Medical/Market Center: Stemmons Towers

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Medical/Market Center: Stemmons Towers

Postby dfwcre8tive » 28 Feb 2019 19:59

This property could make for a unique residential conversion.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... mpus-grabs

Landmark Dallas office tower campus is up for grabs
Steve Brown, Real Estate Editor

A landmark Dallas office development is up for grabs.

The four-building Stemmons Towers campus northwest of downtown Dallas was one of the city's first suburban high-rise office projects.

Built starting in the early 1960s, the 12-story buildings contain almost 300,000 square feet of spece stretching along Stemmons Freeway near the Medical District and Love Field.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Re: Medical/Market Center: Stemmons Towers

Postby dfwcre8tive » 28 Feb 2019 20:01

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 28 Feb 2019 20:27

Nobody tell Trammell Crow or Sam's Club, please.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 28 Feb 2019 21:43

That 1963 image is amazing with the skyline in the distance. Wonder if a developer would consider residential?

vman

Postby vman » 01 Mar 2019 06:17

I've always liked this group of buildings and have always thought the area around them should be developed. I'm glad to see the Stemmons Corridor getting some attention. It seems to have been mostly ignored by a few of Dallas' boom cycles.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 01 Mar 2019 10:26

The Stemmon's corridor needs a huge cleanup. The roads are terrible including I-35, the buildings are neglected and filled with random businesses, litter everywhere, just seedy. It's sad because most people passing through Dallas on I-35 get this area as their impression of Dallas.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 01 Mar 2019 14:42

A lot of the land owners in this area have long been big supporters of the Trinity Toll-road and been very influential in pushing that project along. They wanted the added traffic from a Trinity Toll-road access to improve the value of the Stemmons corridor. I would love to see a new visionary developer come in and take a property like this one mentioned above and do more than just updating signage and landscaping. This site certainly has lots of potential for redevelopment in between the existing buildings. Like park lane a few parking garages could open up land for residential and retail development.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 01 Mar 2019 15:57

My ideal in this age of mega mixed use would be for someone to collaborate with TRE and with the Pollock family who own the 1960s buildings to the south. Between the DART property, this property, and the Pollock property, that's about 25 acres for TOD. Even cooler would be to coordinate that "station area" with the Parkland Hospital structure purchase and repurposing a block away. Add in the prominence from the freeway and such a project would really be the face of the medical district for a long time to come.

willyk

Postby willyk » 02 Mar 2019 01:19

I45Tex wrote:My ideal in this age of mega mixed use would be for someone to collaborate with TRE and with the Pollock family who own the 1960s buildings to the south. Between the DART property, this property, and the Pollock property, that's about 25 acres for TOD. Even cooler would be to coordinate that "station area" with the Parkland Hospital structure purchase and repurposing a block away. Add in the prominence from the freeway and such a project would really be the face of the medical district for a long time to come.

Great idea. The neighborhood looks terrible but the location, access and transit are awesome

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Mar 2019 10:58

I like all the ideas being thrown around, personally hope they keep the towers and find a way to erase the parking with lots of mixed use, maybe even add a couple large residential towers to help provide much needed housing and a fresh look along Stemmons.

Austin55

Postby Austin55 » 02 Mar 2019 17:28

These have always caught my eye when riding TRE. Always thought they looked pretty nice. There's so much potential too, with all the surface parking, to make a nice area.

vman

Postby vman » 04 Mar 2019 13:17

Austin55 wrote:These have always caught my eye when riding TRE. Always thought they looked pretty nice. There's so much potential too, with all the surface parking, to make a nice area.

I was driving home Friday and took a good look at this development. And I don't how I just noticed that J Pepe's had a location here in one of the towers. I used to love J Pepe's. I thought they were all long gone. Can't wait to get some of that wonderfully greasy TexMex!!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 06 Mar 2019 21:20

vman wrote:
Austin55 wrote:These have always caught my eye when riding TRE. Always thought they looked pretty nice. There's so much potential too, with all the surface parking, to make a nice area.

I was driving home Friday and took a good look at this development. And I don't how I just noticed that J Pepe's had a location here in one of the towers. I used to love J Pepe's. I thought they were all long gone. Can't wait to get some of that wonderfully greasy TexMex!!

I believe that location has been there for a long time, and a quick search shows there is still one at Plaza of the Americas.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Dec 2023 14:33

Dallas’ landmark Stemmons Towers sell for conversion to apartments
Four high-rises near Southwestern Medical District set for redo into residential.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... velopment/

“This project has a storied history as one of the first Dallas high-rise office projects outside of downtown,” Younger Partners’ John St. Clair said in a statement.

Sava Holdings plans to add additional floors to the office buildings and begin the redevelopment late next year.

The renovations will include the addition of a new outdoor pool and spa area, landscaping and new walking paths between the buildings. There will also be a large park and greenbelt area.

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 14 Dec 2023 16:22

GREAT!! These poor buildings need TLC and I think are ripe for the conversion. They do appear haggard from 35, so this will improve the appearance.
And so much better than demolishing them and building mid rise garden style projects.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 14 Dec 2023 16:38

Agreed. Glad to see they are being reused. I always assumed they would become medical office buildings associated with UTSW. I didn't see anything in the summary mentioning shared parking garage(s). If this is a hit, which I would think it would be, perhaps a future iteration would include midrise apt buildings replacing the vast ocean of surface parking out front and garages somewhere.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 14 Dec 2023 18:56

Would love to see some restaurant space on some of the lots as well.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Dec 2023 22:54

LongonBigD wrote:Agreed. Glad to see they are being reused. I always assumed they would become medical office buildings associated with UTSW. I didn't see anything in the summary mentioning shared parking garage(s). If this is a hit, which I would think it would be, perhaps a future iteration would include midrise apt buildings replacing the vast ocean of surface parking out front and garages somewhere.

I didn't notice parking plans but they did offer this...

“We love the concept of allowing them to stand alone together,” he said. “We also see a vision of surrounding the area with greenspace, water features, with a community feel. Ultimately, we want to bring the property new life.”

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 15 Dec 2023 13:02

I'm glad someone found this thread in 2019 and was inspired. :D

There are a lot of nice mature trees, and the core has a good connecting plaza; they can utilize that existing spine to create some interesting gardens for residents. If resident parking garages were added at the rear of the building adjacent to the tracks, it would free up more space for expanded gardens or low rise development in the front of the property. There should also be an effort to connect to the Medical/Market Center station, since that is a logical pedestrian crossing. Done right this could be a model for redevelopment of older corporate campuses. https://maps.app.goo.gl/fBprabGGDzZG6HqX9

I like a lot of the details in the buildings, so it will be interesting to see how they propose to add floors, hopefully tastefully added. Unfortunately the grouping of three Harry Bertoia sculptures were sold off (look up Witches of Stemmons Towers). https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/decor ... f_5470903/

The light posts always intrigued me.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 10.31.17 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jcblindsey

Postby jcblindsey » 15 Dec 2023 19:37

I would hope they add a garage or two to the rear of the property. Is there any other local example of high/mid-rise residential with people surface parking as far from the building as they would be with the current lot?

Dallas_Uptown

Postby Dallas_Uptown » 17 Dec 2023 15:03

I work next door…these poor buildings have been rotting since the pre-Covid era.

I’ve been harping for years about how they’d make fabulous apartments/condos and my coworkers thought I was nuts.

Mr. Uptown_Dallas felt quite superior last week, and was likely insufferable.