Deep Ellum 1.0

Hannibal Lecter

Re: Deep Ellum 1.0

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 11 Jan 2018 11:34

lakewoodhobo wrote:It shows that, from a branding perspective at least, names like "Trinity", "Bishop" and "Deep Ellum" are emblematic of Dallas. I don't think "Uptown" or "Design District" have the same weight.

Ironically the Deep Ellum Bar is in Boston. So popular that it used to come up #1 on Google if you searched for "Deep Ellum". And yes, it's named after our little 'hood. :-)

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 11 Jan 2018 11:39

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Deep ellum needs an arcade.

B4 has around 8 pinball machines in the back. The owner is looking at staying open late on Friday and Saturday and charging a cover for unlimited play. He's trying to talk me out of my Twilight Zone pin because the curio shop theme matches his store, but it's not going anywhere. :-)

The Pharmacy has a couple pinball machines, a video game and Skee Ball.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Jan 2018 11:47

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:It shows that, from a branding perspective at least, names like "Trinity", "Bishop" and "Deep Ellum" are emblematic of Dallas. I don't think "Uptown" or "Design District" have the same weight.

Waiting on a Pegasus Brewing Co. though.

There's already something similar: Pegasus City Brewing. They're in the Design District

https://www.pegasuscitybrewery.com/

I had completely forgotten about it, and thanks for reminding me. Great use of the Pegasus inside the letter D.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Jan 2018 12:13

Hannibal Lecter wrote:

Ironically the Deep Ellum Bar is in Boston. So popular that it used to come up #1 on Google if you searched for "Deep Ellum". And yes, it's named after our little 'hood. :-)

A friend of mine who moved to Boston told me about this bar. I heard the owners are from Dallas, so that's actually pretty cool to see.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Jan 2018 13:04

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Deep ellum needs an arcade.

B4 has around 8 pinball machines in the back. The owner is looking at staying open late on Friday and Saturday and charging a cover for unlimited play. He's trying to talk me out of my Twilight Zone pin because the curio shop theme matches his store, but it's not going anywhere. :-)

The Pharmacy has a couple pinball machines, a video game and Skee Ball.

That's cool. I knw Dallas' has cidercade (retro games and ciders).

Richardson has freeplay which is similar to the concept u mentioned.

I love these arcade concepts

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 23 Jan 2018 15:06

Dallas' Deep Ellum is getting another rental community, with 336 apartments

Dallas-based Stillwater Capital is building the 336-unit project on Hall Street just east of Baylor Scott & White Medical Center. The 5-story development is going up on about four acres of land previously occupied by old industrial buildings.

Called The Crosby, the new apartment community will include a 3,000-square-foot shared office space, rooftop deck and lounge, fitness center and a dog park.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/real-estate/2018/01/23/dallas-deep-ellum-district-getting-another-rental-community

eburress

Postby eburress » 23 Jan 2018 15:23

I like it, and how so many of these new Deep Ellum developments are maintaining the "industrial" look of the neighborhood.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Jan 2018 15:23

Dallas-based Stillwater Capital is building the 336-unit project on Hall Street just east of Baylor Scott & White Medical Center.

Based on the address in the rendering, this would be east of Deep Ellum Brewing Company, not Baylor Medical Center.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 26 Jan 2018 17:06

^ Crane went up yesterday.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 Jan 2018 14:51

If you read the Dallas Morning News frequently you learn their idea of relvant landmarks that the public can picture in their mind are quite different than ours. You would think pointing this is next door to I-30 would be better than Baylor but hey they went to journalism school not I.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Feb 2018 13:22

THE BEST NEIGHBORHOODS IN AMERICA TO SPEND A WEEKEND
Dallas: Deep Ellum
Chicago: Logan Square
Las Vegas: Downtown Vegas
New Orleans: Bywater
Portland: NW District/Nob Hill/Alphabet District
Boise: Downtown
Los Angeles: Los Feliz
Pittsburgh: Lawrenceville
San Diego: Ocean Beach
Orlando: Winter Park
Brooklyn: Crown Heights/Prospect Heights
Charlotte: Plaza Midwood

