to snag a theoretical lead tenant. You do all this pre approval process so you can claim shovel ready then when and a big IF a lead tenant shows up they start making major modifications to the plan cause the lead tenant starts making requests. Do you know how many proposals one of these lead tenants has to choose from? Literally dozens. I just don't see this one ever getting past conceptual renderings and a site plan.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 08 Jun 2021 11:04

Any news/rumors here? Is the rezoning process progressing? Has it started?

(NorthEnd apartments appear to still be signing 12-month leases).

LPG

Postby LPG » 08 Jun 2021 12:38

Tucy wrote:Any news/rumors here? Is the rezoning process progressing? Has it started?

City Plan Commission - May 20th

https://dallascityhall.com/government/m ... _FINAL.pdf

ajderry2017

Postby ajderry2017 » 08 Jun 2021 22:38

LPG wrote:
Tucy wrote:Any news/rumors here? Is the rezoning process progressing? Has it started?

City Plan Commission - May 20th

https://dallascityhall.com/government/m ... _FINAL.pdf

Great find! If you know, could you explain/educate us what happens next? Not familiar with planning commission approval process. This seems to be a step in the right direction correct?

eburress

Postby eburress » 09 Jun 2021 08:50

How wild would it be if this rather ambitious project, out of all the rather ambitious projects, was the one that happened first?

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 09 Jun 2021 09:02

eburress wrote:How wild would it be if this rather ambitious project, out of all the rather ambitious projects, was the one that happened first?

Oh that'd be 100% the most un-Dallas, wild thing to happen. But I'm ready for it to happen. All 830 feet, 82 or 83 stories (on that hotel/resi tower), and more.

I've been praying to the development gods ever since this proposal surfaced. :lol: :(

By the way, check your PMs.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Jun 2021 22:11

I wouldn't over expect anything even if they get the zoning of their dreams. They can tell the city they hope to start by fall of 2021 and never do a thing and flip the property to someone who will pay for a property already rezoned. Or they can show the concept renderings for years and never get a bite. Aka most of Dallas that was never built.

willyk

Postby willyk » 15 Jun 2021 00:10

It’s a particularly good and large site, well situated for a mega project.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 15 Jun 2021 07:48

On the unofficial forum Discord server, tivo_kenevil pointed out that, while they personally believe downtown Austin has eclipsed and will continue to eclipse central Dallas in urban quality, one thing Downtown Dallas has on Austin is a more accommodating (smaller, more activate-ible) block size. I agree.

The streets shown in the diagram above are less like walkable connectors, more like driveways — that is, the scale is fine but they’re not paths that the rest of the city would use to cross the site while going anywhere, with the possible exception of Ashland St travelers to/from Houston St. (The merged superblock west of Houston is a blank pair of loading docks, though, not a path into Victory).

It would be better to be even less of a megablock project than the current proposal. They do at least plan to start with interim uses like low rise restaurants, which the city packet notes should not be permitted to become permanent.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Jun 2021 14:15

I have serious doubts any of this plan will ever see the light of day unless Amazon shows back up and says well take it since New York threw a fit.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 21 Jun 2021 10:44

Welp, this has been by the city planning commission approved, so we'll see what happens with the city council next. Fingers crossed they approve it to, and fingers extra crossed for the 830-foot tall, 83-story residential tower to rise. :D
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2021/06/21/huge-skyscraper-project-north-of-downtown-dallas-gets-approval/

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Jun 2021 11:35

From the article above:

Plans for a new skyscraper development on the north edge of downtown Dallas have gotten approval from city planners.

Dallas’ Hunt Realty’s 11-acre Field Street project will include office, residential and hotel towers and retail space just north of Woodall Rodgers Freeway. Plans call for the high-rises to surround a lush central park.

The mixed-use project could include buildings taller than 80 stories.

Dallas’ city plan commission gave unanimous approval for the development at its last meeting, and the city council still must give final acceptance of zoning changes for the project.

The towers and park would replace the Northend Apartments — built in 1997 — which predate the building boom in the area.

Hunt Realty has owned the site for more than two decades

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 21 Jun 2021 11:37

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I have serious doubts any of this plan will ever see the light of day unless Amazon shows back up and says well take it since New York threw a fit.

This like many other ambitious projects, will be scaled down and have a fraction built of what's proposed. Any word the the De La Vega project by city place? That's another big tower project stuck in the mud.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 21 Jun 2021 11:39

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:I have serious doubts any of this plan will ever see the light of day unless Amazon shows back up and says well take it since New York threw a fit.

This like many other ambitious projects, will be scaled down and have a fraction built of what's proposed. Any word the the De La Vega project by city place? That's another big tower project stuck in the mud.

