DTD: Field Street District - Phase I (~405FT | 33 ST + 26 ST)

I45Tex

Re: Downtown Dallas: Field Street District

Postby I45Tex » 03 Aug 2020 22:19

Won't you have to cross two frontage roads and a loud underpass to reach the transit for this TOD?

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 03 Aug 2020 22:35

I45Tex wrote:Won't you have to cross two frontage roads and a loud underpass to reach the transit for this TOD?

McKinney and Broom streets aren't really "frontage roads" at that point (Frontage road to me implies a mix of traffic entering/exiting the freeway at 45+ mph), just 25 mph city streets with stoplights and intersections that happen to be next to a freeway. Usually those roads are pretty quiet, and perfectly safe to cross on foot. Once there's a DART crossing to periodically stop car traffic in either direction, there's no reason to think 99% of people couldn't traverse the ~150-ish feet from the development to the Museum way station.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 20 Apr 2022 12:34

Bumping this up since it's been so long since there's been any discussion about this project here on the forum. Plenty of discussion regarding this over the past year or so on the Discord, so want to get you forum-only peeps talking. :)

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 20 Apr 2022 16:00

I hope they get something started soon, rather see this than that Hillwood disaster across the street.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 21 Apr 2022 01:52

Tnexster wrote:I hope they get something started soon, rather see this than that Hillwood disaster across the street.

You and me both. KaiZen is leasing up a lot at The Link, which is good news. They're also close to wrapping up construction on the District 121 office building (9 stories in McKinney at SRT & Alma). I have faith in them overall but this is such a big (in terms of scale and importance) project and I pray they deliver and start sooner than later, and deliver what plans call for at that.

I wouldn't even hate Hillwood's gAteWaY iCoN as much if it weren't for the parking podium monstrosity, especially at such a prominent site. Wish they'd put some parking underground and add a few residential levels. Hell, I'd even be fine with more office floors if it were taller. But yeah, it's a disaster, and it's honestly pretty sad that they can't land tenants in pre-leasing. I bet they could land tenants if they started construction, but this whole waiting around thing doesn't work out well.

Same thing with Field Street District and KaiZen + Woods. I know they're calculated, but considering that Phase 1 calls for a 300-unit residential tower, a hotel tower, and an office tower, you'd think they could start something without the office component having an anchor tenant... Maybe the hold-up is D2 (thoughts?). Not sure...

Sigh.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 22 Apr 2022 13:25

Its capital, Woods just started the consolidation of two office towers Downtown to flip them into partial residential. I imagine Woods does not have the bandwidth to launch such a large project even in high demand residential and get the construction loans without more serious interest in the overall project. I am sure they could sell off a parcel for residential if they were satisfied with a Texas donut 4-5 story apartment complex but Woods rightfully so thinks this site should be a high-rise dense site so they are holding until they can line up the loans. Yes, they have a partner here but we don't know the entire story of the partnership. It may be in name only and not in help with financing unless an office tenantname comes along with serious interest.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

scott2

Postby scott2 » 22 Apr 2022 18:36

Off topic.... but I am very happy to see owners continuing to re-purpose these buildings ( Bryan Tower, etc.) into residential or hotel use. Takes empty office space off the market and brings bodies Downtown. We have done a pretty good job of that in Dallas so far.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 22 Apr 2022 22:40

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Its capital, Woods just started the consolidation of two office towers Downtown to flip them into partial residential. I imagine Woods does not have the bandwidth to launch such a large project even in high demand residential and get the construction loans without more serious interest in the overall project. I am sure they could sell off a parcel for residential if they were satisfied with a Texas donut 4-5 story apartment complex but Woods rightfully so thinks this site should be a high-rise dense site so they are holding until they can line up the loans. Yes, they have a partner here but we don't know the entire story of the partnership. It may be in name only and not in help with financing unless an office tenantname comes along with serious interest.

This development is a wild card. I think it will be hard to finance if Hunt breaks ground within 18 months just up the street. The only thing that might be built is a residential & hotel component of the proposed development. An office building is iffy. Just look at Harwood's reluctance to announce their much fabled #12 building that has not even been shown as a rendering. Harwood was on the verge of announcing it, then break ground in the Summer of 2020 just as the pandemic kicked in. Now, there's not a peep about their 40-story "tallest tower" in the Harwood Uptown District.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 23 Apr 2022 01:17

Museum way station is right by hunts project but not sure what a tunnel portal is by field st district…

How long does anyone think D2 will take to complete as it’s one of many factors for proposed and future development?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 24 Apr 2022 01:58

What do you mean by this?
zblevinz555 wrote:but not sure what a tunnel portal is by field st district…

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 24 Apr 2022 02:50

undefinedprocess wrote:What do you mean by this?

If you look at the map’s key in the bottom right corner you’ll notice there’s a rectangular box labeled “tunnel portal” and it appears in the map there’s a tunnel portal at the field st district location. But I’m not sure what a tunnel portal is…

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 24 Apr 2022 08:47

zblevinz555 wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:What do you mean by this?

