Cityplace East: ACS/Xerox redevelopment (The Central)

eburress

Re: Cityplace East: ACS/Xerox redevelopment

Postby eburress » 06 Aug 2019 19:18

It's not the only factor but the NIMBYism east of Central doesn't help. There has been opposition to most projects, even ones that seem like no-brainers like Henderson Avenue's reconstruction.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 06 Aug 2019 19:25

jwhughes wrote: -- increasing land and taxable value for the city, providing momentum to the area surrounding 75 and allowing for the success of West Village to flow into the underdeveloped east side, while opening up more land for development adjacent to one of the most successful walkable/mixed use developments in Dallas.

Not to mention increasing the attractiveness of DART ridership and the likelihood that people would want to enter the area from the subway, do things west of Central Expressway and return to the subway at the end of their evening out.

Urbandreamer

Postby Urbandreamer » 06 Sep 2019 22:22

New construction fence up around the perimeter of the buildings - signs posted all around indicating an imminent demo...

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 06 Sep 2019 22:44

wow! could this be a stealth development that rocks our socks?!?!?

Mr. Amsterdam

Postby Mr. Amsterdam » 07 Sep 2019 04:18

NdoorTX wrote:wow! could this be a stealth development that rocks our socks?!?!?

Well, Texans do love their surface parking lots. ;)
1999 - 2017

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Sep 2019 10:41

They also love their massive gas stations Buc-ee's Downtownish...
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 07 Sep 2019 17:36

Mr. Amsterdam wrote:
NdoorTX wrote:wow! could this be a stealth development that rocks our socks?!?!?

Is this the De la Vega site, TC or something else?

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 07 Sep 2019 19:53

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Mr. Amsterdam wrote:

Is this the De la Vega site, TC or something else?

It' the De la Vega site. It had been surrounded by fence with the gates wide open near the building entrance. Now it's padlocked tight and seems to have on on-site guard. There is also Lindamood Demo signs stating that the site is off limits and being prepped for demo. Something is moving forward.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Sep 2019 11:34

I think it's safe to say the Central Business District has been saved and is on track as a concentrated, thriving combination of residential, commercial, retail and office locations. With retail and residential taking a strong place in the CBD now, it only makes sense for real estate along the transportation corridors to/from the CBD become mixed use extensions of the core city.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Sep 2019 13:14

Tearing down was expected but would they spend the money to tear down even if they had no lead tenants signed up? I mean who would want to sign on here if they knew they would have to wait on tear down, clearing the site and building lots of brand new infrastructure. Could be an expenditure just to improve tenant sign-on options. Most big office tenants still looking want to move in soon not wait on a whole bunch of pre-work.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Sep 2019 14:10

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Tearing down was expected but would they spend the money to tear down even if they had no lead tenants signed up? I mean who would want to sign on here if they knew they would have to wait on tear down, clearing the site and building lots of brand new infrastructure. Could be an expenditure just to improve tenant sign-on options. Most big office tenants still looking want to move in soon not wait on a whole bunch of pre-work.

Did The Epic begin construction without a lead tenant signed up?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Sep 2019 19:22

DPatel304 wrote:
Did The Epic begin construction without a lead tenant signed up?

I believe so.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Sep 2019 09:25

If so, that might encourage some of these other developments to get started without a lead tenant as well.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Sep 2019 09:45

It's about financing Epic was one of the very few that took the gamble and apparently had the money to bet. Look at the rest of Dallas development nothing is being built without a lead tenant and banks are not signing on the dotted line for construction loans on a sugar plum fairy dreams. Delavega seems like an unproven developer in a project of this size so I doubt many banks will grant him the funds on just the fact he has a prime location.

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 09 Sep 2019 10:29

cowboyeagle05 wrote:It's about financing Epic was one of the very few that took the gamble and apparently had the money to bet. Look at the rest of Dallas development nothing is being built without a lead tenant and banks are not signing on the dotted line for construction loans on a sugar plum fairy dreams. Delavega seems like an unproven developer in a project of this size so I doubt many banks will grant him the funds on just the fact he has a prime location.

I believe the Union, 1900 Pearl and Park District were also started without a lead tenant announced, though I may be mistaken.

I don't think securing financing from banks is as big a problem as perceived. It may be a convenient excuse for developers to blame those nameless and faceless banks for not starting certain developments as the drop of a hat.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Sep 2019 11:03

They had them they weren't announced yet.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 11 Sep 2019 15:08

This can be nothing but a good thing.... De La Vega purchases the property from TC! DLV now controls about 25 acres in this area. Although I'm not sure what my confidence level is in DLV seeing as they've never taken on a project of this size and scope before.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... e-project/

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 11 Sep 2019 15:24

This is big news! I hoped and it was reported that the Sam's deal was dead, but there was always a doubt in the back of my mind that TC would trot out a similar dead horse to whip called Big Box Retailer X.

