Uptown: AC & Moxy Hotel Project / Oak Grove & Hall

Kelley USA

Uptown: AC & Moxy Hotel Project / Oak Grove & Hall

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Nov 2019 09:17

Another day another hotel story...

An Austin developer is proposing a dual branded 19 story Hilton Hotel at Oak Grove & Hall Street. The 2 new brands by Hilton would be Motto and Spark.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... wn-dallas/
Last edited by Kelley USA on 19 Jan 2023 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

mwaskow

Re: Uptown: Dual Brand Hilton Tower / Oak Grove & Hall

Postby mwaskow » 12 Nov 2019 09:23

Reminds of The Ascent in VP.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 12 Nov 2019 10:00

Never heard of these brands. Anyone have experience with them?

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 12 Nov 2019 10:12

so odd. I work in the luxury travel industry and am usually very up on new hotel brands, especially when they're under the big names. But it's a sign of the times--every hotel brand on Earth is frantically conducting loads of market research to figure out what young Millennials and Gen Z want out of hotels.

My prediction is that this hotel will have tiny, bare-bones rooms (at least in terms of amenities), no room service, no restaurants (but a couple of bars), several streaming services built into the room TVs, and very photogenic common areas. 'Tis the trend.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 12 Nov 2019 10:15

....and I just Googled Hilton Motto:

"The City Stay, Solved. All the things you want in a hotel without the typical hotel fuss. Motto offers a social common space and thoughtfully efficient rooms..."

...so I'm pretty sure I nailed it. :lol: :lol: Marriott's version of this concept is called Moxy. And for what it's worth, I was invited to the opening of the Moxy in Chelsea last year, and I really, really enjoyed my stay. Was nice not to pretend that I'm going to eat at the hotel's restaurant when I'm staying right in the middle of Chelsea, and even though it still technically is a chain hotel, the decor felt more boutique and special. This is probably the best location for this sort of thing.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 12 Nov 2019 10:53

Not sure how this compares in price to the Hilton Canopy at West Village, but it should be a nice alternative to that and the Intercontinental once it opens across Central Expressway.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 12 Nov 2019 10:54

I guess the Dream Hotel will only be a dream. lol

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Nov 2019 11:03

Wow, hotel week gets even bigger!

R1070

Postby R1070 » 12 Nov 2019 11:22

I think a Moxy would do well in Oak Lawn. There needs to be more options than just the Melrose.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 12 Nov 2019 11:58

R1070 wrote:I think a Moxy would do well in Oak Lawn. There needs to be more options than just the Melrose.

Don't forget that the Feizy Center is becoming a Tru by Hilton. Technically in the Design District but it's closer to Oak Lawn than the Marriott Uptown is.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 12 Nov 2019 12:05

Wish this was a block over at Mckinney/Hall.

Kelley USA

Postby Kelley USA » 12 Nov 2019 12:10

I don't totally hate the design... If this moves ahead it'll be nice to see this and the new Central Market development going up in that area.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 12 Nov 2019 13:23

Yea would also love to see that dinky house / apartment brokerage building + surface lot across from Primo's developed.

eburress

Postby eburress » 12 Nov 2019 14:32

jetnd87 wrote:Yea would also love to see that dinky house / apartment brokerage building + surface lot across from Primo's developed.

Surely it's only a matter of time before they are.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 12 Nov 2019 14:37

https://candysdirt.com/2019/11/12/oak-lawn-committee-sees-dream-hotel-spark-another-hotel/

Oak Lawn Committee Sees Dream Hotel Spark Another Hotel

Hilton proposed at Hall Street, Oak Grove and Noble

No, you’re not reading tomorrow’s newspaper. District 14 council member David Blewett is holding a first community meeting as part of an authorized hearing involving the zoning surrounding the Arts District. I figured you’d want me to be there, so here we are.

There are four projects on tonight’s agenda – two new and two repeats. Let’s begin with the new. Above is a proposed Hilton Hotel on the end of the block bounded by Hall Street, Noble, and Oak Grove (a couple of blocks towards Central from Breadwinners). No, you’re not dreaming, that the location of the never-built Dream Hotel approved back in 2015. But it’s not just a Hilton, it’s two of Hilton’s 17 branded property types – Motto and Spark – both operating in the building. While “spark” might conjure up images of pacemakers at work, both Spark and Motto will target the same Millennials the Dream envisioned (as single-word “app style” names do).

What’s the difference between Spark and Motto? About $20 a night.

