East Dallas: Kroger

Tnexster

East Dallas: Kroger

Postby Tnexster » 09 Nov 2016 23:11

This is an older topic again but has some new developments.

Kroger plans new store and urban apartments on the eastern edge of downtown Dallas

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/real ... own-dallas

A new Kroger supermarket on the edge of Dallas' Arts District will offer more than groceries.

The supermarket chain plans for its new store to be part of a mixed-use development that includes hundreds of new apartments.

Kroger last year purchased a block of land on Hall Street between Ross Avenue and North Central Expressway. It's just across the highway from downtown and in an area that's seeing rapid redevelopment.

Early this year Kroger filed plans with the City of Dallas to build just a supermarket and surface parking on the site.

But now the grocery giant has teamed up with a local apartment builder and wants to include 375 apartments with the project.

The development designed by Dallas architect GFF would have four stories of rental units on top of a 2-level Kroger store, plans for the project show.

ContriveDallasite

Re: East Dallas: Kroger

Postby ContriveDallasite » 10 Nov 2016 02:30

Now when we get a West Dallas: Kroger we will know we have finally hit a turning point.

willyk

Postby willyk » 10 Nov 2016 04:08

Will the Kroger front 75? I can't tell if their parcel gets all of the way there.

muncien

Postby muncien » 10 Nov 2016 08:56

Wow... This is fantastic news for the area. Very impressed.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Dmkflyer

Postby Dmkflyer » 10 Nov 2016 20:57

This may be very good news for the redevelopment of the Kroger on Cedar Springs in Oak Lawn

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Nov 2016 21:04

Dmkflyer wrote:This may be very good news for the redevelopment of the Kroger on Cedar Springs in Oak Lawn

Great point. This needs to happen for the Oak Lawn location as well.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Dec 2016 11:41

Well last reported just this week there is a legality problem with the library property being sold to the Kroger. Not to mention no one at the meetings wanted the suburban store so lets hope they have found a partner maybe the same one for the Hall street store and will work with the city to get the property acquired and a new store developed. Another problem was that Kroger wanted to keep the store running and people employed during the redo. This way you could at least move some people over once this store is opened and start work replacing the Oak Lawn location.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Dec 2016 12:44

^ i think the kroger with the library was the oak lawn location not east Dallas .. wrong thread

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Dec 2016 14:25

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:^ i think the kroger with the library was the oak lawn location not east Dallas .. wrong thread

It is but the one on Hall has an influence on the project on Oak Lawn that is the only reason I brought it up. Kroger going urban on the new Hall location is a big deal cause that's what Oak Lawn wants and was very clear about it.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Dec 2016 16:25

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:^ i think the kroger with the library was the oak lawn location not east Dallas .. wrong thread

It is but the one on Hall has an influence on the project on Oak Lawn that is the only reason I brought it up. Kroger going urban on the new Hall location is a big deal cause that's what Oak Lawn wants and was very clear about it.

Ok I get you. Misread.

Now I certainly do hope Kroger goes back to the drawing board on this. Hopefully they can find a developer who can help them get a mixed facility there.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 11 Feb 2020 13:48

It's time to resurrect this thread.

New apartment and grocery project in the works on eastern edge of downtown Dallas

An Atlanta developer is working on plans for a new mixed-use project on the eastern edge of downtown Dallas that will include apartments and a supermarket.

Southeastern Development has filed plans for the proposed development that would be built on the one-block site on Hall Street between Ross Avenue and North Central Expressway.

It's just across the highway from downtown Dallas’ Arts District.

Kroger in 2015 bought the property with plans to build a new store plus rental units.

But nothing much has happened to the property since then.

Now Southeastern Development has filed plans with the State of Texas for a $60 million development that will include 375 apartments, an 85,178-square-foot grocery store and a 779-car parking garage.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... wn-dallas/

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Feb 2020 14:02

Kinda shocked that this is moving forward after Tom Thumb staked their claim. We keep hearing about the terrible margins in the grocery business, but here comes Kroger wanting to compete for even smaller crumbs in a crowded area.

malachi896

Postby malachi896 » 11 Feb 2020 14:29

lakewoodhobo wrote:Kinda shocked that this is moving forward after Tom Thumb staked their claim. We keep hearing about the terrible margins in the grocery business, but here comes Kroger wanting to compete for even smaller crumbs in a crowded area.

Especially with the Kroger Fresh Fare at Cityplace literally half a mile from there.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Feb 2020 14:45

malachi896 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:Kinda shocked that this is moving forward after Tom Thumb staked their claim. We keep hearing about the terrible margins in the grocery business, but here comes Kroger wanting to compete for even smaller crumbs in a crowded area.

