Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

lakewoodhobo

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 30 Mar 2019 10:27

DPatel304 wrote:I really need to make the trip out there at some point though. It'll really be amazing when the retail really starts to fill up in this space.

I can't wait to see all of the construction finished and shops filled with people either, but I would still recommend visiting now for two reasons:

1. Walking through there now feels oddly like you're in a movie set. It's like they're building an entire town to shoot some scene but the crews and actors haven't shown up yet - I haven't seen anything like that in my 13 years in Dallas.

2. The shops that are now open, old and new, are struggling because too many people might be waiting for all the construction to finish. Not to compare it to Victory Park because it's so different, but I'd hate to see the same thing happen here where a bunch of stores and restaurants opened and not enough people showed up.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 30 Mar 2019 11:37

Reminds me of the time I rode the MATA streetcar and the guide told people the history of the West Village development and people were shocked those buildings were "new" and not just some quaint area of town redeveloped like Bishop Arts. It reminded me of the perspective from someone who isn't on the development side as much as most of us are. Things like the Novel Bishop Arts will be amazing to some because many will assume they are old because most people don't analyze it too much. Right now they will be fresh and brand new but give them 10-20 years and we will see how they age and blend into the area in terms of looks and people circulation.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 30 Mar 2019 14:23

lakewoodhobo wrote:1. Walking through there now feels oddly like you're in a movie set. It's like they're building an entire town to shoot some scene but the crews and actors haven't shown up yet - I haven't seen anything like that in my 13 years in Dallas.

Haha.. that's a good point. Honestly, I feel that way about a lot of Dallas. I'm not a photographer, but a part of me just wants to go to certain areas to take pictures, so that, in 20-30 years time, I can show people what a ghost town this city used to be.

lakewoodhobo wrote:2. The shops that are now open, old and new, are struggling because too many people might be waiting for all the construction to finish. Not to compare it to Victory Park because it's so different, but I'd hate to see the same thing happen here where a bunch of stores and restaurants opened and not enough people showed up.

That's unfortunate to hear. I do hope they find a way to make it work, but it does concern me how much retail space is about to be available in the area.

Dettmann1

Postby Dettmann1 » 30 Mar 2019 19:11

I'm not sure when it happened, but the Exxir website is now updated which gives a pretty good glimpse of what is going to fill the space for several portions of their building that were question marks for a while. It looks like they are starting their own hospitality arm that will run a total of four food outlets in the new spaces:
- Paradiso - Looks to be some Farm to table concept in the L-shaped building.
- Botanist - Some sort of garden cocktail and wine bar within the courtyard between the L building and the smaller house on the corner.
- Good Companion - A single origin coffee house and wine bar. This will be going in the house on the corner.
- Tejas - Some Tex-mex concept going in at the southern corner on the long bishop ave building on east side of the street.

They had some marketing stuff up in front of the L building for Good Companion and Paradiso, but its good to get a better idea on what those will be. The Exxir website has me excited for what's in store for that portion of the neighborhood.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 30 Mar 2019 19:58

Thanks for the tip! Exxir has A LOT of new information on there, including their plans for the recently purchased buildings on Bishop and Tenth that weren't part of their original plans. They're calling this section Camp Bishop.

They also seem to be saving and reusing the two-story house that for some reason has its own pay phone.

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 8.40.38 PM.png

More here: http://exxircapital.com/posts/Camp_Bishop
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dettmann1

Postby Dettmann1 » 02 Apr 2019 09:38

lakewoodhobo wrote:Thanks for the tip! Exxir has A LOT of new information on there, including their plans for the recently purchased buildings on Bishop and Tenth that weren't part of their original plans. They're calling this section Camp Bishop.

They also seem to be saving and reusing the two-story house that for some reason has its own pay phone.

