Oak Lawn

Cbdallas

Re: Oak Lawn

Postby Cbdallas » 18 Oct 2019 11:11

Does anyone know what is taking the old Cedar Grove restaurant space on the corner of the Ilume building. work is taking place inside.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 22 Oct 2019 18:53

Looks like something is going into the old Zephyr space too.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 22 Oct 2019 21:30

Looks like the Strip redevelopment construction will start on Oct 28 , after the Halloween Block Party weekend.

https://dallasvoice.com/construction-se ... ings-road/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Oct 2019 13:26

Yeah, they have been marking the area with spray paint for the underground utilities for the past week. Also, Warwick is already pouring a new sidewalk and yes it's narrow without street parking.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 26 Oct 2019 00:28

muncien

Postby muncien » 28 Oct 2019 09:34

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Re: Rainbow crosswalks

https://www.wired.com/story/pedestrian- ... rosswalks/

I get that you don't want cities just to put up whatever pattern they want, or introducing unnoticeable designs, but prohibiting anything other than the standard seems overkill. I could certainly see that if all crosswalks (or, a good portion of them) were different from each other, it would diminish their presence. That would be a problem. But if they simply restrict how many 'custom' crosswalks there are in a city to say 5%, and make sure they are obviously crosswalks, I think that would make sense. I don't see anything inherently dangerous about rainbow crosswalks.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Oct 2019 10:03

Not to mention the article points out that pedestrian deaths have increased over the last decade but even their own data points to other reasons, not that crosswalk patterns are non-federally approved designs. When its gonna matter is if someone can sue the city successfully claiming the non-federally approved standard was broken and that someone was injured "because" it wasn't an approved design. The Feds like to swing this kind of bat though cause they aren't concerned with cultural sensitivity or diversity if the feds had their way they would beige everything so there is no varied standard and everything is the same. The feds are interested in anything other than making everything the same because its pratical and simple.

This is a battle worth having and I do think it's worth studying the actual results from making crosswalks more prominent with cultural influence. These projects bring awareness to a steep need in the pedestrian focus of our traffic management planning. Such projects serve significant community impact so I think its worth seeing if the Feds can be stonewalled...

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Oct 2019 11:21

Yeah to even IMPLY that a colorful crosswalk is more dangerous than the way a street is designed, particularly when it comes to speed, is laughable and anyone making that suggestion should be tarred and feathered.

j_d_p

Postby j_d_p » 28 Oct 2019 13:26

Cbdallas wrote:Does anyone know what is taking the old Cedar Grove restaurant space on the corner of the Ilume building. work is taking place inside.

Looks like the subdivided the space into two. There is still a lot of leftover furniture inside though so unsure if there is any tenant actually moving in or they are just re-marketing it as two separate spaces.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 28 Oct 2019 14:38

I think 2 smaller spaces will be better. I always felt that one space was too large for a restaurant for that space. Hopeful we can see a new concept open there.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 28 Oct 2019 19:51

If we could get that Bank of America lot redeveloped into something mixed use, that would be a great spot for a trendy hotel like Moxy and some fun restaurant space.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 29 Oct 2019 14:51

j_d_p wrote:
Cbdallas wrote:Does anyone know what is taking the old Cedar Grove restaurant space on the corner of the Ilume building. work is taking place inside.

Looks like the subdivided the space into two. There is still a lot of leftover furniture inside though so unsure if there is any tenant actually moving in or they are just re-marketing it as two separate spaces.

What happened to that restaurant? Seemed like it blew up into a big deal and then disappeared almost overnight.

kingpin

Postby kingpin » 12 Nov 2019 14:45

https://candysdirt.com/2019/11/12/oak-lawn-committee-sees-dream-hotel-spark-another-hotel/

5205-4217 Herschel; Herschel Senior Living

The first thing the Oak Lawn Committee asked of the developer was to return with “a legible presentation.” Amen. I’ve bagged on these guys for their terrible presentations since their first trip to the OLC. It’s still not going to win any presentation awards, but there’s more there.

The above graphic shows their zoned height (240-feet) and what they’re proposing (142-feet + 15-feet for elevator housing and mechanicals). They’re also showing it in reference to nearby buildings – two stories plus mechanicals taller than the Park Highlander condos – so not outlandish. They do want to increase FAR from 4.5 to 5.5 of buildable square footage for each square footage of lot. That increase results in two additional floors – not dire. Some protesters say the height will “stick out like a sore thumb”. Not really. And in theory, it could stick out 10 more stories.

