Code: Select all

Project Name:
    Cedar Springs Townhomes
Project Number:
    TABS2022005142
Facility Name:
    The Towns at Cedar Springs and Wycliff
Location Address:
    4303 Cedar Springs Rd. & 3053 Wycliff Ave.
    Dallas, TX 75219
Location County:
    Dallas

Start Date:
    12/1/2021
Completion Date:
    3/1/2023
Estimated Cost:
    $9,500,000
Type of Work:
    New Construction
Type of Funds:
    This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work:
    New construction of 3 multi-family townhouse structures comprising a total of 21 individual units and a total conditioned area of 42,763 sf.
Square Footage:
    42,763 ft 2

itsjrd1964

Re: Oak Lawn

Postby itsjrd1964 » 06 Feb 2022 05:18

A new McAlister's Deli is going in at Lemmon/Knight. It will be complete/open this Spring.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/rest ... -oak-lawn/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 06 Feb 2022 18:10

I thought Einsteins Bagels was planned for that space? I miss having one close by!

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 07 Feb 2022 14:37

I was under the impression that Einstein Bagel was moving there as well. This will be the world's smallest McAlisters with the world's smallest parking spot unless somebody else is moving out (and it doesn't look like the pet store is moving).

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 Feb 2022 15:20

I am confused about where this is. The article says a new building is under construction. That address is the building where Buffalo Wild Wings is located. Do they mean the former Starbucks across the street? That obviously has construction going on just like the old Einsteins Bagels building is under construction as well.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

R1070

Postby R1070 » 07 Feb 2022 19:05

It's going into the old starbucks spot. there's signage in the window.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 13 Apr 2022 16:02

lakewoodhobo wrote:
New seniors apartments serving Dallas’ LBGTQ community are in the works in Oak Lawn
Developer Matthews Southwest is working on the Oak Lawn Place project near DART’s Inwood Road rail station.

The more than $20 million development is being financed with a combination of donations, economic incentives and low-income tax credits.

Picture1.jpg

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... community/

Thinking this should really be in the Medical District thread, but it's relevant to the evolution of Oak Lawn. I do love seeing stories like this and how nonprofits like Resource Center shifted from fighting HIV/AIDS to housing the same people that benefited from, i.e., survived thanks to their tireless work.

Update:

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2022016493

Looks like this project could be starting fairly soon. Also, looks like someone some of us know filed this project!

Code: Select all

Project Name:
    Oak Lawn Place
Project Number:
    TABS2022016493
Facility Name:
    Oaklawn Place
Location Address:
    Sadler Circle
    Dallas, TX 75235
Location County:
    Dallas

Start Date:
    5/13/2022
Completion Date:
    5/13/2024
Estimated Cost:
    $14,500,000
Type of Work:
    New Construction
Type of Funds:
    This project involves public funds, public land, or is a Federally funded roadway project.
Scope of Work:
    New 5-story mid-rise multifamily project with Leasing Office on Level 01.
Square Footage:
    79,650 ft 2

R1070

Postby R1070 » 17 Jun 2022 20:51

There's wooden stakes in the ground around the lot for Shell/Pizza Hut at Lemmon and Oak Lawn. Could this mean something?

LPG

Postby LPG » 01 Jul 2022 14:11

Hanover Co. is beginning demolition of the Turtle Creek Gardens condos at 2525 Turtle Creek Blvd. near Fairmount Street.

Built the early 1960s, the low-rise condo community has more than 100 units.

Hanover plans to build a 509,023-square-foot residential tower and parking garage on the 4.5-acre site, according to planning documents filed with the state.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... eek-tower/

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 11 Aug 2022 15:08

I noticed surveyors today at the corner of Cedar Springs and Throckmorton on the JR's side. Maybe related to work beginning on the two towers behind there. I hope soon.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Aug 2022 18:08

Yes is the short answer.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 15 Aug 2022 23:57

Cbdallas wrote:I noticed surveyors today at the corner of Cedar Springs and Throckmorton on the JR's side. Maybe related to work beginning on the two towers behind there. I hope soon.

This project is still happening?? I thought it was stalled/rejected or something.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Aug 2022 12:28

uptown74 wrote:
Cbdallas wrote:I noticed surveyors today at the corner of Cedar Springs and Throckmorton on the JR's side. Maybe related to work beginning on the two towers behind there. I hope soon.

This project is still happening?? I thought it was stalled/rejected or something.

Haha no its complicated but Caven Enterprises who owned the land and buildings JRS, TMC, Sue Elens, S4, and the massive paid lot and Roy G's/Skivvies property was an employee-owned company. All employees had stock if you work there for more than a year and those gay bars have employees that have been there for over 10 yrs. In many cases, it's their retirement money at stake here. They had to follow laws on selling the company assets to the developer Pegasus Ablon. Stockholders must be notified and informed of their options, waiting periods for notifying all stockholders who may be hard to reach etc. Then once the property is sold, the developer started more work on the project to finalize actual plans. JRs, Sue Ellens, S4, and TMC are now just bars owned by one guy basically, and they have a long-term lease.

