Deep Ellum: The Stack - 2700 Commerce

quixomniac

Re: Deep Ellum: The Stack - 2700 Commerce

Postby quixomniac » 24 Jun 2021 14:58

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Another residential tower will block this blank wall ...so whatevs.

Do you have any insider information about the Bomb Factory being tore down and replaced with a 20+ story building? Because anything short of that will not cover up the blank wall. Any residential tower that is built will still be facing an ugly parking garage wall. Adam hats residents may attest to that. It will always be visible from other angles.

In any other neighborhood i would let it slide, but not Deep Ellum. A lot of downtown parking garages have BEAUTIFUL parking garage murals. The composer/orchestra one near the Arts district or the whale mural come to mind. A great mural would go long ways to buy good will in Deep Ellum. They’ve already done good things, lets go for great.

Exactly! I made quick mockup on my iPad. Painting it blue makes it look like the stack is floating in the sky. The window frames popping out makes it look surrealistic.
843BB374-17CE-4BC4-98F7-F574E7AD64F3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 28 Jun 2021 13:25

quixomniac wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Another residential tower will block this blank wall ...so whatevs.

Do you have any insider information about the Bomb Factory being tore down and replaced with a 20+ story building? Because anything short of that will not cover up the blank wall. Any residential tower that is built will still be facing an ugly parking garage wall. Adam hats residents may attest to that. It will always be visible from other angles.

In any other neighborhood i would let it slide, but not Deep Ellum. A lot of downtown parking garages have BEAUTIFUL parking garage murals. The composer/orchestra one near the Arts district or the whale mural come to mind. A great mural would go long ways to buy good will in Deep Ellum. They’ve already done good things, lets go for great.

Exactly! I made quick mockup on my iPad. Painting it blue makes it look like the stack is floating in the sky. The window frames popping out makes it look surrealistic.
843BB374-17CE-4BC4-98F7-F574E7AD64F3.jpeg

Actually love the sky mural idea...

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 26 Aug 2021 10:01

Deep Ellum office tower lands insurance company tenant

Bestow, a digital life insurance firm based in Dallas, has taken 42,000 square feet of offices in the building located just east of downtown Dallas.

The building has 15,000 square feet of ground floor retail space and more than 210,000 square feet of offices.

FULL STORY: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ny-tenant/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Aug 2021 10:10

Its gonna take a long time for the brand new retail space to fill out I imagine. I will be curious to see if the newer spaces fill in with more chains or still unique businesses. I would love to see more neighborhood service things that residents and office workers would use that aren't bar/restaurants.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 26 Aug 2021 13:44

Downtown need a hardware store.

Cmacemm

Postby Cmacemm » 26 Aug 2021 14:28

tamtagon wrote:Downtown need a hardware store.

We have an "urban" Home Depot here in Chicago. It's not in downtown, but something similar would be cool in the CBD

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 26 Aug 2021 15:01

Cmacemm wrote:

We have an "urban" Home Depot here in Chicago. It's not in downtown, but something similar would be cool in the CBD

There's really no need for a hardware store in Downton IMO. There's plenty of big box hardware places in driving distance. Lowe's off 30, Home depot off Ft Worth Ave. And the old Home depot that get demolished by the tornado on 75 and royal (assuming it comes back).

I'd much rather have other residential and other retail in downtown. Now a downtown Target express would be great..

Cmacemm

Postby Cmacemm » 26 Aug 2021 15:22

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
Cmacemm wrote:

There's really no need for a hardware store in Downton IMO. There's plenty of big box hardware places in driving distance. Lowe's off 30, Home depot off Ft Worth Ave. And the old Home depot that get demolished by the tornado on 75 and royal (assuming it comes back).

I'd much rather have other residential and other retail in downtown. Now a downtown Target express would be great..

As downtown gets more residential, it will be needed more and more. Especially if the trend of ditching the car to live downtown continues. I was car-free here for years, so a walkable hardware store was a must for me. But I do agree that DTD is not to that point yet

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 26 Aug 2021 16:02

I lived in Chicago for years. I had a car. I lived right in uptown a couple of blocks north of boys town. There were multiple home depots to drive to, but I almost exclusively purchased all I needed from this Home Depot on Halsted (pictured). It had everything and was super convenient.
Every time I go back, I keep thinking we needed something like that in Dallas.
However, a city target first...

undefinedprocess
Site Admin

Postby undefinedprocess » 27 Aug 2021 08:54

I'd really prefer to see more local/not giant corporations take up space in DTD. I'm not trying to start a conversation about "burn the corporations!!!," I just don't want Downtown to turn into chain after chain.

However, staple retailers/chains, I get, and yeah, an urban Target would be absolutely incredible to have access to. Also, I agree that we aren't at the point for an urban Home Depot yet (didn't know those were a thing, cool af), but a smaller scale hardware store like ACE or something... More feasible short-term and still would provide a good selection.