They’re proposing 140 units total with 64 parking spaces, all but a dozen underground. That might seem like too few parking spaces, but code only requires 42 for senior living and besides, do you want people in “memory care” to be driving anyway?

I’ve never had a problem with this project’s intentions. The issues arose from their slapdash presentation causing them to revisit the Oak Lawn Committee multiple times. Will this iteration be enough? We’ll see.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Dec 2019 15:34

Coffeeshop and hot dog joint at Dallas' Centrum building pull the plug
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... wn-closed/

This place is super close to me, so I'm sad to see it go. Once they closed the Lower Greenville location, I definitely got worried that the same might happen here.

What worries me more is how much empty space is still available at the Centrum and how Oak Lawn really struggles to evovle with the rest of the city. There's still a lot of suburban/car-oriented development going on here, I was hoping the retail at the Centrum would do better and maybe drive more foot traffic and encourage more development here.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 19 Dec 2019 16:07

I think the coffee shop is doing well but that location tucked on the side street is not the best for a casual food joint. Also the service left a lot to be desired. This spot might be better suited to a retail service business. I did love their fried pickle spears though....

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 19 Dec 2019 16:15

Pints and Quarts was a VERY mediocre burger joint that charged around $15+ for a basic cheeseburger, fries, and soda. Anything additional took you closer to $20. I’m not surprised at all that they’ve closed both locations.

If Rodeo Goat opened a location in the same spot with their fantastic product at a fair price, I don’t think it would be empty like Pints and Quarts was. There’s some street facing parking and plenty of parking in the garage. Si Lom Thai is in the office building across the street, hidden in a basement, accessible basically only through a fairly obscure garage and they do massive business. Because they have a good product at a good price.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Dec 2019 16:33

I also really disliked Pints & Quarters, and hated the fact that the two places were 'connected' yet had two completely opposite vibes.

Mudsmith was fantastic with great atmosphere and plenty of seating. Pints & Quarts was such an ugly looking space, with mediocre food, and prices weren't all that great. I liked that they had a bar with a decent beer selection, but it's definitely not the type of place I'd go for a beer. I'd sometimes grab a beer from that bar and hang out in Mudsmith instead.

JDumont146

Postby JDumont146 » 19 Dec 2019 19:41

Completely agree with everyone about Pints and Quarts. Bad service, bad prices, not a great product. Mille Lire and Union do very well over there so I don't think it's the location or lack of traffic. I walk with my wife and son down to Union all the time.

R1070

Postby R1070 » 19 Dec 2019 21:04

Glad to hear Union is doing well and maybe business will pick up even more with Mudsmith gone.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 19 Dec 2019 21:35

Yes, this is good timing for Union. When Union was announced, I was actually thinking they might struggle with Mudsmith around the corner, but I guess I was wrong about that.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 06 Jan 2020 15:26

So what are they doing to that great open-air patio that Zephyr's had, and totally enclosing it like that?
I'm not a fan.

https://www.dallasobserver.com/restaura ... 0-11823258
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 06 Jan 2020 16:23

It will mainly be a bar with some food. Notice entrance looks to be moving to side street as well.

flyswatter

Postby flyswatter » 06 Jan 2020 20:18

I mean, it's January. I would think it's temporary covering for the patio so they can fill more tables. Close it in and heat it and you can use those tables where you would otherwise not be able to when it's cold outside and open air. I bet once it warms up they remove it.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 09 Jan 2020 10:01

New Oak Lawn apartment tower on the way near Turtle Creek

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... tle-creek/

The developer who just purchased a block in Dallas’ Oak Lawn neighborhood plans to build a 20-story apartment tower.

Crescent Communities recently purchased the building site on Irving Avenue, near the intersection of Oak Lawn and Avondale avenues. The buildings on the property were acquired from AT&T, which operated a service center and offices at the location.

The planned Novel Turtle Creek high-rise will have 206 luxury apartments and is just south of Highland Park

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 09 Jan 2020 12:05

Great news! We need more towers and density on this side of town, and I'd really like to see way more re-development along Oak Lawn Ave.

FYI, I think there is already a thread for this project:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=770

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Jan 2020 09:15

Not sure this is what I think it is, but I remember seeing a drawing a while back of an expanded median and crosswalk/refuge from the Legacy monument to the Centrum (second photo is from this morning). Anything that facilitates pedestrian movement across this intersection would be great.

Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

Update: Here is the plan I remembered seeing.

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 10.08.28 AM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eburress

Postby eburress » 22 Jan 2020 09:50

Oh huh, I haven't seen this yet. It looks like the wider median is coming at the cost of that turn lane, but I wonder if they're planning to reclaim some space on the other side of the westbound lanes so that there will still be a turn lane. I'm also all for promoting pedestrian uses so this may be a fine tradeoff, but turning left onto SB Cedar Springs is going to be a challenge without that turn lane! haha

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 22 Jan 2020 11:34

ANY improvement at that intersection would be much appreciated. We would charge our EV at the Walgreens charging station on this corner (hey, it's free) and hop over to Mudsmith (RIP) to hang out, nearly dying every time we crossed the road. haha

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 22 Jan 2020 12:00

I'm glad to see this. I still think Oak Lawn Ave has a long ways to go before it is more pedestrian friendly, but it's good to see steps being taken to try and improve the area.

uptown74

Postby uptown74 » 22 Jan 2020 17:55

I wonder what the "Gateway Marker" is going to be exactly? ...

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 23 Jan 2020 10:13

Well, most of the plans were signed off in secret by the Mayors LGBT Task Force so no one seems to know and everyone I ask at City Hall gives me the brush off. The Cedars Springs Blvd redo is the most annoying close to home boondoggle project yet, for me personally anyway. After the businesses rejected all iterations of a complete street the city developed a new plan with "neighborhood leaders" who aren't listed or do anything accessible to the public. Don't worry though we are getting some new handicap ramps and some rainbow crosswalks so zip-a-dee-do-dah. The neighborhood needs more than some rainbow paint if it wants to evolve and be the progressive neighborhood it offers itself to be. Its already on the path to becoming just a massive sell-off once developers are ready to write some serious checks and rainbow crosswalks won't preserve anything. Paint on this pig will do nothing from stopping it from heading to the slaughterhouse.

Zmitz

Postby Zmitz » 28 Jan 2020 09:46

https://candysdirt.com/2020/01/22/counc ... nd-lemmon/

The mixed use tower next to Eatzi's was approved, seems like a decent if not great addition to the area. The link below is more detailed information about the project.

https://0201.nccdn.net/4_2/000/000/079/ ... 0-2019.pdf

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jan 2020 10:04

It also looks like the parking in front of Hunky's will now be a plaza. They eliminated all the straight in parking right next to the intersection of Cedar Springs and Throckmorton. The city has also built curb bump-outs at the intersection to narrow traffic from highspeed turns on the north side. Its gonna piss so many people off too to adapt to the change.

eburress

Postby eburress » 28 Jan 2020 10:10

Very cool - that'll be a huge improvement for that spot!

R1070

Postby R1070 » 28 Jan 2020 10:17

cowboyeagle05 wrote:It also looks like the parking in front of Hunky's will now be a plaza. They eliminated all the straight in parking right next to the intersection of Cedar Springs and Throckmorton. The city has also built curb bump-outs at the intersection to narrow traffic from highspeed turns on the north side. Its gonna piss so many people off too to adapt to the change.
looks like some spaces may have been eliminated at the Reagan crosswalk too.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jan 2020 10:22

Basically all the little intersections with Cedar Springs in this stretch now have narrower intersections with ADA ramps and bump-outs. They aren't done but are progressing nicely. Also at the Intersection of Wycliff and Cedar Springs now has what appears to be a large plaza on the Kroger side. When I say Plaza so far it basically looks like the corner just has a larger paved area but nothing else. The project was described as giving us "gateways" so I hope its more than a few bump-outs and larger concrete at two intersections.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Jan 2020 10:25

cowboyeagle05 wrote:It also looks like the parking in front of Hunky's will now be a plaza. They eliminated all the straight in parking right next to the intersection of Cedar Springs and Throckmorton. The city has also built curb bump-outs at the intersection to narrow traffic from highspeed turns on the north side. Its gonna piss so many people off too to adapt to the change.

I've heard that Panda's (next to JR's) is closing. Haven't been there in years so I don't remember the layout of that space, but whatever takes its place they really need to get rid of the dark glass windows and make it look more inviting, not that Roy G's will be much better with its boarded-up patio.

Also, when I think of gateway markers I'm picturing what they did with Northalsted in Chicago.
1311957892-rypix.jpg

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 28 Jan 2020 10:48

Great news!!! I'm so excited to actually see something big like this come to the Oak Lawn area!