Oh yeah, unless a miracle happens, it definitely will be scaled down. However, I'll take the resi/hotel combo tower, the park, and the mass timber office building. Everything else can be axed as far as I'm concerned lol.

As far as The Central, no. Last I heard, they're "reworking the plans for a post-COVID world" or something along those lines.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 21 Jun 2021 13:37

Even if once approved, this would still be years away from any sort of construction / demolition. You can walk in today and sign a 13 month lease for an apartment at Northend.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 21 Jun 2021 13:46

I'm totally okay with a scaled down version, I'm really just looking forward to the NorthEnd apartments being razed and for something that will better connect Victory Park to Uptown in its place.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Jun 2021 14:27

Once the city council approves this it can be filed away for Dallas projects never built. Then this thread will go silent and 4 months from now someone will post "any news on this project".

willyk

Postby willyk » 21 Jun 2021 22:53

But aren’t we at the point where the next wave of Uptown mixed use has to go to Field St.? N or S of Woodall, but definitely Field St.?

The fact that we have 4 or so projects proposed there must mean something.

And does the KWP expansion pull the center of gravity this way a bit, and make these sites even more attractive? If were the owner of the Noth End, I would build a promenade from KWP to the Perot and hence connect the North End to KWP.
Last edited by willyk on 22 Jun 2021 04:00, edited 3 times in total.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 22 Jun 2021 02:17

Once the northend apartments get demolished in 2042, a place holder including del friscos grille, razzoos, and a high end nail bar will be slapped down with a seamless transition in going vertical in 2051when Amazon HQ5 come knocking on the door.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Jun 2021 08:22

Sadly, I have a feeling that the 1-acre park will be as useful as the concrete lawn in Victory... a place to walk your dog as you take in the 360 view of parking garages.

The only way to make this work would be to make it an extension of the Perot entrance, with compatible architecture and landscaping.

Of course, that would require the Perots and the Hunts to work together for the good of the city. Good luck with that.

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 8.07.24 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rickbansal

Postby rickbansal » 22 Jun 2021 09:37

lakewoodhobo wrote:Sadly, I have a feeling that the 1-acre park will be as useful as the concrete lawn in Victory... a place to walk your dog as you take in the 360 view of parking garages.

The only way to make this work would be to make it an extension of the Perot entrance, with compatible architecture and landscaping.

Of course, that would require the Perots and the Hunts to work together for the good of the city. Good luck with that.

Doesn't seem that way based on this:

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 22 Jun 2021 09:49

rickbansal wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:Sadly, I have a feeling that the 1-acre park will be as useful as the concrete lawn in Victory... a place to walk your dog as you take in the 360 view of parking garages.

The image you attached isn't displaying.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 22 Jun 2021 10:56

Any green space is better than none.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Jun 2021 11:08

rickbansal wrote:

Of course I agree that any green space is better than none, but the problem with that plan is the driveway/porte-cochère/roundabout taking up most of the north side of the park (finally, they're building Two Arts Plaza).

Kudos for the southern half and the park-facing retail, but I don't see where pedestrians are encouraged to walk from the AAC to the Perot. It's basically invisible from AT&T Plaza.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 22 Jun 2021 11:31

lakewoodhobo wrote:
rickbansal wrote:

Of course I agree that any green space is better than none, but the problem with that plan is the driveway/porte-cochère/roundabout taking up most of the north side of the park (finally, they're building Two Arts Plaza).

Kudos for the southern half and the park-facing retail, but I don't see where pedestrians are encouraged to walk from the AAC to the Perot. It's basically invisible from AT&T Plaza.

Huh? Two Arts Plaza?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jun 2021 11:33

Any green space is good? While I am not advocating a surface parking lot instead, wasteful greenspace is how we got the suburbs. Millions of acres of wasted lawns that burn through water resources all so Margaret can impress the neighbors with her well clipped Bermuda. Then throw in thousands of homeowners complaining to cities for making them water lawns on certain days cause a drought caused by unnatural plants and green front lawns to wither. Kids cant play on them cause the cars race down the street or they are designed as such to cram every lot with a front lawn but is inherently ill conceived layout for useful or relaxing space. Not all suburban areas are designed this way but most are. Some neighborhoods join all the lawns in a large unified area with cars entering from the back allowing the whole neighborhood to share in common space while allowing space between each home to still keep people from feeling crammed together.

