Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Tnexster

Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby Tnexster » 31 Oct 2016 10:49

Form D Friday: Firm plans affordable apartments in Bishop Arts

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... ts-in.html

TPEG completed five rounds of funding through their network of wealthy individual investors. The firm raised $6.36 million in equity for an apartment complex in Bishop Arts that will offer affordable rents to millennials, according to one filing. The development will go up on Melba, near Davis Highway.

TPEG Partner William Burke was given a recent tour by a developer there and is eager to see the area blossom while keeping a walkability that downtown Dallas hasn’t been able to create.

lakewoodhobo

New restaurant building to squeeze into Bishop Arts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 02 Nov 2016 14:46

A building permit was granted in September for 312 W. Davis, between Calvario and Stock & Barrel restaurant.

The permit for a new restaurant, pulled by Benge General Contracting LLC in August, states that the project would have a value of $1.2 million.

Tnexster

Re: Bishop Arts

Postby Tnexster » 04 Nov 2016 11:12

A historic moment as Dallas and a developer pause over fate of 86-year-old Bishop Arts home

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-c ... -arts-home

Except in this case, Alamo Manhattan ran into a speed bump: Dallas' new demolition delay ordinance, which gives City Hall the OK to temporarily park an excavator if it thinks the property being torn down might be just the slightest bit historic. Which is how this nothing-special house just became the first-ever property to get its own demo-delay hearing at Dallas City Hall.

That's probably the most historic thing about it. A preservationist told me Wednesday it's not exactly the first house in Dallas you're going to stand in front of when the bulldozer pulls up.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 04 Nov 2016 11:51

I've passed that house a hundred times on my way to and from Ten Bells and always thought it was ugly but yet somehow fitting to the neighborhood. I'm excited to see some form of development come to Bishop Arts but it's obvious that once the 5 story apartment communities start sprouting up, the dynamic of the people in this neighborhood will probably change quite drastically.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 Nov 2016 10:24

Dallas developer: 'Timing is good' to start first ground-up Bishop Arts project

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/ ... allas.html

Construction on what will be the streetcar gateway to the Bishop Arts District is underway — with an official ceremony slated for next week — that will bring more apartment homes and retail shops to this part of Dallas.

"We are moving full speed ahead and it's not just demolition, but the entire project," Wade Johns, vice president of Dallas-based Alamo Manhattan told the Dallas Business Journal.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 Nov 2016 11:16

The Nazerian development is headed to the CPC today. They'll be discussing the city abandoning a portion of 9th Street and also allowing for a 110 room hotel plus a 15,000 sq ft retail space.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 10 Nov 2016 11:24

For some reason, I'm still surprise a hotel is on tap for Bishop Arts, and more surprised that I am actually surprised! Oak Cliff has been the biggest secret for decades, we all knew it would eventually be found out. It's kinda fun to watch as so many of Austin oriented acquaintances cite Oak Cliff and West Dallas as first options to people relocating to Dallas -- that's mostly because East Dallas neighborhoods are becoming too expensive or too hard to lease.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 04 Jan 2017 15:43

Bishop Arts (Exxir/Nazerian) project looks to have started for real this time. Assume this is a first phase, like the Melba Mercado depicted in renderings, that isn't dependent on the hotel being approved.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 04 Jan 2017 22:30

I saw a crane base today at the old Sonic location.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 05 Jan 2017 09:11

Tnexster wrote:I saw a crane base today at the old Sonic location.

I'm pleased with how quickly that one is moving. You'll get hissed at in Oak Cliff for saying anything positive about Bishop Arts Station, but it's done. Let's move on and hope for its success.

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 05 Jan 2017 11:05

/\ Yeah i understand the objections but this seems to be a quality development and getting a better tax base south of the river will only be good for South Dallas in the long run.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 05 Jan 2017 11:11

lakewoodhobo wrote:You'll get hissed at in Oak Cliff for saying anything positive about Bishop Arts Station, but it's done. Let's move on and hope for its success.

