Downtown Dallas - 505 North Ervay (owned by First Baptist)

dukemeredith

Downtown Dallas - 505 North Ervay (owned by First Baptist)

Postby dukemeredith » 03 Oct 2018 12:18

First Baptist Dallas takes out permit to tear down 1940s-era office building

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... e-building

An exact use for the 11-story office building has not been determined, a spokeswoman said. But in general, it will be used to accommodate the explosive growth of a church that now has a membership of 13,000.

I’ve opined in another thread that this building could be repurposed as apartments — helping to bridge the emptiness between EMC and the Arts District.

Tivo_Kenevil

Re: Downtown Dallas - 505 North Ervay (owned by First Baptist)

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 03 Oct 2018 12:23

So are they destroying it or repurposing it?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 Oct 2018 12:57

I saw this yesterday and asked Philip Kingston about it, but never heard back. How did they get this permit without the 45-day review required by the Demolition Overlay?

Based on the little information in the story, it sounds like they want even more parking.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 03 Oct 2018 13:13

Wow. This is truly awful and many, many steps back for Downtown. That is a wonderful example of a 1940's streamline moderne building. It would make amazing residential. Why do we allow this to continue to happen? More parking? For suburbanites who come in on Sunday for church and then get the hell out of Downtown as fast as they can?

Are there any protections for this building?

mcrdal15

Postby mcrdal15 » 03 Oct 2018 14:05

Matt777 wrote:Why do we allow this to continue to happen? More parking? For suburbanites who come in on Sunday for church and then get the hell out of Downtown as fast as they can?

Because we have pathetically low voter turnout in this city and way too many swamp creatures maintaining the status quo. Our zoning needs a major overhaul to reflect the changing times. In many ways, we're still stuck in 1950s-60s era urban planning (pre-environmental awareness). We need more people like Patrick Kennedy on-board in order for Central Dallas to reach its fullest potential. I know we have a few Ron Swanson-like naysayers on this forum (car-addicted people in an URBAN FORUM that want front door parking in Downtown!), but the tide is changing. Ervay can certainly use more street-level retail and restaurants, which will contribute to more urban continuity from the EMC Corridor to the Arts District/Klyde Warren Park. Akard, St. Paul, and Harwood are also critical.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 03 Oct 2018 14:15

I was just by this property on Sunday imagining it as residential with street retail. I hope it's not a done deal.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 03 Oct 2018 14:28

mcrdal15 wrote:
Matt777 wrote:Why do we allow this to continue to happen? More parking? For suburbanites who come in on Sunday for church and then get the hell out of Downtown as fast as they can?

Because we have pathetically low voter turnout in this city and way too many swamp creatures maintaining the status quo. Our zoning needs a major overhaul to reflect the changing times. In many ways, we're still stuck in 1950s-60s era urban planning (pre-environmental awareness). We need more people like Patrick Kennedy on-board in order for Central Dallas to reach its fullest potential. I know we have a few Ron Swanson-like naysayers on this forum (car-addicted people in an URBAN FORUM that want front door parking in Downtown!), but the tide is changing. Ervay can certainly use more street-level retail and restaurants, which will contribute to more urban continuity from the EMC Corridor to the Arts District/Klyde Warren Park. Akard, St. Paul, and Harwood are also critical.

True True. We should form some sort of coalition of people who actually care and have no connections to the old boys club in Dallas or corporations. A grassroots campaign to elect new officials. There's not many things I can point to with our current leadership as a good way to move forward. We have attracted enough corporations and developers, but it's time to improve quality of life or they will move on to greener pastures.

muncien

Postby muncien » 03 Oct 2018 14:35

I think I have been in this building... MANY years ago. If I'm not mistaken, the ceilings are quite low, and would be difficult to re purpose for today's market. I know the Statler was able to pull it off, but that building has some architectural distinction to make up for it.
As for this one... I've always thought it was quite drab. But, I have learned repeatedly that what I find architecturally attractive is quite different than what others on this forum do. I'm curious what they have in mind here.
Also, It looks like the demo permit was pulled in July. So, I assume that means the 45 day period is over. It's also amusing that the church bought this building for $1.1m WOW
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 03 Oct 2018 14:56

muncien wrote:I think I have been in this building... MANY years ago. If I'm not mistaken, the ceilings are quite low, and would be difficult to re purpose for today's market. I know the Statler was able to pull it off, but that building has some architectural distinction to make up for it.
As for this one... I've always thought it was quite drab. But, I have learned repeatedly that what I find architecturally attractive is quite different than what others on this forum do. I'm curious what they have in mind here.
Also, It looks like the demo permit was pulled in July. So, I assume that means the 45 day period is over. It's also amusing that the church bought this building for $1.1m WOW

