2913 Fairmount

kingpin

2913 Fairmount

Postby kingpin » 03 Dec 2019 23:55

https://candysdirt.com/2019/12/03/oak-lawn-committee-sees-west-village-hilton-apartments-and-office-with-surprise/

The project at 2913 Fairmount is a 13-story office building with a little ground-floor retail at the intersection with Cedar Springs Road. Yawn, right? How about building on only 63 percent of the lot to create some good green space? No? What if I told you it had 100 percent underground parking on six levels? Still no? What if I threw in a 13th-floor penthouse entertainment space with fab indoor/outdoor skyline views?

Getting warmer?

OK, OK. How about if one floor from the top was the owner’s personal residence. That’s a pretty trick, right? Especially when the owner’s personal office will be there, too. We’re talking live, work and play all in the same building. The only downside is you’d never get a snow day.

Live, Work, Play on Cedar Springs
In the (lifeless) rendering above, you can see the full-wrap of penthouse terrace and the corner patios for the owner’s residence. I can imagine a well-lit pair of upper floors calling attention here. The ground level reveals the green space with parking and driveway space off of Cedar Springs Road. While that appears to take some heat off Cedar Springs, it really doesn’t as the Fairmount intersection is more “X” than “+”. This places the entrance at an odd angle to Cedar Springs. But this stretch is a series of oddly angled intersections due to a curvaceous section of Cedar Springs.

And the immediate area is HOT with development. Across Cedar Springs are the pair of Quadrangle projects containing four high-rises (here, here). Two blocks towards downtown are the 400-foot Granite high-rise, and even Crescent is remodeling their office building into multi-use a block away. So while the plot is zoned for 120 feet in height, the developer is asking for 210 feet.

In exchange for the added height and FAR, they’re giving underground parking, less lot coverage, and wider sidewalks. It’s too bad with all this development that there wasn’t a subway stop nearby to alleviate some traffic. Oh, that’s right, Dallas doesn’t have one. Thankfully, this over-parked building offers 53 surplus spaces to house the cars Dallas should be working to reduce, not increase.

Mr. Amsterdam

Re: 2913 Fairmount

Postby Mr. Amsterdam » 04 Dec 2019 04:07

Oogly AF
1999 - 2017

eburress

Postby eburress » 04 Dec 2019 06:18

I like it! I wish the building was arranged differently on the lot but I like its '60s aesthetic.

dzh

Postby dzh » 04 Dec 2019 07:03

Can someone explain to me why Candy is happy about the only 63% lot coverage? Wouldn't we want more lot coverage if they built more retail, or at least wouldn't we want the building to be closer to the sidewalk in order to further engage with the neighborhood...

I'm sorry if this post doesn't make sense...just kind of confused here

eburress

Postby eburress » 04 Dec 2019 09:31

I don't get that either. It sounds like she likes the idea of open space, like it's a park or something, but the building's "open" space is all driveways and ramps.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 04 Dec 2019 09:33

When will the city start asking developers to reduce curb cutouts for driveways?