Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

lakewoodhobo

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 Feb 2018 10:02

Saw this morning that they're pouring sidewalks for the new CVS and noticed this round thing on the corner of Zang and 7th. Looks like either a planter or a fountain, maybe? Sorry for the terrible photos.

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 07 Feb 2018 10:11

Yeah, I saw that and I was happy that they were putting some effort into making this store look nicer than usual. Thanks for the picture!

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 Feb 2018 10:13

tamtagon wrote:...extending a conversation from the Oak Lawn thread, do any of these new deals in Bishop Arts/Oak Cliff include a gay bar? Actually, have the blue laws been scraped away enough to allow bars?

I get a headache just trying to understand how a bar can operate in Oak Cliff, but this blog does a good job of explaining some of it. Short answer: in the case Barbara's Pavillion, the "bar" is actually a non-profit private club.

What is a private club?
The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) states a private club cannot be owned by anyone. Members control the entity.  Barbara’s Pavillion owners bought the assets of the bar, such as equipment, furniture, the point of sale (POS) system, and an opportunity to take over a pre-existing cash flow.

The club itself is a non-profit entity. It cannot make a profit. Nor does it have the manpower to serve drinks. The club hires the owners’ for-profit business to manage the alcoholic beverage service for its members. In exchange for providing this service, the club pays the owners of this ‘management company’ a share of the service fees collected from members.

What does it mean to be a member of an Oak Cliff private club?
When a member buys a drink, the charge is not for the liquor, beer or wine in the glass. All club members jointly own the inventory of alcohol. They are paying a charge for the set up and service of the drink.

You can read the rest of it here: http://digpro.qsigroup.com/2017/07/oak- ... vate-club/

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 07 Feb 2018 10:24

lakewoodhobo wrote:I get a headache just trying to understand how a bar can operate in Oak Cliff, but this blog does a good job of explaining some of it. Short answer: in the case Barbara's Pavillion, the "bar" is actually a non-profit private club.

Interesting work-around. I think I've heard of other bars doing something similar, specifically bars that allow smoking indoors. I know whenever I used to go to Fox and Hound, I would have to scan my ID and sign a receipt becoming a 'member' of Fox and Hound. I've seen it done at a bar on Main street in Richardson as well as most bars in Denton as well.

I don't think putting more bars in Oak Cliff really makes sense, there's too many single family homes here. I like the current mix of retail/restaurants, and would rather see more shops and restaurants, rather than late night spots. I'm not familiar with the rest of Oak Cliff so maybe there is potential in other parts, but I'm still pushing for the Design District to be the next night life area. I think it's large enough to fit the next Uptown and the next gayborhood, and it's close enough for people who currently live in Oak Lawn and Uptown to visit.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 07 Feb 2018 10:50

DPatel304 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:I get a headache just trying to understand how a bar can operate in Oak Cliff....

...I don't think putting more bars in Oak Cliff really makes sense, there's too many single family homes here. I like the current mix of retail/restaurants, and would rather see more shops and restaurants, rather than late night spots.

I think the opportunity for neighborhood bars makes perfect sense for all of Dallas; all parts of the city still suffering remnant Blue Laws need the restrictions eliminated. Oak Cliff and West Dallas may call for immediate action.

A primary reason for such a large food desert South of the River has been because grocery stores could not sell beer and wine -- ridiculous.

I'm certainly not proposing wide open 'deregulation' to encourage a night life destination like Cedar Springs or Deep Ellum. But allowing neighborhood bars open right along with the restaurant, shops, retail stores makes for a better quality of life. Just like going for dessert a couple doors over instead of at the same place the meal was served adds variety and can improve the experience, so does walking down the street for a night cap. OR, if you're going to a concert, movie, art opening somewhere on Jefferson St, it sure would be nice to have the opportunity to have a drink or bar-snack somewhere in the neighborhood before the event.

I think much of North Dallas may still suffer from the same prohibition era thinking.