Also, the old Pandas space has been leased now that Pegasus ABlon is the property owner. It will be food, and that's all I can say for now. The developer will have more news in the fall after September Pide Parade is all over.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 16 Aug 2022 13:42

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
uptown74 wrote:

Haha no its complicated but Caven Enterprises who owned the land and buildings JRS, TMC, Sue Elens, S4, and the massive paid lot and Roy G's/Skivvies property was an employee-owned company. All employees had stock if you work there for more than a year and those gay bars have employees that have been there for over 10 yrs. In many cases, it's their retirement money at stake here. They had to follow laws on selling the company assets to the developer Pegasus Ablon. Stockholders must be notified and informed of their options, waiting periods for notifying all stockholders who may be hard to reach etc. Then once the property is sold, the developer started more work on the project to finalize actual plans. JRs, Sue Ellens, S4, and TMC are now just bars owned by one guy basically, and they have a long-term lease.

Also, the old Pandas space has been leased now that Pegasus ABlon is the property owner. It will be food, and that's all I can say for now. The developer will have more news in the fall after September Pide Parade is all over.

Twin Peaks or Hooters?

NdoorTX

Postby NdoorTX » 16 Aug 2022 15:33

Ojos Locos

R1070

Postby R1070 » 16 Aug 2022 16:24

NdoorTX wrote:Ojos Locos

LOL... prob.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 16 Aug 2022 16:56

No a CVS. jk

They found a local business owner not currently on the strip, but it's not a chain and not pizza, tacos, burgers, or Asian food either.

skeets

Postby skeets » 17 Aug 2022 11:49

Steak & Leg

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 19 Aug 2022 13:20

Will be interesting to see what happens with this $8.2 million listing in the middle of the neighborhood (basically halfway between Hunky's and Taco Cabana).

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/tx/ ... _48401932/

R1070

Postby R1070 » 19 Aug 2022 13:29

This property needs to go. I hate that they don't have a sidewalk along Throckmorton.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 19 Aug 2022 13:44

R1070 wrote:This property needs to go. I hate that they don't have a sidewalk along Throckmorton.

There is a new crushed gravel path there instead of the dirt/mud trail that used to be there. Also saw two or three apartments of stuff on the lawn when I walked by a few days ago that had obviously just been evicted. Made me wonder then if it was being emptied out to sell. I can't imagine that the highest and best use of that property at this point is to retain the existing studios and one bedroom units.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 19 Aug 2022 14:39

If you look at that picture looking towards downtown I totally can see this area getting more towers they are right at our doorstep. I would love to see this area go up and densify a lot more and replace the aging properties.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 19 Aug 2022 15:16

It is happening a lot in the Houston equivalent of Oak Lawn, along Montrose. Possibly happened sooner because of Montrose being the 2nd-leading Houston neighborhood for colleges and museums as well.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 19 Aug 2022 16:39

Cbdallas wrote:If you look at that picture looking towards downtown I totally can see this area getting more towers they are right at our doorstep.

Very much right at the doorstep. The Mayfair is four blocks down the street from these apartments, which is a crazy demographic juxtaposition.

I could also see a lot of the blocks in this area ending up similar to Bennett and around that Fitzhugh/Capitol area, with rows of townhomes and donut apartments taking over the older housing. There's been some of that happening already.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 19 Aug 2022 21:54

Maybe we'll get something that's new.... Like an architectural innovation that delivers the product but is different from before, that'd be nice.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Aug 2022 21:03

The problem is that many of the older stock is being renovated and is charging rents just under the price of the new stuff.
The property above is being renovated. I believe they are ending leases and deep renovating each unit. I believe the property even has gas appliances that they are changing to newer models during the renovation. They were painted white in the last year, so I imagine someone is looking to flip the property with evidence that it can get newer rates with continued renovation.

Wait until the gay bar properties go vertical; we might see more changes. They plan to start some sort of construction work after September Pride. The CAVEN bars are starting to spend the money they got from the developer on renovations cause the new owner is well aware that all of them need major reinvestment and haven't gotten it for decades now.

vman

Postby vman » 24 Aug 2022 07:43

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
The CAVEN bars are starting to spend the money they got from the developer on renovations cause the new owner is well aware that all of them need major reinvestment and haven't gotten it for decades now.

