East Dallas: Kroger

cowboyeagle05

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Oct 2021 12:33

Probably cause they are upset about the additional affordable housing and figure if they kill the 4 million they will kill off the affordable housing component and since there is already so many stores in the area they aren't worried about killing the project all together.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 14 Oct 2021 14:11

My only problem with this plan is that it is only a low-Mid rise it should be a high rise tower.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Oct 2021 01:01

cowboyeagle05 wrote:its surrounded by two other grocery stores that are considered not close enough cause those in the affordable housing are unlikely to own cars.

Are you kidding me.. There's too many damn cars all over the place near those apartments/ townhouses by Cochran and those other little streets near by.. you acting like the people there are destitute.. nah my guy, they're just hood. There's a difference!

Addison

Postby Addison » 15 Oct 2021 04:28

Cbdallas wrote:My only problem with this plan is that it is only a low-Mid rise it should be a high rise tower.

I mean, it is a Kroger project.

Mediocrity for everyone (B-A-N-A-N-A-S!!!). :roll:

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Oct 2021 08:51

One of the major reasons we get any height on these projects is depending on how valuable the land is. A developer goes vertical when the land cost is so they need to invest more to make the return they want to get for
a chosen piece of land to over simplify. I am sure someone will chip in and correct me or try to explain it further. This land isn't valuable enough its not near anything that has any value.

75 not so much enough to go higher, Klyde Warren not close enough, huge affordable housing project next door not a desirable quality, Ross Avenue not exactly McKinney Ave etc. Sure Uptown is across the freeway but its across the freeway so we get the standard apartment block.

LBK2013

Postby LBK2013 » 15 Oct 2021 15:23

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:its surrounded by two other grocery stores that are considered not close enough cause those in the affordable housing are unlikely to own cars.

Are you kidding me.. There's too many damn cars all over the place near those apartments/ townhouses by Cochran and those other little streets near by.. you acting like the people there are destitute.. nah my guy, they're just hood. There's a difference!

I mean it is in a USDA LI/LA census tract. so at least they think these people don't have cars or money.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 15 Oct 2021 16:49

Well lets accept that Kroger isn't building the store out of charity. The food desert argument is just to get some temporary tax relief. Somewhere in Kroger corporate they believe two stores so close can absorb a lot of market share. I doubt Kroger is seriously building this store with plans to close the City place location. They would be afraid another store would take the spot in City Place and I doubt there is restrictions in place to block another grocery from the current Fresh Fare location like what Walmart and Target does frequently.

Addison

Postby Addison » 15 Oct 2021 21:05

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Well lets accept that Kroger isn't building the store out of charity. The food desert argument is just to get some temporary tax relief. Somewhere in Kroger corporate they believe two stores so close can absorb a lot of market share. I doubt Kroger is seriously building this store with plans to close the City place location. They would be afraid another store would take the spot in City Place and I doubt there is restrictions in place to block another grocery from the current Fresh Fare location like what Walmart and Target does frequently.

You certainly make a strong argument for why they should *NOT* get any incentives (I don't think they should).

LBK2013

Postby LBK2013 » 15 Oct 2021 22:52

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Well lets accept that Kroger isn't building the store out of charity. The food desert argument is just to get some temporary tax relief. Somewhere in Kroger corporate they believe two stores so close can absorb a lot of market share. I doubt Kroger is seriously building this store with plans to close the City place location. They would be afraid another store would take the spot in City Place and I doubt there is restrictions in place to block another grocery from the current Fresh Fare location like what Walmart and Target does frequently.

Of course they aren't. If they were they'd go build a store in South Dallas where there is an actual need.

They are trying to get incentives on a technicality. It's poor optics for them and I hope they don't get a dime.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 18 Oct 2021 09:37

And according to recent news the developer not technically Kroger asked for the incentives just a few weeks ago. It will be interesting to see if its a make or break moment for them for sure. I say deny and let them figure out if its worth it.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Oct 2021 16:31

Dallas OKs a $2 million tax break for Kroger’s grocery and apartment development in Uptown
Council members said they approved it because the project includes 76 units with affordable rent for lower-income households.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... in-uptown/

Addison

Postby Addison » 27 Oct 2021 18:06

Tnexster wrote:Dallas OKs a $2 million tax break for Kroger’s grocery and apartment development in Uptown
Council members said they approved it because the project includes 76 units with affordable rent for lower-income households.