Dettmann1

Postby Dettmann1 » 07 Feb 2018 10:53

lakewoodhobo wrote:
tamtagon wrote:...extending a conversation from the Oak Lawn thread, do any of these new deals in Bishop Arts/Oak Cliff include a gay bar? Actually, have the blue laws been scraped away enough to allow bars?

I get a headache just trying to understand how a bar can operate in Oak Cliff, but this blog does a good job of explaining some of it. Short answer: in the case Barbara's Pavillion, the "bar" is actually a non-profit private club.

What is a private club?
The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) states a private club cannot be owned by anyone. Members control the entity.  Barbara’s Pavillion owners bought the assets of the bar, such as equipment, furniture, the point of sale (POS) system, and an opportunity to take over a pre-existing cash flow.

The club itself is a non-profit entity. It cannot make a profit. Nor does it have the manpower to serve drinks. The club hires the owners’ for-profit business to manage the alcoholic beverage service for its members. In exchange for providing this service, the club pays the owners of this ‘management company’ a share of the service fees collected from members.

What does it mean to be a member of an Oak Cliff private club?
When a member buys a drink, the charge is not for the liquor, beer or wine in the glass. All club members jointly own the inventory of alcohol. They are paying a charge for the set up and service of the drink.

You can read the rest of it here: http://digpro.qsigroup.com/2017/07/oak- ... vate-club/

That's actually the way Oak Cliff Social Club works which is probably the most "bar" like place I've been in North Oak Cliff. It is odd, but it works suprisingly well. The only other place I've seen it work in a similar fashion is in Utah, Salt Lake City specifically due to drinking laws there.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 07 Feb 2018 10:59

Gotcha. Yeah, I'm all for more neighborhood bars across Dallas, as you said. I guess when Oak Lawn was initially brought up in this thread, I assumed that we were talking about eventually moving the entire district somewhere in Oak Cliff.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Feb 2018 13:50

The team behind DFW’s Free Play Arcade is going to open a pinball bar in a new development / rehab in Dallas proper. The facility will have 40+ pinball machines, 8-12 select arcades, and an insanely good bar. The bar concept is straight out of Uptown New Orleans – with cold beer, cheap shots, and great service. The bar will be ages 21-and-up for ~95% of its open hours and charge no cover. The game concept is about celebrating the best pinball machines of all time while exploring the various pinball generations. We will combine Free Play’s industry leading technical knowledge, proprietary technology, and legendary service to build the greatest pinball bar ever. The concept will be entirely unique of Free Play and will operate on coin play rather than a free-to-play model with a cover.

http://dallaspinballproject.com/about/

I've only been to FreePlay arcade once, but I was a fan of the place. The bar was good, and the place was in good shape, the location was just too far out there for me.

I'm not big on pinball machines, but I'm glad they are moving to more urban areas. In addition to this upcoming Oak Cliff location, they are also planning to open a location in Denton which seems like a great fit:
http://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/free ... f-10341380

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 08 Feb 2018 16:11

DPatel304 wrote:I'm not big on pinball machines, but I'm glad they are moving to more urban areas. In addition to this upcoming Oak Cliff location, they are also planning to open a location in Denton which seems like a great fit:
http://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/free ... f-10341380

Awesome! I love pinball and the OC location is about 2 minutes from my house. Can't wait!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 08 Feb 2018 16:30

Somehow I missed the actual location of the pinball arcade when I first read the article. For anyone who is wondering, it's going on Jefferson:
Hyden says the company put down money on a lease for a space in the Jefferson Bishop development near the Texas Theatre and the recently revived Top Ten Records, but it'll have to undergo a lengthy and complicated permitting process before the bar can open.

I'm not sure how people feel about Oak Cliff gentrifying even more, but I'm excited for Bishop Arts and Jefferson to eventually blend together into a more cohesive area.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 08 Feb 2018 16:50

Great news! I wonder if they signed a lease at one of these spaces they've been working on next to Top Ten Records.