If you look at the map’s key in the bottom right corner you’ll notice there’s a rectangular box labeled “tunnel portal” and it appears in the map there’s a tunnel portal at the field st district location. But I’m not sure what a tunnel portal is…

It means that's where the train would go into/out of the subterranean tunnel

ajderry2017

Postby ajderry2017 » 24 Apr 2022 10:12

You see the dart train coming out of the tunnel? That’s what they mean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 24 Apr 2022 18:14

Has the actual height of this development ever been established? It's hard to determine by the renderings, but I'm guessing that the two largest towers must be 40 to 45 stories. Some where in the neighborhood of the AMLI Fountain Place Tower's 45-stories. Would that be correct?

PonyUp13

Postby PonyUp13 » 25 Apr 2022 04:30

Nice to see they're proposing adding a wye by Victory to add even more flexibility.

I was in Amsterdam last weekend and struck by how their metro system is very similar to DART in that much of it flows through one central bit, but they have lots of "lines" from flagging each combination of termini as a different color.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 25 Apr 2022 12:55

rono3849 wrote:Has the actual height of this development ever been established? It's hard to determine by the renderings, but I'm guessing that the two largest towers must be 40 to 45 stories. Some where in the neighborhood of the AMLI Fountain Place Tower's 45-stories. Would that be correct?

No, there hasn't been an official height/floor-count established. I've looked through their marketing materials, too, and haven't been able to find anything, but then again, that was late 2020/early 2021.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 25 Apr 2022 16:59

PonyUp13 wrote:Nice to see they're proposing adding a wye by Victory to add even more flexibility.

I was in Amsterdam last weekend and struck by how their metro system is very similar to DART in that much of it flows through one central bit, but they have lots of "lines" from flagging each combination of termini as a different color.

Amsterdams metro isn't that extensive. Their tram system is great though.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 25 Apr 2022 20:43

Dallas wouldn't need a huge system if there was just something you could hop on and off of more easily outside of downtown.

PonyUp13

Postby PonyUp13 » 26 Apr 2022 05:26

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
PonyUp13 wrote:Nice to see they're proposing adding a wye by Victory to add even more flexibility.

Amsterdams metro isn't that extensive. Their tram system is great though.

I know it's not extensive - I live in London theirs is a baby compared to ours - but I like the way they make it legible to people and how they've interlined it well such that it looks like they've got more than they do.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5xX8v8C7szPrsR86A

When I lived in the West Village I was always struck by the inability to go on a single train to Deep Ellum

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 06 Jun 2022 23:03

Got bored and found this online. I’ve never seen these renderings before.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1100-Mc ... /22884791/

D7749986-7771-422C-B352-A476415CFE44.jpeg
53CAE5E0-6D20-4561-A4E8-56BD0FB97D2C.jpeg
4B87D6F6-E9D4-477B-B63D-255091FA7FC3.jpeg

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 07 Jun 2022 01:10

Wow, very nice. You'd make a great detective. It appears the tallest tower is about the same height as the AMLI Tower across the street. The second tower is a shade shorter. I guess the leftover parking lots are for future expansion. I wonder if they'll proceed with the Recession looming? Timing is everything.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 07 Jun 2022 08:52

rono3849 wrote:Wow, very nice. You'd make a great detective. It appears the tallest tower is about the same height as the AMLI Tower across the street. The second tower is a shade shorter. I guess the leftover parking lots are for future expansion. I wonder if they'll proceed with the Recession looming? Timing is everything.

Lol it looks like they took the link down.

I know one of the buildings was listed to be 28 stories with 700,000+ sq ft of space. I also seen this on Reddit from the Dallas Chamber. Field St is suppose to start this year. IDK if it’s happening as planned. https://www.dallaschamber.org/wp-conten ... ojects.pdf

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 08 Jun 2022 17:44

Looks like a lot of info that was previously on multiple CRE sites has been trimmed down/removed altogether. CBRE's site for this project is now blank.

Not making me feel good...

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 11 Jun 2022 07:37

undefinedprocess wrote:Looks like a lot of info that was previously on multiple CRE sites has been trimmed down/removed altogether. CBRE's site for this project is now blank.

I presume they were taking a shot with Goldman and didn’t win. Can’t imagine doing something this big with the impending downturn and no anchor tenant.

Addison

Postby Addison » 11 Jun 2022 07:42

ArtVandelay wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:Looks like a lot of info that was previously on multiple CRE sites has been trimmed down/removed altogether. CBRE's site for this project is now blank.

I presume they were taking a shot with Goldman and didn’t win. Can’t imagine doing something this big with the impending downturn and no anchor tenant.

I suspect you're right.

The theme with most of these proposed projects downtown and even Uptown (not to mention the Valley View site) is that the developers want to hold out for this elusive big corporate tenant that will never come.

