Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

cowboyeagle05

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Aug 2019 09:22

Well, they followed the rules they built around a transit stop... ;)
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

quacksax

Postby quacksax » 13 Aug 2019 20:04

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Well, they followed the rules they built around a transit stop... ;)

If only they weren't separated from it by 6 lanes of high speed traffic and a CVS parking lot :)

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Nov 2019 11:38

Royal Blue planned for West Davis sounds more like a restaurant than a grocery
https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2019/1 ... a-grocery/

Amegy Bank to open in the old Gloria’s site on West Davis
https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2019/1 ... est-davis/

These two stories are an interesting snapshot of the state of the market just outside Bishop Arts. The fact that Royal Blue says they need $700,000 in subsidies to be viable and that a bank took a prime spot clearly designed as a restaurant could mean a lot of different things, but one of them could be that the core of Bishop Arts is expanding too rapidly and needs to settle a bit.

You could also argue that a business like Amegy Bank was needed here before any other new businesses decided to expand in this direction, but this area west of all the recent activity has been a little sleepy anyway due to major road construction over the last year or so.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 11 Nov 2019 13:28

Royal Blue asking for handouts from the city seems pretty lame. I mean, I guess it's shrewd to take free money where you can get it, but it just sends a bad message when it is a pretty high-end grocer.

I don't see them lasting in that spot if they do indeed go forward with it.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 11 Nov 2019 13:46

I don't think that site has enough direct walk-able density to make that model work there even with the $700000. Maybe it should sit idle or become a restaurant. I love the ones downtown but they have a lot more people constantly passing in and out of the store than I think this site would.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 11 Nov 2019 16:20

Cbdallas wrote:I don't think that site has enough direct walk-able density to make that model work there even with the $700000. Maybe it should sit idle or become a restaurant. I love the ones downtown but they have a lot more people constantly passing in and out of the store than I think this site would.

Also there were no continuous sidewalks along Davis St for its entire existence, and that is finally being remedied now. You can design a road for pedestrians and induce demand for walking just like you induce demand for cars by adding lanes. People will walk about a half mile to any place if it's convenient.

The shady thing about this Royal Blue deal is that they're already using the building for its 1,300 square-ft kitchen but say they need the $700k just to make it open to the public. I'm fine with half the money being a low-interest loan, but the $350,000 grant is a bit much.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 13 Nov 2019 12:38

As someone who lives in this neighborhood, and walks as much as we can to Bishop Arts, I don't know 1 person asking for this Royal Blue. We need a Sprouts or Central Market grocery store. The Tom Thumb on Hampton is not good. I can't understand why the Sprouts at El Fenix or the CM on Beckley/Davis isn't being built. If someone surveyed the area every person would say we need a quality grocery store.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Nov 2019 13:00

MC_ScattCat wrote:As someone who lives in this neighborhood, and walks as much as we can to Bishop Arts, I don't know 1 person asking for this Royal Blue. We need a Sprouts or Central Market grocery store. The Tom Thumb on Hampton is not good. I can't understand why the Sprouts at El Fenix or the CM on Beckley/Davis isn't being built. If someone surveyed the area every person would say we need a quality grocery store.

Why isn't the CM coming anymore? Last I checked there was a banner on the site.
I stopped going to the Tom Thumb on Hampton as soon as the VP location opened. Its actually closer to where I'm at.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 13 Nov 2019 14:31

I assume Central Market is waiting for the demographics to change enough before they actually build the Bishop Arts store. I expect to wait quite awhile. A Sprouts in the area would be most welcome. I'd prefer a Sprouts to Central Market actually, for everyday shopping anyway.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 13 Nov 2019 15:55

Yes Sprouts is a good everyday store. I think they will build it eventually, but I (and many others) feel like it's something we need now. We also need another Bolsa Mercado type restaurant. I miss that place!

