Oak Lawn

lakewoodhobo

Re: Oak Lawn

Postby lakewoodhobo » 04 Oct 2022 16:05

Work set to begin next year on Oak Lawn redevelopment
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/202 ... velopment/

Picture1.jpg

PegasusAblon last year obtained zoning to construct the residential towers behind the retail strip along Cedar Springs Avenue at Throckmorton Street.

The developer was given approval to build two residential towers on the parking lots behind the existing buildings.

Construction is set to start in January to make way for the new buildings, according to planning documents filed with the state.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 05 Oct 2022 10:24

Thank goodness with this and the Trammel Crow development off of Maple this area could see some real growth upwards and denser. This area bordered between Maple the tollway Oak lawn and Cedar Springs is ripe for further development. I live here and love the easy connectivity to everything.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 05 Oct 2022 11:24

What's astonishing to me is that they say they will add a retail spot on Throckmorton plus the community plaza, which is only being built cause S4 has to retain emergency access for the back of the patio due to fire code. I guess the parking garage ramps will not be on Throckmorton. This is def one of those projects where I wish we could see actual renderings. The ones pictured above are concept renderings, not the final designs but since they have the necessary zoning, they might not show off renderings before construction starts.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 05 Oct 2022 17:21

cowboyeagle05 wrote:This is def one of those projects where I wish we could see actual renderings. The ones pictured above are concept renderings, not the final designs but since they have the necessary zoning, they might not show off renderings before construction starts.

This nighttime view was new to me. It only shows one building but it has a lot more detail than the one that's been posted.

PegasusAblon Cedar Springs rendering.jpg

It's on the home page background scroll and also a captionless photo on the Projects page of PegasusAblon.com.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 05 Oct 2022 18:49

Is it just me or does the night view rendering look nothing like the day rendering except the basic shape of the building? Maybe this is all conceptual at this point.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 05 Oct 2022 19:45

I don't mind the infill. I just hope the residents are good neighbors to an established nightlife district of historical importance.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 05 Oct 2022 21:21

LongonBigD wrote:Is it just me or does the night view rendering look nothing like the day rendering except the basic shape of the building? Maybe this is all conceptual at this point.

Sure it's still conceptual, but I thought the night view looked like a revision or refining of the original concept. It shows more detail of what the building would actually look like. The daytime rendering was basically some cubes and rectangles in the background of a Cedar Springs street scene to show the height and massing.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 06 Oct 2022 09:45

Is this the building with the rainbow waterfall thingy?

eburress

Postby eburress » 06 Oct 2022 11:24

LongonBigD wrote:Is it just me or does the night view rendering look nothing like the day rendering except the basic shape of the building? Maybe this is all conceptual at this point.

The earlier renderings must be based an earlier iteration of the building's design. I personally like the progress.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 07 Oct 2022 06:48

The nighttime picture looks like a real building and looks good. The early photos look more like generic place holders cut and paste. would love to see more towers cross over into this area.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 Oct 2022 09:16

Called Ablon @ Cedar Springs, the apartment towers are to include more than 400 residential units. The tallest of the high-rises is planned at 20 floors, with retail on the lower floors facing a new public plaza along Throckmorton Street.

So the two towers have the same name? I'm guessing based on the one rendering on the developer's website, that Ablon at Cedar Springs (please don't use "@" in the name, Mike) is phase one. I do like the updated rendering...the vertical lines make it look like the entire building might have a waterfall motif.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Oct 2022 12:50

Yeah the nighttime is a refined version, and I sent it off to a friend to verify if it's the final design, but the first designs were there to get the Oak Lawn committee and city to approve zoning changes. This is a design based on the approved zoning changes. Looks like the S4 patio might get a sound roof to help reduce noise on the patio from reaching residences up above, but they will get echoes, no doubt, no matter what day of the year. S4 has speakers on its exterior on the Cedar Springs side but not on its patio. I heard that S4's patio would shrink some because the rear walls will need to be replaced during construction to weave all the infrastructure together.