People said the same about the Statler and now it's a jewel. With some cleaning up, this building would be a beautiful condo/apartment building with ground floor retail. Those terraces at the top would make lovely penthouse garden terraces. Windows are plentiful so the units would be filled with natural light and could be great loft spaces.

It reminds me of the Shangri La Hotel in Santa Monica:

505 North Ervay, Dallas

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 03 Oct 2018 15:04

What other properties are owned by this church?

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 03 Oct 2018 15:23

ERN Architects proposed converting this to residential a few years ago. The description from their website (http://ern-architects.com/ERNARCHITECTS2/ern-architects-portfolio-projects/monroe-building-505-ervay-dallas-texas-j-n-mccammon-walter-ahlschlager-1949/#):

505 Ervay, The Monroe Building.
The 106,000 square foot building will contain 88 new, one and two bedroom apartments. These new homes will be characterized by the use of the exposed concrete structure and masonry spandrels as the focus of the loft interiors. New minimalist features such as millwork, faucets, fixtures and hardware will clearly identify the new construction from the original, historic building elements. The mechanical penthouse will be cleared of outdated equipment and converted into two luxury penthouse units creating an additional floor of living space which will have views of the city scape from rooftop patios. The ground floor will preserve the original lobby and house retail tenants and classroom space for the neighboring First Baptist Church. ERN Architects prepared the application for federal historic tax credits. Client; Intradel Corporation, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Architect Walter William Ahlschlager (http://demo.processwire.com/architects/walter-w-ahlschlager/) also designed the Mercantile National Bank Building and Mercantile Continental Building.

I've always liked the design of this building and hoped that it would be saved, but given the track record of First Baptist I'm not surprised they want to obliterate it. The building is directly connected to the adjacent First Baptist parking garage.

A few photos of how the building looked in the late 1970s:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10166952@N08/3753596574/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10166952@N08/3752787429/

Here's the history (it has changed names many times over the years): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/505_North_Ervay

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 03 Oct 2018 16:08

This is so damn typical of the asswipes in Dallas. Destroy the city and erase more of it's history and uniqueness! This is why Dallas will never feel like a proper city.

muncien

Postby muncien » 03 Oct 2018 17:07

Perhaps it's just the color scheme and sad first floor... but it looks like a top heavy turd to me. Perhaps if they were able to open up the first floor with all glass, and bring that glass up through the second level to give a better ground level appearance it would work.
I still would like to see what the church has to offer. They sure did a heck of a lot better incorporating multiple uses into their newest garage than the new garage next to it. Now that is something that should never have happened.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 03 Oct 2018 17:51

muncien wrote:Perhaps it's just the color scheme and sad first floor... but it looks like a top heavy turd to me. Perhaps if they were able to open up the first floor with all glass, and bring that glass up through the second level to give a better ground level appearance it would work.
I still would like to see what the church has to offer. They sure did a heck of a lot better incorporating multiple uses into their newest garage than the new garage next to it. Now that is something that should never have happened.

The current color scheme and flaking paint is definitely a detractor. I believe originally it had a marble base which received the popular beige stucco treatment in the 1970s. Originally, it probably resembled the Mercantile Continental Building (designed by the same architect). https://goo.gl/maps/W7e8EeL2H7K2

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 03 Oct 2018 18:06

Comments on other threads suggest that this is part of a larger project to demolish/redevelop the entire block. First Baptist Academy recently vacated the Spurgeon Harris Building (see image below) and moved to a new campus in East Dallas. There's also the surface lot behind 505 North Ervay adjacent to the pedestrian network and pocket park-turned-First Baptist private playground along Akard. The Bullington truck terminal ramp (operated by the City of Dallas) borders the property.