Screen Shot 2019-03-30 at 8.40.38 PM.png

More here: http://exxircapital.com/posts/Camp_Bishop

I didn't realize it until you pointed out saving the two story house, but it also looks like the courtyard will have three shipping container type establishments as well. Curious to see what those end up being. Overall, I've been really impressed with the quality and time Exxir has put into their stuff thus far and it makes the wait worth it. I'm just excited to see this stuff start to open.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 02 Apr 2019 09:58

Exxir seems to be doing all of the things where I normally wonder "Why can't a developer do that?". Of course there's a lot still to be revealed about the quality of their developments, but it's looking great so far. So I have to wonder, why can't other developers do THAT? How have they made the economics work as well as building something that looks great and fits into the neighborhood?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 08 Apr 2019 10:30

The Camp Bishop buildings are farther along than I thought. Website is live, with office lease rates from $400-$2818/mo http://campbishop.net

IMG_6989.jpeg
IMG_6987.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 08 Apr 2019 11:58

lakewoodhobo wrote:The Camp Bishop buildings are farther along than I thought. Website is live, with office lease rates from $400-$2818/mo http://campbishop.net

IMG_6989.jpegIMG_6987.jpeg

OMG the art on that website is the coolest!!!! Bishop Arts in cartoon form!!!

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 10 Apr 2019 10:18

jetnd87 wrote:https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-ceo/2019/april/developers-aim-for-walkable-urban-space-in-north-oak-cliff/

I seem to remember some doubt around this guy and his proposals, some pushback, but I could not be more impressed with the care and precision he is putting into these developments. I remember him saying this was a long term hold development for his family, and I believe him. Let's hope they keep it up with every phase being this good or better!

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Apr 2019 11:52

The doubt was well placed though. Look at every project in DFW where developers make promises of all kinds of things. The article about Victory Park yesterday about it turning a corner and the owners being so excited about where it has progressed. They left out the whole part where Hillwood built and developed Victory and failed to produce what they promised. After Hillwood lost control of Victory when lenders owners took over they focused on selling property to any developer looking at building some apartments and no longer cared about cultivating and taking special care of how the neighborhood developed. At this point, Hillwood just wants to be able to make a profit off of what they have left and move on.

Here in Bishop Arts, everyone is afraid of massive Uptown like crowding and generic architecture swapping out decades of existing cultural development. I like what these guys are doing but until it all opens and time have passed to see how many of these new tenants survive I will still be cautious. Some of this stuff could look cool for the first 6 months but until the foundations settle in we won't truly know if the change was truly for the better or become a problem requiring decades of propping up to repair.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Apr 2019 12:39

I cannot wait until Jefferson gets some high rise residential!

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Apr 2019 21:55

I think using victory park is a bad example. The opposite is being done here. Bishop Arts is an established neighborhood, that can support shops. The fear is ... Can they support more? .. to me it all depends on what it is...
VP was a disaster.. they literally built garages before they even had retail and residential. I used to jokingly say, it's called victory park, because it's a neighborhood full parking spaces for sporting events.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 13 Apr 2019 09:27

tamtagon wrote:I cannot wait until Jefferson gets some high rise residential!

Jefferson could use some new residential but I wonder how high they would go, I can see mid rises popping up in areas. Is there a height limit set along Jefferson? That day may come sooner than we think the way things are moving in OC these days.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 13 Apr 2019 12:42

I'd like to see Jefferson stay what it is, a retail destination. But the two streets on either side of Jefferson, Centre St. and Sunset Ave., would be great for mid-rise residential. From Beckley west to Van Buren.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Apr 2019 13:20

ericthegardener wrote:I'd like to see Jefferson stay what it is, a retail destination. But the two streets on either side of Jefferson, Centre St. and Sunset Ave., would be great for mid-rise residential. From Beckley west to Van Buren.

The only site on Jefferson Blvd where I'd like to see a new tower is the Fiesta site. When Jefferson was rezoned in 2014, they carved out a subarea for this site to prohibit big-box use and allow a hotel of at least 4 stories. I believe residential was already allowed.