Especially with the Kroger Fresh Fare at Cityplace literally half a mile from there.

Yeah, that's what is most surprising to me. I'm assuming they know what they are doing, so if urban Dallas can support all these grocery stores so close to each other, then I'm all for it.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 11 Feb 2020 14:58

Trader Joe’s would be a better fit here or move the Walmart grocery across the freeway.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Feb 2020 15:00

Well, what I am curious about is will this finally teach Kroger how to operate more density-driven store locations. Certainly, the Oak Lawn store should be something similar but Kroger corporate was afraid to lose market share to while the current suburban store shut down. The Cityplace one seems so odd with urban apartments to one side attached and a suburban store that often runs out of parking. An urban store at the City Place location could have had more parking for the store and apartment guests. Just seems that corporate has tried to avoid the reality they will need to compete in denser areas to stay alive. Why they are doing it so close to City Place location I will never know.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Feb 2020 15:03

R1070 wrote:Trader Joe’s would be a better fit here or move the Walmart grocery across the freeway.

While not terrible ideas the problem is Kroger bought the land with plans for a traditional style suburban store even submitting plans to the city. Then radio silence after Starbucks built, then they announced they would instead pursue a mixed-use store with residential sharing the site. The developer is a Kroger store developer so for any other store flag Kroger would have to sell and probably another developer brought online.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 12 Feb 2020 11:21

Does anyone on here actually shop at these grocery stores in this area? Because from personal experience I find that if you don't make it into the store by around 5-6pm on a week day to any of the central Dallas Kroger or Tom-Thumbs, the produce and meats are pretty depleted along with lower stock on all the main aisles as well. And forget about conveniently finding a basket during this time. Again this is just from personal experience, I think this project is a little overdue at this point. Plus every grocer they build near downtown is small, they do not carry as much product as there larger outer suburban counterparts. Its a similar situation for all of the gyms around downtown as well, they are busy or just packed every hour of the day unless you go in the middle of the night but still won't be alone.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Feb 2020 12:20

Thymant wrote:Does anyone on here actually shop at these grocery stores in this area? Because from personal experience I find that if you don't make it into the store by around 5-6pm on a week day to any of the central Dallas Kroger or Tom-Thumbs, the produce and meats are pretty depleted along with lower stock on all the main aisles as well. And forget about conveniently finding a basket during this time. Again this is just from personal experience, I think this project is a little overdue at this point. Plus every grocer they build near downtown is small, they do not carry as much product as there larger outer suburban counterparts. Its a similar situation for all of the gyms around downtown as well, they are busy or just packed every hour of the day unless you go in the middle of the night but still won't be alone.

I stopped going to the Kroger's in the core. They lack quality.

The Tom Thumb is in VP I like a lot. I go during the day tho.. before 5. Awesome store and great location. Now if Central Market could just build their uptown and oak Cliff locales!

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 12 Feb 2020 12:24

Parking at the Cityplace Kroger is always, always, always a crowded nightmare. I feel like East Dallas is overwhelmed by grocery stores, and yet. Apparently there's demand for a lackluster grocery experience.

Also, there always seem to be at least two firetrucks parked there with their lights flashing, which totally screws up the traffic flow. Apparently the store catches on fire at least once a week? Baffling.

PonyUp13

Postby PonyUp13 » 13 Feb 2020 04:37

Parking in that Kroger is always a nightmare. The trick on the weekend is just to park in BoA's parking lot

TreeFrog

Postby TreeFrog » 15 Feb 2020 01:49

I live close to the Cityplace Kroger and was very happy when it opened. I also was impressed with their organic and quality selection. It seemed almost like a more affordable version of Whole Foods somewhat.

It seemed they really made the store more generic in terms of options not long after it opened. I know I started to feel more and more disappointed as time went on.

Of course these days I rarely step foot in a grocery store. While premium, delivery options are just too convenient and more appealing than pushing a cart around a crowded store and going through the whole checkout process. Not to mention I shop smarter with less impulse purchases. I understand the appeal of shopping in a grocery store being a foodie but I can honestly say I rarely miss that experience these days.