View from Federal Street: https://goo.gl/maps/RHjnZ8jf72B2

1280px-First_Baptist_Academy_Dallas_Downtown_Campus.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 03 Oct 2018 18:54

The buildings they want demolished connect to city owned property (the skyway). Maybe we have some leverage here. I think First Baptist knows that, and for that reason was trying to sneak the demolition by everyone before announcing the larger plans. If they need some kind of permit or variance or need to demolish city property then we have some leverage.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 03 Oct 2018 19:18

Philip Kingston is on the facebook group pretty much saying he's not willing to do anything and not answering any of the tough questions, like why this didn't get out for 2 months.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 Oct 2018 19:58

Wow, what a shame

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 03 Oct 2018 21:29

SRO would be nice.

muncien

Postby muncien » 04 Oct 2018 09:08

One thing I am not to concerned about would be the buildings getting torn down and sitting as empty lots, like so many others we have seen. FBD doesn't operate in that way...
If this is a remake/expansion for First Baptist Academy, and they incorporate some solid architecture, it could be a great addition to this part of town. I know that's being a bit optimistic, but I don't see any reason to think that won't happen.
As much as I'd love to see some residential on this end of town, that wasn't the current use of these buildings, and there are certainly plenty of blank canvas lots to work with around here.
Plus, having a state of the art, quality private school to serve more people in the area (if that's the plan) will certainly attract more residential demand. Folks that spend that kinda $$$ for city living don't go to DISD.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 04 Oct 2018 09:51

muncien wrote:One thing I am not to concerned about would be the buildings getting torn down and sitting as empty lots, like so many others we have seen. FBD doesn't operate in that way...
If this is a remake/expansion for First Baptist Academy, and they incorporate some solid architecture, it could be a great addition to this part of town. I know that's being a bit optimistic, but I don't see any reason to think that won't happen.
As much as I'd love to see some residential on this end of town, that wasn't the current use of these buildings, and there are certainly plenty of blank canvas lots to work with around here.
Plus, having a state of the art, quality private school to serve more people in the area (if that's the plan) will certainly attract more residential demand. Folks that spend that kinda $$$ for city living don't go to DISD.

I like your optimism, but they haven't built anything nice in a long time. Their "modern" campus is cold, hidden, does not interact well with the city around it, creates a dead zone, and is horrifically low density for being smack dab in the middle of the center of the 4th largest metro in the USA. Sorry, I am not going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one based off their past behavior. Man, looking at the Truett building they tore down on old google street maps is horrifying.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 04 Oct 2018 10:00

A bigger school would be nice! and really if the Baptists expand, the Methodists, Presbyterians and Catholics ought to follow close behind.... probably. Too often "private Christian school" is code for sheltering kids from "those" people, but the availability would be fantastic for the city.

I think FBC did a great job with the appearance of the new additions, and if they succeed in replacing the old building with something new, I think it'll probably be attractive, at least.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 04 Oct 2018 10:15

I have to walk through the FBC campus to catch my bus and its dead every day surprisingly. I am sure in the late evening activity picks up for night time church activities but I will bet $20 the new project will mostly be a parking garage. Sure they may build some space on the top of the garage for a school or other activities they need room for but I guarantee it will be a large parking garage with very limited ground floor accessible space.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

muncien

Postby muncien » 04 Oct 2018 10:35

I know we have selective memory when it comes to some of these things... But, I used to pass by the old campus as part of my nightly run 12 years ago... That entire stretch of St Paul used to be absolutely dreadful. There was a chain link parking lot for buses, surface parking across the street, and very poor street interaction. I tended to run faster along this stretch just to get away from it. Was the old building aesthetically attractive? Sure... But pretending this wasn't 'dead space' before is a bit of a stretch.
When first baptist built their new garage, they put all their Sunday school classes fronting St. Paul to hide their garage. They also put garage access in the alley instead of along St Paul proper, and skinned the building to match with the rest of their campus. Most casual observers don't even recognize that as a garage. The new monstrosity built right next to it (for the neighboring office building) is a different story, and should never have been allowed to happen.
The new campus also did a great job of opening the entire common area to the outside with walls of glass, incorporating the historic sanctuary, and activating the plaza with a dynamic water feature, while other developments that have come along simply built concrete driveways for valet drop offs. I'm not saying it's perfect by any means... I know the aesthetic isn't for all, and we did loose a beautiful brick building in the process. But pretending this area was worsened by the project is a bit of a stretch.
Plus, I don't think either of the two buildings currently on the chopping block have near the character as the Truett building. True, I am a bit overly optimistic here... but I think there is room for it.

Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7844895 ... !1e4?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7852873 ... !1e4?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7842193 ... !1e4?hl=en

After: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.784466, ... !1e4?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7852801 ... !1e4?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.784156, ... !1e4?hl=en
Last edited by muncien on 04 Oct 2018 10:55, edited 4 times in total.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 04 Oct 2018 10:44

You know they got a deal on those plank-looking precast concrete panels and they're just dying to cover another block-size building in that.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 04 Oct 2018 13:13

muncien wrote: That entire stretch of St Paul used to be absolutely dreadful. There was a chain link parking lot for buses, surface parking across the street, and very poor street interaction. I tended to run faster along this stretch just to get away from it. Was the old building aesthetically attractive? Sure... But pretending this wasn't 'dead space' before is a bit of a stretch.

Oh come on, turning dead space into newer dead space should not be applauded in any way, in fact it is worse. Much of Downtown Dallas and Deep Ellum was as described before, empty spaces interjected with old, neglected buildings. The difference is, developers with vision and skill and an appreciation for the neighborhood came in and rehabbed, built new spaces, freshened things up, and now EMC is pretty nice and lively Downtown. First Baptist did the opposite. Demolished as far as the eye could see and built a new space that was just as dead and just as cold. Nothing has changed, if you walk through this area at night now you will be the ONLY person walking there and lord jefreess help you if someone up to no good is in that area because you are F***ED.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 04 Oct 2018 13:40

tamtagon wrote:A bigger school would be nice! and really if the Baptists expand, the Methodists, Presbyterians and Catholics ought to follow close behind.... probably. Too often "private Christian school" is code for sheltering kids from "those" people, but the availability would be fantastic for the city.

I think FBC did a great job with the appearance of the new additions, and if they succeed in replacing the old building with something new, I think it'll probably be attractive, at least.

The school is gone. It moved to East Dallas in January. Link: http://fbacademy.com/fba-new-campus-ribbon-cutting/

And prior to being in the Spurgeon Harris building it was in the Burt Building (demolished).

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 04 Oct 2018 13:51

muncien wrote:I know we have selective memory when it comes to some of these things... But, I used to pass by the old campus as part of my nightly run 12 years ago... That entire stretch of St Paul used to be absolutely dreadful. There was a chain link parking lot for buses, surface parking across the street, and very poor street interaction. I tended to run faster along this stretch just to get away from it. Was the old building aesthetically attractive? Sure... But pretending this wasn't 'dead space' before is a bit of a stretch.
When first baptist built their new garage, they put all their Sunday school classes fronting St. Paul to hide their garage. They also put garage access in the alley instead of along St Paul proper, and skinned the building to match with the rest of their campus. Most casual observers don't even recognize that as a garage. The new monstrosity built right next to it (for the neighboring office building) is a different story, and should never have been allowed to happen.
The new campus also did a great job of opening the entire common area to the outside with walls of glass, incorporating the historic sanctuary, and activating the plaza with a dynamic water feature, while other developments that have come along simply built concrete driveways for valet drop offs. I'm not saying it's perfect by any means... I know the aesthetic isn't for all, and we did loose a beautiful brick building in the process. But pretending this area was worsened by the project is a bit of a stretch.
Plus, I don't think either of the two buildings currently on the chopping block have near the character as the Truett building. True, I am a bit overly optimistic here... but I think there is room for it.

Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7844895 ... !1e4?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7852873 ... !1e4?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7842193 ... !1e4?hl=en

After: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.784466, ... !1e4?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7852801 ... !1e4?hl=en
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.784156, ... !1e4?hl=en

I forgot about the timeline options for street view. Major changes for downtown Dallas in the past 10 years (I forgot how grungy/empty areas were when I lived there in 2007).

