Cityplace East: ACS/Xerox redevelopment (The Central)

tamtagon
Site Admin

Cityplace East: ACS/Xerox redevelopment (The Central)

Postby tamtagon » 10 Nov 2016 09:25

The former ACS HQ site along Central Expressway with a couple pending plans to redevelop the property.

Midrise building on the north end (NCX @ Carroll) has been demolished to make way for a Sam's Club shopping center. Irregularities with rezoning for the shopping center put a halt on construction as an East Dallas neighborhood association to stop the existing plan.

Same developer, Trammel Crow, purchased much if not all of the property on the southern end, too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Cityplace ACS/Xerox redevelopment

Postby tamtagon » 10 Nov 2016 09:27

I think the Haskell side of the property is proposed to have something like 700 apartments.

muncien

Postby muncien » 10 Nov 2016 09:37

Tamtagon,
Is there new information you were referencing here? Maybe a link or attachment? All I see is a map screenshot. Curious if there is something simmering around this.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Nov 2016 11:19

Nothing new that I could find. The topic undoubtedly will be in play at some point, this is just a starter.

I think I remember correctly that TCrow has plans for the Haskell side of this property, and considering the demand for intown dwellings, that might actually move forward before the Sam's Club mess is sorted out.

That Cityplace Tower across the street just lined up a bunch of money for renovation, I don't see much of Haskell Blvd into East Dallas trucking along as it is. That Target shopping center needs to be dug out and built up 20-30 stories.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Nov 2016 15:29

From facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/1821551208121421/

Our Fight with your support has been yeilding great results. And There is a chance we may hear the anwer. This is the biggest development as of today concering stopping Trammell Crow's Sam's Club development. Come in numbers, wear red (I am sure you still have one), and show support.

The hearing is November 28, 2016, at 1:30-3 pm in the 162nd District Court on the 7th Floor, New Tower, George L. Allen, Sr. Courts Building, 600 Commerce St., Dallas, TX 75202.

theoryNine

Postby theoryNine » 28 Nov 2016 16:08

Latest from FB updates on the meeting: "The Sam's Club's permission to build on U.S. 75 has been voided due to improper notice."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Nov 2016 16:22

Wow back to the drawing board.....I hope.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Nov 2016 16:26

theoryNine wrote:Latest from FB updates on the meeting: "The Sam's Club's permission to build on U.S. 75 has been voided due to improper notice."

Thanks for posting the actual update! haha

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Nov 2016 16:33

Now, maybe we'll see a good proposal from TCrow, one that works with the entire property!

I guess would rather see Costco than Sams (personally my shopping habits never lead me to either), along this 75 highway frontage road is a great location for one of these warehouse stores, increased retail variety in the downtown area is a positive. It'll have to add to and cooperate with the growing new-urban neighborhood instead of muscling an outmoded suburban plan!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Nov 2016 16:44

I nice complement to WV, would be fun if the entire east side Cityplace area became more dense and the trolley had a line running down Haskell to feed into the rest of Cityplace.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 Nov 2016 17:45

^Look at the opportunity TCrow is sitting on... there's already a light rail access tunnel just north of Haskell, expanding the trolley across the highway on Haskell and all the way to Fair Park (an eventuality) and the former ACS HQ could be the pinnacle of the Peak-Haskell corridor. *sigh*

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 29 Nov 2016 03:48

This is such a sweet win. I was at the first open community meeting and remember the smug attitude of the talking head D-bags that trammel crow sent and how disrespectful they were to the nearby residents. They drove down in their Escalades and Yukons from the outer burbs and tried to act like they had the community's interest at heart. This was a terrible design from the start for that area and hopefully TC will take the high road and develop something fitting of that prime site. Especially one that makes use of the tens of millions of taxpayer dollars invested in the adjacent Cityplace DART station. I'm ecstatic.

JohnMcKee

Postby JohnMcKee » 29 Nov 2016 08:59

TC is appealing and I am pretty sure they will win. This is a terrible use of the property and they neighborhood was clearly tricked but I don't understand legally how it is TC's fault that absolutely no one bothered to read the actual zoning application that clearly allowed big box retail or asked any questions.

First rule of zoning is if the zoning allows it assume it will happen no matter what pretty renders they show you.

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 29 Nov 2016 09:42

I very much hope the Zoning becomes a moot point as the value of the land increases and they watch better developments built all around them. the City and TC should be able to reach an agreement that allows the Sams club but designed for an urban setting.

The idea of a street car spur down haskel sounds like a great idea too. It would be a great way to connect the Kroger to the uptown area... and help TC justify a better development. You are only talking about 2500 feet to Capital Ave. and a future expansion up Capital to Knox would only be a total of 1.4 miles and connect Uptown to the quickly developing East Dallas area.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 29 Nov 2016 15:11

JohnMcKee wrote:TC is appealing and I am pretty sure they will win. This is a terrible use of the property and they neighborhood was clearly tricked but I don't understand legally how it is TC's fault that absolutely no one bothered to read the actual zoning application that clearly allowed big box retail or asked any questions.