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 4.48.31 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 09 Feb 2018 09:27

summary from Steve Brown

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... treet-zang

Oak Cliff construction boom bringing hundreds of new apartments to Bishop Arts
Written by Steve Brown

.... "We looked at 1920s buildings around Dallas and Fort Worth," Blackwell said. "These were the sorts of buildings being built in commercial scenarios around the country. That's where the inspiration comes from."

... a neighboring block H-E-B which plans to build a Central Market on the site.

...Crescent's Novel Bishop Arts 302 luxury apartments ~24,000 square feet of retail minimum of five restaurants — probably six to eight,"

...across Zang Alamo Manhattan 220 rental units 20,000 square feet of shopping five- and six-story buildings face Bishop Arts streetcar station.

Exxir Capital recently filed permits with the city to build 246 apartments between Davis and Jefferson Boulevard.

Urban Genesis is building about six dozen units in four-story buildings.

So, the projects listed on this post tally about 900 dwellings, the article also mention several townhouse projects... so, like, these will increase the residential population of Bishop Arts by how much? Double?

I'm not sure what defines the geography of Bishop Arts, not even sure how long that descriptor has been around, but doubling the residential population of this part of Oak Cliff is a good start. Jefferson-12th Corridor should be home to many more people than Bishop Arts with the greatest density close to where the next deck park is planned....

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 Feb 2018 11:03

lakewoodhobo wrote:Great news! I wonder if they signed a lease at one of these spaces they've been working on next to Top Ten Records.

Sadly that redesign looks a little whitewashed to me. The thing I don't look forward to is the overly sterilizing of the neighborhood and this architecture treatment seems to be part of the sad reality of improving areas. We can pretend we want to preserve some of the culture that has blossomed down there but the sad truth is it will all get wiped away for small local breweries, boutique hipster hair salons/bars etc with sometimes largely bland white/grey facades that would appeal to a specific culture found across the river.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

muncien

Postby muncien » 09 Feb 2018 13:46

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
lakewoodhobo wrote:Great news! I wonder if they signed a lease at one of these spaces they've been working on next to Top Ten Records.

Sadly that redesign looks a little whitewashed to me. The thing I don't look forward to is the overly sterilizing of the neighborhood and this architecture treatment seems to be part of the sad reality of improving areas. We can pretend we want to preserve some of the culture that has blossomed down there but the sad truth is it will all get wiped away for small local breweries, boutique hipster hair salons/bars etc with sometimes largely bland white/grey facades that would appeal to a specific culture found across the river.

You had me at "small local breweries, boutique hipster hair salons/bars etc..."

J/k... I know what you mean. :D

Its a change no doubt, but I dont really consider it 'sad' per se. If anything, the establishements that held down the fort in these areas during harder times will move to less fortunate areas and the cycle will repeat. Overall, I think its health for the city in the long run...
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 12 Feb 2018 15:20

Believe me in Planning classes in College we talked about gentrification and how do you balance all the parts of it and still deal with exterior players that have their own goals for redevelopment.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Feb 2018 11:07

The pinball bar will be called Slam Tilt and will be located at 332 W. Jefferson Blvd.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/resta ... free-play/

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 18 Feb 2018 22:30

https://www.guidelive.com/geek/2018/02/16/dallas-pinball-project-bar-opening-oak-cliff-free-play#_ga=2.109528839.348255225.1519013982-98774598.1398007460

Dallas pinball bar from the Free Play folks, aimed at adults, will hopefully open in 2018

CultureMap first reported the news of the bar, though they mistakenly called it Slam Tilt, the name of the holding company that permits were filed for.

"Nine months ago we decided we were going to try to open a pinball bar in Dallas, because we thought Dallas was right for that," says Corey Hyden, president of Free Play, Inc. "We tentatively called it the Dallas pinball project, and that's what kind of stuck with us. So the actual name of the place is the Dallas Pinball Project." He says that he and his partners went through "probably 150" different names and worked with different designers before settling on the name.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 01 Mar 2018 16:32

More Apartments Are Headed to Bishop Arts
Five stories of apartments, 20 townhomes, and ground-floor retail, to be more precise.
https://www.dmagazine.com/commercial-re ... shop-arts/

West Davis Street near North Oak Cliff Boulevard, according to the very vague story.

