Cityplace East: ACS/Xerox redevelopment (The Central)

kingpin

Re: Cityplace East: ACS/Xerox redevelopment (The Central)

Postby kingpin » 07 Jul 2022 10:42

ImageUntitled by rlopez2011, on Flickr

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 07 Jul 2022 13:31

^^^ I can’t wait for the park. I’m guessing Marquis is the tallest building?

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 13 Oct 2022 15:13

It appears construction is beginning on some part of thus development. We now have a construction trailer and additional vegetation/ trees are being removed.

In other news, the homeless and panhandling is bad in this area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 13 Oct 2022 15:37

^^^^ Cool. Good to see something happening there. Yes, homelessness is bad in that area. I’ve seen tents on Central and Haskell not too long ago. Idk if they’re still there. It seem to accelerate during the pandemic.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Oct 2022 16:53

By now, they could have grown a decent worth of urban farm food and fed the homeless. Then again, not all homeless want real food. They want junk that comes from a drive thru as much as anyone does.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 18 Oct 2022 12:04

DFW wrote:https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2022/10/18/construction-is-starting-on-first-phase-of-25-billion-central-project/?outputType=amp

The headline: "Construction is starting on first phase of $2.5 billion Central project"

A more tempered headline: "Construction is starting on single $100 million apartment tower"

Still glad to see this kick off, happy to see density growing outside of uptown.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 18 Oct 2022 12:59

An even more tempered (and accurate) headline:

“Site Being Cleared for 19-story Apartment Building; Construction Planned to Start Soon”

Steve’s semi-annual fluff piece raises more questions than it answers:

— what needed to be “cleared” from this site? Wasn’t the site cleared several years ago?
— how is this the first phase of The Central Development when the first apartment building is already leasing?
— earlier I believe we were told the project needed rezoning, I believe for the high-rises. Did they obtain that?
— do they have building permits? (It wouldn’t be the first time Steve told us construction had started on a building for which permits had not been issued).

LPG

Postby LPG » 18 Oct 2022 13:56

Tucy wrote:An even more tempered (and accurate) headline:

“Site Being Cleared for 19-story Apartment Building; Construction Planned to Start Soon”

— what needed to be “cleared” from this site? Wasn’t the site cleared several years ago?
— how is this the first phase of The Central Development when the first apartment building is already leasing?
— earlier I believe we were told the project needed rezoning, I believe for the high-rises. Did they obtain that?
— do they have building permits? (It wouldn’t be the first time Steve told us construction had started on a building for which permits had not been issued).

Tucy. You’re a smart dude; come on.

- Demolition of existing structures =/= final site prep.
- There are several components to ‘Phase 1’, per De La Vega. Not sure Steve is to blame for the multi-phase ‘Phase 1’ naming convention here - that would fall on De La Vega.
- CPC reviewed this a while back. Did you check the CPC website?
- https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Projects/TABS2022014633

Newspaper journalism is written for an assumed audience at the Flesch Kincaid grade level. You, a very consistent contributor on a online urban forum, posting data on occupancy rates and condo sales, are not the sole, intended audience of the DMN. I appreciate your insight and measured outlook on the realities of the development world in Dallas, but have a little grace with our boy Steve here. Just my two cents

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 18 Oct 2022 15:58

LPG wrote:
Tucy wrote:An even more tempered (and accurate) headline:

Tucy. You’re a smart dude; come on.

- Demolition of existing structures =/= final site prep.
- There are several components to ‘Phase 1’, per De La Vega. Not sure Steve is to blame for the multi-phase ‘Phase 1’ naming convention here - that would fall on De La Vega.
- CPC reviewed this a while back. Did you check the CPC website?
- https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Projects/TABS2022014633

Newspaper journalism is written for an assumed audience at the Flesch Kincaid grade level. You, a very consistent contributor on an online urban forum, posting data on occupancy rates and condo sales, are not the sole, intended audience of the DMN. I appreciate your insight and measured outlook on the realities of the development world in Dallas, but have a little grace with our boy Steve here. Just my two cents

(1) he didn’t say “final site prep”. He said “clearing the site”.
(2) so there are several components to phase one…. A writer interested in conveying accurate information would figure out how to present that accurately; it’s not difficult. It’s simply inaccurate as written.
(3) I spent a little time on the CPC site but couldn’t find anything. I lacked information to do a good search.
(4) thanks for the TDLR link. I presume you know that is not a building permit.

To me, the fact the target audience is ill-informed makes accuracy all the more important.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 18 Oct 2022 16:03

With the project’s address as stated in the TDLR permit, I was able to do a search for building permits for this project. It appears they haven’t even applied for permits yet.

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 18 Oct 2022 17:00

I live at these apartments that went up a while ago. I’m Awful at posting pictures on here.

They are clearly working on the apartment project and cleaning the land now. But they also cleared off the land where one of the office building are supposed to go along the access road or the highway. They have the area fenced off with two office trailers on the land. This spot has actually been more active than where the apartment structure is supposed to go.

