Pegasus Place Tower

Tnexster

Pegasus Place Tower

Postby Tnexster » 10 Jul 2020 13:52

Landmark Pegasus tower on Stemmons Freeway will anchor new mixed-use project

The high-rise that starred in a futuristic movie in 1976 will now house biotech and nonprofit firms.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... se-project

A landmark Dallas tower is getting new life as a state-of-the–art home for biotech firms and nonprofit organizations.

The Pegasus Place high-rise on Stemmons Freeway has starred in Hollywood movies and previously housed operations for Exxon Mobil Corp.

Hannibal Lecter

Re: Pegasus Place Tower

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 10 Jul 2020 16:31

I worked there around 1977. It was actually a pretty nice building for that era. Great location.

A funny story about Logan's Run: The building was supposedly located inside a domed city. Now look at that second picture above. What do you see? Clouds. Lots of clouds reflected in the glass. Which was what nobody noticed until the move was well into post-production. You don't have clouds inside a dome. This was in the days before CGI, so the had to airbrush the clouds out of the windows by hand, frame-by-frame, in the exterior shots.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 10 Jul 2020 17:06

Yuck. I don't like the "refresh." It looks outdated. The original design is sleek and cool. Just clean it up and replace materials, but don't change the original architectural vision.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Jul 2020 17:40

Hopefully this is the start of a very robust biotech boom in Dallas. There's millions of old hospital space to fill....

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 10 Jul 2020 20:50

Isn’t this the third iteration of glass on this building? Wasn’t it originally a bronze color? Or am I thinking of the older HQ up the road which is now an old folks home?

utgf

Postby utgf » 10 Jul 2020 23:58

Matt777 wrote:Yuck. I don't like the "refresh." It looks outdated. The original design is sleek and cool. Just clean it up and replace materials, but don't change the original architectural vision.

The original architectural vision was already destroyed decades ago in the previous refresh which left it with stubs at the top and bottom that lost its original context.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 11 Jul 2020 00:18

utgf wrote:
Matt777 wrote:Yuck. I don't like the "refresh." It looks outdated. The original design is sleek and cool. Just clean it up and replace materials, but don't change the original architectural vision.

The original architectural vision was already destroyed decades ago in the previous refresh which left it with stubs at the top and bottom that lost its original context.

The original looks infinitely better. Bronze glass fits the scheme alot better.
Maybe they are not aware of the original design?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jul 2020 11:26

Haha I bet they are aware but no one is going to reinstall bronze glass in this day and age. I understand some of your desire to reference back to historical conditions but considering what they are proposing a bio tech hub thats highly unlikely. The fact that we are getting any glass redo is a huge investment and no property owner is gonna spend that much for a color glass that looks like the building never was updated in the first place. I honestly think the redo looks great but I think it will look even better in person. Renderings are a hard thing to see past all the lipstick and eyeliner. Like a drag queen makeup renderings cover up a lot of the actuality underneath. Personally I would prefer to see some mixed use around the tower rather than worrying too much about the glass color. Living spaces that allow for some experimentation in urban housing could be a cool way to integrate more innovation and attract tenants that are startups looking to create whole new products that change the way we live.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 11 Jul 2020 17:14

I dont mind the color of the new glass (it is more efficient!!) just wish they exposed the concrete beams. so the overall design of the building made more sense, and didnt looks like a standard rectangle box. IF they wanted to, they could even paint the concrete a different color so it would look more modern. The rendering as it is, just looks like they turned back the clock a decade on the existing worn out windows. and did some landscaping.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 12 Jul 2020 11:22

I used to go into that building years ago calling on The Bloom Agency, which was one of Dallas' premiere advertising agencies at the time.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 12 Jul 2020 15:06

Wow! I've been seeing construction on this building for months and was curious what they were doing. But it seems like scant small scale construction has been going since Exxon left years ago. It did seem like prime real-estate opportunity wasting away, so its nice to see something finally happening.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Jul 2020 13:59

It seems in general the Stemmons area has been seeing some movement. Several new hotels in the mid priced range have opened including one near this tower. The large Stemmons towers site has been purchased as well. Seems like Stemmons is finally getting some reinvestment.

vman

Postby vman » 09 Sep 2020 14:00

cowboyeagle05 wrote:It seems in general the Stemmons area has been seeing some movement. Several new hotels in the mid priced range have opened including one near this tower. The large Stemmons towers site has been purchased as well. Seems like Stemmons is finally getting some reinvestment.

Can anyone shed light on why the Stemmons Corridor kinda petered out and is now the D-list of Dallas' office districts? I've always been curious about that. There are some really nice towers off I-35 but they seem to have been very neglected. I'm so glad to see some investment going on here.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 09 Sep 2020 21:38

The area was a major hub for advertising & marketing firms in the 1970's and 1980's. The proximity in-between Downtown & DFW Airport made for smart business. Subsequently, ad agencies started to move into North Dallas & nicer, newer buildings were built which attracted firms. Now that UT Southwestern has spend billions in the area, I'd expect the medical related firms to move into the area in earnest.

eburress

Postby eburress » 10 Sep 2020 08:53

That's what it seemed like to me. The Stemmons corridor was the hot new area but as people, development, and tenants moved north, it stagnated.

Hopefully with the growth of the Design District and the eventual reconstruction of Stemmons, that the Stemmons corridor would experience a rebirth.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 15 Jan 2021 10:13

UT Southwestern makes big move to ambitious Pegasus Park biotech campus
The medical school’s lease makes it the latest tenant to choose the redevelopment on Stemmons Freeway.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ice-lease/

An ambitious redevelopment project near Dallas’ medical district has landed another major tenant, cementing its success.