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 4.33.24 PM.jpg

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 01 Mar 2018 16:46

lakewoodhobo wrote:More Apartments Are Headed to Bishop Arts
Five stories of apartments, 20 townhomes, and ground-floor retail, to be more precise.
https://www.dmagazine.com/commercial-re ... shop-arts/

West Davis Street near North Oak Cliff Boulevard, according to the very vague story.

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 4.33.24 PM.jpg

Yeah, I'd say "Bishop Arts" is a pretty generous designation too.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 01 Mar 2018 18:51

Yeah, pretty far out from Bishop Arts, but seems like a decent develop either way, and I'm actually happy to see development occur outside of the immediate bishop arts area. I really think this is one of the few areas that could become very bike friendly in the near future. The area is dense, but there are no high-rises in the area, and most of the roads seem rather tame by DFWs standards (at least that's what I perceive, I haven't personally biked in the area).

It also helps that it has little pockets of retail scattered throughout the area. Right now, most of the activity is in the Bishop Arts District, but that's already spreading down to Jefferson. You have a couple establishments where Spiral bakery is, which is within biking distance, and soon the upcoming Deck Park will make biking to the Zoo a possibility. I'm hoping we continue to see development occur all over Oak Cliff and not just near Bishop Arts, as that might give people reason to bike around the area.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 02 Mar 2018 08:16

DPatel304 wrote:Yeah, pretty far out from Bishop Arts, but seems like a decent develop either way, and I'm actually happy to see development occur outside of the immediate bishop arts area. I really think this is one of the few areas that could become very bike friendly in the near future. The area is dense, but there are no high-rises in the area, and most of the roads seem rather tame by DFWs standards (at least that's what I perceive, I haven't personally biked in the area).

It also helps that it has little pockets of retail scattered throughout the area. Right now, most of the activity is in the Bishop Arts District, but that's already spreading down to Jefferson. You have a couple establishments where Spiral bakery is, which is within biking distance, and soon the upcoming Deck Park will make biking to the Zoo a possibility. I'm hoping we continue to see development occur all over Oak Cliff and not just near Bishop Arts, as that might give people reason to bike around the area.

That's a great point, and it sounds like the scale of this development should be more in line with what the neighborhood is expecting (5 stories with ground floor retail, I believe).

There really are quite a few spots within biking distance, from Trinity Groves down to Jefferson. The deck park should make a big splash too.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 02 Mar 2018 08:35

Now if only cedars crest began evolving.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 02 Mar 2018 09:45

exelone31 wrote:That's a great point, and it sounds like the scale of this development should be more in line with what the neighborhood is expecting (5 stories with ground floor retail, I believe).

There really are quite a few spots within biking distance, from Trinity Groves down to Jefferson. The deck park should make a big splash too.

Yeah, I'm loving the scale of this. I'm just afraid all of these little developments will be too car-friendly. The apartments with ground floor retail sound promising, but it's not very appealing when you have surface parking in front of it. That's also my problem with the Sylvan Thirty development which is another bike-able destination, but the actual development itself is a bit too car friendly. They make a half-ass effort at being pedestrian friendly, but it's the type of place you'd probably drive to rather than bike to.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Mar 2018 10:07

I think 5 stories might be ok for this part of Davis street, but a few blocks east near Tyler – where Davis Street Market is/was planned – 5 stories would definitely threaten the character of the neighborhood.

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 9.42.30 AM.jpg

The TyPo campus has really proven that the Bishop Arts formula works beyond Bishop and Davis. It might be partly responsible for why people now call "the BA district" everything from the CVS on Zang to Nova. The minute we start building things that tower over these buildings, the sooner Davis Street becomes Oak Lawn and Lemmon.