Not sure if this is the final plan that passed, but it looks like that's the vision for that part of the area. Another tower like Jefferson Tower here would add density and create another big anchor.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 20 Apr 2019 12:50

Vintage shop Dolly Python opening a location on Bishop.

https://www.dmagazine.com/style-beauty- ... shop-arts/

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 24 Apr 2019 12:17

I've been wondering if Exxir still had plans for a hotel in this development, and after a bit of digging I found what I think is their latest. The Camp Bishop building is identified as Phase 3 in this brochure by Shop Cos. https://shopcompanies.com/properties/pd ... arts-exxir and Phase 4, which is identified as Bishop South on the Camp Bishop website, includes a 100-key hotel facing the large circular object near 9th and Bishop. Additionally there's a second hotel (40 keys) planned for 10th and Adams.

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 11.59.15 AM.jpg

Also, looks like Nora is getting ready to open soon.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 24 Apr 2019 21:48

I love that brickwork on Nora. The attention to detail by this developer is wonderful.

clcrash19

Postby clcrash19 » 25 Apr 2019 10:25

What is nora?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Apr 2019 10:38

clcrash19 wrote:What is nora?

Our food is not just a meal, it’s a taste of Afghan culture.

Menu items include Afghan
novelties such as Mantoo, Qabili Palao and Sabzi Chalao, as well as an array of grilled kabobs.

https://www.noradallas.com/

It's a restaurant that used to be on Lower Greenville.

mwaskow

Postby mwaskow » 26 Apr 2019 10:07

Nora was actually featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives with Guy Fieri last year. Good spot.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 09 May 2019 11:55

Bishop Arts Cuban Sandwich Stalwart C. Señor Shutters Suddenly
https://dallas.eater.com/2019/5/8/18535 ... sandwiches

"Additional digging indicates that the space will soon be occupied by an all-day breakfast spot called the Last Stand that will serve street food until late-night hours."

Also, rumor is that C Señor will open elsewhere in Bishop Arts.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 15 May 2019 15:44

Four Exciting New Restaurants Hit the Bishop Arts District This Summer

Paradiso — A European-focused restaurant that will boast wood-grilled entrees, housemade pastas, and more “simple” dishes. Paradiso will also offer mezze service via a bar cart that’s been configured to accommodate small plates, similar to a dim sum cart.

The Botanist — A plant-obsessed cocktail bar featuring cocktails spiked with tons of fresh herbs, flowers, and more botanical ingredients. A constantly-changing menu of bar bites prepped in the Paradiso kitchen will also be on offer.

Good Companions — A cozy coffee shop and natural wine bar situated inside an updated 1920s home. In addition to the libations, freshly-baked pastries like sticky buns will also be on offer, along with classic European sandwiches. The shop’s most compelling offering will likely be its “boozy high tea” service, which involves tea-infused cocktails that are served in fancy teapots.

Tejas — This casual, intentionally affordable restaurant sits a little further up the street at 250 North Bishop Avenue, and will serve a tight menu of tacos and burgers. There’s a slightly Tex-Mex bent, but expect the focus to lean more toward the “Tex.” Tortillas and hamburger buns will be made at the restaurant, along with vegetarian chorizo made with Impossible “meat.” A tight list of cocktails will also be on offer, including a mezcal-spiked Paloma and a horchata cold brew drink.

https://dallas.eater.com/2019/5/15/1862 ... ummer-2019

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 26 May 2019 13:12

Really did not expect CM to advertise this location as "coming soon" anytime this year. Hopefully they'll have a construction timeline to share in the near future.

00DB3223-C157-4B7D-8847-48117F418B9B.jpeg

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 26 May 2019 14:42

Neither did I. Yeah they will admit to the press that they own land for a future store but to put up a banner when they haven't even started the Uptown location yet seems a bit premature.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Aug 2019 14:54

Still looks like a movie set, but with Paradiso opening tonight and Nora opening any day, that'll change quickly.

64879457_1047789995430133_5798539839141838848_o.jpg

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 02 Aug 2019 15:23

lakewoodhobo wrote:Still looks like a movie set, but with Paradiso opening tonight and Nora opening any day, that'll change quickly.