If I knew how to upload photos from my phone on here then I’d have a few to share.

mhainli

Postby mhainli » 19 Oct 2022 06:35

kingkong34 wrote:I live at these apartments that went up a while ago. I’m Awful at posting pictures on here.

They are clearly working on the apartment project and cleaning the land now. But they also cleared off the land where one of the office building are supposed to go along the access road or the highway. They have the area fenced off with two office trailers on the land. This spot has actually been more active than where the apartment structure is supposed to go.

If I knew how to upload photos from my phone on here then I’d have a few to share.

Just learned how to upload photos:

1) Hit the reply quotes to start reply
2) scroll down and tap “Attachments”
3) then “Add files”
4) then “Photo Library” then go from there…

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 19 Oct 2022 07:43

BDA197A5-66DE-4C8E-92E2-D2B15BEBB2BB.jpeg
1225F8E6-39E0-4F36-A912-F15AA4ABACB5.jpeg
939F730B-EA6E-4120-8A4A-BABF41605117.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 19 Oct 2022 07:45

7C6E93F9-B7F6-4494-8416-8F0BB24222D1.jpeg
2EBB3BB1-DE9E-4426-9F69-C37193A83A81.jpeg

I took these as well.

First picture is the fenced off one where the office building is supposed to go. Second pic is where the apartment structure is to go.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 19 Oct 2022 09:14

There was supposed to be a 250k sq ft office and 185 room hotel in the first phase as well. I wonder if that will go up along with the apt tower.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 26 Oct 2022 14:55

If all these projects in & near Uptown come to be, NCX will be lined with towers for several miles as you travel north from DT.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Oct 2022 16:06

Hmm, they have an announced opening time period for the residential tower, but the office tower sounds like they aren't really starting it even though they suggest that they are.

Sounds like double-speak to me, aka yes we are moving dirt around, but really we are still waiting for someone to sign on as an office tenant before we will actually start office tower construction. If he does actually have the money to build an office tower on spec, I imagine he will get tenants as the building completes.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 26 Oct 2022 17:03

LongonBigD wrote:If all these projects in & near Uptown come to be, NCX will be lined with towers for several miles as you travel north from DT.

I wonder if it's possible to build some towers on the land surrounding Cityplace. It would be cool to see a cluster of towers in this immediate area

R1070

Postby R1070 » 26 Oct 2022 19:51

potatocoins wrote:
LongonBigD wrote:If all these projects in & near Uptown come to be, NCX will be lined with towers for several miles as you travel north from DT.

I wonder if it's possible to build some towers on the land surrounding Cityplace. It would be cool to see a cluster of towers in this immediate area

Mid-rise buildings were planned for that area. Not sure why they never took off.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 27 Oct 2022 20:33

An update from Steve Brown:
Japan-based developer partners on new Dallas apartment high-rise
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... high-rise/

Japan’s largest real estate development firm is partnering with a Dallas builder on the first phase of the $2.5 billion The Central project under construction near downtown. Toyko-based Mitsui Fudosan Co.’s American subsidiary is teaming up with Dallas’ StreetLights Residential to build the residential high-rise at the northeast corner of U.S. Highway 75 and Haskell Avenue. Called The Oliver, the 351-unit, 19-story apartment tower is part of a 27-acre mixed-use development by De La Vega Development.

Mitsui Fudosan America is also a partner in the Maple Terrace apartment tower under construction in Dallas’ Uptown district.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 28 Oct 2022 09:36

Getting outside developers involved makes me bullish on this actually starting.

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 28 Oct 2022 09:38

What I've noticed is that they have started. They've been moving dirt and digging a large hole for about two weeks now.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Oct 2022 17:13

Yeah, I think the only thing that's up in the air here is the office tower component. This investor appears only to be involved in the Streetlights tower residential. I don't doubt that will happen I doubt the office part of the announces "phase 1"

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 28 Oct 2022 17:58

I was thinking the same thing. The apt tower(s) might be a go, but the office and hotel parts could stall. Fingers crossed the success of the initial builds spills over. If not all those apt dwellers will have the largest dog park in the city. They could roll back out the inflatable drive-in screen too!

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 28 Oct 2022 22:34

According to this recent news clip, the development is suppose to be competed in 8 years with the first restaurant opening at the end of 2024. We’ll see if that pans out….

https://youtu.be/JuR82lIqFy8

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 30 Oct 2022 13:39

Here is a couple of the pics from that DMN story on the addition of the Japanese investor for the 19-story apt tower.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... high-rise/

So this tower looks to be located south of the new mid-rise apt bldg based on this site map. Is this where the big hole mentioned by kingkong34 is being dug?I think that is Peak St extended into the development in the first rendering provided by Streetlights. That rendering implies much lower height buildings on Haskell—phase I than the initial concept, which is probably more realistic.