They need to!! I went to JR's and the bar across from the chicken restaurant( that used to be Sue Ellen's) for the the first time in probably 6 -7 years when my cousin came to town last month. I was surprised to see how run down and dumpy those bars have become. And I must mention, they play the worst music I've ever heard...anywhere.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 24 Aug 2022 09:49

vman wrote:They need to!! I went to JR's and the bar across from the chicken restaurant( that used to be Sue Ellen's) for the the first time in probably 6 -7 years when my cousin came to town last month. I was surprised to see how run down and dumpy those bars have become. And I must mention, they play the worst music I've ever heard...anywhere.

Glad to hear some renovations are happening here. I lived nearby several years ago and would pop in to some of these bars, and always felt they all felt a little outdated.

It wasn't bad enough to the point where I wouldn't enjoy my time there, but it was just interesting that all other parts of town were getting brand new bars, while these were getting more and more dated.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 24 Aug 2022 14:13

It's an old guard problem most of gay bar owners have owned them for decades and still believe we live in a world where a gay bar is a GAY BAR where only gay men will come and feel safe in droves. It's the delusion that gay men, and yes, I mean gay men, not gay women, cause that's a demographic that drinks differently, are still dedicated to their bars and not going to Bishop Arts, Deep Ellum, Uptown, Addison, Legacy, Applebees etc. Gay men no longer feel the threat of being out in other places on the level they used to. Gay bars used to rake in the profits over being the only safe space. Now they have to compete for those customers like every bar and restaurant does and straight bars enjoy gay money as much as straight money so they host drag shows, good music nights and pay DJ's and staff better in some cases. Most of the old guard is used to the idea that their customer is dedicated and isn't drawn away by other places cause they "aren't a gay bar." All my gay men friends have dinners, drinks and nights out everywhere in this city and you have to appeal to them, market to them, be aggressive about booking talent, DJs and good cocktails, specials and themed events etc. The gaybourhood in my opinion, lost site of the evolution of gay men in America and has seen declines due to a general lack of awareness that the internet happened and gay men don't need gay bars to get lucky, and they will have to compete for their customer like the DMN has to compete against CNN for eyes on their content. In this example, the gay bars became the newspapers trying to ignore the reality that they no longer had just one or two local papers they were competing against but now the entire world wide web for getting their news.

So you are left with straight people at the gay bars who watched Will and Grace and feel fine in a gay bar, and the bar flies who come every weekend but only leave the gay bars when they are out of town. That's not enough customers to keep these businesses afloat. They need reinvestment and marketing and active programming that's inclusive and more than just happy hour starts at 4 pm.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 24 Aug 2022 17:48

"The Evolution of the Gay Bar" sounds like a great thesis paper and maybe even deserves its own thread, but I'm actually not entirely against keeping some things as they are. Kudos to Round-Up for actually looking not too different from what it did 20 years ago while still attracting crowds and the occasional visit from Gaga. JR's needs to step up its Sunday game and do something none of the other bars are doing. If you've been to Sidetrack in Chicago, you know there's big money in retro videos and showtunes, something sorely lacking on the strip.

Also, I was one of the people who said Mr Misster would never make it, and I've found myself there much later than expected on more than one Sunday evening.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Aug 2022 14:32

The DJing staff issue is a hard one cause its an area not many bar owners to want to pay for. A Video DJ vs a music DJ is two very different skills for sure. Keep in mind Caven has a DJ staff that floats between all their bars and doesn't work for one bar solely usually, but they are always short-staffed. RoundUp has one full-time DJ staff member who has to program their music selection 7 days a week from 3 pm till 2 am. They always hire one-offs, but RoundUp can easily play top 40, and people like it. S4 plays top 40, and people riot that the music is bad. I go to Woodys for their 90's night on Mondays and Broadway Tuesdays and they have an experienced video DJ who has the software to do it right allowing them to make playlists of Music videos for those slower nights. I won't pretend I know how to fix any of it or what will work to get people inside any of these bars.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 26 Aug 2022 14:55

Zmitz wrote:https://candysdirt.com/2020/01/22/council-unanimously-approves-streetlights-development-at-oak-lawn-and-lemmon/

The mixed use tower next to Eatzi's was approved, seems like a decent if not great addition to the area. The link below is more detailed information about the project.

https://0201.nccdn.net/4_2/000/000/079/ ... 0-2019.pdf

What in the world happened to this project. I would have thought this to be a no brainer. Lemmon is starting to look third world compared to the rest of urban Dallas and looks stuck in the 1970's

eburress

Postby eburress » 26 Aug 2022 14:59

I didn't realize it had been approved. For some reason I thought they were doing additional redesigns to satisfy the neighbors who didn't like the appearance of the building's rear.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 Aug 2022 15:31

Well Pizza hut/gas station is still very much in operation so I have no idea what stage this project is in and I drive by it every day basically.