Since the Caven bars are now privately owned, they are booking more events and booking more visiting DJs than they used to, so DJ-driven events till 4 in the morning are not going away. The city just approved another 2 yrs for S4 to keep its right to stay open till 4 am. It has to be renewed every two years and requires signatures from residents, around 300-400 who live within a certain distance of the club. We will see if, over time, that relationship sours and residents only want to complain that shocking they live near the bar and shocking there are drunk people every weekend...
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 17 Oct 2022 10:09

Sounds like Old Parkland will keep metastasizing along the other side of Maple.

Historic Dallas dive Grapevine Bar isn’t closing — but it will move
https://www.dallasnews.com/food/drinks/ ... will-move/

The Grapevine Bar is looking for a new home in Dallas. The 26-year-old dive will need to move by mid-2023, when its lease is up.
The recognizable Maple Avenue property was purchased by Crow Holdings, the group that has developed dozens of pockets in Dallas-Fort Worth, including the 12.5-acre Old Parkland campus across the street from the Grapevine.

JDumont146

Postby JDumont146 » 18 Oct 2022 08:40

OrangeMike wrote:Sounds like Old Parkland will keep metastasizing along the other side of Maple.

Historic Dallas dive Grapevine Bar isn’t closing — but it will move
https://www.dallasnews.com/food/drinks/ ... will-move/

The Grapevine Bar is looking for a new home in Dallas. The 26-year-old dive will need to move by mid-2023, when its lease is up.
The recognizable Maple Avenue property was purchased by Crow Holdings, the group that has developed dozens of pockets in Dallas-Fort Worth, including the 12.5-acre Old Parkland campus across the street from the Grapevine.

As much as I like new development in the core neighborhoods, this street is losing all of it's charm very quickly. I lived in that neighborhood for 4ish years and I loved walking to The Grapevine, Sprezza, Val's, and 18th & Vine (There was also Merchant House for a bit but it wasn't very good and closed quickly). Now all that's left is 18th and Vine and I guess they're filling the rest with more private office space? Bleh.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 17 Nov 2022 14:07

Not in the core of Oak Lawn, but off of Maple near Maria Luna Park, an out of state investor has bought an apartment property:

https://rebusinessonline.com/marcus-mil ... in-dallas/

Any word about infill redevelopment of the large 12+ acre superblock site of the demolished housing project on Kings Road nearby? Would be a good place to restore some old-school charm of smaller block ownership and narrower streets, rather than partnering with one master corporation to homogenize and brand it.

kingkong34

Postby kingkong34 » 08 Dec 2022 16:13

2505 Turtle Creek - https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/2505-Turtle-Creek-Blvd-506_Dallas_TX_75219_M85981-81282

Drove by today and they are demolishing the structure on site. They have a huge sign for this project as well.

Edit: This image is a previous development proposal for site.

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 08 Dec 2022 17:11

Aha, appreciate the breaking update

I45Tex

Postby I45Tex » 08 Dec 2022 17:12

After the Empire State Building, this design ... with practically a ladder leaning up the side ...does look like a piece of cake for King Kong to climb. I can imagine you've been keeping an eye out for it

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 08 Dec 2022 17:25

That looks like the one some Canadian developer floated before the pandemic

R1070

Postby R1070 » 08 Dec 2022 19:32

The site being demolished is a different development next door and that's an old rendering from a previous developer who had the site.

Dallas_Uptown

Postby Dallas_Uptown » 09 Dec 2022 15:01

^^^ Correct! I've been following this site for years, and sadly nothing has come of it.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 15 Dec 2022 16:19

Another DMN story about yet another new proposed high-rise MF development in that sliver between Oak Lawn Ave and Turtle Creek (north of Maple, south of Cedar Springs). This area is talked about at a hot spot of development, but all I've seen (besides Toll Brothers) is all hat and no cattle. I suppose the key phrase here is in the title, "in the works." Hard to get excited.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realest ... 5818956568

"The area just north of Uptown is seeing a building boom with a handful of new towers in the works.