Retail included in this tower. Kinda an odd spot for retail unless it’s one of the restaurant spots on the park noted. To be named The Oliver, odd choice considering there is Oliver St on the opposite side of the freeway about 4 blocks away. No matter, those names usually end up being changed anyway upon leaseup/sale.

Urban Toreador

Postby Urban Toreador » 30 Oct 2022 14:44

They'll have a nice view directly into their neighbor's unit.....

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 30 Oct 2022 15:02

Is the park and the new residential tower going to be built at the same time? Or is is suppose to be built later?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 30 Oct 2022 15:07

Urban Toreador wrote:They'll have a nice view directly into their neighbor's unit.....

We’ve seen Streetlights do this before. They like the “U” shaped tower. Think of their projects The Taylor (looks a lot like this one) and The Case Building.

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 31 Oct 2022 11:47

This looks like the Case Building in deep Ellum.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 31 Oct 2022 12:31

dallaz wrote:Is the park and the new residential tower going to be built at the same time? Or is is suppose to be built later?

The only thing they are building is the residential tower. The rest appears to be just left out of the interviews with the developer. I am sure a reporter asked about the park and the office and hotel components shown in the above Phase 1 diagram, but I am sure the developer just said they hope to break ground soon, blah blah, etc. The usual non-answer answers that come from developers promising to build everything but rarely build much of anything in their fantasy renderings.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 31 Oct 2022 12:57

Streetlights has a rinse and repeat program down for properties around 20 stories that they have used here in Dallas beginning with the Taylor a little over a decade ago (since then they've built the Jordan, Hamilton, Christopher, McKenzie, Case, etc). This is another opportunity for them to work in their sweet spot, while touting that it is part of a larger development to their future tenants, regardless of whatever pace the developer goes for the rest of the development. A win for Streetlights, but we'll see what happens with the rest of this.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 01 Nov 2022 07:00

Now plenty of room for the Richard in downtown Richardson, the Charles in downtown Carrollton, the Arlene in downtown Arlington and the Celine in downtown Celina!

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 01 Nov 2022 09:09

Now plenty of room for the Richard in downtown Richardson

If I am working on a project, and am at a public meeting where any multi-family in Richardson is being presented, I'm going to request they name it this. It's necessary.

willyk

Postby willyk » 02 Nov 2022 04:50

The_Overdog wrote:

If I am working on a project, and am at a public meeting where any multi-family in Richardson is being presented, I'm going to request they name it this. It's necessary.

Does anybody even call it “Central Expressway” anymore? The developer gets credit for a name that preserves what little historical context we have there.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 02 Nov 2022 18:47

willyk wrote:
The_Overdog wrote:

Does anybody even call it “Central Expressway” anymore? The developer gets credit for a name that preserves what little historical context we have there.

I do. lol

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 02 Nov 2022 20:28

willyk wrote:
The_Overdog wrote:

Most people who grew up here call it Central or Central Expressway. We laughingly called it Central Distressway in the old days before it was widened.

turtlecreek

Postby turtlecreek » 03 Nov 2022 13:23

willyk wrote:
The_Overdog wrote:

I just moved here and I call it the North Central Expressway.

eburress

Postby eburress » 03 Nov 2022 13:48

Central or Central Expressway...and sometimes just '75'...is all I hear or say. What else would people call it?

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 03 Nov 2022 14:20

To those of us who have lived in Dallas for most of our lives we call it and always will Central Expressway.

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 01 Dec 2022 15:48

Crane base is in. A lot of rebar on the site. Should start to see this go vertical next week.
79F6F0B9-4835-4D86-B66D-9819601A0EF5.jpeg
1CA0C805-EF03-45AC-9882-915A906ECB6C.jpeg
615BDABA-5005-4C35-8206-93C57C75E0BB.jpeg

wbarch

Postby wbarch » 20 Dec 2022 10:36

I saw two tower crane bases in yesterday.

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 20 Dec 2022 15:06

wbarch wrote:I saw two tower crane bases in yesterday.

Yes, there is another crane base.

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 30 Dec 2022 22:37

10C831C6-0049-4103-93CA-28545033B65D.jpeg
55565E09-BAE1-4457-BF78-876A6A6538D1.jpeg

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 30 Dec 2022 23:07

^^^ Thanks for the pics! They already have columns going up. I guess there’s no need to go below ground.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Jan 2023 09:13

Oh wow and the base for the crane. Okay, I now believe this one will make it. lol

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 15 May 2023 18:22

I believe this development is now called “The Central in East Village”

https://discoverthecentral.com/

Updated renderings of the park and phase two

IMG_4603.png

IMG_4608.png

IMG_4602.jpeg

IMG_4607.png
IMG_4605.jpeg
IMG_4604.jpeg
IMG_4606.jpeg

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 15 May 2023 19:46

99,000 square foot fitness center in phase 2.... maybe a new Lifetime Fitness? Maybe this is their gym/apartment tower combo that Lifetime originally planned for the International District at Midtown at Old Valley View Beckland.