Dang the city looks good from that vantage point. Is this from a drone?

If only we had some hills right there or some midrises with rooftop bars/dining to take advantage of those vistas.

Mr. Amsterdam

Postby Mr. Amsterdam » 03 Aug 2019 03:07

lakewoodhobo wrote:Still looks like a movie set, but with Paradiso opening tonight and Nora opening any day, that'll change quickly.

Everything about this pic is great: downtown and uptown in the background, the wide AF sidewalks, the small-town feel of the foreground contrasted with the background skyscrapers. The only thing missing is protected bike lanes. ;)
1999 - 2017

HarryMoto

Postby HarryMoto » 05 Aug 2019 22:40

It's truly amazing what's happening in Bishop Arts. Have any businesses opened in the new developments at Davis and Zang yet?

eburress

Postby eburress » 06 Aug 2019 08:17

As of about a month ago there were a number of restaurants and businesses who had either already opened or were on the verge of opening.

emmasensei

Postby emmasensei » 06 Aug 2019 08:25

The Botanist definitely opened just this week and by all accounts it was very successful. Packed to the rafters. Bishop Arts is really jumping overall.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 06 Aug 2019 08:45

I don't think it can be overstated what a great job Exxir has done with this development. They've built out an extension of Bishop Arts that is appropriate in scale as well as the eclectic nature of the shops and restaurants that are populating the storefronts.

The connection from a pedestrian experience is seamless.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 06 Aug 2019 09:12

Gourmet doughnuts roll into Dallas from famous salty Miami shop
http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... shop-arts/

No indication yet where in Bishop Arts this is opening, but I found it interesting that this shop comes from Miami's Wynnwood district. In Dallas, they'll be opening somewhat close to Wynnewood Village.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 06 Aug 2019 13:13

Does anyone have the scoop on the leasing concessions for the retail in the new developments? The developer should focus on attracting the right tenant mix and keeping them alive before capitalizing on this project.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 06 Aug 2019 17:50

HarryMoto wrote:It's truly amazing what's happening in Bishop Arts. Have any businesses opened in the new developments at Davis and Zang yet?

As others have stated, businesses are opening soon or have already opened in the Exxir development which in on Bishop. To my knowledge, only one coffee shop called Brewed (and not even visible from the street) has opened opened at the Alamo Manhattan and Crescent Communities developments at Davis & Zang. These developments were completed well ahead of the Exxir projects, so it's surprising to me that nothing has really opened yet. The Exxir developments are light years ahead of Crescent Communities and Alamo Manhattan developments in terms of charm, character and fitting in with the existing neighborhood. I wonder if the developers are waiting for the perfect tenant, or if there has not been the interest hoped for.

Dettmann1

Postby Dettmann1 » 07 Aug 2019 20:58

ericthegardener wrote:
HarryMoto wrote:It's truly amazing what's happening in Bishop Arts. Have any businesses opened in the new developments at Davis and Zang yet?

As others have stated, businesses are opening soon or have already opened in the Exxir development which in on Bishop. To my knowledge, only one coffee shop called Brewed (and not even visible from the street) has opened opened at the Alamo Manhattan and Crescent Communities developments at Davis & Zang. These developments were completed well ahead of the Exxir projects, so it's surprising to me that nothing has really opened yet. The Exxir developments are light years ahead of Crescent Communities and Alamo Manhattan developments in terms of charm, character and fitting in with the existing neighborhood. I wonder if the developers are waiting for the perfect tenant, or if there has not been the interest hoped for.

Bishop Arts Station has tenants signed. Not sure what the hold up is. If you are curious about the tenant mix, take a look at the Shop Companies website and thier leasing material on the building as it lists the tenants signed. I'm not sure what Novel's issue is with leasing, but it may take central market starting for those spaces to fill up. Hope I am wrong.