Now a Chicago property firm, FRC Realty Inc., has filed plans with the state for a 24-story apartment tower to be constructed just north of Turtle Creek on Brown Street just north of Turtle Creek Boulevard. The property is now occupied by low-rise residential buildings.

The $95 million, 363,863-square-foot residential high-rise was designed by Dallas architect GFF and is planned to start next summer. The building would open in 2025.

The planned project is across Enid Street from where Houston-based developer Hanover Co. is building a 21-story apartment tower on the site of the Turtle Creek Gardens condominiums at 2525 Turtle Creek Blvd.

Two other developers — California-based Nexus Development Corp. and Colorado-based UDR Inc. — have high-rise residential projects in the works on the same block.

Builder Toll Brothers developed its 22-story Aster apartment tower on a nearby Oak Lawn block on Congress Avenue."

Tucy

Postby Tucy » 15 Dec 2022 16:37

LongonBigD wrote:Another DMN story about yet another new proposed high-rise MF development in that sliver between Oak Lawn Ave and Turtle Creek (north of Maple, south of Cedar Springs). This area is talked about at a hot spot of development, but all I've seen (besides Toll Brothers) is all hat and no cattle. I suppose the key phrase here is in the title, "in the works." Hard to get excited.

"The area just north of Uptown is seeing a building boom with a handful of new towers in the works.

Now a Chicago property firm, FRC Realty Inc., has filed plans with the state for a 24-story apartment tower to be constructed just north of Turtle Creek on Brown Street just north of Turtle Creek Boulevard. The property is now occupied by low-rise residential buildings.

The $95 million, 363,863-square-foot residential high-rise was designed by Dallas architect GFF and is planned to start next summer. The building would open in 2025.

The planned project is across Enid Street from where Houston-based developer Hanover Co. is building a 21-story apartment tower on the site of the Turtle Creek Gardens condominiums at 2525 Turtle Creek Blvd.

Two other developers — California-based Nexus Development Corp. and Colorado-based UDR Inc. — have high-rise residential projects in the works on the same block.

Builder Toll Brothers developed its 22-story Aster apartment tower on a nearby Oak Lawn block on Congress Avenue."

Is there really a "building boom", or is it more of a "proposal boom"?
Last edited by Tucy on 16 Dec 2022 09:25, edited 1 time in total.

turtlecreek

Postby turtlecreek » 15 Dec 2022 18:34

Tucy wrote:
LongonBigD wrote:Another DMN story about yet another new proposed high-rise MF development in that sliver between Oak Lawn Ave and Turtle Creek (north of Maple, south of Cedar Springs). This area is talked about at a hot spot of development, but all I've seen (besides Toll Brothers) is all hat and no cattle. I suppose the key phrase here is in the title, "in the works." Hard to get excited.

Is there really a "building boom", or is it more of a "proposal boom"?

Been a proposal boom, hopefully the construction boom follows me from Nashville :)

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 20 Jan 2023 16:00

kingpin wrote:https://candysdirt.com/2019/11/12/oak-lawn-committee-sees-dream-hotel-spark-another-hotel/

5205-4217 Herschel; Herschel Senior Living

The first thing the Oak Lawn Committee asked of the developer was to return with “a legible presentation.” Amen. I’ve bagged on these guys for their terrible presentations since their first trip to the OLC. It’s still not going to win any presentation awards, but there’s more there.

The above graphic shows their zoned height (240-feet) and what they’re proposing (142-feet + 15-feet for elevator housing and mechanicals). They’re also showing it in reference to nearby buildings – two stories plus mechanicals taller than the Park Highlander condos – so not outlandish. They do want to increase FAR from 4.5 to 5.5 of buildable square footage for each square footage of lot. That increase results in two additional floors – not dire. Some protesters say the height will “stick out like a sore thumb”. Not really. And in theory, it could stick out 10 more stories.

They’re proposing 140 units total with 64 parking spaces, all but a dozen underground. That might seem like too few parking spaces, but code only requires 42 for senior living and besides, do you want people in “memory care” to be driving anyway?