Its Streetlights Residential and they are the ones who also proposed that 20-story apartment highrise at The Central development off 75 Hwy and Blackburn. Not sure if either is making any serious progress.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 26 Aug 2022 16:58

The Oak Lawn / Lemmon tower is near the top of my list of towers I really want to happen. That lot is so ugly.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 07 Sep 2022 13:36

LPG wrote:
Hanover Co. is beginning demolition of the Turtle Creek Gardens condos at 2525 Turtle Creek Blvd. near Fairmount Street.

Built the early 1960s, the low-rise condo community has more than 100 units.

Hanover plans to build a 509,023-square-foot residential tower and parking garage on the 4.5-acre site, according to planning documents filed with the state.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... eek-tower/
Any updates on this? Renderings perhaps?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Sep 2022 13:16

If it's within their existing zoning rights we may not see any renderings until they are ready to market the building to renters.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 08 Sep 2022 18:11

R1070 wrote:The Oak Lawn / Lemmon tower is near the top of my list of towers I really want to happen. That lot is so ugly.

same here....any updates? havent heard anything about it in a while

eburress

Postby eburress » 08 Sep 2022 21:50

kingpin wrote:
R1070 wrote:The Oak Lawn / Lemmon tower is near the top of my list of towers I really want to happen. That lot is so ugly.

same here....any updates? havent heard anything about it in a while

I thought the locals objected to the appearance of the building's rear and so they were going to make design tweaks. This was like a year ago.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 09 Sep 2022 09:28

Jeez I forgot about that tower, is it even still in play? I hope it is, that would completely alter the landscape on that corner.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 09 Sep 2022 13:43

Maybe the developer had Dallas zoning and Oak Lawn Committee fatigue and went to Frisco.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Sep 2022 14:02

The developer proposed a tower over as part of Central development on 75 cause its Streetlights Residential, so I doubt that. They have proposed two iffy proposals in the last few years. I believe they got approval even with the 7-story parking garage above ground, though via Oak Lawn commitee. The question was would the city go against the Oak Lawn committee or not.

Correct that Council approved it in 2019 soooo maybe it is dead....Its also not listed on Streetlights website but they don't have a Current Projects page like some developers.

https://candysdirt.com/2020/01/22/council-unanimously-approves-streetlights-development-at-oak-lawn-and-lemmon/
After passing City Plan Commission unanimously, it’s unsurprising that the Dallas City Council passed Streetlights’ plan to redevelop the forlorn Oak Lawn and Lemmon Avenue corner, currently occupied by a Shell gas station and Pizza Hut, surrounded by surface parking.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 10 Sep 2022 12:08

If they ever shut down the Shell station on the corner of Oak Lawn & Lemmon, then you'll know something is going to happen.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Sep 2022 15:35

Now the news is that Streetlights Residential is planning a tower in Knox Henderson on the Henry Majestic strip center, so they seem to be focused on that project for now rather than the one that was announced for this site in 2019. Developers in the city limits sometimes will build one or two projects at a time, and I am sure someone on this forum can provide evidence either way, but my thoughts on it are that these developers like a lot of space between projects and Knox Henderson and Oak Lawn are kinda close. Knox Henderson to Oak Cliff is something I have seen developers of this level do concurrently, but I just don't see this Lemmon Oak Lawn tower as still percolating.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 13 Sep 2022 16:01

There has to be someone with connections to the OLC to find out what the scoop is on this. It does seem like the developer had a lot of back and forth with them on this development.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 14 Sep 2022 13:27

Its been approved though by the city council for over a year. It's well past the OLC level. The OLC approved it, and the city did as well. It seems like it's completely in the developer's hands here. Steve Brown said its "pending" in his recent article, so I can only assume the developer didn't have anything more to say about why it's not started.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 15 Sep 2022 22:50

I’m not sure if there is a thread dedicated for this project…but here’s the presentation from the OLC.

From June 2022

2505 Turtle Creek

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wc0CGF ... ejC-6/view

eburress

Postby eburress » 16 Sep 2022 06:00

Oooh, I like that! Great find, dallaz!

R1070

Postby R1070 » 16 Sep 2022 08:43

dallaz wrote:I’m not sure if there is a thread dedicated for this project…but here’s the presentation from the OLC.

From June 2022

2505 Turtle Creek

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wc0CGF ... ejC-6/view

Me likey a lot!

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 29 Sep 2022 09:29

National investor partners on Turtle Creek tower in Dallas

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... in-dallas/

GID Investment Advisers LLC, which has offices in Atlanta, Boston, San Francisco and other major U.S. cities, will partner on the 21-story Hanover Turtle Creek tower.

“The tower will be the first phase of a two-tower development and will consist of 341 market-rate units, featuring an expansive rooftop pool and amenity deck with unobstructed views of the Dallas skyline,” GID officials said in a statement.

Chicago-based architect Solomon Cordwell Buenz is designing the project, which will open in 2025.