Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

lakewoodhobo

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 Apr 2021 13:20

Construction of the Bishop South apartments (across from Bishop North) began this week with demo of the building on N. Madison and 9th. It had the Stevie Ray Vaughan lyrics painted on its west-facing side.

165069995_5287901131252121_1519731542285821445_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 01 Apr 2021 19:38

Has anyone seen the new retail spaces over there on Davis by the Sherwin Williams?! Last i went over there they looked like stucco turds.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 Apr 2021 14:33

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Has anyone seen the new retail spaces over there on Davis by the Sherwin Williams?! Last i went over there they looked like stucco turds.

I drove by this morning and they were laying the brick facade, so at least the central structure is not stucco.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 Aug 2021 15:26

IMG_8381.jpg

Noticed yesterday that "The Mayor's House" is still there, frozen in time and waiting for the numbers to make sense before finally opening. I'm just glad to one original building at the corner of Zang and Davis.

Also saw that the commercial building next door to it has been demolished, so maybe there's a plan to use it as a valet lot.

Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 3.22.48 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 15 Aug 2021 13:27

That Dr office building has been gone for a minute

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 22 Sep 2021 11:18

New phase of the Victor Prosper development - to replace The Local Oak and Ten Bells - to start next year.

More apartments and retail on the way in Dallas’ Bishop Arts district

Dallas-based builder Alamo Manhattan Corp. is eyeing a more than $43 million apartment and retail building to be constructed at Zang Boulevard and 7th Street.

The planned development would include 208 rental units and 10,000 square feet of shop space on a block that’s now occupied by small commercial buildings, planning documents filed with the state show.

Construction on the apartment and retail building would start early next year.

Warrior2020

Postby Warrior2020 » 09 Nov 2021 18:15

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 27 Jun 2022 16:02

The Former Lucia Space Will Become an Australian All-Day Cafe
https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/20 ... -day-cafe/

The Bishop Arts District is about to get an Australian accent.

Isla & Co., an Australian all-day cafe, will open this fall in one of the most iconic addresses in Dallas dining. Lucia moved out of the small space and around the corner in early 2021; Isla & Co. hopes to debut this September.

Although it’s an Aussie-run business, the cafe started in Brooklyn and is expanding rapidly across the country, with locations opening soon in Connecticut, Atlanta, and South Florida.

northsouth

Postby northsouth » 03 Dec 2022 19:50

lakewoodhobo wrote:New phase of the Victor Prosper development - to replace The Local Oak and Ten Bells - to start next year.

More apartments and retail on the way in Dallas’ Bishop Arts district

Dallas-based builder Alamo Manhattan Corp. is eyeing a more than $43 million apartment and retail building to be constructed at Zang Boulevard and 7th Street.

The planned development would include 208 rental units and 10,000 square feet of shop space on a block that’s now occupied by small commercial buildings, planning documents filed with the state show.

Construction on the apartment and retail building would start early next year.

Work on this one started at some point in the last few months. Currently in in the drilling/excavation phase.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 04 Dec 2022 10:41

northsouth wrote:Work on this one started at some point in the last few months. Currently in in the drilling/excavation phase.

I think the site was cleared in October and I see they're just barely starting to get some depth.

Based on the renderings of the streetcar plaza expansion that surfaced in April, it looks like the new building won't look much different from the original plans. I was kinda hoping they would incorporate the breeze blocks left over from The Local Oak, but I'm sure they're in a dumpster somewhere or in storage. Exxir seems to use them a lot in their stuff, so maybe we'll see them in the next phase of Bishop North/South.

IMG_2727 Large.jpeg

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 06 Dec 2022 10:51

Having left Dallas a few years ago, it seems almost everything I recognize about Bishop Arts has been bulldozed or closed down.

That El Corazon was torn down for a CVS still stings. Last time I visited even Ten Bells had a fence surrounding it, a shame that what makes a place, ends up falling victim to its own success.

potatocoins

Postby potatocoins » 06 Dec 2022 10:59

ContriveDallasite wrote:Having left Dallas a few years ago, it seems almost everything I recognize about Bishop Arts has been bulldozed or closed down.

That El Corazon was torn down for a CVS still stings. Last time I visited even Ten Bells had a fence surrounding it, a shame that what makes a place, ends up falling victim to its own success.

Yeah, definitely know what you mean. I was in Austin last month and absolutely felt this way about the South Congress area, and I feel like Bishop Arts is well on its way to that level of transformation.

I'm learning to embrace the change though. I loved how quaint and charming Bishop Arts used to feel, but if these changes will lead to more people and more success, then I'm okay with it.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Dec 2022 23:16

ContriveDallasite wrote:Having left Dallas a few years ago, it seems almost everything I recognize about Bishop Arts has been bulldozed or closed down.

I blame the Family of El Corazon. They truly didn't care. The city is also at fault here.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 09 Dec 2022 08:50

I miss that place! I miss bolsa mercado as well. At least ten bells is relocating in the area. What I have been shocked by is the the pop up bar with the long deep ellum..ish lines to get in. In my experience say a bar or two the place was pretty dead and quiet after 10 pm on weeknights. Now not as much. Maybe all the apartments are being filled with youths wanting to party?

