Deep Ellum 1.0

tamtagon
Site Admin

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Postby tamtagon » 06 Feb 2021 10:03

I'm okay with both. The only thing about the gas station I don't like is the continued dependence on fossil fuel for personal vehicles. We should have had cars that plug-in at home by now.... (Continued Texas economic prosperity cannot be allowed to crash through the ignorant and stubborn politico-protectionist coddling of the petro-industries, it'll be just like coal jobs in Appalachia, and fracking adds a Three Mile Island kicker. NO THANKS to all of that possible future. Texas should maneuver to the export of electricity, phasing out the export of gasoline)

The gas station is a neighborhood convenience. The pill factory in Deep Ellum will move when it's time. As long as the transportation department takes up all that land, this side of East Dallas will idle in place, helping direct increased density developments on the other three sides of the Deep Ellum preservation area....

It'll be fun to see what happens with Exposition Park in 20 years. The Peak-Haskell corridor will undoubtedly experience the heaviest hand of redevelop in East Dallas. The many historic and preservation districts are the foundation that will shape all of East Dallas, concentrating new development geographically and in scale. In the most recent generation of growth, Downtown Dallas has added branded neighborhoods Victory Park and Uptown; the Design District and Cedar Springs are on tap to house the continued growth of downtown.

In East Dallas, the rise of downtown will be similar, but of course different. Geography is much more defined, the highways reconstruction is a known initiative and the learned public-private force of a deck park becoming the front door of Fair Park is wildly promising! The two DART rail stations serving Fair Park reside in sub-neighborhoods currently under the toxic spell of post-war highway routing. These two small areas have more potential than any other to put greater Downtown Dallas on the list of places to visit in The Americas, moved up and off the list of places to visit in the Southwest United States.

The key to crossing that tourism threshold is creativity. Victory Park, Uptown, Design District.... these are growing from mundane industry sources as they become downtown neighborhoods; medical industries and whatever-corporate-the-future-holds growth is the expected source of mundane growth in Old East Dallas, but this time Dallas will have downtown expansion from the purest of the creative classes. Art and music is at home in Deep Ellum and this will be the existential driving force of an entirely new downtown neighborhood from the Arts District to Fair Park.

Two generations ago an exodus of art and music entities from Fair Park created the Downtown Arts District. In the next generation, the whole area between Fair Park and The Arts District will expand with creative entities and initiatives.... The Latino Cultural Center MUST take a couple or more acres. The center will grow into another variation of the Arts District with encyclopedic art museum component, history of the indigenous peoples component, sculpture gardens and performing art spaces. For people looking at art, listing to music and watching performance, this should be the line: Dallas-Mexico City-Buenos Aries-Rio de Janeiro you get the idea...

I support full lockdown of any new development between Live Oak - Good Latimer - Gaston - Hall until a comprehensive plan unites this segment of real estate with new public service purpose. The concentration of social justice non-profits and foundations lining Swiss is maintained, cultivated grown. Public parks are built and central programing entity coordinates the area. The Meadows Foundation becomes a bridge, perhaps, that helps the area become the home of consulates of many countries....

R1070

Postby R1070 » 06 Feb 2021 10:41

More jobs and residents in Deep Ellum along with rehabbing old structures is good for the neighborhood. Gas stations and other suburban infill kill urbanity.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 06 Feb 2021 12:21

I'm not sure how on point I am as pharmaceutical stuff isn't really up my alley, but, it seems like a fill and finish facility for pharmaceuticals is the end of stream manufacturing or lab facility before distribution to wherever.

I guess earlier in the stream would be where the chemicals and other bio-stuff are created for drugs and thus chemical waste and other uglies that possibly make their way to wastewater and landfills are somewhere else.