Here's another visual reminder of what was demolished in Phase 1.

mcrdal15

Postby mcrdal15 » 04 Oct 2018 14:45

Matt777 wrote:
muncien wrote: That entire stretch of St Paul used to be absolutely dreadful. There was a chain link parking lot for buses, surface parking across the street, and very poor street interaction. I tended to run faster along this stretch just to get away from it. Was the old building aesthetically attractive? Sure... But pretending this wasn't 'dead space' before is a bit of a stretch.

Oh come on, turning dead space into newer dead space should not be applauded in any way, in fact it is worse. Much of Downtown Dallas and Deep Ellum was as described before, empty spaces interjected with old, neglected buildings. The difference is, developers with vision and skill and an appreciation for the neighborhood came in and rehabbed, built new spaces, freshened things up, and now EMC is pretty nice and lively Downtown. First Baptist did the opposite. Demolished as far as the eye could see and built a new space that was just as dead and just as cold. Nothing has changed, if you walk through this area at night now you will be the ONLY person walking there and lord jefreess help you if someone up to no good is in that area because you are F***ED.

Those buildings had some character to them and just needed some renovation and more activation at street-level. But I also think the cold and soulless new building fits Jefreess's personality pretty well :lol:

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 04 Oct 2018 16:46

Matt777 wrote:The buildings they want demolished connect to city owned property (the skyway). Maybe we have some leverage here. I think First Baptist knows that, and for that reason was trying to sneak the demolition by everyone before announcing the larger plans. If they need some kind of permit or variance or need to demolish city property then we have some leverage.

They aren't demolishing Spurgeon-Harris (or at least haven't pulled a permit for it), just 505 North Ervay, which isn't connected to the Dallas Pedestrian Network. They're not "sneaking anything by" just because some self-appointed city planners are grasping at every possible straw to preserve a dilapidated eyesore.

World-class cities got where they are because landowners are free to tear down and rebuild historically insignificant buildings as they please. Declining cities are full of old, empty buildings covered with so much "historical preservation" red tape that no sane developer would ever consider a remodel.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 04 Oct 2018 23:40

TNWE wrote:
Matt777 wrote:The buildings they want demolished connect to city owned property (the skyway). Maybe we have some leverage here. I think First Baptist knows that, and for that reason was trying to sneak the demolition by everyone before announcing the larger plans. If they need some kind of permit or variance or need to demolish city property then we have some leverage.

They aren't demolishing Spurgeon-Harris (or at least haven't pulled a permit for it), just 505 North Ervay, which isn't connected to the Dallas Pedestrian Network. They're not "sneaking anything by" just because some self-appointed city planners are grasping at every possible straw to preserve a dilapidated eyesore.

World-class cities got where they are because landowners are free to tear down and rebuild historically insignificant buildings as they please. Declining cities are full of old, empty buildings covered with so much "historical preservation" red tape that no sane developer would ever consider a remodel.

505 N Ervay is not an eyesore. It is a beautiful building representative of its period that was willfully and intentionally allowed to deteriorate by it's neglectful, hateful, ridiculous owner (who has plenty of money to properly care for the structure). The buildings he tore down to build the current "structures" looked like a real city. The new buildings on that campus are an eyesore and do not look like they belong in any real city. They belong off a freeway surrounded by tract houses and big box superstores.

And I'm sorry world class cities do not allow people to go tearing down architecturally significant buildings willy nilly, and if they are more relaxed it is because they have done a proper job of preserving the really good ones (Dallas has done neither). Please get off your soapboax and be realistic. Tearing down some of the last buildings left in Dallas that represent the architecture of the past and to build a parking garage for a hate group megachurch is LITERALLY THE OPPOSITE OF WORLD CLASS. This world is turning upside down.

eburress

Postby eburress » 05 Oct 2018 00:38

TNWE wrote:

It'd be one thing if this building was being remodeled...

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Oct 2018 08:18

dfwcre8tive wrote:The school is gone. It moved to East Dallas in January. Link: http://fbacademy.com/fba-new-campus-ribbon-cutting/

That sucks. The new campus seems like so much more a traditional school with lots of room. It's practically in Mesquite.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 05 Oct 2018 10:08

Matt777 wrote:Please get off your soapboax and be realistic.