I noticed the story mentioned that the plot was purchased by a partnership which includes DelaVega. Perhaps this "partner" can lend some real estate development heft and ease the minds of those worried about their ability to pull this off.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Sep 2019 18:36

God Bless East Village Homeowners Association

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 12 Sep 2019 13:24

Kelley USA wrote:This can be nothing but a good thing.... De La Vega purchases the property from TC! DLV now controls about 25 acres in this area. Although I'm not sure what my confidence level is in DLV seeing as they've never taken on a project of this size and scope before.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... e-project/

Woohoo! This site isn't in the clear yet, but this is very promising. At least that nasty concrete paradise that TC proposed will not see the light of day. I was at one of the first community meetings years ago when they first lied and then proposed their turd, and the TC reps could not have been more dismissive and pig headed. I hope they learned a very hard lesson.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 16 Sep 2019 12:20

Developers seek zoning for high-rise complex on North Central Expressway

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... xpressway/

DeLaVega is wants to amend the existing zoning "to allow for the redevelopment of the subject site into a high density mixed-use project," according to the filing with the city.

The changes would "allow for the development of a mix-use development including office, multifamily, hotel and retail uses."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 16 Sep 2019 12:32

They sure sound like they are serious about this but why do I have doubts they can pull this off? Seems very ambitious.

eburress

Postby eburress » 16 Sep 2019 12:51

I completely agree about them seeming serious and you're not the only one with doubts. On the bright side, the doubts many of us probably have are setting what will hopefully be easily exceeded expectations! :D

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Sep 2019 13:46

At the bottom of the article a very important quote from the developer...

Preliminary plans, which the developer says are outdated, show a high-rise complex of commercial and residential buildings with retail space planned for the high-profile corner.

willyk

Postby willyk » 16 Sep 2019 22:59

Consolidate the land, do the abatement, get the entitlements, then JV or sell.

eburress

Postby eburress » 17 Sep 2019 10:29

That's certainly a possibility, though it does seem like a lot of work and expense just to do a flip.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 24 Oct 2019 14:11

Local developer joins Old East Dallas mixed-use project

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... s_headline

Irving-based developer JPI has joined the development team for The Central, a 3 million-square-foot mixed-use project off North Central Expressway in Old East Dallas, according to a document submitted to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

The apartment developer is planning Jefferson at Central, a five-story, 430-unit complex with a seven-story parking garage, according to the document.

Designed by WDG Architecture, the project could cost upwards of $56 million. When reached, a spokesperson for JPI said details about the project are still being determined.

If plans come to life, the apartment complex would be part of the larger mixed-use development being led by locally based De La Vega Development.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 Oct 2019 14:19

7 story garage with 5 story apartment building. Lol this the architectural equivalent of all hat no cattle.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 24 Oct 2019 15:30

The parking garage (7 stories) must be in anticipation of the mixed use element. Here’s hoping!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Oct 2019 16:11

Also could be two stories underground.

Interesting development in the story of this project. He is obviously making deals to get some parts developed faster. We could end up with something like an apartment building maybe a freestanding hotel built with minimal roads while he waits to sign on office tenants for the more signature elements. If they have that many details about a JPI property my guess is De La Vega has a more updated site plan for the Xerox property while he is probably still planning details for the larger site around his initial purchase.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 25 Oct 2019 14:01

I've seen the equity package for that JPI deal. It's a typical wrap apartment project starting on the northeast corner of the parcel on Carroll that was acquired from Trammel Crow and stretching south along the eastern property boundary. Initial plan is/was 430 units on 5 acres. Zero percent chance of anything below grade and 100% chance that this forum will lament the boring (aka financially feasible) design.

dzh

Postby dzh » 25 Oct 2019 14:26

CRE_Investor wrote:I've seen the equity package for that JPI deal. It's a typical wrap apartment project starting on the northeast corner of the parcel on Carroll that was acquired from Trammel Crow and stretching south along the eastern property boundary. Initial plan is/was 430 units on 5 acres. Zero percent chance of anything below grade and 100% chance that this forum will lament the boring (aka financially feasible) design.

Well it's better than Sam's club, I guess. Whose in charge of rallying against this one to ask for something mixed-use?