UT Southwestern Medical Center is leasing 180,000 square feet of space in the Pegasus Park campus on Stemmons Freeway near Love Field.

The lease is one of the largest signed in the Dallas area in the last year and is a big win for Pegasus Park, which is renovating an 18-story tower and surrounding buildings into a state-of-the–art home for biotech firms and nonprofit organizations.

willyk

Postby willyk » 16 Jan 2021 06:54

What makes this building especially well suited for biotech? Did the redevelopment add labs, refrigeration, exhaust systems, etc.?

Extending the elevated North Campus Connector to this building would be a cool way to tie it to the rest of the campus. (This is a state agency. They love to build highways.)

https://www.utsouthwestern.edu/edumedia ... us-map.pdf

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Jan 2021 10:29

The funny thing is if the "Old" Parkland project was off the ground across from the new one that developer probably would have gotten some of these similar leases being so tied into things already.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 16 Jan 2021 11:24

^I forgot about the OP.2

But with the former Mobil Oil HQ building intended to be a cornerstone of a biotech "hub" intended to grow dramatically, perhaps the huge vacant hospital will join the repurposing.

It's embarrassing that in the vast North Texas economic center, $489.4 million per year to fund faculty research at UTSW is regions largest... that the combined research budget of the all the regions educational institutions is *probably* less than $1.6 billion at Harvard. Whatever happened to the state's tier one fast track initiative?

Moving on....

willyk

Postby willyk » 17 Jan 2021 05:17

tamtagon wrote:^I forgot about the OP.2

But with the former Mobil Oil HQ building intended to be a cornerstone of a biotech "hub" intended to grow dramatically, perhaps the huge vacant hospital will join the repurposing.

Moving on....

Pegasus Place certainly proves the viability of repurposing older Parkland. It seems that many things should work there now, such as converting some of it to hotel, as was done at Baylor, extended stay, health vocational schools, the DISD Health Magnet or charter schools focused on the health professions, medical and professional offices, outsourced lab and imaging centers, offices for suppliers and logistics providers, breakfast/ lunch cafes, etc. And the success the many residential developments on Maple demonstrates that the right kind of residential, targeting the professional employment base, would work there too.

And if it’s not done at OP.2, how about the site fronting Stemmons between Market Hall and the site that Children’s owns?

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 02 Mar 2021 15:30

tamtagon wrote:^I forgot about the OP.2

It's embarrassing that in the vast North Texas economic center, $489.4 million per year to fund faculty research at UTSW is regions largest... that the combined research budget of the all the regions educational institutions is *probably* less than $1.6 billion at Harvard. Whatever happened to the state's tier one fast track initiative?

Moving on....

Just for the record, this building was never Mobil Oil's HQ

LPG

Postby LPG » 08 Apr 2021 16:48

Dallas craft beer brewer Community Beer Co. is moving into a grand new home between the Design District and the Medical District.

Located at 3110 Commonwealth Dr., the new headquarters will be located in the renovated Pegasus Park campus.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-08-21-community-beer-co-pegasus-park-biergarten/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Apr 2021 09:06

Looks great! I love the current Community Brewery space, and this one sounds even better, can't wait to see what this one is like!

Does Mark Cuban own the current space? I know it's next to the Mav's training facility.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 09 Apr 2021 12:27

Imagine if they got rid of some of those surface lots...
This should be great though, love seeing interest & progress in this area.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Apr 2021 21:42

This project is screaming to get that large parking lot to contain an apartment project marketing itself to the employees at the startups and the medical district employees.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 14 Apr 2021 16:35

cowboyeagle05 wrote:This project is screaming to get that large parking lot to contain an apartment project marketing itself to the employees at the startups and the medical district employees.

100%. Would be a great spot for a little park/pond, with a decent apartment tower fronting it. Think there's so much untapped potential with this one, and really hope someone wakes up and taps into it before it's "too late."

jimmyx18

Postby jimmyx18 » 01 Jun 2021 14:01

And development in this area will be greatly appreciated. It can be a rough area sometimes. Parked right between the county medical center and a whole host of strip clubs can make encounters in the area "interesting".

I may be 'tooma' since I don't have statistics to back up what I'm saying, but it seems like we get a high number of dead bodies found in the area as well. I'm sure it happens in many big cities near their county hospitals, but that can still worry potential tenants.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 30 Sep 2022 13:44

Building sales and medical growth boosts property along Dallas’ Stemmons Freeway
Growth of Medical District and Dallas Love Field bring new life to old business district.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... s-freeway/

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 09 Jan 2023 03:39

Found this on the Urban Design Peer Review Board

Pegasus Park

https://dallascityhall.com/departments/ ... 012.12.pdf

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Mar 2023 09:43

Major expansion on the way at Dallas’ Pegasus Park biotech campus
Additions to the successful life sciences hub near Love Field will make room for more tenants.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... rk-campus/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 Sep 2023 15:44

Biotech hub win gives Dallas edge to be the next medical research hotbed
Dallas’ days of being an emerging biotech and life sciences hub could soon come to an end if the city and state can manage ARPA-H.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/202 ... ch-hotbed/

The federal government announced Tuesday that the Advanced Research Projects Agency for Health, also known as ARPA-H, will be coming to Dallas’ life science and business center, Pegasus Park.

The project could bring with it new jobs, an influx of talent, federal funds and elevated prestige. It’s a victory Dallas’ biotech and life sciences sector has been clamoring for since Pegasus Park opened in 2021.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 27 Sep 2023 11:43

Would it make sense for our downtown USPTO (Patent and Trademark Office) branch office to be within walking distance eventually?

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 28 Sep 2023 13:43

^ Other than employees, who actually goes there in person? Everything's online.