Pot, meet Kettle.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 05 Oct 2018 10:37

Hannibal Lecter wrote:

Pot, meet Kettle.

Historic preservation is a worthy cause. Parking garage proliferation is not. Also, this is an URBAN DEVELOPMENT forum. It's literally a soapbox for these kind of things. Not tearing down buildings for parking. If you guys want to start an anti-urban development forum you are free to do so.

mcrdal15

Postby mcrdal15 » 05 Oct 2018 12:18

Matt777 wrote:
Hannibal Lecter wrote:

Pot, meet Kettle.

Historic preservation is a worthy cause. Parking garage proliferation is not. Also, this is an URBAN DEVELOPMENT forum. It's literally a soapbox for these kind of things. Not tearing down buildings for parking. If you guys want to start an anti-urban development forum you are free to do so.

:lol: :lol: I've been saying the same thing. But I occasionally enjoy the humor from our fellow Ron Swansons.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 05 Oct 2018 12:47

A few years ago when I was in NYC, I saw this building, 488 Madison Avenue, and it seriously reminded me of 505 N Ervay. They were both completed in 1949. Of course the New York one is a lot nicer, haha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 06 Oct 2018 16:09

mdg109 wrote:A few years ago when I was in NYC, I saw this building, 488 Madison Avenue, and it seriously reminded me of 505 N Ervay. They were both completed in 1949. Of course the New York one is a lot nicer, haha.

Beautiful, and very similar! Look like they could be big brother and little brother. Our corner could look like that in Dallas, but backwards people would rather destroy this city for personal gain. And our elected officials are happy to help (they usually get cuts).

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 27 Mar 2019 08:28

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/fire-1/ ... -high-rise

This paragraph at the end is a bit strange:

Officials have not determined how the fire started. The building has been undergoing a renovation, he said.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 02 Apr 2019 21:02

Lots of windows taken out now, how do they intend to bring this down? Piece by piece?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 Apr 2019 22:39

14346A7B-6FDC-4695-8E60-35356FFD834E.jpeg

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 10 Apr 2019 10:09

Gross. Just unbelievable considering all the strides we have made towards a more livable Downtown.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Apr 2019 10:14

Churches deserve to be taxed like everyone else and public Universities should be required to follow historical building regulations.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 10 Apr 2019 10:33

Dallas just loves creating parking structures!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Apr 2019 11:40

We build churches to parking cars rather than places for people to meet and understand each other.
The rest question is Would Jesus Use Valet?

muncien

Postby muncien » 10 Apr 2019 12:22

Maybe I have missed it, but does anybody have any idea what this will actually entail and look like? I hear a lot of speculation, but I haven't actually seen anything concrete. Given that I can't find anything on their 'giving' pages, I assume it's not much more than a garage, but there isn't much more to go off of.

I did see some details on their 80k sqft addition (nearly doubling) to their education center. It's really just two, full, habitable floors added on top of their existing garage. Presumably, this is one of the reasons why they need more parking. (?)

@ Cowboyeagle... Have you ever actually been inside the campus? It has a ridiculous amount of space for informal meet/greet. More so than any church I have ever visited, by far. I haven't been there for a couple of years, but those spaces were always teaming with activity. It was nothing like that even ten years ago.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Apr 2019 13:08

muncien wrote:
@ Cowboyeagle... Have you ever actually been inside the campus? It has a ridiculous amount of space for informal meet/greet. More so than any church I have ever visited, by far. I haven't been there for a couple of years, but those spaces were always teaming with activity. It was nothing like that even ten years ago.

My comment was more a generalized about parking garages vs gathering spaces in Dallas. It wasn't exclusive to First Baptist.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 10 Apr 2019 13:50

muncien wrote:

Teeming with activity?? Is April Fools extended for the whole month now? I have lived downtown in 2 different properties for years, including right next door to this complex. It is a dead zone except for a brief amount of time on Sundays when luxury SUVs flood the streets, with no regard to pedestrians and a total ignorance of pedestrian right of way (unless you're protected by their rent a cops), get in the building as fast as they can, and get out of downtown as fast as they can after service. Other than that, this area is deader than the surface parking lot areas the rest of the week. During the week, the only humans present are their private security staff to make sure they can get rid of homeless people if they dare come near their temple of God. Ever notice how this is one of the only areas downtown where you don't see homeless people? That's why.