Zmitz

Postby Zmitz » 01 Jun 2020 09:13

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ger-store/

Plans presented to the city of Dallas show a five-story building with a Kroger store and parking on the lower floors.
The more than $60 million development will include the 85,000-square-foot Kroger grocery store plus 375 apartments. There is an almost 800-car garage.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 Jun 2020 10:04

Good to finally see this progress. You can tell they struggled on the exterior since they don't have a large parking lot out front it's hard to tell from renderings whats truly the "front' of the store. The traffic of grocery activity will be in the parking garage but the street entrances for the store on the ground level are quite demure. Since Kroger doesn't do these kinds of developments it's an interesting first try.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 01 Jun 2020 11:07

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Good to finally see this progress. You can tell they struggled on the exterior since they don't have a large parking lot out front it's hard to tell from renderings whats truly the "front' of the store. The traffic of grocery activity will be in the parking garage but the street entrances for the store on the ground level are quite demure. Since Kroger doesn't do these kinds of developments it's an interesting first try.

FWIW, this is not Kroger's first try at this kind of development. They've done a number of them in various cities around the country.

But, speaking of street entrance; Is there one? Which side of the building is it on? (The door on the corner in the rendering above appears to be nothing more than an emergency exit.)

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 Jun 2020 11:16

Tucy wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:Good to finally see this progress. You can tell they struggled on the exterior since they don't have a large parking lot out front it's hard to tell from renderings whats truly the "front' of the store. The traffic of grocery activity will be in the parking garage but the street entrances for the store on the ground level are quite demure. Since Kroger doesn't do these kinds of developments it's an interesting first try.

FWIW, this is not Kroger's first try at this kind of development. They've done a number of them in various cities around the country.

But, speaking of street entrance; Is there one? Which side of the building is it on? (The door on the corner in the rendering above appears to be nothing more than an emergency exit.)

Sorry I mean here in Dallas where I haven't seen them make any desire to build such development. Urban Krogers is not really something the company likes doing. Talk to them about the Cedar Springs Rd store and they talk like no one has ever built a grocery store in a mixed-use property. I'm sure someone in the company gets it but you can tell if they can build a more traditional store why bother complicating things with a parking garage and apartments.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 01 Jun 2020 13:24

This is 3500 feet from the city place Krogers, and just 1500 feet from the neighborhood wal-mart - why are they bothering to build one so close? I feel like grocery stores in uptown are actually being overbuilt at the moment. new tom thumbs at the union, the gables mckinney, the planned central market on the former albertsons site, and now this... quite a few large grocers for an area that really isn't that populated.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 01 Jun 2020 13:28

Now they need something urban with residential for the cedar springs property.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 01 Jun 2020 13:42

homeworld1031tx wrote:This is 3500 feet from the city place Krogers, and just 1500 feet from the neighborhood wal-mart - why are they bothering to build one so close? I feel like grocery stores in uptown are actually being overbuilt at the moment. new tom thumbs at the union, the gables mckinney, the planned central market on the former albertsons site, and now this... quite a few large grocers for an area that really isn't that populated.

Not to mention the new Tom Thumb. I would not be surprised if this replaces the (smaller) Kroger at City Place.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 01 Jun 2020 15:33

Tucy wrote:
homeworld1031tx wrote:This is 3500 feet from the city place Krogers, and just 1500 feet from the neighborhood wal-mart - why are they bothering to build one so close? I feel like grocery stores in uptown are actually being overbuilt at the moment. new tom thumbs at the union, the gables mckinney, the planned central market on the former albertsons site, and now this... quite a few large grocers for an area that really isn't that populated.

Not to mention the new Tom Thumb. I would not be surprised if this replaces the (smaller) Kroger at City Place.

We can probably scratch central market off the pending list I think. If they couldn’t get the thing started in this last development cycle, I doubt it will ever get done. I know it’s a big project, but the fact that the never ever Drever is actually almost finished, yet the central market site hasn’t had one shovel of dirt turned I believe spells doom for this project.

Bategeler

Postby Bategeler » 03 Jun 2020 09:37

Jbarn wrote:
We can probably scratch central market off the pending list I think. If they couldn’t get the thing started in this last development cycle, I doubt it will ever get done. I know it’s a big project, but the fact that the never ever Drever is actually almost finished, yet the central market site hasn’t had one shovel of dirt turned I believe spells doom for this project.

I wouldn't count them out yet. Central Market is notoriously picky and this is the first time they have attempted to build a mixuse urban store. Plus they had to get rezoning approval from the city which can be a long process.

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 03 Jun 2020 13:33

Bategeler wrote:
Jbarn wrote:

I wouldn't count them out yet. Central Market is notoriously picky and this is the first time they have attempted to build a mixuse urban store. Plus they had to get rezoning approval from the city which can be a long process.