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 9.59.34 AM.jpg

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 03 Mar 2018 10:52

lakewoodhobo wrote:I think 5 stories might be ok for this part of Davis street, but a few blocks east near Tyler – where Davis Street Market is/was planned – 5 stories would definitely threaten the character of the neighborhood.

Ahh, my old friend "character of the neighborhood." We must protect/subsidize/trap in amber low-rise/low-density neighborhoods! Dallas still has plenty of places to grow, but embedding that kind of thinking in how people think about land use causes real problems down the line when the city becomes "built out."

I get why NIMBYs nimby. I can understand why people don't want *their* neighborhood to change. I don't get nimbying from afar. The city has an overwhelming abundance of low-density neighborhoods for people who want to live that lifestyle, and it's not going to run out any time soon. What the city doesn't have much of, on the other hand, is walkable/bikeable/"urban village" neighborhoods, and we should be trying to grow the seedlings of the few we do have.

For all the talk about Bishop Arts, it's a tiny place. MOAR BISHOP ARTZ.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 03 Mar 2018 11:08

DPatel304 wrote:Yeah, I'm loving the scale of this. I'm just afraid all of these little developments will be too car-friendly. The apartments with ground floor retail sound promising, but it's not very appealing when you have surface parking in front of it. That's also my problem with the Sylvan Thirty development which is another bike-able destination, but the actual development itself is a bit too car friendly. They make a half-ass effort at being pedestrian friendly, but it's the type of place you'd probably drive to rather than bike to.

Everyone talk to your local councilman about reducing/eliminating parking requirements! Particularly in close-in neighborhoods. Tons of cities have done this, and not just the usual suspects.

And don't worry, drivers. Developers will still build parking for you. This is Dallas, after all. They just won't be required to provide an excessive amount of it, as is now the case.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 03 Mar 2018 11:33

tanzoak wrote:Ahh, my old friend "character of the neighborhood." We must protect/subsidize/trap in amber low-rise/low-density neighborhoods! Dallas still has plenty of places to grow, but embedding that kind of thinking in how people think about land use causes real problems down the line when the city becomes "built out."

I get why NIMBYs nimby. I can understand why people don't want *their* neighborhood to change. I don't get nimbying from afar. The city has an overwhelming abundance of low-density neighborhoods for people who want to live that lifestyle, and it's not going to run out any time soon. What the city doesn't have much of, on the other hand, is walkable/bikeable/"urban village" neighborhoods, and we should be trying to grow the seedlings of the few we do have.

For all the talk about Bishop Arts, it's a tiny place. MOAR BISHOP ARTZ.

I know that's right!

The elementary school needs a big play ground so either take one of the adjacent small blocks for physical activity or get rid of the portable buildings and build another school. But other than single family homes facing Reagan, the whole area between W. Davis and 12th should be x5-x10 as many dwellings. The school and the nice big clumps of trees dictate the developmental direction of the micro-neighborhood.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 03 Mar 2018 13:39

tanzoak wrote:Ahh, my old friend "character of the neighborhood." We must protect/subsidize/trap in amber low-rise/low-density neighborhoods! Dallas still has plenty of places to grow, but embedding that kind of thinking in how people think about land use causes real problems down the line when the city becomes "built out."

Character matters. Coincidentally I just found this article from 1981 reporting that then-new owners of the Wilson Building wanted to tear it down. It should've been replaced by a 50-story glass/steel box because density, right?

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 3.15.52 PM.jpg

Can you imagine what a turd downtown would be without its very few historic buildings?

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 03 Mar 2018 17:03

lakewoodhobo wrote:

Character matters. Coincidentally I just found this article from 1981 reporting that then-new owners of the Wilson Building wanted to tear it down. It should've been replaced by a 50-story glass/steel box because density, right?

Can you imagine what a turd downtown would be without its very few historic buildings?