You’ll find something new on every corner in this little section of Dallas

This tiny section of Dallas has been a hotbed for live music since the 1920s, when jazz and blues dominated deep down Elm Street. (Fun fact: The name comes from people saying “Deep Elm” which turned into Deep Ellum.) This district has produced the Butthole Surfers, the Old 97's, the Toadies, and Tripping Daisy -- you never when a local act is a national act waiting to pop. It has a way of creating living legends, like tattoo artist and Ink Master judge Oliver Peck. Or the late Jeanne Blanton, a charming, flashy Southern Belle with a reputation for tipping bartenders and musicians hundreds of dollars for a drink.

You’ll get vibes of Austin’s Sixth Street and NOLA’s Bourbon Street, but Deep Ellum pulses with a sense of possibility truly its own. You might start your night watching a band at a grungy bar that serves $2.50 cans of Lone Star, wind up at a nightclub pretending you know how to dance to bachata, and finish the night with a crepe filled with chorizo, Cheddar cheese, bacon, and jalapeños. Or you might brunch at one of Deep Ellum’s epic weekend haunts, only to realize that sitting across the restaurant from you is Erykah Badu. Then you’ll blink, and she won’t be there anymore, and you’ll wonder if you just saw a mirage or if it really was the Godmother of Soul. Along the way you’ll trip past some of the most Instagram-worthy wall murals you’ve ever seen and another half-dozen Snapchat-worthy late-night street performers. -- Jesus Jimenez

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation ... in-america

I don't really look at thrillist all that much, but I do know it's a pretty popular site, and this is not a bad list to be on. Dallas has made great strides in the past decade or so, but it's still struggled with how people perceive the city. I know some list of cool neighborhoods probably doesn't mean a whole lot, but it certainly helps create a more positive perception of the city.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Feb 2018 13:34

I thought the Butthole Surfers came out of Austin. I never saw them in Austin when I lived there, but I did see the Jackofficers, I can remember a couple times....

Cmacemm

Postby Cmacemm » 12 Feb 2018 21:36

They are actually from San Antonio but members were from dallas and Fort Worth

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 Feb 2018 09:38

I was curious about other bands rising to popularity in Deep Ellum and search engineed this Observer article:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/an- ... ne-6425952

An Oral History of the Dallas Music Scene
PETE FREEDMAN | OCTOBER 13, 2011

In 1987, New York City-based Island Records released a compilation album called The Sound of Deep Ellum, highlighting bands that regularly played the neighborhood. Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians led the charge, followed closely behind by bands such as Course of Empire, Shallow Reign and Three on a Hill. The Toadies had just formed. Tripping Daisy and Funland were in their early stages. Their members played in other bands, but Centro-matic and the Old 97's were still a few years off. Erykah Badu was in college. Sarah Jaffe was a toddler.

It's fun for me to remember that I was acquainted with some of these musicians, especially if Denton was part of the history. Good Times.

Things are lining up in place for an art and music scene from Dallas to reach deeper into the consideration set from much of the rest of the country. In the 90s when all those bands were getting signed by big labels and just getting so popular, I remember KNON was really sounding good with a couple shows playing local (Texas) Latin Hip-hop. I think Selena and that whole side of Tejano Music pushed the Latin Hip Hop out, but I've been waiting for the sound to congeal again and build a whole new stage. We'll see.

Certainly though, the residential population is finally coming to Deep Ellum, and the transformation has the chance to cause as great or greater impact on the region than any other large neighborhood gentrification or suburban v1-v2-v3 powerhouse. It's been almost three generations since the museums started moving to the CBD and the Arts District was born. Since then a solid foundation was poured and Dallas is actually sticking as an destination.