HarryMoto

Postby HarryMoto » 13 Nov 2019 16:38

I'm kind of surprised Sprouts hasn't gotten in early in North Oak Cliff. The chain obviously has no problem with being south of I-30 since they're in Cedar Hill. You'd think they'd want to beat Central Market and, perhaps eventually Whole Foods, to the punch.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 Nov 2019 17:09

And that Cedar Hill store does quite well.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 13 Nov 2019 17:34

I'm a little surprised too that Sprouts hasn't made a move into North OC. Judging by some of their other locations, Sprouts doesn't seem to need the same kind of average incomes that CM does to open in a neighborhood.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Nov 2019 19:53

ericthegardener wrote:I'm a little surprised too that Sprouts hasn't made a move into North OC. Judging by some of their other locations, Sprouts doesn't seem to need the same kind of average incomes that CM does to open in a neighborhood.

I'm almost certain that the El Fenix at Colorado & Beckley, where Sprouts has been rumored to go, is inside the opportunity zone for NOC. Seeing as how we now have the first development deal in town related to opportunity zones (a self-storage center in West Dallas) I don't see what could be holding this up.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 Nov 2019 21:43

A self storage center is the first development deal!?!

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 13 Nov 2019 22:02

lakewoodhobo wrote:I'm almost certain that the El Fenix at Colorado & Beckley, where Sprouts has been rumored to go, is inside the opportunity zone for NOC. Seeing as how we now have the first development deal in town related to opportunity zones (a self-storage center in West Dallas) I don't see what could be holding this up.

Do we know that El Fenix wants to sell?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 14 Nov 2019 08:22

ericthegardener wrote:Do we know that El Fenix wants to sell?

The owners seem to have hired Kairoi Residential from San Antonio (developers of Amelia Farmers Market) to build a multifamily project on the site.

IMG_5591.JPG

Tnexster wrote:A self storage center is the first development deal!?!

Sadly yes: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... e-projects
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Nov 2019 15:20

^That seems quite odd to me since that something like this would qualify. It is new development but most storage facilities I have ever been in have one employee that might even live onsite. That doesn't strike me as a major contributor to the local economic vitality.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Nov 2019 15:18

Delightful ‘parlor’ La Reunion brings more coffee, cocktails, food to Oak Cliff

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... oak-cliff/

So the retail on Bishop is filling up but the retail space along Zang sits empty.

mwaskow

Postby mwaskow » 22 Nov 2019 10:23

Tnexster wrote:Delightful ‘parlor’ La Reunion brings more coffee, cocktails, food to Oak Cliff

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... oak-cliff/

So the retail on Bishop is filling up but the retail space along Zang sits empty.

Bishop is such a more quaint walkable street. The intersection of Davis & Zang still seems to big and busy to be a walkable hot spot. Exxir is crushing it down there. Don't know if anyone else has been to Paradiso but the vibe is amazing. They have done a really good job with Bishop St. I hope the retail on Zang at the Alamo and Crescent developments takes off. Maybe once those apartments fill up their will be more demand.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 22 Nov 2019 11:49

I wish they would have put white lights on the trees like Alamo did. Looks nice and inviting. They need to fix Davis though. It's dark and the street is like driving in the Baja. I'm also wondering how long the owner of that old dingy apartment complex on Bishop and 10th will hold out?

Dettmann1

Postby Dettmann1 » 23 Nov 2019 09:02

MC_ScattCat wrote:I wish they would have put white lights on the trees like Alamo did. Looks nice and inviting. They need to fix Davis though. It's dark and the street is like driving in the Baja. I'm also wondering how long the owner of that old dingy apartment complex on Bishop and 10th will hold out?

If it’s the red apartment building, that’s owned by exxir, but it’s a later phase (it’s the second apartment phase). I doubt there is much activity on that site for 2-3 years minimum.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Nov 2019 12:23

Had dinner at Nora last night, and was my first visit to this part of Bishop. Nicely done! Nora was quite good too.

Alpaca_Obsessor

Postby Alpaca_Obsessor » 03 Dec 2019 01:40

Copy/Pasting my post from the Skyscraperpage Dallas Thread over here. Sorry in advance for the absolutely ridiculous amount of photos I took haha:

So I got the chance to visit home for Thanksgiving and I've got to say that all the stuff that was under construction when I visited this past spring has turned out really nice. I took about a million photos but here are some of the better ones.