If this is the end point, I'm guessing waste concerns are far less (compared to earlier in stream and certainly not zero) and also this is the highest value point in the drug process/final assembly of drug.

willyk

Postby willyk » 09 Feb 2021 00:23

LPG wrote:
willyk wrote:Are the people who oppose putting a QuickTrip on Lemmon in Uptown, also opposed to a putting a drug manufacturing plant on a pretty darn good multi-purpose site in Deep Ellum?

I am not sure a gas station in Uptown on Cole Ave is a perfect corollary to rehabbing a building in Deep Ellum, but I have no qualms.

Can you help me understand how the two are related?

Two pretty good mixed use sites are going to less than their highest and best uses. One is for a banal gas station in a location where people drive cars and need gas, another is for a manufacturing facility probably better suited for Garland or Arlington. I think both should equally offend our urban sensibilities, but I suspect the gas station will draw the selective outrage.

LPG

Postby LPG » 09 Feb 2021 08:29

willyk wrote:
LPG wrote:
willyk wrote:Are the people who oppose putting a QuickTrip on Lemmon in Uptown, also opposed to a putting a drug manufacturing plant on a pretty darn good multi-purpose site in Deep Ellum?

I am not sure a gas station in Uptown on Cole Ave is a perfect corollary to rehabbing a building in Deep Ellum, but I have no qualms.

Can you help me understand how the two are related?

Two pretty good mixed use sites are going to less than their highest and best uses. One is for a banal gas station in a location where people drive cars and need gas, another is for a manufacturing facility probably better suited for Garland or Arlington. I think both should equally offend our urban sensibilities, but I suspect the gas station will draw the selective outrage.

While I would always advocate for highest and best use, expecting that outcome on any project is naive. There are a half dozen gas stations within two miles of the QT site. If Uptown was a petroleum desert, ICE wasn’t an antiquated technology and the site was less than an entire acre I would probably just shrug my shoulders and move on. If the project was a one story retail strip filled with neighborhood services, with even the slightest orientation toward the pedestrian realm, I would be more than happy.

If the only ‘connection’ is your assumption that someone opposed to a gas station would then subsequently be opposed to all development that isn’t the ‘highest and best use’ of the space available, then that is quite the logical leap to take!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Feb 2021 09:46

You know not every warehouse site in Deep Ellum needs to become a mixed use project of epic proportions. Some properties can just provide quality jobs for innovative industries and having a innovative generic drug company that could potentially uproot the over priced drug industry seems like a nice alternative to lets say a just a washing machine manufacturing plant. Both are not terrible things for the economy. I think its a good idea to welcome something like this in a time when hotels and office space are being canceled. The Uptown gas station is another story for me personally.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Feb 2021 11:34

cowboyeagle05 wrote:You know not every warehouse site in Deep Ellum needs to become a mixed use project of epic proportions. Some properties can just provide quality jobs for innovative industries and having a innovative generic drug company that could potentially uproot the over priced drug industry seems like a nice alternative to lets say a just a washing machine manufacturing plant. Both are not terrible things for the economy. I think its a good idea to welcome something like this in a time when hotels and office space are being canceled. The Uptown gas station is another story for me personally.

Couldn't agree more, nice to have actual jobs coming into DE at a time like this. This is a great thing to see and could encourage more similar projects in the future. Better here than in the far out burbs. Great opportunity for residents that live nearby.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 09 Feb 2021 11:46

Does Mark Cuban (or associated) own the next building over (with the Mavericks logo on the roof and other Mavs stuff on the exterior walls) and the parking lot? Just curious. Seems like he/"they" do.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 09 Feb 2021 11:53

It's sad how many people here are out of touch with the reality of urban living.

This isn't Sim City. Real people in a real neighborhood need real the same real businesses and services that everyone else does. Not another dozen Thai-Inspired Ice Cream Shops and Surf Board Fitness Studios.