It's time for the party to really come back in Deep Ellum.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Feb 2018 10:30

Last I heard the party is back in Deep Ellum but it's not the party that everyone wants to see. Sounds like things are getting too boozy and is only upstaged by McKinney Ave venues some nights. The residential can help create a balance but we will see cause McKinney Ave is fighting its own battles of residents vs bars/clubs.

I am happy to see travel articles being written about the area again cause there is stuff to see in Deep Ellum during the day now.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 13 Feb 2018 10:46

Too boozy is not always bad... needs proper management for sure, but 'cracking down' on the undesirable behavior creates the extreme examples no one really wants. People need a place where they can let loose, it's normal when it's occasional and it's going to happen whether it's allowed and guarded or illegal and patrolled.

The heart of Deep Ellum, that part bought up by a one (maybe a handful) of developers being renovated and promised to live on as the low rise service and warehouse structures they were initially needs to stretch along Elm, Main and Commerce to Exposition hook a right to Fair Park. This is Dallas' French Quarter and it needs to be cultured and maintained for late night revelry and indulgence.

The appeal of a vintage streetcar circular has some usefulness as a transportation alternative for sure, but in a town like Dallas, the investment really pays of with the economic impact such a novelty provides. The tourist cache and novelty of McKinney Avenue Vintage Streetcars has more than paid off for that part of town. While all the focus right now is getting MATA and OCTA to hook-up in the CBD, the actual critical streetcar extension is from Union Station to the Fair Park Esplanade.

Zoning firmly in place that allows drunken parties will ensure the neighborhood's residential population parallels the requirements of a retail & entertainment destination based upon the skills of musicians and artists.

willyk

Postby willyk » 16 Feb 2018 19:48

I don’t want to sound like Pollyanna, but first Greenville evolved from boozy to more balance between bars and residents. The same is happening now on McKinney Ave. So it’s time for the party scene to move, now to Deep Ellum. This will hold until we get more residential there, and then the residents will start complaining. Next stop— Riverfront? Singleton? Cedars?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 07 Mar 2018 11:06

Rum, Mezcal and Mexican Food — Armoury D.E. Team to Open an Eatery in the Old Luscher's
The team behind Armoury D.E. is opening its second restaurant in the same neighborhood that’s already shown them some love.

Peter Novotny and Dan Murry plan to open Ruins in April, taking the former Luscher’s Red Hots restaurant on Commerce Street and adding on the adjacent space.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/restauran ... 1-10419376

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 07 Mar 2018 12:12

DPatel304 wrote:
Rum, Mezcal and Mexican Food — Armoury D.E. Team to Open an Eatery in the Old Luscher's
The team behind Armoury D.E. is opening its second restaurant in the same neighborhood that’s already shown them some love.

Peter Novotny and Dan Murry plan to open Ruins in April, taking the former Luscher’s Red Hots restaurant on Commerce Street and adding on the adjacent space.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/restauran ... 1-10419376

Very excited about this spot. Armoury D.E. is pretty awesome. Good vibe, food is great.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 22 Mar 2018 17:08

A great vintage brick building in Deep Ellum that's been empty for a few years will soon be home to a new Mexican restaurant. Called Vidorra, it's from Milkshake Concepts, and will open in late spring at 2642 Main St.

The building was most recently home to The Ruby Room, a short-lived bar that took over from what was previously the kinda sketchy Club Hush. The space is notable for its broad patio with unfettered views of the surroundings and downtown Dallas.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... eep-ellum/

Another restaurant coming to Deep Ellum.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 22 Mar 2018 19:40

The hostel seems to be getting ready to open as they have posted a Craigslist ad looking for front desk help. It will include 14 rooms and a bar. I wish them plenty of success and look forward to trying the bar and meeting visitors from around the world!

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/fbh/d ... 44286.html

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 22 Mar 2018 19:47

Matt777 wrote:The hostel seems to be getting ready to open as they have posted a Craigslist ad looking for front desk help. It will include 14 rooms and a bar. I wish them plenty of success and look forward to trying the bar and meeting visitors from around the world!