We're not talking about historic buildings downtown. We're talking about random single-family neighborhoods that look like this:

It looks perfectly pleasant, but this kind of neighborhood character is found all over Dallas. If there is demand for neighborhood character of the walkable/bikeable variety here (of which there is little in Dallas), I don't see why that should be banned.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 03 Mar 2018 17:18

As a side note, the Wilson is actually quite dense! At 5 FAR and 200 units/acre, that's the same as SkyHouse Dallas. That's what no set-backs, no step-backs, and a moderate amount of parking will get you.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 03 Mar 2018 17:58

tanzoak wrote:As a side note, the Wilson is actually quite dense! At 5 FAR and 200 units/acre, that's the same as SkyHouse Dallas. That's what no set-backs, no step-backs, and a moderate amount of parking will get you.

How does the typical Dallas Development compare the the Wilson in terms of density? What's the difference in parking ratio?

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 04 Mar 2018 09:23

tanzoak wrote:We're not talking about historic buildings downtown. We're talking about random single-family neighborhoods that look like this:

Gotcha. What I was actually talking about are the 1- and 2-story commercial buildings along Davis like the TyPo campus. If you replaced those with something like Douglas Court on Lemmon (underground parking, mixed-use) the unintended consequence could be that it discourages walking along Davis. Douglas Court is similar to what was proposed for Davis Street Market minus the apartments above.

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 9.18.40 AM.jpg

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 04 Mar 2018 14:42

The corner of Davis Street and Zang Boulevard is ground zero for the transformation of north Oak Cliff.

Construction cranes tower over the busy intersection south of downtown Dallas, where workers are putting up three apartment and retail buildings. The developments surround the stop for the Oak Cliff streetcar, which connects with downtown.

The first of hundreds of new residents will start moving into the projects this summer.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... treet-zang

I'm really excited to see this intersection come to completion, but I'm seeing a couple of interesting comments on reddit. I'm not sure how accurate they are, but it seems a couple users are skeptical there is enough demand on this area:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comment ... ndreds_of/

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 04 Mar 2018 23:40

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:
tanzoak wrote:As a side note, the Wilson is actually quite dense! At 5 FAR and 200 units/acre, that's the same as SkyHouse Dallas. That's what no set-backs, no step-backs, and a moderate amount of parking will get you.

How does the typical Dallas Development compare the the Wilson in terms of density? What's the difference in parking ratio?

What do you mean by typical Dallas development? Like, typical mid-rise stuff? From limited perusal, the Wilson appears to be about 2-4x as dense as most Dallas mid-rise buildings (1-3 FAR, 50-100 du/acre). High-rise building densities vary as well, between 4-8 FAR and 150-250 du/acre (with Bleu Ciel's 84 du/acre a major outlier).

I don't know how many spaces are in the Wilson's garage, but I can say that the ratio of its resi+retail GSF to parking garage GSF is 2.6:1. At most Dallas buildings I've looked at (both mid-rise and high-rise), that ratio is more like 1.8:1. So the Wilson appears to provide about 30% less parking than is typical.

As for ratios.. it varies. The base zoning for multifamily is 1 space per 500 square feet of dwelling unit floor area (850sf avg size = 1.7 spaces/unit), with the requirement capped at 2 per unit for buildings with >1000sf average unit size. PDs typically lower that requirement. I've seen some that are 1 per unit plus 1 per 2000 square feet (850 avg size = 1.4 spaces/unit), others that are by the number of bedrooms. Buildings located in a CA zone (inside the DTD loop) only have to provide 1 space per unit. Townhouses have to provide 2 per unit.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 05 Mar 2018 00:09

lakewoodhobo wrote:
tanzoak wrote:We're not talking about historic buildings downtown. We're talking about random single-family neighborhoods that look like this:

Gotcha. What I was actually talking about are the 1- and 2-story commercial buildings along Davis like the TyPo campus. If you replaced those with something like Douglas Court on Lemmon (underground parking, mixed-use) the unintended consequence could be that it discourages walking along Davis. Douglas Court is similar to what was proposed for Davis Street Market minus the apartments above.

Sorry, what does Douglas Court have to do with anything? It's a random two-story retail strip facing a 76' ROW.. Not even close to a mixed-use mid-rise apartment building on a 40' ROW.