The new 7-Eleven gas station on Commerce is huge a hit, because real people actually have to buy gas for their very real cars. Real people who don't want I-345 torn down, because it makes it easier for them to actually get places. Real people people who don't want Commerce and Elm converted to two-way streets because they don't want to spend 10 minutes going three blocks. And very real people who most definitely don't want bike lanes, because every on-street parking space is a precious gift from God.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 09 Feb 2021 11:58

CTroyMathis wrote:Does Mark Cuban (or associated) own the next building over (with the Mavericks logo on the roof and other Mavs stuff on the exterior walls) and the parking lot? Just curious. Seems like he/"they" do.
Team HQ: https://www.facebook.com/MavsGG/

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 09 Feb 2021 12:00

By the way, if anyone here ever goes to the 7-Eleven at Elm & Good Latimer in the evenings, please give my young-old daughter a warm DFWU Forum hello. She's been there for over a year and loves it.

^ Thanks Hannibal.

LPG

Postby LPG » 09 Feb 2021 12:55

Hannibal Lecter wrote:It's sad how many people here are out of touch with the reality of urban living.

This isn't Sim City. Real people in a real neighborhood need real the same real businesses and services that everyone else does. Not another dozen Thai-Inspired Ice Cream Shops and Surf Board Fitness Studios.

The new 7-Eleven gas station on Commerce is huge a hit, because real people actually have to buy gas for their very real cars. Real people who don't want I-345 torn down, because it makes it easier for them to actually get places. Real people people who don't want Commerce and Elm converted to two-way streets because they don't want to spend 10 minutes going three blocks. And very real people who most definitely don't want bike lanes, because every on-street parking space is a precious gift from God.

It’s strange to me that you seek to minimize others opinions based on your own self validation of what constitutes ‘urban living’. As a Deep Ellum resident, I have never been to that 7-11. It’s great that you enjoy it, and oppose other infrastructure projects, but your anecdote does not make fact, nor does mine.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Feb 2021 13:36

Hannibal Lecter wrote:And very real people who most definitely don't want bike lanes, because every on-street parking space is a precious gift from God.

I can understand why local businesses like on-street parking, but if I lived within walking distance to a place, I don't quite get why I would prefer on-street parking over a bike lane?

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 10 Feb 2021 10:57

CTroyMathis wrote:By the way, if anyone here ever goes to the 7-Eleven at Elm & Good Latimer in the evenings, please give my young-old daughter a warm DFWU Forum hello. She's been there for over a year and loves it.

If she's who I think she is, she has sold the good doctor more than a few lottery tickets. I'll say hi!

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 10 Feb 2021 11:23

DPatel304 wrote:I can understand why local businesses like on-street parking, but if I lived within walking distance to a place, I don't quite get why I would prefer on-street parking over a bike lane?

Three part answer:

1) Visitors: Friends, family, deliveries, clients (lots of residents work at home).

2) Some of the lower-end rental properties on the side streets have little no resident parking.

3) The next time you're in the 'hood, check out all the bike racks the city and property owners installed. Find one that's in use. Don't worry, I'll wait a year or so until you do. :-)

People who live here, including myself, ride bikes -- but not for transportation within the neighborhood. Things are too close to make it worthwhile, and you can't park a bike on the street for more than a few minutes without it being stolen or vandalized.

You even answered your own question to a degree: "I lived within walking distance to a place, I don't quite get why I would prefer on-street parking over a bike lane?" If you're in walking distance, why do you need a bike lane?

There are two main types of folks riding bikes in Deep Ellum: people riding through, and vagrants/panhandlers hanging around on stolen bikes. The existing streets are great for riding through (unlike those half-width curb bike lanes the city has started using), especially for groups. Yes, on nice weekends you have groups biking down to hang out on the patios, but again full lanes are better for them.

Bottom line: For people who live here parking is a strong positive. Bike lanes are useless.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Feb 2021 11:58

^ Good points, from my personal perspective as one who does not live there or even close I would visit and would like to visit but if you make it too difficult I won't. Reminds me of Victory Park, hard to park or its expensive so why go?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 10 Feb 2021 12:08

Valid points, that makes sense!