Current trends in favor of parks in Urban areas are doing something similar where land is thrown at a "park" which is often rendered with movies outside or a frisbee being thrown at a dog and that's just office park project renderings. It is more likely that this will be a lawn that is kept well but will largely be used simply as a bullet point not a sustainable open space that people want to actually use. Just be careful throwing land at parks without actual intentional design being put forth into their location and function. Its just as bad as developers calling shopping centers "Plazas" like a parking lot is a real place people gather and hangout. Throw in the right key words on a power point and you can convince anyone at a neighborhood meeting to sign a supportive letter.

THRILLHO

Postby THRILLHO » 22 Jun 2021 12:03

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Just be careful throwing land at parks without actual intentional design being put forth into their location and function. Its just as bad as developers calling shopping centers "Plazas" like a parking lot is a real place people gather and hangout.

I completely agree. There are so many questionable green space designs that I wonder if architectural firms bother hiring landscape architects at all. Or is accepted design practice in that field in such a funk these days that it keeps producing useless, pretty voids?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Jun 2021 12:22

When you go to college for City Planning they tell you upfront rarely are City Planners involved in any planning beyond working for city hall. Even there city planners recommend and city council changes those recommendations because Karen says she doesn't want a playground near her home cause he doesn't like the sounds of kids waking her up. Yes you can get a job working for a Architectural firm that does planning but if its not some masterplan project bigger than this this North End project planners and landscapers are rarely used for their actual skills. Architects are the stars and everything must spin around their goals for showcasing their genius in space, light and sight lines.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Jun 2021 12:34

undefinedprocess wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:
rickbansal wrote:

Huh? Two Arts Plaza?

One Arts Plaza promised a grand public space bookending Flora across from the DMA. This is what we got instead.

Two Arts Plaza should've been built ages ago, but seeing what they consider a public space, I think we dodged a bullet.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 23 Jun 2021 09:36

My gut tells me that the Hunt project will actually happen. They seem to be able to create interest in their projects that draw people in. Perot has thrown so many designs on their corner lot resulting in little interest that they'd be smart to just sell the site to some other developer. I don't know if the KDC development will ever come out of the ground either, which is sad because the sea of asphalt parking lots on Field Street at Woodall Rogers is not an inviting sight for Downtown Dallas.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 23 Jun 2021 10:01

lakewoodhobo wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:

Huh? Two Arts Plaza?

One Arts Plaza promised a grand public space bookending Flora across from the DMA. This is what we got instead.

Two Arts Plaza should've been built ages ago, but seeing what they consider a public space, I think we dodged a bullet.

Oh haha gotcha, yeah I know. That "plaza" is really depressing.
I would love if Two Arts Plaza was reworked, I think it could be great for the area (assuming it's done right, duh). But that site is so important. Thought there was something I missed regarding it, but I gotcha now lol. The well-deserved slander. :lol:
rono3849 wrote:My gut tells me that the Hunt project will actually happen. They seem to be able to create interest in their projects that draw people in. Perot has thrown so many designs on their corner lot resulting in little interest that they'd be smart to just sell the site to some other developer. I don't know if the KDC development will ever come out of the ground either, which is sad because the sea of asphalt parking lots on Field Street at Woodall Rogers is not an inviting sight for Downtown Dallas.

Aside from interest (which who wouldn't be interested in a project with the second tallest building in Dallas?), what gives you that gut feeling? As much as I would absolutely love for this project to happen in its entirety, I don't know. With an 803-foot, 83-story hotel/condo tower, that's a lot... Obviously, it could be scaled back, but... I want it to happen, but jeez. I don't know.

And as far as the KDC project, are you referring to the KDC Miyama one right there on KWP? Not sure if that's what you're referring to, but if so, more info just came out a couple of months ago, so there's at least a bit of activity. They named it! /s
Parkside Uptown, which now that I visited the website, it's providing some sort of error, so...

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 23 Jun 2021 10:41

undefinedprocess wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:Huh? Two Arts Plaza?

I would love if Two Arts Plaza was reworked, I think it could be great for the area (assuming it's done right, duh). But that site is so important. Thought there was something I missed regarding it, but I gotcha now lol. The well-deserved slander. :lol:
rono3849 wrote:My gut tells me that the Hunt project will actually happen. They seem to be able to create interest in their projects that draw people in. Perot has thrown so many designs on their corner lot resulting in little interest that they'd be smart to just sell the site to some other developer. I don't know if the KDC development will ever come out of the ground either, which is sad because the sea of asphalt parking lots on Field Street at Woodall Rogers is not an inviting sight for Downtown Dallas.

Aside from interest (which who wouldn't be interested in a project with the second tallest building in Dallas?), what gives you that gut feeling? As much as I would absolutely love for this project to happen in its entirety, I don't know. With an 803-foot, 83-story hotel/condo tower, that's a lot... Obviously, it could be scaled back, but... I want it to happen, but jeez. I don't know.