I’ve never had a problem with this project’s intentions. The issues arose from their slapdash presentation causing them to revisit the Oak Lawn Committee multiple times. Will this iteration be enough? We’ll see.

ImageUntitled by rlopez2011, on Flickr

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 20 Feb 2023 10:42

Historic Dallas Braniff building hits the market again
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -QEhzMx7Ec

Davidson Bogel Real Estate’s Jake Milner said potential buyers are already sizing up the property.
“We have been approached from a few different groups that would convert the building to multifamily and are exploring options,” Milner said in an email.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before the same happens to the Cabana building. We'll see.

IcedCowboyCoffee

Postby IcedCowboyCoffee » 20 Feb 2023 11:04

lakewoodhobo wrote:Historic Dallas Braniff building hits the market again
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -QEhzMx7Ec

Davidson Bogel Real Estate’s Jake Milner said potential buyers are already sizing up the property.
“We have been approached from a few different groups that would convert the building to multifamily and are exploring options,” Milner said in an email.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before the same happens to the Cabana building. We'll see.

You're probably right. The one thing the Cabana needs more than anything is for the electrical substation to move so I don't know if it would fare any better in someone else's hands, but I'd like to see someone try. I assume Centurion is struggling for cash at this point.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 20 Feb 2023 12:11

Ugh. Still hoping it is turned into a boutique hotel so it is more likely to have a publicly accessible Braniff themed lounge/bar/restaurant.

rono3849

Postby rono3849 » 20 Feb 2023 17:49

I felt that the proposed hotel was floundering since absolutely nothing was happening to the site except more broken windows. The building has become an eyesore along the Tollway. The building itself will need a lot of rehab.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 21 Feb 2023 15:11

Could be fun to turn them into Branniff themed/styled apartments in the spirit of the TWA Hotel at JFK.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 16 Mar 2023 21:40

I probably missed this, but what's going on with the Capital One at Lemmon and Douglas? It's closed and fenced off. Looks like it will be demolished. It could be for renovation, but it's less than 10 years old.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 16 Mar 2023 22:51

Matt777 wrote:I probably missed this, but what's going on with the Capital One at Lemmon and Douglas? It's closed and fenced off. Looks like it will be demolished. It could be for renovation, but it's less than 10 years old.

That fence has been up for weeks. I thought the same, too new to demo, prime location, etc. Typically these bank buildings are rebranded to another bank. I think these days, banks are shedding physical branches so maybe not. Perhaps someone wants to upgrade their branch size or location.

Bottom line, I am thinking they put the fence up so people don’t park there who are eating at Gloria’s or Eggsellent Cafe. That could be a huge liability for the owner for damages. I’m sure Capital One had a long term lease and paid a nice breakage fee. The owner is probably taking their sweet time to consider all options.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 17 Mar 2023 09:46

A similar fence and zoning change sign has been up at the old Long John Silvers building by the Taco Bell.

Mia's old building was demolished this week.

jrp2066

Postby jrp2066 » 17 Mar 2023 09:59

LongonBigD wrote:
Matt777 wrote:I probably missed this, but what's going on with the Capital One at Lemmon and Douglas? It's closed and fenced off. Looks like it will be demolished. It could be for renovation, but it's less than 10 years old.

That fence has been up for weeks. I thought the same, too new to demo, prime location, etc. Typically these bank buildings are rebranded to another bank. I think these days, banks are shedding physical branches so maybe not. Perhaps someone wants to upgrade their branch size or location.

Bottom line, I am thinking they put the fence up so people don’t park there who are eating at Gloria’s or Eggsellent Cafe. That could be a huge liability for the owner for damages. I’m sure Capital One had a long term lease and paid a nice breakage fee. The owner is probably taking their sweet time to consider all options.

As soon as this branch closed, it became a magnet for unhoused people to loiter during the day and sleep at night. My guess is that the fence was constructed to keep this from happening.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 25 Mar 2023 16:38

R1070 wrote:A similar fence and zoning change sign has been up at the old Long John Silvers building by the Taco Bell.