You even answered your own question to a degree: "I lived within walking distance to a place, I don't quite get why I would prefer on-street parking over a bike lane?" If you're in walking distance, why do you need a bike lane?

I wouldn't need the bike lane to get somewhere that is within walking distance, but more bike lanes (in general) would just help me get around the rest of Dallas by bike. So, hypothetically, I could bike over to Deep Ellum easier which could potentially free up a parking spot.

FYI, I rarely bike and likely wouldn't make much use of the bike lanes (I tend to walk, Uber, and sometimes ride the bus), but I'd certainly like to see this city become more bike friendly and see people using alternate methods of transportation.

TWCRE

Postby TWCRE » 21 Feb 2021 07:58

The Assembly - update on new creative office project in Deep Ellum (f/k/a 301 Crowdus):

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... QifQ%3D%3D

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 21 Feb 2021 22:15

TWCRE wrote:The Assembly - update on new creative office project in Deep Ellum (f/k/a 301 Crowdus):

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... QifQ%3D%3D

Thanks for the update. it's been a quiet year since the last details. I think this deserves its own thread. :geek:

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 26 Feb 2021 17:11

Serious Pizza’s serious facelift: The late-night Deep Ellum restaurant is back
https://www.dallasnews.com/2021/02/26/s ... back-open/

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 26 Feb 2021 17:23

you guys think deep ellum will only come back stronger? Seems to be a lot of things opening up right now

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 26 Feb 2021 18:22

^ It's not comeback, it's a hostile takeover from Uptown.

The "renovated" Serious Pizza has all the ambience of a Denny's. The other restaurants/bars owned by the same company serve up canned music and cardboard food to plastic people.

The ultimate insult is The Stack. As another poster said it so well, from up close you realize it's just like a movie set. If you've ever been to Universal Studios in Orlando it's just like the buildings there. I get to stare out my windows at a 100 foot tall blank white wall.

So much for the historic district.

alkilo

Postby alkilo » 26 Feb 2021 18:33

Hannibal Lecter wrote:^ It's not comeback, it's a hostile takeover from Uptown.

The "renovated" Serious Pizza has all the ambience of a Denny's. The other restaurants/bars owned by the same company serve up canned music and cardboard food to plastic people.

The ultimate insult is The Stack. As another poster said it so well, from up close you realize it's just like a movie set. If you've ever been to Universal Studios in Orlando it's just like the buildings there. I get to stare out my windows at a 100 foot tall blank white wall.

Cities evolve and grow, or they remain stagnant and got backwards, like Detroit. The introduction to new office buildings and new restaurants means more jobs, money and influx of people. Growth.

LPG

Postby LPG » 26 Feb 2021 20:39

alkilo wrote:

Cities evolve and grow, or they remain stagnant and got backwards, like Detroit. The introduction to new office buildings and new restaurants means more jobs, money and influx of people. Growth.

To mourn the loss of an establishment that has been co-opted by a restaurant group is one thing; Milkshake Concepts value to the neighborhood is definitely debatable. To complain about an office building and parking garage, while complaining about a lack of parking, that replaced a surface lot is next level ‘Old man yells at clouds’.

With that being said, The Stack is interesting. Terrible from afar, aesthetically, but the street level interaction and the public utility of available parking should be good for the neighborhood.

But, hey, NIMBY.

Dallas Gypsy

Postby Dallas Gypsy » 28 Feb 2021 05:00

This is Dallas. Dallas doesn't care about history. That's why they demolish everything to build speculative developments.

Dallas Gypsy

Postby Dallas Gypsy » 28 Feb 2021 05:03

clcrash19 wrote:you guys think deep ellum will only come back stronger? Seems to be a lot of things opening up right now

It will come back. Stronger? Well, I suppose since everyone is fleeing other failed states like California to Texas. I think there will be a short-term boom in the economy as the Fed continues QE. But, it will be short-lived.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 19 Mar 2021 21:43

It looks like the Westdale (think its Westdale) project across from the Epic on Elm started back up. Looking forward to the progress of this project.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 19 Mar 2021 22:53

dd_dweller wrote:It looks like the Westdale (think its Westdale) project across from the Epic on Elm started back up. Looking forward to the progress of this project.