muncien

Postby muncien » 10 Apr 2019 14:27

Matt777 wrote:
muncien wrote:

Teeming with activity?? Is April Fools extended for the whole month now? I have lived downtown in 2 different properties for years, including right next door to this complex. It is a dead zone except for a brief amount of time on Sundays when luxury SUVs flood the streets, with no regard to pedestrians and a total ignorance of pedestrian right of way (unless you're protected by their rent a cops), get in the building as fast as they can, and get out of downtown as fast as they can after service. Other than that, this area is deader than the surface parking lot areas the rest of the week. During the week, the only humans present are their private security staff to make sure they can get rid of homeless people if they dare come near their temple of God. Ever notice how this is one of the only areas downtown where you don't see homeless people? That's why.

Like I said... It's been a couple of years since I have been there. But the level of activity three years ago (Sunday's obviously, but weekdays too) far exceeded the amount of activity ten years ago. It wasn't even close... Perhaps some of the that has changed with the movement of the Academy, but I can't imagine it's that significant.

Also, your passion is noted, but the 'get in and get out' comment is simply not true. Unlike the Cathedral Guadalupe and First United Methodists campuses, FBD has significant community meeting space that is crowded most of the day on Sunday. Much of their parking challenges was due to the fact that worshipers don't clear out after the service and instead linger, or walk to KWP afterwards. So, even though the population is staggered across multiple service times, the area is essentially full for much of the day.

I am not, and have never been a member of FBD. I have attended many services at both Cathedral Guadalupe, FBD, and even Methodists a couple of times when family comes to visit. I do not align myself with any of them personally, but from a visitors perspective, FBD seems much more inviting, and integrated with the street than the others. When the economy was in the tank, they continued to pour money into area, and back in the day, they were the ONLY significant activity in the CBD on a Sunday.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 11 Apr 2019 00:26

muncien wrote:
Matt777 wrote:
muncien wrote:

Like I said... It's been a couple of years since I have been there. But the level of activity three years ago (Sunday's obviously, but weekdays too) far exceeded the amount of activity ten years ago. It wasn't even close... Perhaps some of the that has changed with the movement of the Academy, but I can't imagine it's that significant.

Also, your passion is noted, but the 'get in and get out' comment is simply not true. Unlike the Cathedral Guadalupe and First United Methodists campuses, FBD has significant community meeting space that is crowded most of the day on Sunday. Much of their parking challenges was due to the fact that worshipers don't clear out after the service and instead linger, or walk to KWP afterwards. So, even though the population is staggered across multiple service times, the area is essentially full for much of the day.

I am not, and have never been a member of FBD. I have attended many services at both Cathedral Guadalupe, FBD, and even Methodists a couple of times when family comes to visit. I do not align myself with any of them personally, but from a visitors perspective, FBD seems much more inviting, and integrated with the street than the others. When the economy was in the tank, they continued to pour money into area, and back in the day, they were the ONLY significant activity in the CBD on a Sunday.

I been going to the 24 hour fitness on Harwood for a good while... Here's my take, based on going to the gym at different parts of the day and week.

The Baptist and Methodist Church are net negatives for downtown.

The Week night services on Wednesday ..dead ... empty .. at MOST there's like 2 people in the st Paul Cafe Everytime I jog by. Most of the time however.. it's closed. Which doesn't even make sense if it's a "meeting" place. The methodist church has such a suburban design in the back of the church.. a literal parking lot that provides no pedestrian space whatsoever...

And don't get me started on the creepy ass music that blares out of the Baptist church...to this day I don't get what the hell (no pun intended) that is supposed to do...scare away the homeless?..

The "need" for garages to me is what's wrong with this city.. Downtown is literally dead on Sunday..you can park anywhere on the street on Sunday morning.. and yet we need more parking since people need to have their hulking SUV parked right next to the church doors..

Honestly, because The methodist church and the Baptist Church are close to each other... They create a huge dead space that offers nothing to downtown Dallas outside of Sunday. I'm surprised people even go there if "parkin'" is so bad... There's literally hundreds of Baptist/Methodist churches around... Seeing a cool old building go out for a stinker project is sad