Page 1 of 1

East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 09 Nov 2016 23:11
by Tnexster
This is an older topic again but has some new developments.

Kroger plans new store and urban apartments on the eastern edge of downtown Dallas

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... own-dallas

A new Kroger supermarket on the edge of Dallas' Arts District will offer more than groceries.

The supermarket chain plans for its new store to be part of a mixed-use development that includes hundreds of new apartments.

Kroger last year purchased a block of land on Hall Street between Ross Avenue and North Central Expressway. It's just across the highway from downtown and in an area that's seeing rapid redevelopment.

Early this year Kroger filed plans with the City of Dallas to build just a supermarket and surface parking on the site.

But now the grocery giant has teamed up with a local apartment builder and wants to include 375 apartments with the project.

The development designed by Dallas architect GFF would have four stories of rental units on top of a 2-level Kroger store, plans for the project show.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 10 Nov 2016 02:30
by ContriveDallasite
Now when we get a West Dallas: Kroger we will know we have finally hit a turning point.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 10 Nov 2016 04:08
by willyk
Will the Kroger front 75? I can't tell if their parcel gets all of the way there.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 10 Nov 2016 08:56
by muncien
Wow... This is fantastic news for the area. Very impressed.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 10 Nov 2016 20:57
by Dmkflyer
This may be very good news for the redevelopment of the Kroger on Cedar Springs in Oak Lawn

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 10 Nov 2016 21:04
by DPatel304
Dmkflyer wrote:This may be very good news for the redevelopment of the Kroger on Cedar Springs in Oak Lawn


Great point. This needs to happen for the Oak Lawn location as well.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 08 Dec 2016 11:41
by cowboyeagle05
Well last reported just this week there is a legality problem with the library property being sold to the Kroger. Not to mention no one at the meetings wanted the suburban store so lets hope they have found a partner maybe the same one for the Hall street store and will work with the city to get the property acquired and a new store developed. Another problem was that Kroger wanted to keep the store running and people employed during the redo. This way you could at least move some people over once this store is opened and start work replacing the Oak Lawn location.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 08 Dec 2016 12:44
by Tivo_Kenevil
^ i think the kroger with the library was the oak lawn location not east Dallas .. wrong thread

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 09 Dec 2016 14:25
by cowboyeagle05
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:^ i think the kroger with the library was the oak lawn location not east Dallas .. wrong thread


It is but the one on Hall has an influence on the project on Oak Lawn that is the only reason I brought it up. Kroger going urban on the new Hall location is a big deal cause that's what Oak Lawn wants and was very clear about it.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 09 Dec 2016 16:25
by Tivo_Kenevil
cowboyeagle05 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:^ i think the kroger with the library was the oak lawn location not east Dallas .. wrong thread


It is but the one on Hall has an influence on the project on Oak Lawn that is the only reason I brought it up. Kroger going urban on the new Hall location is a big deal cause that's what Oak Lawn wants and was very clear about it.



Ok I get you. Misread.

Now I certainly do hope Kroger goes back to the drawing board on this. Hopefully they can find a developer who can help them get a mixed facility there.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 11 Feb 2020 13:48
by Hannibal Lecter
It's time to resurrect this thread.

New apartment and grocery project in the works on eastern edge of downtown Dallas

An Atlanta developer is working on plans for a new mixed-use project on the eastern edge of downtown Dallas that will include apartments and a supermarket.

Southeastern Development has filed plans for the proposed development that would be built on the one-block site on Hall Street between Ross Avenue and North Central Expressway.

It's just across the highway from downtown Dallas’ Arts District.

Kroger in 2015 bought the property with plans to build a new store plus rental units.

But nothing much has happened to the property since then.

Now Southeastern Development has filed plans with the State of Texas for a $60 million development that will include 375 apartments, an 85,178-square-foot grocery store and a 779-car parking garage.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... wn-dallas/

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 11 Feb 2020 14:02
by lakewoodhobo
Kinda shocked that this is moving forward after Tom Thumb staked their claim. We keep hearing about the terrible margins in the grocery business, but here comes Kroger wanting to compete for even smaller crumbs in a crowded area.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 11 Feb 2020 14:29
by malachi896
lakewoodhobo wrote:Kinda shocked that this is moving forward after Tom Thumb staked their claim. We keep hearing about the terrible margins in the grocery business, but here comes Kroger wanting to compete for even smaller crumbs in a crowded area.