I think it's 890 feet, thank goodness. But even with that, that's only an average of 10.72 feet floor-to-floor. Relatively low ceilings for very high prices that they would have to charge for apartments and hotel rooms in order to recover the costs of constructing 83 stores tall? The 83-story tower is nothing more than click-bait. (And I love the way Steve Brown repeatedly reports that the development includes "buildings" [plural] taller than 80 stories. :lol: )
Last edited by Tucy on 23 Jun 2021 13:09, edited 3 times in total.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 23 Jun 2021 10:46

Tucy wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:

I think it's 890 feet, thank goodness. But even with that, that's only an average of 10.72 feet floor-to-floor. Relatively low ceilings for very high prices that they would have to charge for apartments and hotel rooms in order to recover the costs of constructing 83 stores tall? The 83-story tower is nothing more than click-bait. (And I [i]love[i] the way Steve Brown repeatedly reports that the development includes "buildings" [plural] taller than 80 stories. LOL)

Oh yeah, I think 890 feet is correct. I really wish it weren't clickbait. Hope you're wrong, respectfully, but I doubt it... I just want some new skyline height. :?

Dallas_Uptown

Postby Dallas_Uptown » 23 Jun 2021 11:54

If memory serves, the One Arts "Plaza" (pictured) doubles as a somewhat circular drive. I remember it as it was the most confusing space I've ever driven through.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 24 Jun 2021 05:43

Random ? but does anyone know how to I guess crop is what you’d call it maybe not but crop photos to where you can take projects like north end by hunt realty, field st tower, field st district, and NewPark and make a future skyline rendering by inserting these projects to a current skyline photo? Would be cool to see how downtown Dallas would look in the future, basically a hypothetical skyline assuming all these projects come to fruition.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 24 Jun 2021 13:38

zblevinz555 wrote:Random ? but does anyone know how to I guess crop is what you’d call it maybe not but crop photos to where you can take projects like north end by hunt realty, field st tower, field st district, and NewPark and make a future skyline rendering by inserting these projects to a current skyline photo? Would be cool to see how downtown Dallas would look in the future, basically a hypothetical skyline assuming all these projects come to fruition.

I've actually been working on this, well, barely started, but have been procrastinating finishing. Trust me, I'm really interested in what it would look like to, done properly/at scale, especially with the Field St District and this project.

Hopefully, I can get some time to finish that soon.

willyk

Postby willyk » 24 Jun 2021 23:46

DFW wrote:https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2021/06/hunt-realty-bets-big-on-new-victory-park-development/?fbclid=IwAR0vKZ_8LQTfKnqDoXRbvyVH_QQU3KNW-Do-RBid9w2dn_ObkzF2IAM_ZqI

Hoping it all happens…but what’s this about?:

..the planned Hi Line Connector will connect the Katy Trail to the Design District, making the bike lanes along Houston Street an important bridge.

soco

Postby soco » 25 Jun 2021 09:04

willyk wrote:
DFW wrote:https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2021/06/hunt-realty-bets-big-on-new-victory-park-development/?fbclid=IwAR0vKZ_8LQTfKnqDoXRbvyVH_QQU3KNW-Do-RBid9w2dn_ObkzF2IAM_ZqI

Hoping it all happens…but what’s this about?:

..the planned Hi Line Connector will connect the Katy Trail to the Design District, making the bike lanes along Houston Street an important bridge.

This project is part of The Loop (theloopdallas.org/) The City of Dallas is working with the Circuit Trail Conservancy to create improved bike/ped connections between the Katy Trail and the Trinity Strand Trail. The connection will take the form of improved sidewalks, dedicated bike lanes, and a shared use path down the Hi Line median. Roadways will be narrowed in places (lanes will not be removed, just roadway width will be narrowed) to allocate more space to bikes/peds. Construction should start later this year and take about a year to complete.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 25 Jun 2021 09:32

Not sure if it was previously discussed, but it's definitely interesting to hear all the "conversation" that was had between VP residents and Hunt. Seems like they actually might care a tiny little bit..? Am I being too nice..? Maybe. But hey, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm more optimistic about this project happening in its full 80-story plus glory than I am Midtown. And that's sad.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 25 Jun 2021 10:42

I'm digging the amount of retail along Houston

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Jun 2021 11:30

maconahey wrote:Image

I'm digging the amount of retail along Houston

Ok but it'll look a little closer to this.

KPF-North-End-Dallas-Sterling-CopyrightPlomp.jpg