HostelWorld.com is the #1 hostel site in the world. If it's not there; these guys are doing it wrong.

I just checked.. it's not. Fail.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 23 Mar 2018 08:28

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Matt777 wrote:The hostel seems to be getting ready to open as they have posted a Craigslist ad looking for front desk help. It will include 14 rooms and a bar. I wish them plenty of success and look forward to trying the bar and meeting visitors from around the world!

HostelWorld.com is the #1 hostel site in the world. If it's not there; these guys are doing it wrong.

I just checked.. it's not. Fail.

I don't think they're at that point yet. They don't even have a website of their own up yet much less tied into Hostelworld. I'm sure they'll be up there.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 23 Mar 2018 09:03

Here are renderings I found on Facebook. I hadn't seen these before:

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Mar 2018 09:59

Looks great. This is a small nitpick, but I'm surprised the roofop area faces Crowdus street. I hate going out at places like Deep Ellum, 6th Street, and Bourban street, but love being able to hang out on a rooftop and just people watch. All rooftops that face Elm St. get crazy busy, so this would have been a rare opportunity to have somewhat of an 'exlusive' rooftop facing Elm.

Like I said though, it's a small nitpick, this is an awesome addition to the neighborhood. Deep Ellum is becoming quite the destination nationally and possibly even internationally. It's a shame that nothing is going on with Fair Park because this would be a good time for Fair Park to make some changes and feed off the tourism that Deep Ellum is sure to bring in.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 23 Mar 2018 11:20

Vidorra looks very cool! There are a handful of existing/soon-to-open Latin American spots across Deep Ellum, so it'll be curious to see how they all hold up over time. Love it!

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 23 Mar 2018 12:34

That hostel looks nice. I know DE is pretty active at night, but does anyone know what it's like during the daytime on weekdays right now? I wonder how having a hostel will change daytime activity.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Mar 2018 13:16

Considering it's not a 300 room hotel it won't make too much of an impact. I have been there a few times during the day and the restaurants keep a healthy daytime business going. The street parking is usually pretty full and there is always people on bikes riding around more frequently than in the dead end Deep Ellum days. CBD employees frequently go to Deep Ellum as well via Uber or Frogs.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 26 Mar 2018 13:36

The hostel looks almost ready to open.

IMG_5772.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 27 Mar 2018 12:45

Pleasant surprise on the former Lula B's building. Looks like they're opening up with windows facing Main.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 27 Mar 2018 13:02

That's a pretty large space, so whatever takes its place will make quite an impact on the area. Main Street seems to be pretty lively these days, so whatever opens here should do well and bring even more activity to the area.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 27 Mar 2018 13:58

mdg109 wrote:Pleasant surprise on the former Lula B's building. Looks like they're opening up with windows facing Main.

I hope that something along the lines of Lula B's takes its place. Deep Ellum could use some more shopping options. It would diversify the area from being just about bars/dining and also add daytime foot traffic. This area is prime for "cool" clothing, furniture, art, and novelty retailers.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Mar 2018 15:51

You just have to look at the retail plan they posted online when they started the project. The original plan included a mix of shopping and restaurants. Last I heard they were having a hard time talking retail into an opening in the spaces they are shelling out. Mostly because Deep Ellum just is not seen yet as a retail spot. Bishop Arts has had its back and fourth issue with shopping vs restaurant in Dallas as well.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 27 Mar 2018 19:35

In the 90s, I believe a handful of hometown clothing designers had stores in Deep Ellum, one in Fair Park. That would be nice have back. Isn't there one or more designers making it in West Village?

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 06 Apr 2018 17:07

Interesting flashback from 1989.