Mia's old building was demolished this week.

The site next to Taco Bell is supposed to be a Salad N Go.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 26 Mar 2023 05:34

uptown74 wrote:The site next to Taco Bell is supposed to be a Salad N Go.

Well, that would be better than the title-loan-and-broke that it used to be ;)
(In its time, it was 1 of 4 title loan places in that block! Still unbelievable....)

The_Overdog

Postby The_Overdog » 27 Mar 2023 09:18

Well, that would be better than the title-loan-and-broke that it used to be ;)

IDk, a drive-through only salad place (they only occasionally even have a sad-even by suburban standards patio) vs a title loan store? That's a real Sophie's Choice. Predatory loans vs suburban gentrification? I think I'd rather have the title loan store.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 27 Mar 2023 09:56

I just wish one developer would put together a Mid-rise Apartment development between Oak Lawn and the Tollway somewhere along Lemmon. The land usage density along there is abysmal.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 09 Apr 2023 19:35

Saw a post about this Toll Brothers proposal on the Friends of Oak Lawn fb page.
https://masterplantexas.com/3601cedarsprings/

It would replace one-story office buildings at 3601 Cedar Springs.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 09 Apr 2023 20:48

It was only a matter of time before those small buildings there would get snatched up.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 13 Apr 2023 15:55

Cbdallas wrote:I just wish one developer would put together a Mid-rise Apartment development between Oak Lawn and the Tollway somewhere along Lemmon. The land usage density along there is abysmal.

Looks like Trademark Property is going to try, if the zoning change is approved. Just saw this in a fb post on the Friends of Oak Lawn page. Community meeting April 25 at OLUMC.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/friends ... 913065346/

Personally, I'm disappointed that it doesn't seem like it will be an urban H-E-B filling the retail space.

lemmon1.jpg
lemmon2.jpg

R1070

Postby R1070 » 13 Apr 2023 16:12

There needs to be a traffic light at Throckmorton and Lemmon. There's way too much of a gap between lights on Lemmon there. It's a pedestrian nightmare.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 13 Apr 2023 23:14

R1070 wrote:It's a pedestrian nightmare.

It’s an automobile nightmare for sure. No way I would attempt that on foot.

I do think this project is a good fit for the location so long as there is a traffic light installed. Lemmon does need more density and less parking lots. This also bodes well for an eventual Central Market at McKinney and Lemmon. Hoping someone can go to that meeting. I’ll be unavailable that day.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 14 Apr 2023 06:46

Finally something on Lemmon. I hope this starts a trend all the way down to the Tollway and get rid of all of those individual plots and old ugly strip centers and fast food places.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 14 Apr 2023 08:54

But keep the McDs. lol

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 14 Apr 2023 09:32

McD's on first floor of 10 story mid-rise.

Srayldtx

Postby Srayldtx » 14 Apr 2023 11:44

Doesn’t HEB own that block? Are they giving up on a store in that location?

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 14 Apr 2023 11:56

Srayldtx wrote:Doesn’t HEB own that block? Are they giving up on a store in that location?

It kinda sounds like it. The way that usually works is that one party will make an offer to purchase the property, but the offer is contingent. Perhaps contingent on the fact that the city approves their proposed apartment plan. The best way to find out more is to attend the meeting.

OrangeMike

Postby OrangeMike » 14 Apr 2023 12:05

Srayldtx wrote:Doesn’t HEB own that block? Are they giving up on a store in that location?

The limited information on the facebook post makes it seem like HEB is not going to be part of the new development but DCAD still shows HEB as the property owner, at least for now.

It seems odd to me that they would abandon the block they actually own after patiently assembling all of the parcels and waiting out the leases (and enduring the bad PR from pricing townhome owners on the side street out of the neighborhood with lowball offers and forcing the old man's shoe repair shop to move), but who knows.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 14 Apr 2023 14:42

How tall can the buildings along lemmon be?