What’s that project supposed to be?

dbent

Postby dbent » 22 Mar 2021 23:05

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 23 Mar 2021 07:55

That's at Canton and Crowdus. undefined was asking about the work across Elm from the Epic. It's a row of old 2 story buildings they've been gutting and doing foundation work on for a while. I've never seen an article with specifics about their plans for those buildings but I'm glad they're saving them.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Mar 2021 08:58

undefinedprocess wrote:
dd_dweller wrote:It looks like the Westdale (think its Westdale) project across from the Epic on Elm started back up. Looking forward to the progress of this project.

I think they are referring to "Good E":
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ghborhood/

I'm really looking forward to this one coming to fruition. I think this, in addition to The Epic being done and East Quarter coming along will help create a bit more cohesiveness in this area. It'll still be hard given that I-345 runs through this area, but it's becoming less and less of a barrier.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 23 Mar 2021 10:26

DPatel304 wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:

I'm really looking forward to this one coming to fruition. I think this, in addition to The Epic being done and East Quarter coming along will help create a bit more cohesiveness in this area. It'll still be hard given that I-345 runs through this area, but it's becoming less and less of a barrier.

Don't think I remember seeing this rendering.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 23 Mar 2021 10:36

There was talk of moving forward without the office space above. That could be why there was a pause on work.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 23 Mar 2021 12:30

I like this too, even better than GoodE or whatever. Thanks for posting dbent.

dbent

Postby dbent » 23 Mar 2021 15:37

LongonBigD wrote:

I like this too, even better than GoodE or whatever. Thanks for posting dbent.

LongonBigD, this link has a few more renders at different angles https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... -rise.html

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 23 Mar 2021 17:51

All of these look great!. Great catches everyone. Love the repurposing of Good E.
And the new Canton/Crowdus tower will be 17 stories tall?
Thats Case Building Height. Im sure some people wont be too happy about that!

willyk

Postby willyk » 24 Mar 2021 04:44

Tnexster wrote:
DPatel304 wrote:
undefinedprocess wrote:What’s that project supposed to be?

Don't think I remember seeing this rendering.

This just seems like a wise move by Westsale to capture the value that the Epic will create in adjacent buildings. When the Epic is done, the adjacent derelict properties will become viable again. Rather than give those owners a windfall, Westdale is redeveloping those properties in a way that compliments the Epic.

willyk

Postby willyk » 09 Apr 2021 23:10

Cheapsteaks, a casual steakhouse and music venue inspired by Char Bar, is coming to Deep Ellum this summer

Biehler says they are still choosing vendors for food and booze. But he promises that the steaks will be high quality, modestly priced, and served quickly. Myers says it was an idea he wanted to explore at the Free Man, but his kitchen just isn’t equipped for steaks.

Located at 2613 Elm Street, formerly home to Stonedeck Pizza, Cheapsteaks will have a stage with dinner music for diners inside. Expect jazz standards and lounge singers. But the patio is being expanded for another stage, a second bar, and room for a few hundred people. This stage will host rock music similar to what was booked at The Foundry.

And there might be even more. Myers says they are also eyeing the property next door, which used to be a Subway. This would add yet another bar and stage to Cheapsteaks, for even more live music and private events. Myers is not sure if the other space would also open this summer or down the road.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... is-summer/

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 11 Apr 2021 22:47

Includes a great slideshow, with many historical pictures I've never seen before.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... uture.html

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 14 Apr 2021 00:05

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Includes a great slideshow, with many historical pictures I've never seen before.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... uture.html

Anyway to sneek a peek behind the paywall?
The only ones visible are the cover images.