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 28 Jan 2020 12:10

Rainbow Pegasus statues for the gateways. Let’s do it.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jan 2020 12:33

I doubt any of it will be worth any cheering. The budget was very small for this project and was mostly allocated to a new traffic light at Knight and Cedar Springs and some sidewalks improved where we have seen already. The Gateway markers were not shown other than references to the Uptown markers we have seen so it will be something rather basic. I doubt they will do anything significant for fear of upsetting the community. If they do modest signage they will upset fewer people.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 28 Jan 2020 14:55

I will just be glad that all of this will slow down traffic on Cedar Springs and make the entire area more walk able. (looking forward to actually crossing the street to walk to Kroger at Knight without risking my life) Maybe this will eventually include updating and improving the strip center at Knight with the Valero with something more friendly, even some new tenants up and down the street and bring some life during the daytime.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jan 2020 15:11

Hahaha, no new tenants are coming I assure you. Unless the long term gay-oriented ownership of most of the land around here finally gives up and retires to a tropical island somewhere. They are all holding out for some magic day where they can charge Uptown prices but offer the same service and quality as always. The newest tenants in the neighborhood have been a nail salon, a smoke shop and Zephyr's. Guess who is still around from that grouping. I am not even sure Tap House will survive over the next year.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 28 Jan 2020 16:40

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Hahaha, no new tenants are coming I assure you. Unless the long term gay-oriented ownership of most of the land around here finally gives up and retires to a tropical island somewhere. They are all holding out for some magic day where they can charge Uptown prices but offer the same service and quality as always. The newest tenants in the neighborhood have been a nail salon, a smoke shop and Zephyr's. Guess who is still around from that grouping. I am not even sure Tap House will survive over the next year.

Mr. Misster has done surprisingly well though. I couldn't believe it was so busy on a Sunday afternoon, last time I was there.

Ronnieindallas

Postby Ronnieindallas » 28 Jan 2020 21:49

Pandas is going out of business.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 28 Jan 2020 22:42

Mr. Mister is only busy on Sundays. They are consistently empty every other day of the week they are open. A bar needs more than one day a week to survive and keep good bartending talent. Most of the bartending staff are from bars that either failed from similar mistakes or places that never created a long term following so once the new wore off they had no sustainable customer base. Mr Mister has barely been open in terms of time. I don't count them out yet but they have yet to prove they can survive. More and more gay bars are closing not opening in the DFW market they are chasing a vastly shrinking market. The gay bars arent as busy as they used to be in general and being gay isn't enough to keep a customer base excited.

Panda is closing. They were dependent on bar/drunk crowds they weren't open for any other hours.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 29 Jan 2020 18:33

OrangeMike wrote:Historic Braniff Airways hostess dorm on the tollway will be restored for retail and office space

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ice-space/

Bar and restaurant on the first floor, office space above.

Looks like the office/retail plan is dead and Centurion American (Statler, Cabana) is now proposing an 82-room hotel. Much-better plan IMO.

83239839_10102161266117413_6368204574498488320_o.jpg
84679203_10102161265832983_5959097901488537600_o.jpg

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 30 Jan 2020 09:11

lakewoodhobo wrote:
OrangeMike wrote:Historic Braniff Airways hostess dorm on the tollway will be restored for retail and office space

Looks like the office/retail plan is dead and Centurion American (Statler, Cabana) is now proposing an 82-room hotel. Much-better plan IMO.

83239839_10102161266117413_6368204574498488320_o.jpg84679203_10102161265832983_5959097901488537600_o.jpg

But will there be enough parking for a hotel there?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 30 Jan 2020 12:23

itsjrd1964 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:

83239839_10102161266117413_6368204574498488320_o.jpg84679203_10102161265832983_5959097901488537600_o.jpg

But will there be enough parking for a hotel there?

It's a restoration project. I don't think any new parking requirements can be imposed on already existing structure.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 Jan 2020 12:33

The benefit with a hotel is that you can mandatory valet so if they have to they can make a deal for some offsite parking. Not to mention, unlike a residential property you won't have every room tied to a person with a car. Its often that many travelers will use Uber or Lyft or a friend would pick them up. An office building tenant would most like to have a certain parking ratio unless you leas to a lot of small 1 to 3 person offices who will make it work.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 30 Jan 2020 16:14

I am happier to see this become a hotel for this area.