Flashback, 1989: Architecture critic says Deep Ellum's future is 'as a mixed urban neighborhood'
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/from-th ... ighborhood

Deep Ellum's future is as a mixed urban neighborhood. That part of the early hype was on target. It is surrounded by freeways and sky-scrapers, and has a chance for a street life, a night life, a rooftop life, a cultural life. The freeways help give it boundaries and definition, and the views into the area from the off-ramps could be spectacular. If the recession eases but doesn't go away entirely, Deep Ellum has a chance to be more than a transition zone between two worlds.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 06 Apr 2018 18:22

There's some photos on this website of the interior progress on Deep Ellum Hostel:
https://www.yooying.com/deepellumhostel

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 09 Apr 2018 19:12

We now have 7 cranes in Deep Ellum!

The Epic - 2 cranes (down 1)

Texas A&M Dental School - 2 cranes

The Gabrielle - 1 crane

The Crosby - 1 crane

Crescent Deep Ellum - 1 crane

ImageDeep Ellum Cranes by Thymant, on Flickr

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 09 Apr 2018 19:31

nice!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Apr 2018 09:38

Which apartment project is The Gabrielle and which one is the Crosby. A googling to straighten me out did not help.

Thymant

Postby Thymant » 10 Apr 2018 10:00

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Which apartment project is The Gabrielle and which one is the Crosby. A googling to straighten me out did not help.

The Gabrielle is the Tom Thumb apartment project by greystar and The Crosby is the 5 story apartment project by Stillwater Capital.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 10 Apr 2018 23:10

The Gabrielle (first time I've heard it called that) now has two cranes.

maconahey

Postby maconahey » 27 Apr 2018 16:52

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 27 Apr 2018 17:20

Big weekend tonight for DE, looks like Ruins the new bar in the old Luscher's spot is opening, as well as Warstic opening a temporary shop and the Deep Ellum hostel opening as well on elm st. Combine that with two sold out Jack White shows, excited weekend over in that neighborhood

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 27 Apr 2018 18:33

I'm actually headed to Deep Ellum tomorrow and was planning on checking out Ruins. I rarely go down to Deep Ellum these days on the weekends, but since this place is brand new and also on Commerce, I feel like it should be more on the quieter side (hopefully). I didn't realize the Hostel was opening so soon, that'll be cool.

Also thanks for the heads up on the Jack White show, that might mean the area is more crowded than usual, but, fortunately, I'll be there on Sat night and it looks like Jack White is performing on Fri and Sun.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 27 Apr 2018 19:27

I'm excited about the hostel but still can't find a website or way to book rooms.... Maybe they are doing a soft opening for awhile to iron out kinks before going public with bookings?

willyk

Postby willyk » 09 May 2018 22:44

Is it possible that DE is turning into something unique? I have always thought of it as the Dallas version of a typical urban Bohemian neighborhood. But I have brought visitors from all of the country there and asked them what neighborhood from their city does it emulate?—New York, Boston, Chicago, San Fransisco, etc.—they all say that is DE is different from anything they have. Really?!

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 09 May 2018 23:40

willyk wrote:Is it possible that DE is turning into something unique? I have always thought of it as the Dallas version of a typical urban Bohemian neighborhood. But I have brought visitors from all of the country there and asked them what neighborhood from their city does it emulate?—New York, Boston, Chicago, San Fransisco, etc.—they all say that is DE is different from anything they have. Really?!

Friends from San Francisco LOVED Deep Ellum and said it was the most enjoyable nightlife scene they had seen in awhile. It really upset my friend from Austin. Deep Ellum should be on every Dallas visitor's list of places to experience.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 May 2018 20:57

maconahey wrote:Image

Which one is this? Drove by it today and didn't see a sign. Looks residential but don't recall seeing a rendering.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 10 May 2018 21:47

People at work were raving about how Deep Ellum is the hot place in town and that Uptown is cooling down.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 10 May 2018 21:49

I wish the parking lot at Elm/Main and Malcolm X would be developed. Even if a cool public space.
A year round skate park with half-pipes should be built somewhere in Deep Ellum. That place would be packed and a great spot to people watch and be entertained.