First rule of zoning is if the zoning allows it assume it will happen no matter what pretty renders they show you.

What makes you so sure they'll appeal? At this point it doesn't seem that it makes financial sense to pursue a Suburbanized shopping destination on that piece of land.

The quote from the Dallas Observer story doesn't seem like TC is still hell bent on putting a Sam's there...

From the story...

"Scott Dyche, Trammell Crow's general counsel, did not say whether or not his company would reapply for big-box zoning. Trammell Crow is keeping its options open, he said.

“While we’re certainly disappointed with today’s ruling, we are considering all our options moving forward. We still believe this is a premier east side development site with its location, freeway access and proximity to neighborhood amenities and new Class A residential projects," Dyche said."

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/neig ... ub-8945434

Austin55

Re: Cityplace East: ACS/Xerox redevelopment

Postby Austin55 » 27 May 2017 17:43

Is this of relevance to this thread?

http://www.delavegadevelopment.com/prop ... rettyPhoto

It looks like this site, but I'm not super familiar with Dallas developments. Trying to catch myself up!
Last edited by Austin55 on 27 May 2017 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

buildingswithlegs

Postby buildingswithlegs » 27 May 2017 18:27

Eataly?! That'd be huge for dallas!

eburress

Postby eburress » 27 May 2017 19:33

Hmmmm...it seems like it would have to be this site, based on the description, but it's hard to tell based on the renderings. It's also kind of odd the way that the roads into/within the development look like a freeway interchange.

willyk

Postby willyk » 28 May 2017 03:53

I don't see the old ACS building in there. I would have expected them to renovate that building rather than take it down.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 May 2017 10:29

So is trammel crow still owners of this land?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 28 May 2017 10:44

^I thought they just have some sort of 'first dibs' on the whole block...?

I think DART has an existing shaft from this corner to the subway station.... if this proposal does not organize the finishing of the subway station access, I want to be against the whole deal.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 28 May 2017 11:18

willyk wrote:I don't see the old ACS building in there. I would have expected them to renovate that building rather than take it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyBrvWeDc0

TowerGuy2.0

Postby TowerGuy2.0 » 28 May 2017 18:23

My sister and I discovered Eataly a couple years back in Manhattan. Just today we were talking about it because we're going back. Then I stumbled on this. Please. Don't. Play. Is this for real?! Any timeline?

willyk

Postby willyk » 28 May 2017 21:38

tanzoak wrote:
willyk wrote:I don't see the old ACS building in there. I would have expected them to renovate that building rather than take it down.

Hahahaha. Touché!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 29 May 2017 08:33

tanzoak wrote:

Yes, that building was torn down but the rest of the complex right at the intersection of Haskell and 75 Hwy is still standing... The rendering up above seems to show the corner the current buildings are on.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

R1070

Postby R1070 » 29 May 2017 17:03

Hopefully this gets build and kills the Sam's Club, suburban fast food parcels that were proposed. That large area could be an amazing mixed use project.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 29 May 2017 21:40

Well for what it's worth, it looks like the photos and site plan is dated 4-17-17. So it is recent!

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 30 May 2017 09:39

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
tanzoak wrote:

Yes, that building was torn down but the rest of the complex right at the intersection of Haskell and 75 Hwy is still standing... The rendering up above seems to show the corner the current buildings are on.

Exactly right. The plans appear to be for the parcel adjacent to the Trammel Crow/Sam's parcel, and immediately at the Haskell/75 intersection.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 30 May 2017 10:03

Eataly would be great but the street-level plans for this development suck. Completely auto oriented and no connection to the Cityplace developments or surrounding neighborhood, pathetic sidewalks too. It would not be hard to tweak this though, and make it have a more pedestrian friendly and a more attractive street level presence. The very vocal neighborhood that defeated TC and Sam's should work with the developer on this issue. I'm sure they know more about this plan than we do at this point.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 30 May 2017 10:38

Matt777 wrote:Eataly would be great but the street-level plans for this development suck. Completely auto oriented and no connection to the Cityplace developments or surrounding neighborhood, pathetic sidewalks too. It would not be hard to tweak this though, and make it have a more pedestrian friendly and a more attractive street level presence. The very vocal neighborhood that defeated TC and Sam's should work with the developer on this issue. I'm sure they know more about this plan than we do at this point.

...and there is an existing shaft to the subway station. This property should not be developed without finishing the train station.

petecambell

Postby petecambell » 31 May 2017 21:41

Just for the record, I spoke with someone in Eataly Corporate development and they said below.