Exxir Capital's building on Davis (denoted as 'Building B' on their masterplan)

Mural along the backside of Building B

Building B landscaping along 9th Street. I really appreciate the aesthetic they're going for with the cactus.

Streetscape along Bishop.

Building E on the opposite side of the street.

Building A right next to it.

New French Bazaar in Building B.

Plaza on the corner of Bishop and Melba

New condos on Melba

View looking East down Melba

New Coffee/Wine Bar

Bishop Highline Phase 2 and Exxir Capital's Apartments

Close-up of this kickass mural

Alamo Manhattan's project

Bishop Arts Streetcar Station

New brewery in Novel's pedestrian esplenade

Old Mayor's House

New condos going up on Zang

Apartments going up across the street

New Condos going up on 9th Street

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Jan 2020 15:10

Looks like some kind of winery by the name of Blind Bishop is getting ready to open in the little gray building at Sunset and Madison. The CPC agenda for this week shows it requesting a SUP for "a microbrewery, micro distillery, or winery" but based on a Google search of the applicant, Dilek Caner, it appears to be the latter.

blind bishop.jpg

It's just south of the library, which is too far from all the new things in Bishop Arts, but maybe it won't seem as remote once the Bishop Highline Phase 2 apartments open.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Jan 2020 20:15

Royal Blue Grocery gets a $350,000 economic development loan for an Oak Cliff store
The Dallas City Council approved the loan without a controversial $350,000 grant and put a spotlight on how other small businesses may be missing out on opportunities with the city.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... iff-store/

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 08 Jan 2020 20:44

.... These stores shouldn't be asking for handouts.glad the city came to their senses.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 09 Jan 2020 10:36

Great job by the city on this one.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 Jan 2020 11:37

Now the question is whether Royal Blue will accept the offer. Good idea or not, without the $350,000 grant they might as well go to a bank or a private investor for a loan that doesn't have nearly as many strings attached. Hopefully this was something they were going to do anyway and decide to open the store on Davis to retail customers, otherwise they'll just continue to run it as a kitchen.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 12 Feb 2020 07:47

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/02/11/dal ... hitecture/

I love this story, and it makes me wonder what Oak Lawn and Oak Cliff would look like today if they had been under a demolition delay ordinance 30 years ago.

Per DCAD, this property and the one adjacent were purchased by Urban Genesis so it looks like they’ll be working on a third phase of Bishop Highline, the farthest south of any new construction here.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 19 Feb 2020 14:12

Dallas restaurant institution Hattie's in Oak Cliff closes its doors
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... f-closure/

First Tillman’s, then Bolsa and now Hatties. Definitely a new era.

eburress

Postby eburress » 19 Feb 2020 16:18

Oh man, that's a bummer!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Feb 2020 17:41

Time for some fresh faces....wonder if anybody is looking at Tillman's or Bolsa yet. Hatties is/was such a prime corner I wouldn't think it would take long to fill that spot.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 19 Feb 2020 19:04

Tnexster wrote:Time for some fresh faces....wonder if anybody is looking at Tillman's or Bolsa yet. Hatties is/was such a prime corner I wouldn't think it would take long to fill that spot.

I'm almost sure that Bolsa already has a new tenant in line and it might even be the same team with a new LLC. Tillman's and Hattie's were in Jim Lake buildings, and it's interesting that they close right as another Jim Lake tenant, The Mayor's House, is set to open.

Wouldn't be terribly surprising if one of the closed restaurants reopens in one of the new buildings on Zang and Davis.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 19 Feb 2020 19:36

Tillman's was horrible. Yeah I said it.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 19 Feb 2020 20:58

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Tillman's was horrible. Yeah I said it.

For such a horrible restaurant it sure lasted a long time. Even so, time to pass the torch.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 20 Feb 2020 20:41

New York investor making property buys in North Oak Cliff
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... oak-cliff/

“We don’t have any plans for a development right now,” said Ben Atkins, Abingdon Square founder and principal. “We’re long-term investors and active in Texas, Florida and New York.”

With Central Market looking to sit on their lot for at least 5 more years, this would be a good place for a Bishop Arts grocery store. Hope they don't plan on holding this too long with no plans.

