Single Family Homes by PSW- Lake Highlands across from DART Station

Matt777

Single Family Homes by PSW- Lake Highlands across from DART Station

Postby Matt777 » 01 Oct 2018 16:30

Another wonderful failure by our city leadership and planners..... PSW homes is proposing a single family right across from the Lake Highlands DART Rail Station ( SE corner of Walnut Hill and White Rock Trail). Of course, the city is recommending approval (I think most of them forgot we have a multi billion dollar investment in DART Rail that runs through this very city, Dallas, which they may or may not be residents of based off their decisions and thought processes).

The city is approving changing the zoning from commercial office to single family homes. SMACKING. MY. HEAD. It will be 38 single family lots. This site should have hundreds of housing units on it, mixed use, or an office building which was it's former use. Yes, the LH Town Center near it has been slow to develop but that is no excuse. Just wait for the area to build up some more..... we will be stuck with these single family homes next to a DART Station for decades upon decades.

Starts around page 219:
https://dallascityhall.com/government/m ... Docket.pdf

Hannibal Lecter

Re: Single Family Homes by PSW- Lake Highlands across from DART Station

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 01 Oct 2018 19:33

^ May I suggest you propose rezoning that property MF to the folks who live in that neighborhood. Then come back and tell us their thoughts on the matter.

After you get out of the hospital.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 01 Oct 2018 21:29

Hannibal Lecter wrote:^ May I suggest you propose rezoning that property MF to the folks who live in that neighborhood. Then come back and tell us their thoughts on the matter.

After you get out of the hospital.

It should have been done in the 1990s when the DART line was being built. If anything, the city SHOULD NOT allow it to be downzoned from it's current commercial office zoning to single family home zoning. An office tower with ground level retail and well designed connection to the DART station would be appropriate and allowed under current zoning without having to rile up the neighborhood for a zoning change.

Regardless, when it comes to improving the effectiveness and future of DART rail, I would be in favor of going against neighborhood wishes when we have literally billions of investment on the line.

DBadger

Postby DBadger » 02 Oct 2018 10:00

If I am not mistaken, the Lake Highlands station opened in 2010, 13 years after the blue line opened as additional investment for the now failed Lake Highlands town center (The suburban plaza on the SE corner on Walnut Hill and Skillman with Sprouts and Starbucks)
I do not mind this location being homes at this time (hopefully townhomes or row homes) if the huge open land at the station, NE corner is developed properly later on. There are brand new homes, 52 small lots that are now being built between Haven and Everwood.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Oct 2018 10:32

Lake Highlands Town Center is tricky because on one hand, it was previously overbuilt with cheap apartments that were hurting the surrounding neighborhood. Then they were given a DART station and promised a new West Village that the market wouldn't support.

I actually like the idea of small-lot single family homes, like the ones PSW builds, near some DART stations as long as there's a walkable connection. Not all stops need to be surrounded by 300-unit apartment buildings like the Ambrose Deep Ellum IMO.