Sidenote: Am I alone in seeing hotels like the U.S. automakers of old? You remember. When GM sold Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and Saturns to appeal to different buyers who were more interested in better quality? Fewer sub-brands with a consistent experience should always be the goal. We shouldn’t have to pick a new trendy name just to better the odds there’ll be a newer mattress or carpet you don’t need antibiotics to walk on. Anyway…

They’re saying it’s most comparable to (another) Hilton brand called Canopy located blocks away – and from an architectural blandness perspective, they’re right (although Canopy has a great rooftop bar which seems to be repeated here). You’re not alone in thinking this bland, cookie-cutter building, designed by Merriman Anderson, screams neither “young” nor “hip”– of course, this rendering’s Soviet gray skin isn’t helping.

It’s typical Hilton, reminiscent of their New York Midtown property, with a recessed glass ground floor for hotel operations and restaurants that are being “held down” by a two-story muffin-top of a parking garage (that’s only enclosed on two sides). The muffin top’s top is the hotel’s amenity deck which will be the subject of noise complaints from the adjacent, quite spendy townhouses.

The hotel is a combination of 15 and 19 story elements that’ll house 121 rooms (Spark) and 196 rooms (Motto). Either way, there will be just 76 parking spaces for 317 rooms (current zoning would require 300 parking spaces). For comparison, the Dream had been approved for 264 rooms.

Since the restaurant is proposed at 2,200 square feet and the meeting space just 1,350, this isn’t a convention or wedding venue that would attract event-driven traffic. I’m on the fence about diminished parking in commercial spaces like this. In a residential building, if there’s no parking you don’t buy/lease. But in a hotel, you don’t know until you arrive. There’s a planned agreement with 3232 McKinney for overflow, so that alleviates some anxiety.

On the upside, there will be wider sidewalks, buried power lines and lower lot coverage. It’s also three stories shorter than it’s zoned for. There’s not much difference from the numbers approved for the Dream – although enough to illustrate that projects grow with the economics of time.

But I would like to see a less bland exterior with the muffin-top parking garage moved out of sight. Oh, and maybe for Hilton to have just five brands delivering consistently clean carpet and fluffy pillows.

jetnd87

Postby jetnd87 » 12 Nov 2019 14:59

So if this is going into the plot of land at Noble and Hall, what is the empty land + other vacant building (next to Hopdoddy, across McKinney from McKinney Avenue Trolley Apartments)?

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 13 Nov 2019 06:40

Motto is one of Hilton's newest brands. Spark is not listed on their website, but according to a bit more digging, Hilton has been testing aspects of Spark at various Doubletree properties in other cities (not here). They don't come out and say that any or all of those Doubletree hotels will flip to become Spark properties, nor what the future of the "concepts" of Spark will be. Apparently it's so new, that the development pipeline and the web-IT department at Hilton corporate have not chatted or updated themselves yet. I'm not sure why Doubletree properties were used as a testing-ground of sorts, but obviously somebody in the ivory towers thinks they know what they're doing. I was a bit surprised about this news, as there's been little-to-nothing in the hotel press up to now about Motto development activity, and no announcements or whispers about Spark before now. It does look like that not only Hilton and Marriott are looking at brand expansion towards the millenials and whippersnappers, but also possibly Hyatt (who recently bought out Thompson Hotels) and even others. As previously brought up, it should be interesting how much noise-complaint activity this complex may bring.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 13 Nov 2019 11:18

itsjrd1964 wrote:Motto is one of Hilton's newest brands. Spark is not listed on their website, but according to a bit more digging, Hilton has been testing aspects of Spark at various Doubletree properties in other cities (not here). They don't come out and say that any or all of those Doubletree hotels will flip to become Spark properties, nor what the future of the "concepts" of Spark will be. Apparently it's so new, that the development pipeline and the web-IT department at Hilton corporate have not chatted or updated themselves yet. I'm not sure why Doubletree properties were used as a testing-ground of sorts, but obviously somebody in the ivory towers thinks they know what they're doing. I was a bit surprised about this news, as there's been little-to-nothing in the hotel press up to now about Motto development activity, and no announcements or whispers about Spark before now.

It does seem a little unclear. It looks to me like it's not realy intended to be a separate brand, but just an indication of Doubletree Hotels at which they are testing new concepts and seeking feedback.

https://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/promo ... otels.html
"At SPARK hotels, DoubleTree by Hilton is testing new ideas that make better stays for our guests: services that make things easier, more adaptable, and more enjoyable. When guests see SPARK in action, they see better work and better play, better food and drink and of course, everything’s easier.

We’re listening. When staying at a SPARK hotel, whether you’re getting work done or having some fun, guests are invited to discover and provide feedback on the ideas for better stays being tested, during and after their visit.

