Most Exciting Project?

clcrash19

Most Exciting Project?

Postby clcrash19 » 05 Dec 2018 11:09

I'm curious... what building, project or expansion that is happening in the next few years or now in Dallas proper is the most exciting for everyone on board?

Maybe amli fountain place, the lofts in the arts district, or possibly the hines tower in victory?

Could be the KWP expansion or the human rights museum..

Matt777

Re: Most Exciting Project?

Postby Matt777 » 05 Dec 2018 11:17

1. HSR Station/Water Gardens/Texas Odyssey
2. Central Market Uptown/Office Tower/Hotel or Residential Tower complex
3. Smart City Dallas (would be number one if it had more legs, but not holding my breath)

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 05 Dec 2018 11:29

Out of the projects currently in progress, it's really hard for me to pick between the following:
- East Quarter
- Discovery District

Personally, I am way more interested in watching the East Quarter development, as I really think that will end up being a very cool part of town in the next 5-10 years. The Discovery District, I feel, will be important in that it will be a huge destination for Downtown, which is something Downtown really lacks. I can see the Discovery District drawing in large crowds regularly, which will help bring more foot traffic to the surrounding areas.

As for upcoming projects, anything that is close to the Trinity River really excites me (The HSR, Water Gardens Project, and Texas Odyssey).

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 05 Dec 2018 11:52

Totally forgot about the smart district... that could be major, but im not holding my breath either..

East Quarter and Discovery District could transform that side of downtown.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 05 Dec 2018 12:02

Agree w/ Dpatel. I'd say Discovery District for creating a destination for downtown, East Quarter for merging downtown and Deep Ellum, and I'd add the Holocaust Museum for hopefully bringing more activity to the West End.

Dallas12

Postby Dallas12 » 05 Dec 2018 12:06

Tearing down I-345 :D :roll:

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 05 Dec 2018 12:16

when is the discovery district and east quarter scheduled completions? and are they in phases?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 05 Dec 2018 13:24

clcrash19 wrote:when is the discovery district and east quarter scheduled completions? and are they in phases?

Both should be completed late 2019, and neither of them are phased projects. Although, once the East Quarter is 'complete', there will still be plenty of available land to re-develop in the future.

dd_dweller

Postby dd_dweller » 05 Dec 2018 13:26

The projects I'm most excited about are:

* The Epic and if successful phase 2
* Carpenter Park
* Discover District - I hope the architecture is bold and iconic

Seems like every corner of downtown is being developed. Hope this keeps going into 2019 and beyond.

whit5125

Postby whit5125 » 05 Dec 2018 13:37

1. High Speed rail project

2. Trinity River Park (any news on this thing since the toll road got killed that was holding it up)

3. Smart District (would be higher but they need to get tenants now that Amazon fell through)

4. Trinity Water gardens

5. Texas Eye Ferris wheel and development

6. Ross Perots tower.....should that ever happen.

7. East Quarter

8. Any development along the river including the development project stradling the Margaret hunt hill bridge.

9. tearing down I 345 if it happens

10. Amili fountain place

11. Watching the cluster fuck that is The Dallas Midtown project and reading down Valley View mall

muncien

Postby muncien » 05 Dec 2018 13:53

I remember when The Drever (formerly 'The Olympic') was on our previous 'most exciting' list. Though, I totally get why it has fallen down the list.

But I agree 100% with the projects mentioned above. All very good for the CBD. Hard to narrow it down to one. I would also LOVE to see something tangible for the Headington parking lots on Field/San Jacinto. But that may have to wait for a future years list.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 05 Dec 2018 13:57

I'll go with East Quarter as well, looping in the three new/improved parks nearby (Carpenter/Pacific/Harwood).

I am very intrigued by what will happen with the deck park over I-35 near the zoo as well. I wonder what kind of subsequent development will be spurred on by it, and just the overall popularity compared to Klyde Warren.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 05 Dec 2018 15:06

Texas Central HSR Station is my #1 by far. It would completely transform that part of downtown and the Cedars and guarantee all the ancillary development once promised by the Omni hotel and much more, not to mention make DTD the first downtown in the U.S. with a HSR station. Once final approved by the feds and they're free to start raising capital, I think you'll see a lot of foreign companies interested in the project.

Next I would say the combination of Amli Fountain Place and Atelier Arts District because they will change the skyline. The Drever too because it'll have the highest concentration of residences in any building on EMC.

I wish I shared the enthusiasm here for East Quarter and Discovery District but they're not transformative projects to me. The former gets a ton of credit for saving old buildings and the latter for reworking the AT&T plaza and adding a food hall.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 05 Dec 2018 16:06

muncien wrote:I remember when The Drever (formerly 'The Olympic') was on our previous 'most exciting' list. Though, I totally get why it has fallen down the list.