"While we are always looking for opportunities to open new Eatalys around the country and the world, we don’t currently have plans to open in Dallas at this time or in the foreseeable future. If there have been rumors, no one has talked to us about it. However, We’re flattered that you’d like to see an Eataly location in your area"

R1070

Postby R1070 » 31 May 2017 21:57

Didn't H&M, Trader Joe's and In-N-Out have similar responses to inquiries back in the day?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 02 Jun 2017 10:52

It would be odd and sort of bold for the developer to just randomly have drawings done with the name Eataly prominently displayed... But you're right, In-N-Out basically played the same game until someone on this board came across an agenda item for the Garland City Council which specifically had them listed. So who knows!

citygeek

Postby citygeek » 02 Jun 2017 10:56

Me
"To love ..(a).. city and to have a part in its advancement and improvement is the highest priority and duty of a citizen."
Daniel Burnham, 1909

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 02 Jun 2017 11:09

Kelley USA wrote:It would be odd and sort of bold for the developer to just randomly have drawings done with the name Eataly prominently displayed... But you're right, In-N-Out basically played the same game until someone on this board came across an agenda item for the Garland City Council which specifically had them listed. So who knows!

Not odd at all. Developers do that all the time.

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 14 Jun 2017 12:04

Wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but the Tower at Cityplace has continued with its renovation and has finally replaced the lighting on the outside of the building with LED lighting. No more eighties style light bulbs.

Last night was the first night they were all on. They were white, but I'm assuming they have the ability to change colors.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 14 Jun 2017 14:01

If only they would build out the midrise apartments and retail around the open base of Cityplace tower they had planned a few years back. East of 75 just can't seem to catch the density that is happening to the west.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 14 Jun 2017 15:15

Cbdallas wrote:If only they would build out the midrise apartments and retail around the open base of Cityplace tower they had planned a few years back. East of 75 just can't seem to catch the density that is happening to the west.

Yeah, I don't get the hold up. There is even a DART station which makes walking across 75 pretty feasible, which can't be said for a lot of the other highways. Not to mention even without the connectivity to Uptown, there is already a lot going on on the East Side to attract people.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 14 Jun 2017 15:56

DPatel304 wrote:....there is already a lot going on on the East Side to attract people.

What's funny is that I don't see anything of interest on the west side. I'm on the east side frequently at Target, Kroger and Whataburger. But the last place I recall visiting on the west side was some second-rate sushi place with a girlfriend I haven't seen in 5+ years.

Maybe it's because I'm in Deep Ellum and have superior alternatives in walking distance. But I can't think of anything in that area that's worth the five minute drive.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 14 Jun 2017 16:27

Dmkflyer wrote:Wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but the Tower at Cityplace has continued with its renovation and has finally replaced the lighting on the outside of the building with LED lighting. No more eighties style light bulbs.

Last night was the first night they were all on. They were white, but I'm assuming they have the ability to change colors.

How does it look? I was very fond of the eighties style lighting on the tower, as it matches the 80's postmodern/art deco architecture intended for the building. I also like the globe lights around the base of the tower, although they could use repair. Not every building has to have the generic 2010's LED look. I especially loved the way the old lights looked from certain vantage points near Turtle Creek/Avondale area. It looked majestic. Here are some photos of the old lighting from the web:

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 14 Jun 2017 22:46

I thought the new lighting looked great. It isn't one continuous line like on BoA, the LED strips are spaced a bit. They weren't on tonight when I drove by, so I'm guessing testing them has just started.

ebird

Postby ebird » 15 Jun 2017 20:17

One of the most significant development sites near Dallas' Uptown neighborhood has been sold to a local developer and investor who plans to build a mixed-use project.
The more than 10-acre Xerox property at the northeast corner of North Central Expressway and Haskell Avenue just north of downtown has been purchased by Dallas-based De La Vega Development, deed records confirm.
The new owner — which has retail and mixed-use properties in a half-dozen states — is working on designs for a retail, restaurant, hotel, office and residential complex on the property, which is adjacent to the Cityplace development.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2017/06/15/huge-mixed-use-project-planned-uptowns-door-old-xerox-site

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Jun 2017 17:08

Let's hope they can get their development off the ground. It will only make Trammell Crow look worse if this guy can get his mixed-use plans off the construction documents and under way. One of Trammell Crows biggest arguments was that mixed-use just wasn't going to work here that the market didn't welcome that potential...
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 29 Jun 2017 11:28

New LED lighting

By Me

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Jun 2017 13:09

It looks bright

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 29 Jun 2017 16:04

the new lighting looks good. now the owner/developer needs to deliver on the long awaited and the ever redesigned residential component. this area is primed and ready for that. in addition, the property manager needs to maintain the whole development better than it has been. the landscaping is suffering, the allee of trees are dying and not being replaced/pruned and the curbs and light post look tired and in need of maintenance. maybe they need to sell it off to someone who can actually pull off the project.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 29 Jun 2017 18:42

The new lighting is beautiful in person.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 30 Jun 2017 20:50

Not the best quality photo, but here's another view of the Cityplace Tower lights:

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 30 Jun 2017 21:44

Looks very clean, can't wait to see it.

willyk

Postby willyk » 03 Jul 2017 05:21

Plano is connecting Legacy West to Legacy Town Center by turning a Texas U-Turn lane over the Tollroad into an appealing pedestrian crossing. That would be a good thing to do here. The City would recoup the investment from the increase in property values on both sides of 75, plus all of the new investment that would come on the east side-- the ACS site and around the Cityplace tower.