If you're concerned, as DPatel was, that developments in the area may be built too auto-oriented, then I'm 100% with you! But the comment I was replying to was "5 stories would definitely threaten the character of the neighborhood," which was about height, not design/parking requirements.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 13 Mar 2018 08:52

Construction may have started on the empty lot formerly occupied by Gloria's on Davis and Llewellyn. Leasing website has a rendering that reminds me of the old service station on Ross now occupied by FedEx Office.

233B5911-92C7-43B9-826D-8B5EC039CAD6.jpeg

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 13 Mar 2018 09:15

I dig that piece of infill.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 13 Mar 2018 09:34

Yep, I like it!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 13 Mar 2018 09:40

Wow, Oak Cliff is on fire lately. I'm really surprised we haven't seen more development on the east side of Zhang, though.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 13 Mar 2018 18:09

That Porsche tho..

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 16 Apr 2018 11:05

The next battle in the Bishop Arts gentrification saga comes as an update to this story from March 2017: https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2017/0 ... ent-block/

Minnesota-based Oaks Properties had no plans for the 11 buildings they purchased, which are some of the nicest residential properties immediately surrounding the district.

CPC agenda for this week (pg 19) shows that all of these buildings are to be demolished.

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 10.53.44 AM.jpg

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 16 Apr 2018 17:03

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:That Porsche tho..
Ain't no Porsches in that picture.

Matt777

Postby Matt777 » 16 Apr 2018 17:50

Wow, there's a lot of charm and character in most of those old multifamily buildings. They are very Oak Cliff. I am all for more density in Oak Cliff on any of the numerous empty lots or over buildings with no charm or in great disrepair, but none of these buildings qualify under that.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 16 Apr 2018 18:30

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:That Porsche tho..
Ain't no Porsches in that picture.

Wowzers. Good eye. It's a Benz.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 16 Apr 2018 20:48

Seems like the first of the two Alamo Manhattan buildings in nearing completion. This one seems to have less retail space than the one on the south side of Davis, but have their been any announcements regarding tenants? Or has anyone heard any rumors?

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 17 Apr 2018 08:30

lakewoodhobo wrote:The next battle in the Bishop Arts gentrification saga comes as an update to this story from March 2017: https://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2017/0 ... ent-block/

Minnesota-based Oaks Properties had no plans for the 11 buildings they purchased, which are some of the nicest residential properties immediately surrounding the district.

CPC agenda for this week (pg 19) shows that all of these buildings are to be demolished.

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 10.53.44 AM.jpg

Wow, that is quite a loss. I hope they protect the trees covering the roads. But get ready for some Matchbox townhomes.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Apr 2018 09:33

I hope its townhomes. I fear its more apartments and I have been very supportive of the growth of rental units in this area but the land they have seems like it would be better used as rows of townhomes on both sides.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 18 Apr 2018 11:41

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I hope its townhomes. I fear its more apartments and I have been very supportive of the growth of rental units in this area but the land they have seems like it would be better used as rows of townhomes on both sides.

I agree, and I can't see how you could build 4-story apartments on how they're assembling that land. Still, it's very frustrating that a developer doesn't appreciate the potential of some of these buildings. The one at 8th and Adams looks like those midcentury buildings on Gaston that Power Properties have done a good job fixing.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 25 Apr 2018 11:19

Construction ready to start on Bishop Arts Village in Dallas' North Oak Cliff
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... -oak-cliff

"Everything is in place and it breaks ground next week," said developer Michael Nazerian. "It's been over a decade in the making and we are very proud of it."

The construction will include 246 apartments on a public plaza with 12,000 square feet of retail.

Most of the new buildings will be between two and four floors. Two-story arched entryways to the development will face the street.

The project will have more than 500 spaces of public parking.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 25 Apr 2018 11:47

That's a ton of public parking, but, aside from that, the project looks great, and I'm so excited to see this area really transform over the next few years.

I hope with this additional parking, it means perhaps some of the surface parking could be eliminated in the future.