Especially with the Kroger Fresh Fare at Cityplace literally half a mile from there.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 11 Feb 2020 14:45
by DPatel304
malachi896 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:Kinda shocked that this is moving forward after Tom Thumb staked their claim. We keep hearing about the terrible margins in the grocery business, but here comes Kroger wanting to compete for even smaller crumbs in a crowded area.


Especially with the Kroger Fresh Fare at Cityplace literally half a mile from there.


Yeah, that's what is most surprising to me. I'm assuming they know what they are doing, so if urban Dallas can support all these grocery stores so close to each other, then I'm all for it.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 11 Feb 2020 14:58
by R1070
Trader Joe’s would be a better fit here or move the Walmart grocery across the freeway.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 11 Feb 2020 15:00
by cowboyeagle05
Well, what I am curious about is will this finally teach Kroger how to operate more density-driven store locations. Certainly, the Oak Lawn store should be something similar but Kroger corporate was afraid to lose market share to while the current suburban store shut down. The Cityplace one seems so odd with urban apartments to one side attached and a suburban store that often runs out of parking. An urban store at the City Place location could have had more parking for the store and apartment guests. Just seems that corporate has tried to avoid the reality they will need to compete in denser areas to stay alive. Why they are doing it so close to City Place location I will never know.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 11 Feb 2020 15:03
by cowboyeagle05
R1070 wrote:Trader Joe’s would be a better fit here or move the Walmart grocery across the freeway.


While not terrible ideas the problem is Kroger bought the land with plans for a traditional style suburban store even submitting plans to the city. Then radio silence after Starbucks built, then they announced they would instead pursue a mixed-use store with residential sharing the site. The developer is a Kroger store developer so for any other store flag Kroger would have to sell and probably another developer brought online.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 12 Feb 2020 11:21
by Thymant
Does anyone on here actually shop at these grocery stores in this area? Because from personal experience I find that if you don't make it into the store by around 5-6pm on a week day to any of the central Dallas Kroger or Tom-Thumbs, the produce and meats are pretty depleted along with lower stock on all the main aisles as well. And forget about conveniently finding a basket during this time. Again this is just from personal experience, I think this project is a little overdue at this point. Plus every grocer they build near downtown is small, they do not carry as much product as there larger outer suburban counterparts. Its a similar situation for all of the gyms around downtown as well, they are busy or just packed every hour of the day unless you go in the middle of the night but still won't be alone.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 12 Feb 2020 12:20
by Tivo_Kenevil
Thymant wrote:Does anyone on here actually shop at these grocery stores in this area? Because from personal experience I find that if you don't make it into the store by around 5-6pm on a week day to any of the central Dallas Kroger or Tom-Thumbs, the produce and meats are pretty depleted along with lower stock on all the main aisles as well. And forget about conveniently finding a basket during this time. Again this is just from personal experience, I think this project is a little overdue at this point. Plus every grocer they build near downtown is small, they do not carry as much product as there larger outer suburban counterparts. Its a similar situation for all of the gyms around downtown as well, they are busy or just packed every hour of the day unless you go in the middle of the night but still won't be alone.


I stopped going to the Kroger's in the core. They lack quality.

The Tom Thumb is in VP I like a lot. I go during the day tho.. before 5. Awesome store and great location. Now if Central Market could just build their uptown and oak Cliff locales!

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 12 Feb 2020 12:24
by emmasensei
Parking at the Cityplace Kroger is always, always, always a crowded nightmare. I feel like East Dallas is overwhelmed by grocery stores, and yet. Apparently there's demand for a lackluster grocery experience.

Also, there always seem to be at least two firetrucks parked there with their lights flashing, which totally screws up the traffic flow. Apparently the store catches on fire at least once a week? Baffling.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 13 Feb 2020 04:37
by PonyUp13
Parking in that Kroger is always a nightmare. The trick on the weekend is just to park in BoA's parking lot

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 15 Feb 2020 01:49
by TreeFrog
I live close to the Cityplace Kroger and was very happy when it opened. I also was impressed with their organic and quality selection. It seemed almost like a more affordable version of Whole Foods somewhat.