Haha, yeah. Even if it weren't for all the mishaps and roadblocks along the way, it still wouldn't be on my list, simply because there is so much else going on in Dallas right now.

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 06 Dec 2018 08:53

1.Drever
2.Epic
3.exxir bishop arts construction
4. Discovery district.
5. Central market
6.henderson Avenue project
7.weir furniture tower
8. Amli fp
9. Flora arts tower
10. D2

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 06 Dec 2018 10:37

lakewoodhobo wrote:Texas Central HSR Station is my #1 by far. It would completely transform that part of downtown and the Cedars and guarantee all the ancillary development once promised by the Omni hotel and much more, not to mention make DTD the first downtown in the U.S. with a HSR station. Once final approved by the feds and they're free to start raising capital, I think you'll see a lot of foreign companies interested in the project.

Next I would say the combination of Amli Fountain Place and Atelier Arts District because they will change the skyline. The Drever too because it'll have the highest concentration of residences in any building on EMC.

I wish I shared the enthusiasm here for East Quarter and Discovery District but they're not transformative projects to me. The former gets a ton of credit for saving old buildings and the latter for reworking the AT&T plaza and adding a food hall.

I was going to say HSR project, hobo summed it up well so can I just say ditto?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 06 Dec 2018 11:47

I don't think the AT&T discovery district will be transformative..it's just a glorified cafeteria.

Did anyone ever hear anything for The Harwood international Forum project?

I know a couple weeks back they teased us with FAA submissions...

That would alter the city's skyline.

East Quarter?..Wake me up when there's residential projects going up.

But the most exciting project has to Manister's plan with Henderson Avenue. That would reinvigorate the strip and connect it with LG and Ross.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 06 Dec 2018 12:39

I'm also not expecting much from the AT&T Discovery District. I would like to be pleasantly surprised, but it seems like AT&T over-hyped it so they could justify taking part of Wood Street from the city to expand their outdoor seating area. Because that's what it is.... an updated and expanded seating area for their employees. But like I said, I would like to be pleasantly surprised!

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 06 Dec 2018 13:05

The most exciting project would be a supertall. We have yet to see that happen. Until then, everything else is just generic infill.

jimmyx18

Postby jimmyx18 » 06 Dec 2018 13:28

At this point, "generic infill" is what we need most. Without the generic infill, if we get a "supertall", it will be surrounded by a sea of parking lots. The infill is what energizes an area. Without it, you just have destinations.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 06 Dec 2018 16:27

I think the AT&T improvements are more than just an expanded seating area in terms of their impact. The plaza as it functioned previously was an outdated smoking area with trees covered in bird poop. This will give it some more function as a place for events, large outdoor displays and overall better eateries that attract fresh talent to their corporate HQ. I don't mind closing down streets around their campus cause they are adding a significant amount of ground floor activation in buildings that currently are closed off entirely to the public. That impact alone is a vast improvement. Their campus has largely been a castle. This will do a lot to open existing buildings which we won't be lucky enough to see them remove and replace entirely.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 09 Jan 2019 14:05

The new year is here! What projects are you looking forward to?

I can't really find one I'm excited about it. Seems like it will be slow year to me.

willyk

Postby willyk » 11 Jan 2019 03:51

East Quarter is off to great and fast start. I am hoping to see new some construction here that will start to bridge DE, EMC and Farmers Market. Maybe Carpenter or Harwood Park will start up too and add to the momentum.

I am also liking the new building about to deliver at Cesar Chavez and Marilla in the Farmers Market. It’s full of ground floor retail. The area is terribly underserved and I expect that this retail will do great.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Jan 2019 10:08

willyk wrote:East Quarter is off to great and fast start. I am hoping to see new some construction here that will start to bridge DE, EMC and Farmers Market. Maybe Carpenter or Harwood Park will start up too and add to the momentum.

I am also liking the new building about to deliver at Cesar Chavez and Marilla in the Farmers Market. It’s full of ground floor retail. The area is terribly underserved and I expect that this retail will do great.

I understand that a big part of the project is about restoring old buildings. But I don't know if that will really fill the gap between farmers and Downtown. Without residential it's another dead zone.

willyk

Postby willyk » 11 Jan 2019 22:18

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
willyk wrote:East Quarter is off to great and fast start. I am hoping to see new some construction here that will start to bridge DE, EMC and Farmers Market. Maybe Carpenter or Harwood Park will start up too and add to the momentum.

I understand that a big part of the project is about restoring old buildings. But I don't know if that will really fill the gap between farmers and Downtown. Without residential it's another dead zone.

Yes—agree. But those parking lots are destined for infill residential at the least. The location is just too good to pass by. West Village was a hit because it bridged Uptown and Knox Henderson. Some mixed use along those lines could do great here too because it’s the intersection of three growing neighborhoods.