Just more and more neighborhood services and stores to support the residents, please. My fat ass could eat all day, so sure, I love the restaurant selection we have, but food shouldn't be 99% of the options that residents have.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 27 Aug 2021 10:10

Also don't forget the Lowes and Home Depot on Lemmon Ave which is easily accessible from places like Uptown/Downtown with a car and yes by bus if you really really wanna get there that way.

When Downtown has the rooftops to support a true grocery store inside the CBD maybe we will see other retailers follow but for now Tom Thumb in Deep Ellum and Uptown are soaking up that market need. Not to mention I would love to see someone get on a DART bus with a 2x4 lol.

I think for now I hear more demands from my friends for a urban HEB and that topic we go back and fourth on how realistic that is.

Cmacemm

Postby Cmacemm » 27 Aug 2021 13:41

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Also don't forget the Lowes and Home Depot on Lemmon Ave which is easily accessible from places like Uptown/Downtown with a car and yes by bus if you really really wanna get there that way.

When Downtown has the rooftops to support a true grocery store inside the CBD maybe we will see other retailers follow but for now Tom Thumb in Deep Ellum and Uptown are soaking up that market need. Not to mention I would love to see someone get on a DART bus with a 2x4 lol.

I think for now I hear more demands from my friends for a urban HEB and that topic we go back and fourth on how realistic that is.

I'm dead serious when I say this, I've ridden the bus with a full 4x8 piece of sheetrock for a hole we knocked in my wall during a party hahaha. I've seen some weird stuff on the bus before, but I think I might have topped them all hahah. I had SO MANY people staring at me like "uhh are you serious dude" hahahah

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 27 Aug 2021 17:26

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
And the old Home depot that get demolished by the tornado on 75 and royal (assuming it comes back).

It's actually at Forest/75, and it reopened a few months ago.

willyk

Postby willyk » 11 Nov 2021 01:43

The Stack Deep Ellum snags logistics company headquarters from Victory Park

Worldwide Express is moving its headquarters from Victory Park and into The Stack in Deep Ellum—one of the newest mixed-use developments in the neighborhood.

The third-party logistics company is moving its headquarters across town after it announced its merger with Phoenix-based GlobalTranz Enterprises LLC in June. The company will occupy 24,480 square feet of the building which is a joint venture between Westdale Real Estate Investment and Management, Ivanhoé Cambridge and Hines.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... press.html

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Nov 2021 13:11

That combination is almost a Fortune 500 company....

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 11 Nov 2021 14:04

tamtagon wrote:That combination is almost a Fortune 500 company....

They'll be knocking on the Fortune 500's door if they increase their revenue by only 63% (and become a public company). ;)

FWIW, if they were a public company, they would rank at around 700.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 02 Jan 2023 17:31

It’s been a while, but someone mentioned this building on another tread. I was in the area today. I just hate the height of the garage portion of this building. Clearly the developer gave some thought to this in the design stage as well since they tried to disguise it. This disguise would have worked so much better if they had just spent a few dollars more and painted the exposed concrete slabs in the fake windows black.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 02 Jan 2023 17:41

Since I avoid Deep Ellum like the plague since all I see are gunshot reports and fights on my citizen app, does the ground floor have tenants?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 02 Jan 2023 19:30

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Since I avoid Deep Ellum like the plague since all I see are gunshot reports and fights on my citizen app, does the ground floor have tenants?

Not that I noticed.

homeworld1031tx

Postby homeworld1031tx » 03 Jan 2023 16:03

Ha, it's funny that the Richards Group will be a tenant here - from one building where half of the height was above ground parking, to another that's the same :)

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 03 Jan 2023 20:19

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Since I avoid Deep Ellum like the plague since all I see are gunshot reports and fights on my citizen app, does the ground floor have tenants?

White Rhino Coffee appears to be it.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 04 Jan 2023 11:36

LongonBigD wrote:It’s been a while, but someone mentioned this building on another tread. I was in the area today. I just hate the height of the garage portion of this building. Clearly the developer gave some thought to this in the design stage as well since they tried to disguise it. This disguise would have worked so much better if they had just spent a few dollars more and painted the exposed concrete slabs in the fake windows black.

It for sure gives off a movie set vibe. In an ideal world all the windows would be actual glass windows that remain cracked open for ventilation. Though in a truly ideal world it wouldn't be a garage at all I guess. Alas.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 01 Apr 2024 14:37

Both of these articles have a paywall but the headlines tell the story.

Ad agency TRG lists 28K sf sublease at the Stack in Deep Ellum
More than a third of Hines-developed building is on sublease market
https://therealdeal.com/texas/dallas/20 ... eep-ellum/

Advertising Agency TRG Seeks To Offload Office Space in Dallas' Deep Ellum Neighborhood
About One-Third of The Stack Is Available for Sublease, Executive Says
https://www.costar.com/article/91860345 ... ighborhood

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 02 Apr 2024 04:41

Wow, they've really shrunk their corporate footprint.