SPARK officially launched December 7, 2015 at a select number of DoubleTree properties in the Americas and is set to expand the number of projects and properties involved throughout 2016."

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 17 Nov 2019 02:02

The site has had a rent-a-fence around it for about a week. A large backhoe has knocked down 2 of the 3 buildings on the site. I expect the other building and the trees to be gone next week.

This project and the TC Oak Grove Tower across the street could be going up at the same time.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 17 Nov 2019 04:41

Big week - LOTS of new infill going to be coming online in the next 2-3 years. Interesting to see if this will spur any new retail.

MrsKravitz

Postby MrsKravitz » 02 Dec 2019 00:14

jetnd87 wrote:So if this is going into the plot of land at Noble and Hall, what is the empty land + other vacant building (next to Hopdoddy, across McKinney from McKinney Avenue Trolley Apartments)?

Nobody knows at this point. Property owners continue to say they’re building a hotel. Meanwhile, property is an eyesore, in total disrepair and they have no money apparently...

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 03 Dec 2019 19:03

https://candysdirt.com/2019/12/03/oak-lawn-committee-sees-west-village-hilton-apartments-and-office-with-surprise/

Hilton Spark and Motto: Oak Grove Avenue and Hall Street
Last month, a double-branded Hilton property was proposed in West Village. The OLC didn’t like the building’s entrance orientation on Oak Grove Avenue so they rotated the podium to face Hall Street. I get that Oak Grove is a small street that might be overburdened by the hotel’s entrances, but by the same token, Hall is a nightmare at rush hours. I guess there’s no great option but relief that hotel patrons are predicted to prefer Uber over Hertz.

Speaking of parking, they’ve also increased the number of spaces from 95 to 120 to reduce the (rare?) need to park cars offsite (across Hall in a neighboring office building) at the same time they reduced the overall room count to 217 from 292.

Muffin-top amenity deck

But zoning calls for one parking space per room, so they’re getting a nice savings that they’re unwilling to use on underground parking (as nearly all commercial developments are doing in Uptown of late). My recommendation is for the developer to put a crowbar in the wallet. Instead, they’re offering a muffin-top garage-podium decorated in decorative cladding – on all sides this time. Whoo-hoo.

Landscaping-wise the neighborhood is getting shorted six trees at street level (no fair counting trees four stories off the ground on the top of the amenity deck). But the project is burying the utilities, vastly improving sightlines.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 04 Dec 2019 14:47

Redblock wrote:The site has had a rent-a-fence around it for about a week. A large backhoe has knocked down 2 of the 3 buildings on the site. I expect the other building and the trees to be gone next week.

This project and the TC Oak Grove Tower across the street could be going up at the same time.

Well, the third building is gone. But all the trees are still there and they are protected by tepees of 2X4s around their trunks. It appears this site is being used as a construction yard for the TC Oak Grove Tower. They are assembling rebar cores there for piers.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Feb 2020 12:42

Mystery (probably) resolved: According to Candy's Dirt, the two brands are to be Motto and Tempo, not Motto and Spark, as had been reported earlier.

https://candysdirt.com/2020/02/05/oak-l ... ects-seen/

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 05 Feb 2020 13:23

They all sound the same at this point...

Good infill project. Should help keep the Steakhouse full during the week nights ;)

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 05 Feb 2020 13:24

The new rendering provided in the Candys Dirt article shows the building is 50' shorter due to the parking garage podium buried underground. Otherwise, it looks similar but they moved the amenity deck to the top of the shorter building. Should be incredible DT views from there with Greenwood Cemetery across the street. Removing the garage also freed up space for a proper hotel entrance/lobby facing Hall St.

https://candysdirt.com/2020/02/05/oak-l ... ects-seen/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 05 Feb 2020 13:54

I hate how Candy’s Dirt will always spin that low height and setbacks make a project better. If that mindset is continued, are we allowing Central Dallas to live up to its potential as an urban area?

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 05 Feb 2020 15:26

I agree I don't understand Dallas aversion to height and trying to squash down buildings in the urban core.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 05 Feb 2020 16:31

ContriveDallasite wrote:They all sound the same at this point...

Yes, except that the Tempo hotel flag actually exists whereas the Spark flag does not. ;-)

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Feb 2020 02:58

In this case, I'm much happier they are burying the garage but the new rendering does look like a budget hotel.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 06 Feb 2020 17:36

Dreadful looking hotels. Certainly you would have thought that Hilton would have wanted a more appealing looking hotel combo introducing two new brands. They look remarkably unappealing & bland. Would fit better at the end of an off ramp on Stemmons Frwy. Too cheap to spend a little money on dynamic architecture? Big thumbs down.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Feb 2020 18:59

rono3849 wrote:Dreadful looking hotels. Certainly you would have thought that Hilton would have wanted a more appealing looking hotel combo introducing two new brands. They look remarkably unappealing & bland. Would fit better at the end of an off ramp on Stemmons Frwy. Too cheap to spend a little money on dynamic architecture? Big thumbs down.