It seemed they really made the store more generic in terms of options not long after it opened. I know I started to feel more and more disappointed as time went on.

Of course these days I rarely step foot in a grocery store. While premium, delivery options are just too convenient and more appealing than pushing a cart around a crowded store and going through the whole checkout process. Not to mention I shop smarter with less impulse purchases. I understand the appeal of shopping in a grocery store being a foodie but I can honestly say I rarely miss that experience these days.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 01 Jun 2020 09:13
by Zmitz
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ger-store/

Plans presented to the city of Dallas show a five-story building with a Kroger store and parking on the lower floors.
The more than $60 million development will include the 85,000-square-foot Kroger grocery store plus 375 apartments. There is an almost 800-car garage.


Image

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 01 Jun 2020 10:04
by cowboyeagle05
Good to finally see this progress. You can tell they struggled on the exterior since they don't have a large parking lot out front it's hard to tell from renderings whats truly the "front' of the store. The traffic of grocery activity will be in the parking garage but the street entrances for the store on the ground level are quite demure. Since Kroger doesn't do these kinds of developments it's an interesting first try.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 01 Jun 2020 11:07
by Tucy
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Good to finally see this progress. You can tell they struggled on the exterior since they don't have a large parking lot out front it's hard to tell from renderings whats truly the "front' of the store. The traffic of grocery activity will be in the parking garage but the street entrances for the store on the ground level are quite demure. Since Kroger doesn't do these kinds of developments it's an interesting first try.


FWIW, this is not Kroger's first try at this kind of development. They've done a number of them in various cities around the country.


But, speaking of street entrance; Is there one? Which side of the building is it on? (The door on the corner in the rendering above appears to be nothing more than an emergency exit.)

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 01 Jun 2020 11:16
by cowboyeagle05
Tucy wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Good to finally see this progress. You can tell they struggled on the exterior since they don't have a large parking lot out front it's hard to tell from renderings whats truly the "front' of the store. The traffic of grocery activity will be in the parking garage but the street entrances for the store on the ground level are quite demure. Since Kroger doesn't do these kinds of developments it's an interesting first try.


FWIW, this is not Kroger's first try at this kind of development. They've done a number of them in various cities around the country.


But, speaking of street entrance; Is there one? Which side of the building is it on? (The door on the corner in the rendering above appears to be nothing more than an emergency exit.)


Sorry I mean here in Dallas where I haven't seen them make any desire to build such development. Urban Krogers is not really something the company likes doing. Talk to them about the Cedar Springs Rd store and they talk like no one has ever built a grocery store in a mixed-use property. I'm sure someone in the company gets it but you can tell if they can build a more traditional store why bother complicating things with a parking garage and apartments.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 01 Jun 2020 13:24
by homeworld1031tx
This is 3500 feet from the city place Krogers, and just 1500 feet from the neighborhood wal-mart - why are they bothering to build one so close? I feel like grocery stores in uptown are actually being overbuilt at the moment. new tom thumbs at the union, the gables mckinney, the planned central market on the former albertsons site, and now this... quite a few large grocers for an area that really isn't that populated.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 01 Jun 2020 13:28
by R1070
Now they need something urban with residential for the cedar springs property.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 01 Jun 2020 13:42
by Tucy
homeworld1031tx wrote:This is 3500 feet from the city place Krogers, and just 1500 feet from the neighborhood wal-mart - why are they bothering to build one so close? I feel like grocery stores in uptown are actually being overbuilt at the moment. new tom thumbs at the union, the gables mckinney, the planned central market on the former albertsons site, and now this... quite a few large grocers for an area that really isn't that populated.


Not to mention the new Tom Thumb. I would not be surprised if this replaces the (smaller) Kroger at City Place.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 01 Jun 2020 15:33
by Jbarn
Tucy wrote:
homeworld1031tx wrote:This is 3500 feet from the city place Krogers, and just 1500 feet from the neighborhood wal-mart - why are they bothering to build one so close? I feel like grocery stores in uptown are actually being overbuilt at the moment. new tom thumbs at the union, the gables mckinney, the planned central market on the former albertsons site, and now this... quite a few large grocers for an area that really isn't that populated.


Not to mention the new Tom Thumb. I would not be surprised if this replaces the (smaller) Kroger at City Place.