Clown sh*t.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 27 Oct 2021 19:22

Tnexster wrote:Dallas OKs a $2 million tax break for Kroger’s grocery and apartment development in Uptown

Kroger spokeswoman April Martin said the incentive is for the affordable housing part of the project and not the supermarket it plans to build.

Hopefully they keep their word on this part. More affordable housing is a must.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 27 Oct 2021 21:58

That's a lot more reasonable. I wish the Cedar Springs Kroger plan had found a compromise. That would be a great location for an urban grocer with residential.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 28 Oct 2021 09:35

All of the articles are still neglecting the Kroger that is like 2 blocks away from this. I wish they would acknowledge that and say one way or another if this is a replacement for the cityplace one or not.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Oct 2021 09:47

Well they are being honest in the sense the money is "paying" for the affordable apartments like every other project in Dallas where the city gives money to convince developers to build affordable units. It not exactly paying for Kroger itself. I still dont understand why Kroger wants two stores so close but the CityPlace locations parking lot is always packed cause its so small.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 28 Oct 2021 09:55

For whatever reason, I'm only now learning about this development. Really happy that something is going in this plot of land.

I've done the walk across 75 along Hall St, and this section feels pretty barren to me. I realize it still won't be a great walk regardless, considering you have to cross 75, but this will be a welcome improvement.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 30 Aug 2022 09:27

Any movement on construction? It is still on the developer's website:

https://www.southeastern.company/portfo ... city-view/

eburress

Postby eburress » 30 Aug 2022 10:22

Funny, I'd forgotten all about this one!

thelivingworld

Postby thelivingworld » 30 Aug 2022 12:32

They're doing street reconstruction on Hall that's currently listed to go until 9/19/2023 as part of the 2017 Bond Program. Maybe that's delayed it?

Zmitz

Postby Zmitz » 06 Apr 2023 09:34

A Realpage update from late February says the permits for this project are showing as canceled.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 10 Apr 2023 09:22

Zmitz wrote:A Realpage update from late February says the permits for this project are showing as canceled.

You scooped the DMN.
Kroger supermarket planned on N. Hall Street near downtown Dallas is on hold
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... s-on-hold/

“We are currently focused on the three new stores planned for Fort Worth, Melissa and Plano.” Votava said. Kroger is relocating a Plano store. It’s also building two supermarkets near new housing developments in Melissa and Fort Worth’s Alliance area.

Votava declined to share details behind the decision to shelf the N. Hall Street location for now. Kroger owns the land and had partnered with Southeastern Development to build the 365 apartments.

The city approved a 10-year, $2 million tax break for Kroger in October 2021, provided the apartments included 75 affordable units. The plan was to have the project open by fall 2024.

Addison

Postby Addison » 10 Apr 2023 09:53

OrangeMike wrote:
Zmitz wrote:A Realpage update from late February says the permits for this project are showing as canceled.

You scooped the DMN.
Kroger supermarket planned on N. Hall Street near downtown Dallas is on hold
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... s-on-hold/

“We are currently focused on the three new stores planned for Fort Worth, Melissa and Plano.” Votava said. Kroger is relocating a Plano store. It’s also building two supermarkets near new housing developments in Melissa and Fort Worth’s Alliance area.

Votava declined to share details behind the decision to shelf the N. Hall Street location for now. Kroger owns the land and had partnered with Southeastern Development to build the 365 apartments.

The city approved a 10-year, $2 million tax break for Kroger in October 2021, provided the apartments included 75 affordable units. The plan was to have the project open by fall 2024.

And this is a good example why Tom Thumb doesn't deserve incentives for its proposed store

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 10 Apr 2023 12:07

This one is dead in the water. All of the corporate blather is just meaningless hot air.