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 10 Jul 2023 02:52

I’ve never seen these renderings of the Victor Prosper Phase II, not sure if y’all have either.

https://www.loopnet.com/viewer/pdf?file ... mflier.pdf

eburress

Postby eburress » 10 Jul 2023 07:08

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Bishop Arts is already a very cool area but imagine what it's going to look like in a few years. It's a pretty unbelievable transformation.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 10 Jul 2023 11:37

eburress wrote:Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Bishop Arts is already a very cool area but imagine what it's going to look like in a few years. It's a pretty unbelievable transformation.

I’m okay with this. It’s one of the better executed examples of making one giant sprawling building look like multiple buildings. Usually I find that awful, but this looks like it could be attractive.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 14 Jul 2023 13:16

eburress wrote:Very cool! Thanks for sharing! Bishop Arts is already a very cool area but imagine what it's going to look like in a few years. It's a pretty unbelievable transformation.

Agreed, that whole area is exploding. It’s cool to watch it transform.

—————————————
Ella on 8th - 225 units

https://quarterra.com/communities/ella

This is where the older mulitfamily was demo’d last year on 8th St

IMG_4880.jpeg

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 18 Aug 2023 22:33

I’m not sure if this was already mentioned a while back, but I am just now hearing about this 50 unit townhome development. It is going in next to the Vance at Bishop Union apt building on Zang Blvd and Neely St. It says “construction estimated to commence Q4 2023”. It’s great to see more development being built along the Dallas Streetcar too. Former El Fenix site and Zang Flats to name a few recent developments.

I found it here on page 7
https://db2re.com/wp-content/uploads/20 ... y-St-1.pdf

IMG_5006.jpeg

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 19 Aug 2023 17:53

dallaz wrote:I’m not sure if this was already mentioned a while back, but I am just now hearing about this 50 unit townhome development. It is going in next to the Vance at Bishop Union apt building on Zang Blvd and Neely St. It says “construction estimated to commence Q4 2023”. It’s great to see more development being built along the Dallas Streetcar too. Former El Fenix site and Zang Flats to name a few recent developments.

IMG_5006.jpeg

I have a feeling Boheme, Zang Flats, and Alamo/Local Oak/Victor Prosper 2 are the last of the streetcar-facing new construction we’ll see for a while, but I would love to be proven wrong.

This part of the Bishop Arts area seems like it’s held hostage to whatever HEB decides to do with their property. Clearly Central Market won’t happen unless Uptown does, so just sell the land and move on.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Aug 2023 18:29

lakewoodhobo wrote:
dallaz wrote:I’m not sure if this was already mentioned a while back, but I am just now hearing about this 50 unit townhome development. It is going in next to the Vance at Bishop Union apt building on Zang Blvd and Neely St. It says “construction estimated to commence Q4 2023”. It’s great to see more development being built along the Dallas Streetcar too. Former El Fenix site and Zang Flats to name a few recent developments.

IMG_5006.jpeg

I have a feeling Boheme, Zang Flats, and Alamo/Local Oak/Victor Prosper 2 are the last of the streetcar-facing new construction we’ll see for a while, but I would love to be proven wrong.

This part of the Bishop Arts area seems like it’s held hostage to whatever HEB decides to do with their property. Clearly Central Market won’t happen unless Uptown does, so just sell the land and move on.

Right across the Intown Town Homes there's lots that have been cleared for awhile now. Idk what is going up there though.

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 25 Sep 2023 16:00

Seems like this one is currently going with the name: Bishop 8th.

https://cityofdallas.legistar.com/Legis ... FullText=1

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 26 Sep 2023 14:27

Is this where the dentist is?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 27 Dec 2023 20:29

Some recent news:

The Mayor's House by Selda opened about 3 weeks ago as Turkish restaurant, completing a historic renovation that began in 2019.
https://themayorshousebyselda.com/

$18M mixed-use tower planned for lot adjacent to Old Adamson campus (I know, a 7-story "tower"; located at 305 N Beckley Ave)
https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2023/1 ... use-tower/

Documents filed with the state show that Art House Tower is expected to house commercial units on the building’s first floor and 70 residential units on the upper six floors

EDIT: Here's where the 7-story building will be located...surprisingly isolated from the other residences, but definitely a step in the right direction as far as adding density.

IMG_2146 Large.jpeg

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 30 Dec 2023 12:54

IMG_2154.JPG

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 12.40.36 PM.png

Re: the final phase of Alamo Manhattan/ Victor Prosper. One thing I hadn't noticed before is how this building extends all the way to N Madison unlike Phase 1 and can actually claim to be in Bishop Arts. If they have any intelligence whatsoever, they will have retail facing W Seventh and N Madison to draw people in from Oddfellows. Not holding my breath though.

IMG_2143 Large.jpeg

Also noticed some equipment parked in the lot south of Bishop North apartments. Hoping for progress on the next phase of this and that woonerf street between the two buildings.