We can probably scratch central market off the pending list I think. If they couldn’t get the thing started in this last development cycle, I doubt it will ever get done. I know it’s a big project, but the fact that the never ever Drever is actually almost finished, yet the central market site hasn’t had one shovel of dirt turned I believe spells doom for this project.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 09:37
by Bategeler
Jbarn wrote:
We can probably scratch central market off the pending list I think. If they couldn’t get the thing started in this last development cycle, I doubt it will ever get done. I know it’s a big project, but the fact that the never ever Drever is actually almost finished, yet the central market site hasn’t had one shovel of dirt turned I believe spells doom for this project.


I wouldn't count them out yet. Central Market is notoriously picky and this is the first time they have attempted to build a mixuse urban store. Plus they had to get rezoning approval from the city which can be a long process.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 13:33
by Jbarn
Bategeler wrote:
Jbarn wrote:
We can probably scratch central market off the pending list I think. If they couldn’t get the thing started in this last development cycle, I doubt it will ever get done. I know it’s a big project, but the fact that the never ever Drever is actually almost finished, yet the central market site hasn’t had one shovel of dirt turned I believe spells doom for this project.


I wouldn't count them out yet. Central Market is notoriously picky and this is the first time they have attempted to build a mixuse urban store. Plus they had to get rezoning approval from the city which can be a long process.


They announced this over two years ago though, and they have had zoning approval for over a year. You would think there would be even the slightest bit of activity at this spot, but it looks the same as it did two or more years ago. Something is up with this.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 13:37
by Tivo_Kenevil
IDK, CM operates on their own watch. They've had plans for the Oak Cliff store for years too. They seem not to be in a rush for more Dallas locales

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 14:25
by The_Overdog
I think that is just their way of doing business. They are still sitting on a property in north Plano as well, where they have submitted design plans and changed zoning for a store more than two years ago.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 03 Jun 2020 14:38
by tamtagon
Maybe they are prepping several stores sites, and will start them around the same time; when the stores sites are secured, they will build warehouse space to serve the new retail square footage. Don't they work that way much of the time?

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 04 Jun 2020 09:12
by OrangeMike
The_Overdog wrote:I think that is just their way of doing business. They are still sitting on a property in north Plano as well, where they have submitted design plans and changed zoning for a store more than two years ago.


Aren’t they also still sitting on the Lemmon Avenue parcels and waiting for leases to expire in the La Madeleine building?

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 04 Jun 2020 12:34
by Jbarn
OrangeMike wrote:
The_Overdog wrote:I think that is just their way of doing business. They are still sitting on a property in north Plano as well, where they have submitted design plans and changed zoning for a store more than two years ago.


Aren’t they also still sitting on the Lemmon Avenue parcels and waiting for leases to expire in the La Madeleine building?


I believe so. They scraped most of the lots clean there and we are left with a huge chunk of emptiness for probably years. Really zaps the energy out of a semi-urban area when you have that much empty land.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 04 Jun 2020 13:00
by CTroyMathis
There's another rendering in the article posted above showing an entrance right next to a garage entrance/exit. I can't imagine why the prominent intersection corner has that door and stairway other than a fire exit. . . That'll need some aesthetic attention at a minimum. It's humorous that there is a person rendered on the stairs.

Image

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 04 Jun 2020 13:04
by CTroyMathis
And, Tam - do they already have a Commissary here? I have no idea, but, that would certainly be something look out for in the future - in an industrial biz section of local media if all these plans start to come to fruition re: Central Market.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 04 Jun 2020 13:05
by exelone31
No carts for this one, then? The design doesn't seem to be too conducive to carts, even small ones.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 04 Jun 2020 13:12
by CTroyMathis
There's likely another internal entrance/exit after that drive. It looks possibly open-air partially factoring rendering lighting or just straight up covered. So maybe that's where cart users would go to and fro to their vehicles. And, the pedestrians perhaps will use the streetside entrance.

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Posted: 04 Jun 2020 14:10
by cowboyeagle05
Yeah I imagine this is setup like all the other urban grocery stores as of late. You will drive down park ride an escalator up into the store and when you leave with your carts it will be down one of those cart escalators. Pedestrians will just walk up to that small door pictured near the parking entrance. Overall it does seem like a odd design but I am assuming a lot since I only have two renderings to work from.