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 25 Oct 2019 14:43

As someone that lives in Las Colinas where JPI is not only headquartered, but where they have built 12 properties. I can tell you that their designs are crap and lack any originality. They've basically ruined the Las Colinas Urban Center with plot after plot of boring designs. They're entire model is basically to use the same footprints, change the exterior slightly, lease the property up and sell it off. I will say that they do a decent job with interiors and landscaping, but that's about it.

CRE_Investor

Postby CRE_Investor » 25 Oct 2019 15:39

dzh wrote:Well it's better than Sam's club, I guess. Whose in charge of rallying against this one to ask for something mixed-use?

It's going to be one part of a mixed use development. The master developer (De La Vega for now) is selling off this parcel to another developer who specializes in the easiest thing to get financed and built to kick off the overall project. Ground floor retail below a stick apartment building would absolutely never work in this location on a standalone basis so the mixed use component is going to have to come from the future development of the remainder of the site. That said, I wouldn't hold your breath regarding timing of the rest of the project actually happening soon.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 26 Oct 2019 14:37

I feel that this will end up being nothing like the original rendering but much closer to the JPI wrap around plan.

TreeFrog

Postby TreeFrog » 12 Dec 2019 20:40

New Development Adding 430 Apartments in Uptown
JPI is expanding its presence in the market with Jefferson Central in Uptown

https://www.dmagazine.com/commercial-real-estate/2019/12/new-development-to-bring-430-apartment-homes-to-uptown/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Dec 2019 20:58

Very underwhelming development for the area. I realize the east side doesn't have the demand that the Uptown side does, but I hate to see prime real estate used on developments such as this.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Dec 2019 22:58

DPatel304 wrote:Very underwhelming development for the area. I realize the east side doesn't have the demand that the Uptown side does, but I hate to see prime real estate used on developments such as this.

I mean.... I don't hate it.. there's no business putting a large apartment tower right now.. but would start to like seeing 8 -10 story mid rises go up more.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Dec 2019 11:40

You have to keep in mind we are talking acres of land here almost as big as the West Village when it started and selling off a small portion to build in-demand units is a worthwhile cause. This won't even be at the main corner of the property the developer is proposing all those high rises. This is on the former shopping center land and along with similar apartments on the edge of the site. It makes sense to me cause the alternative was a suburban shopping center with Sam's Club and drive-thrus.

KRG

Postby KRG » 14 Dec 2019 14:37

cowboyeagle05 wrote:You have to keep in mind we are talking acres of land here almost as big as the West Village when it started and selling off a small portion to build in-demand units is a worthwhile cause. This won't even be at the main corner of the property the developer is proposing all those high rises. This is on the former shopping center land and along with similar apartments on the edge of the site. It makes sense to me cause the alternative was a suburban shopping center with Sam's Club and drive-thrus.

I agree. I think this is a reasonably nice project for that corner and should kick start more development. I don't think people realize this is going nowhere near the 75 side of this plot. This type of development will do well tying the future taller mixed used stuff into the surrounding neighborhoods.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Jan 2020 10:09

High-rise north of downtown Dallas will be imploded
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -imploded/

The former Affiliated Computer Services building at North Central Expressway and Haskell Avenue will be imploded next month by owner De La Vega Development.

The 11-story building is on the site of De La Vega’s planned mixed-use development along the east side of North Central.

The Feb. 16 implosion is set for daybreak.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 22 Jan 2020 13:24

I wish them much success. I would love to see this entire area massively redeveloped with high rises and living density all around the DART subway station there. So much potential.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 22 Jan 2020 15:08

Cbdallas wrote:I wish them much success. I would love to see this entire area massively redeveloped with high rises and living density all around the DART subway station there. So much potential.

I do have some fear that the only high rise here will be imploded and replaced with apartment wrapped garages.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 22 Jan 2020 16:34

For most of this land, I would take residential over office every time.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Jan 2020 10:34

As much as I want it to be a signature development I def prefer some apartments over a Sams Club and various drive-thrus or the worst-case scenario which is leaving it as mostly parking lots as it is now.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 14 Feb 2020 10:01

New website and a new rendering released today (or I've never seen this rendering before)…

https://discoverthecentral.com/

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Feb 2020 10:06

Kelley USA wrote:New website and a new rendering released today (or I've never seen this rendering before)…

https://discoverthecentral.com/

Nice find! This actually looks really nice if.....it actually comes to pass.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 14 Feb 2020 10:52

It reminds me a little bit of the Midtown project... Loving the park in the middle!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Feb 2020 11:00

The-Central-Rendering.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.