It's an architectural Corolla.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Feb 2020 09:26

rono3849 wrote:Dreadful looking hotels. Certainly you would have thought that Hilton would have wanted a more appealing looking hotel combo introducing two new brands. They look remarkably unappealing & bland. Would fit better at the end of an off-ramp on Stemmons Frwy. Too cheap to spend a little money on dynamic architecture? Big thumbs down.

Yeah, now that you say that it reminds of the I-35 corridor or 635 where most of the 1970's-80's buildings dominate the freeway skyline.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 07 Feb 2020 10:15

I like the original design better.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 Feb 2020 11:23

I've never seen a developer sink a garage so it could have surface-level parking and setbacks. I wouldn't call it Stemmons Tower #5, but seems odd to me.

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 Feb 2020 12:53

R1070 wrote:I like the original design better.

Seriously... The OG version was def better. Why not just ensure the garage portion of the last version was built in such a manner that it could be converted in the future? This new proposal seems like a step in the wrong direction... even if it means locals can pat themselves on the back and say 'look, we made them build their garage undergound'.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Feb 2020 15:37

Yeah, the suburban mindset makes a lot of officials and the voting public applaud lawns and setbacks. In this case, it's mostly valet parking they are building into the ground floor with less active sides right on the sidewalk.

Annotation 2020-02-07 152948.jpg
Annotation 2020-02-07 1529482.jpg
Annotation 2020-02-07 15294823.jpg
Annotation 2020-02-07 152948234.jpg
Annotation 2020-02-07 1529482345.jpg
Annotation 2020-02-07 1529482346.jpg
Annotation 2020-02-07 1529482347.jpg
Annotation 2020-02-07 1529482348.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 08 Feb 2020 04:02

That last picture shows what would be the first stacked parking I have seen in Dallas.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 08 Feb 2020 11:10

Truly a "big nothing special" hotel. Sad to see that Dallas can't get compelling architecture for hotels like Atlanta, Houston & LA. It's just one bland building after another.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 24 Dec 2020 20:28

Well, there is a For Sale sign on this lot.
Last edited by Redblock on 27 Dec 2020 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 25 Dec 2020 12:55

Redblock wrote:Well, there a For Sale sign on this lot.

Perhaps this is a blessing. With the hotel/travel industry in a meltdown, Hilton probably decided to cancel the project. It was an ugly building that got worse when they buried the garage.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 10 Jan 2021 13:10

Redblock wrote:Well, there is a For Sale sign on this lot.

ImageUntitled by rlopez2011, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by rlopez2011, on Flickr

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Jan 2021 13:39

Wow the for sale sign doesn't even have branding for a company in charge of the sale. Its literally a generic for sale sign which suggests they probably haven't hired a big company to seek out buyers aggressively. This lot might sit for awhile.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 10 Jan 2021 15:31

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Wow the for sale sign doesn't even have branding for a company in charge of the sale. Its literally a generic for sale sign which suggests they probably haven't hired a big company to seek out buyers aggressively. This lot might sit for awhile.

How odd.

The phone number shows up on the page for one of the principals of this company: https://brookwoodcapitalpartners.com

They seem focused mostly on building industrial warehouses.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 16 Jul 2021 16:48

The suspense builds.

They have posted a zoning change request sign.
It is case number Z201-295.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 16 Jul 2021 18:05

Redblock wrote:The suspense builds.

They have posted a zoning change request sign.
It is case number Z201-295.

https://developmentdata.dallascityhall. ... /Z201-295/
“New subdistrict within PD 193 for hotel development”

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 21 Jul 2021 09:53

Chicago developer eyes Uptown Dallas hotel project

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... l-project/

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 21 Jul 2021 10:46

dallaz wrote:Chicago developer eyes Uptown Dallas hotel project

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... l-project/

Hopefully, this project will result in a more dynamic architecturally pleasing building for the neighborhood.

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 21 Jul 2021 10:57

If I had a nickel for every time Steve Brown has written these words: "one of the last Uptown high-rise sites" . . . LOL

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 21 Jul 2021 15:01

It's nice to see hotel proposals moving again. I'm not aware of any that have been recently proposed in the areas I work, and of the ones I'm aware of that have been proposed in the past few years and zoning approved, none have broken ground.