It's quite annoying.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 11 Jun 2022 11:33

The carry (carrying cost of the financing) on this acreage purchased from the previously planned Indian cultural center and museum has got to be in the millions/yr, but that's low compared to the carry on an empty new building competing with Uber's available-for-sublease never-been-used space at Epic. And Deep Ellum is more appealing than it ever was to a certain slice of the firms that have always pre-COVID looked only at Uptown.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Jun 2022 11:50

^sure would be nice to see the cool seeking tech firms 'discover' the areas south and east of Fair Park,

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 11 Jun 2022 14:37

The Recession will put a chill on all developments in the pipeline. The situation does not look promising for the next couple of years to say the least. If they haven't broken ground yet, I suspect the building will be on hold.

zblevinz555

Postby zblevinz555 » 15 Oct 2022 14:50

https://res.cloudinary.com/marketsphere ... ulvmei.pdf

I’m assuming this is the updated version. Idk if I like it
better than the original renderings. Both renderings are a waste of time for such a high profile site. Sad

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 15 Oct 2022 15:26

I'm sorry you are crestfallen but this is just a way of de-risking the first phase. Originally Phase 1 was to be three high-rises and the following phase would bring the total to five high-rises. Source below.

Now phase one is a structure providing amenities to two towers, phase two is one tower, and additional towers will be planned when demand (supported by the walkable retail spaces) warrants replacing the walkable retail spaces. Seems responsible to me.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... in-dallas/

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 15 Oct 2022 16:58

I45Tex wrote:I'm sorry you are crestfallen but this is just a way of de-risking the first phase. Originally Phase 1 was to be three high-rises and the following phase would bring the total to five high-rises. Source below.

Now phase one is a structure providing amenities to two towers, phase two is one tower, and additional towers will be planned when demand (supported by the walkable retail spaces) warrants replacing the walkable retail spaces. Seems responsible to me.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2 ... in-dallas/

That’s how I view it too. I love the idea of more walkable retail space, we need more of that Downtown. I see The Rustic listed in the site plans.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 15 Oct 2022 17:03

zblevinz555 wrote:https://res.cloudinary.com/marketsphere/image/upload/dqcgljbr9khytnulvmei.pdf

better than the original renderings. Both renderings are a waste of time for such a high profile site. Sad

One thing I can say, it’s not as bad as Goldman so far lol.
Last edited by dallaz on 15 Oct 2022 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 15 Oct 2022 17:05

This article was the one that described the initial phase as planned pre-COVID:

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estat ... partments/

rickbansal

Postby rickbansal » 16 Oct 2022 08:27

dallaz wrote:
zblevinz555 wrote:https://res.cloudinary.com/marketsphere/image/upload/dqcgljbr9khytnulvmei.pdf

Agree. This on paper is much better looking than the planned Hunt (Goldman) development.

Addison

Postby Addison » 16 Oct 2022 15:19

dallaz wrote:

It's pretty sad that is now the standard.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 Oct 2022 12:18

Pretty sure the other news story here is The Rustic is moving from West Village due to something developing in the existing lot. It's too close to the WV location for anything other than relocation.

eburress

Postby eburress » 17 Oct 2022 12:24

^^ hahaha that's what I thought too.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 17 Oct 2022 12:49

Addison wrote:
dallaz wrote:

It's pretty sad that is now the standard.

It is…but ATP I don’t expect much from Dallas developers. I don’t think we’re getting any signature towers/developments anytime soon. Basically a continuation of Uptown/Victory Park. Which I’m not totally mad at, cuz we do need the additional infill.

Maybe developments like this will make more architecturally interesting buildings more possible in the future…?

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 17 Oct 2022 13:30

Frankly, I don't see this development breaking ground anytime soon. This is mere speculation without any commitment from a company to lease space in the office building. They are all about the size of an Uptown office tower. These could have been major towers, but sadly they aren't.

DFW

Postby DFW » 02 Feb 2023 16:06

Saw a truck that takes soil samples but no one was there, I suppose due to the weather conditions. Also noticed other holes in the ground of the parking lot near the abandoned truck. I took pictures with my iPhone but don’t know how to post them here.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 18 Mar 2023 18:21

Field.Street.Dst.2023a.jpg
Field.Street.Dst.2023b.jpg

I went to KaiZen's web site and noticed a new rendering for their Field Street District development. Have they decided on this one now?

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 18 Mar 2023 22:46

It looks a lot less like Miyama Parkside’s design than it has till now. Good update find. Thank you.

eburress

Postby eburress » 19 Mar 2023 08:16

Now it looks like a Harwood office-on-a-garage tower lol

R1070

Postby R1070 » 19 Mar 2023 14:36

I'll take anything at this point. lol

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 19 Mar 2023 16:22

R1070 wrote:I'll take anything at this point. lol

Right :lol:

That parking lot is ugly as hell. Any development there is an upgrade

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 19 Mar 2023 21:39

dallaz wrote:
R1070 wrote:I'll take anything at this point. lol

Right :lol:

That parking lot is ugly as hell. Any development there is an upgrade

Field.Street.Dst.2023a.jpg

I think the newer renderings have been downscaled to accommodate the current marketplace, but if they get a commitment, perhaps they'll upgrade their plans. It is much more modest to say the least. I can't tell if it is two towers or just one tower. They appear to be 30 to 35-stories tall.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 20 Mar 2023 13:34

What a waste

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 20 Mar 2023 14:16

It's ok, it'll change again next year! : D

eburress