MC_ScattCat

Postby MC_ScattCat » 08 Aug 2019 08:10

Drove by the future Central Market location yesterday. The sign on the gate is gone and there is a for sale sign up. I really hope they are still going to put a central market in. We need a decent grocery store in the neighborhood. Everyone who lives here all agree so more grab and go places and grocery stores are needed badly.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 08 Aug 2019 09:45

When it comes to these apartment complexes with ground-floor retail they are largely not focused on leasing the commercial space and sometimes don't even contract a company to market the spaces till after the apartments have been open and occupied for a while. They are apartment projects first. The retail is, sure we will get to it kinda thing, many times. Most of these apartment companies prefer single-use because adding multiple uses complicates the operation and management. Some developers are focused on tenant mix though and will devote time and energy to both apartment leasing and commercial leasing.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 08 Aug 2019 11:00

Dettmann1 wrote:Bishop Arts Station has tenants signed. Not sure what the hold up is. If you are curious about the tenant mix, take a look at the Shop Companies website and thier leasing material on the building as it lists the tenants signed.

I checked it out and you're right. Aside from White Rhino Coffee you have Edge Pilates and Blue Feather Yoga taking 1693 and 1206 sf spaces as well as an unnamed Spa & Salon taking 3717 sf. WAY more interesting to me is Lucky Mouth Grocery, Krio (Cajun & Asian restaurant) and a store named Indigo Child taking most of the remaining spaces.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 10.53.28 AM.jpg

Lucky Mouth: https://squareup.com/store/lucky-mouth-grocery
Krio: https://dallas.eater.com/2019/6/21/18700879/krio-opening-bishop-arts-dallas-cajun-asian-seafood-boils
Bishop Arts Station leasing brochure: https://shopcompanies.com/sites/default/files/Bishop%20Arts%20Station%20Presentation_2.pdf?v=1559746747

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 11 Aug 2019 21:25

Lucky Mouth Grocery looks like it will be a vegan grocery.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Aug 2019 10:38

More proof of the Little Austin of Dallas = Oak Cliff

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 12 Aug 2019 11:21

cowboyeagle05 wrote:More proof of the Little Austin of Dallas = Oak Cliff

Um, no. Oak Cliff is much more than just Bishop Arts.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 12 Aug 2019 11:51

Nice to see White Rhino and not Starbucks, is Ascension coming to Bishop Arts anywhere?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 12 Aug 2019 12:45

Just a little anecdote, but the cool folks I've known over the years who've bounced between Austin and Dallas enough to know both places well have collectively and consistently given the nod to Oak Cliff as the most comfortable, pleasant place to live. It's probably not too soon to start saying 'Don't Austin my Oak Cliff.'

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 12 Aug 2019 12:53

Austin is Austin and Oak Cliff is Oak Cliff. Deep Ellum is not Austin either. Neither is Lower Greenville. It irks me when people I know from Austin say that these hoods are "trying to be like Austin" when they have histories and cultures that far predate the current and possibly temporary cultural moment that Austin is having.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 12 Aug 2019 13:07

Matt777 wrote:

Austin is Austin and Oak Cliff is Oak Cliff. Deep Ellum is not Austin either. Neither is Lower Greenville. It irks me when people I know from Austin say that these hoods are "trying to be like Austin" when they have histories and cultures that far predate the current and possibly temporary cultural moment that Austin is having.

Totally agree with you. I have a lot of friends in Austin who constantly say this about anything and anywhere 'trendy', as if Austin has invented everything trendy in the world, and everyone else is just copying them.

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 12 Aug 2019 14:35

Austins claim to fame is that it has no mass transit and the worst traffic in the state.

quacksax

Postby quacksax » 13 Aug 2019 00:09

ericthegardener wrote:

The Exxir projects definitely benefit from being better connected to the existing retail on Bishop than the Crescent and Alamo developments. Strolling down Bishop is much more pleasant than crossing the Zang/Davis intersection.

There was a good article posted in Strong Towns last December about all of the empty retail we see at the bottom of new apartment complexes. To make these spaces work, they surmise that the developers need sufficient mixed use experience, affordable rents, and connectivity to existing retail corridors. Very relevant here.