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 8.30.22 PM.png

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 18 Sep 2020 14:54

So far it's looking like Post-Covid Bishop Arts will be a lot more interesting than before. Hattie's and Tillman's were wonderful places that put the district on the map, but their replacements "Cloves" and "Chimichurri" sound like the type of places people have been asking for around here.

https://dallas.eater.com/2020/9/17/2144 ... -fall-2020

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/20588360 ... ishop-arts

I also spoke with someone involved with Exxir, and he said they are planning a bowling place somewhere in the area. Wish I could've gotten more info, but it sounds like a great use for the basement at the medical building that Urban Genesis is turning into apartments.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 18 Sep 2020 18:54

Indian food in Bishop Arts?! You just made my year! Been hoping for an Indian restaurant for years.

Also interesting about the bowling, though I miss the old blue collar bowling alleys.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Sep 2020 10:25

A Bishop Arts building burned to rubble, here’s what’s next
https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2020/0 ... to-rubble/

I completely forgot about the fire at Zang and Davis and thinking it was the new CVS that burned down. Now I realize it was the little building to the south of it that the owner had planned to turn into a small hotel.

This is not suspicious [sarcasm]at all[/sarcasm] but glad the plans are moving forward. Hope the new building fits the style of the neighborhood.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Sep 2020 12:19

Idk the owners fought to preserve the building..and won the right to operate with less parking. This seems like a set back to me. Looks like they plan to rebuild and likely had insurance

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 23 Sep 2020 12:34

Wow. Isn't there a fire station across the street? Did the auto repair shop go down, too?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 23 Sep 2020 18:44

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Idk the owners fought to preserve the building..and won the right to operate with less parking. This seems like a set back to me. Looks like they plan to rebuild and likely had insurance

I guess it depends on whether the parking reduction survives the building. Can’t imagine it does, but if it did then there’s my answer.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 24 Sep 2020 08:52

I can't believe they are putting another 7/11 next to the CVS. What a big swing and a miss.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Oct 2020 16:55

Walked past the new Bishop North building last night and think they did a decent job. I'm still amazed that there's an apartment building in Oak Cliff with underground parking.

IMG_8695.jpg

CTroyMathis
Site Admin

Postby CTroyMathis » 06 Nov 2020 15:22

Hadn't heard of or I missed this. The two links seem to be talking about same site:

https://www.omniplan.com/work/projects/212-melba.html
Melba is a multifamily community located at the edge of the Bishop Arts District in Dallas. The new code in the Bishop Arts District encourages density and for buildings to be right on the street. The architecture responds to this with a design that blends well with the single-family nature of the neighborhood while also leaving room for an enjoyable pedestrian experience.

https://omnidev.imgix.net/media/work/pr ... lba_02.jpg

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/TABS/Search/ ... 2021003905

Code: Select all

Start Date:
1/1/2021
Completion Date:
12/31/2022
Estimated Cost:
$4,800,000
Type of Work:
New Construction
Type of Funds:
This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work:
New construction of 55 unit multifamily parking garage, limited amenity space and occupied roof
Square Footage:
58,000 ft 2

eburress

Postby eburress » 07 Nov 2020 08:30

How cool! What a fun little building!

dukemeredith

Postby dukemeredith » 08 Nov 2020 10:38

Interesting choice to put a Rolls-Royce in the render of this building.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Nov 2020 14:57

My question is how dare they post a rendering without a Neiman Marcus shopping bag in a pedestrians hand riding a bus or streetcar. Renderings are full fantasies meant to sell the a bougie lifestyle but rarely show realistic pictures of the future.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 Mar 2021 16:26

Maker space? Public meeting rooms? Childcare? Tell the City what a new North Oak Cliff Library needs
https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2021/0 ... 6JaUkojano

I know this is not the kind of feedback they're looking for, but doing something with just the two city-owned empty lots at the SE corner of 10th and Bishop (just west of the parking lot of the existing library) could do a lot for the surrounding neighborhoods in the short term versus planning some grandiose new space with underground parking, which of course would be great.

Turn that lot into a small plaza, maybe even a small amphitheater for outdoor learning activities, and give this community something they don't have to wait another decade for.