LPG

Postby LPG » 14 Apr 2021 13:35

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 14 Apr 2021 15:52

Great location!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 14 Apr 2021 17:51

Tacos, good luck. They'll have some very stiff competition!

Food aside, great design.

dzh

Postby dzh » 14 Apr 2021 22:40

The Federales in Chicago is kind of a party bar. So it's going to be interesting to watch and see if them opening in this particular part of Deep Ellum...will lead to other bars opening around it.

LPG

Postby LPG » 15 Apr 2021 06:39

dzh wrote:The Federales in Chicago is kind of a party bar. So it's going to be interesting to watch and see if them opening in this particular part of Deep Ellum...will lead to other bars opening around it.

Yea, I’d be curious to see if somewhere like Happy Camper, Big Star or Parlor look at Deep Ellum. Given Sterling Bay’s investment in the neighborhood, a different concept by 4C would make sense, too.

With the impending opening of Blum, Sporting Club & Citizen, plus Vice Park and Bottled Blonde, on Good Lattimer it should be interesting to see what the character of the core of Deep Ellum looks like ~18 months from now.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 15 Apr 2021 09:27

LPG wrote:With the impending opening of Blum, Sporting Club & Citizen, plus Vice Park and Bottled Blonde, on Good Lattimer it should be interesting to see what the character of the core of Deep Ellum looks like ~18 months from now.

I'm wondering this too. I hope it doesn't follow the 'boom/bust' cycle that other hot spots seem to have gone through in the past. First it was Deep Ellum, then Lower Greenville, then Uptown, and now possibly the 'core' of Deep Ellum again?

I'm hoping it's different this time. Seems like Deep Ellum is on its way to having more activity throughout the week, rather than just being a party destination. I'm hoping we'll start to see more residential pop up here, in the East Quarter, and the Farmer's Market area so the area can better sustain itself on people living nearby.

thelivingworld

Postby thelivingworld » 15 Apr 2021 12:52

LPG wrote:
dzh wrote:The Federales in Chicago is kind of a party bar. So it's going to be interesting to watch and see if them opening in this particular part of Deep Ellum...will lead to other bars opening around it.

Yea, I’d be curious to see if somewhere like Happy Camper, Big Star or Parlor look at Deep Ellum. Given Sterling Bay’s investment in the neighborhood, a different concept by 4C would make sense, too.

With the impending opening of Blum, Sporting Club & Citizen, plus Vice Park and Bottled Blonde, on Good Lattimer it should be interesting to see what the character of the core of Deep Ellum looks like ~18 months from now.

You need an SUP to operate in Deep Ellum. The Deep Ellum PD however only extends as far north as the rail line. I'm sure the Deep Ellum foundation will look to try to get city council to extend the PD north along Good-Latimer if these bars become an issue.

The late night overlay initiative to extend citywide and create the mechanism to create zones where SUPs would be required to operate after midnight failed CPC and city council in 2017-2018. That was the crux of the issue is that it was citywide. This brought out the entire hospitality industry and none of the neighborhoods in support of it, because it wasn't specific to a neighborhood. I wouldn't have supported it either, though there did seem to be some misinformation about what it was going to be. I didn't live in Dallas back then. Apparently the Deep Ellum PD killed Deep Ellum for 5-7 years so that was the fear, though with the Greenville avenue one fixed some of those issues.

When your bar/restaurant is now longer in the hot zone it becomes a race to the bottom, drink specials and turning a blind eye to bad behavior become the norm.
Last edited by thelivingworld on 27 Apr 2021 13:25, edited 2 times in total.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 25 Apr 2021 00:06

^^^ I didn’t know they were going to demolish buildings. I thought it was suppose to be a renovation/repurpose of some sort.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 25 Apr 2021 10:29

Warrior2020 wrote:https://www.centraltrack.com/demolition-is-underway-at-deep-ellum-venue-the-door/

Why? For what? Could they have at least saved the facades? What exactly is going in here since the article only mentions a "mini mall?"

So many questions. This is really puzzling and unexpected.