They announced this over two years ago though, and they have had zoning approval for over a year. You would think there would be even the slightest bit of activity at this spot, but it looks the same as it did two or more years ago. Something is up with this.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 03 Jun 2020 13:37

IDK, CM operates on their own watch. They've had plans for the Oak Cliff store for years too. They seem not to be in a rush for more Dallas locales

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 03 Jun 2020 14:25

I think that is just their way of doing business. They are still sitting on a property in north Plano as well, where they have submitted design plans and changed zoning for a store more than two years ago.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 03 Jun 2020 14:38

Maybe they are prepping several stores sites, and will start them around the same time; when the stores sites are secured, they will build warehouse space to serve the new retail square footage. Don't they work that way much of the time?

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 04 Jun 2020 09:12

The_Overdog wrote:I think that is just their way of doing business. They are still sitting on a property in north Plano as well, where they have submitted design plans and changed zoning for a store more than two years ago.

Aren’t they also still sitting on the Lemmon Avenue parcels and waiting for leases to expire in the La Madeleine building?

Jbarn

Postby Jbarn » 04 Jun 2020 12:34

OrangeMike wrote:
The_Overdog wrote:I think that is just their way of doing business. They are still sitting on a property in north Plano as well, where they have submitted design plans and changed zoning for a store more than two years ago.

Aren’t they also still sitting on the Lemmon Avenue parcels and waiting for leases to expire in the La Madeleine building?

I believe so. They scraped most of the lots clean there and we are left with a huge chunk of emptiness for probably years. Really zaps the energy out of a semi-urban area when you have that much empty land.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 04 Jun 2020 13:00

There's another rendering in the article posted above showing an entrance right next to a garage entrance/exit. I can't imagine why the prominent intersection corner has that door and stairway other than a fire exit. . . That'll need some aesthetic attention at a minimum. It's humorous that there is a person rendered on the stairs.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 04 Jun 2020 13:04

And, Tam - do they already have a Commissary here? I have no idea, but, that would certainly be something look out for in the future - in an industrial biz section of local media if all these plans start to come to fruition re: Central Market.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 04 Jun 2020 13:05

No carts for this one, then? The design doesn't seem to be too conducive to carts, even small ones.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 04 Jun 2020 13:12

There's likely another internal entrance/exit after that drive. It looks possibly open-air partially factoring rendering lighting or just straight up covered. So maybe that's where cart users would go to and fro to their vehicles. And, the pedestrians perhaps will use the streetside entrance.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 04 Jun 2020 14:10

Yeah I imagine this is setup like all the other urban grocery stores as of late. You will drive down park ride an escalator up into the store and when you leave with your carts it will be down one of those cart escalators. Pedestrians will just walk up to that small door pictured near the parking entrance. Overall it does seem like a odd design but I am assuming a lot since I only have two renderings to work from.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 20 Sep 2021 13:18

Looks like they're going to add a patio along Hall Street based off this upcoming city plan commission document

https://dallascityhall.com/government/m ... 201-039(HC)_Development_Plan.pdf

Page 163:
https://dallascityhall.com/government/m ... Docket.pdf

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 20 Sep 2021 14:02

Interesting that they're asking for incentives to build this project. 10 years ago, sure, but this isn't exactly a food desert now.

The "but for" argument holds no water when you have several options in the immediate area, including another Kroger.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 20 Sep 2021 15:23

lol exactly.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Sep 2021 16:31

Maybe because 20% of the apartments will be for income levels as much as 60% of area median

The more than $100 million One City View development will have the 80,000-square-foot grocery store under four levels with 376 apartments. Twenty percent of the rental units would be leased to residents earning a maximum of 60% of the area’s median family income.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Sep 2021 10:45

Yeah I assume Kroger is testing some ideas with this store since they have not done a lot of urban stores. I still dont know why the locations are soo close but the City Place location is packed all the time.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Oct 2021 10:01

I love how NBC says Uptown... That's not Uptown at all and of course saying they want money for a store in an area most people would assume is well off isn't the best press to get.

To summarize NBC this store is considered to be a food desert cause of the nearby affordable housing even though its surrounded by two other grocery stores that are considered not close enough cause those in the affordable housing are unlikely to own cars.

This land also has deed restrictions that require affordable units as well because the city sold the developer the land with that added.

LBK2013

Postby LBK2013 » 14 Oct 2021 11:17

It's close enough to Uptown that the distinction doesn't really matter. In fact the Uptown Neighborhood Association was the group opposing the incentive Kroger is seeking.