I can totally understand that part of the neighborhood perspective, it's a normal way to react. I can totally understand, as well, the difficulty some of those holding onto that neighborhood perspective will face as they slowly but surely understand the perspective is terrible for the neighborhood.

If "we" are going to settle on a permanent state & way of being that will remain the single neighborhood characteristic, then how do "we" decide who gets to decide. Well, Bishop Arts 20 years ago was the best way for the neighborhood to be, and all that stuff that showed up in the since 2000 needs to go. Take that. It's become too expensive for the best of the cool people right now anyway, so turn it back.

What could be so bad about walking a couple blocks through your neighborhood to get to the streetcar station that takes you downtown? Deep down, I suspect that dont-change perspective come from a fretful worry that there's not enough people hoping to find a place in Bishop Arts because they already enjoy the neighborhood experience and actually want the experience expanded.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 05 Jan 2017 14:20

The whole notion that the Neighborhoods and Cities should not grow over time is simply ridiculous.

How does a Neighborhoods growth inherently change its character?

I don't think that's a mutually exclusive thing. As a matter of fact I'd argue that growth is part of the natural cycle of a healthy city /area.

Neighborhoods can retain their vibe while accommodating new Residents. It's what Cities are supposed to do..

The people who are adverse to new Development tend to be people who resist change; Be for psychological or Financial reasons.

If the new Development fits well with the original character of the area. Then what's to dislike?

Some people are just wired to dislike "New".

However, everyone is always a new resident somewhere at some point.

Dettmann1

Postby Dettmann1 » 10 Jan 2017 09:11

I noticed this morning while driving along Zang that construction fencing is up and port o potty's have are on-site for the Crescent Communities development at the other corner of Zang and Davis. Looks like they are gearing up to start construction (I believe that is in line with the Q1 2017 start they had thrown around earlier). I was driving so I wasn't able to snap any pictures.

Redblock

Postby Redblock » 11 Jan 2017 15:48

Tnexster wrote:I saw a crane base today at the old Sonic location.

This crane was erected on Saturday, January 7.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 Jan 2017 16:28

^Cool, thanks for the update.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 14 Jan 2017 11:39

Drove by this morning and can confirm that demo has started on the Dallas County Schools property. So this is the 5th active construction site in Bishop Arts, which probably hasn't seen this much activity in many decades, if ever:

1. Crescent Bishop Arts
2. Bishop Arts Station (Alamo Manhattan)
3. Bishop Arts (Exxir)
4. Melba Townhomes (Melba and Madison)
5. Restaurant next to Stock & Barrel

Also just north of here are the Magnolia Zang apartments u/c.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 14 Jan 2017 12:09

^I am ready to see the Dallas County Schools complex gone. This will be such a huge improvement for the area.

Dettmann1

Postby Dettmann1 » 16 Jan 2017 15:21

lakewoodhobo wrote:Drove by this morning and can confirm that demo has started on the Dallas County Schools property. So this is the 5th active construction site in Bishop Arts, which probably hasn't seen this much activity in many decades, if ever:

1. Crescent Bishop Arts
2. Bishop Arts Station (Alamo Manhattan)
3. Bishop Arts (Exxir)
4. Melba Townhomes (Melba and Madison)
5. Restaurant next to Stock & Barrel

Also just north of here are the Magnolia Zang apartments u/c.

I believe the larger piece of Bishop Arts Village should be back in front of the city this month for approval as that was what had been in the news in late December. Here's to hoping they were able to build some support for their application as the tentative plans looked pretty transformational.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 16 Jan 2017 22:18

So I drove by the area today, and I was wondering the Melba townhomes. It appeared that the development was taking place west of Bishop. There is a small lot on the south side of Melba that has sign. There is a larger lot (almost the whole block) on the north side of Melba where they digging quite deep. Is this larger lot also part of the townhomes?

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 16 Jan 2017 22:33

Thinl what Bishop Arts will be in 2 yrs.

willyk

Postby willyk » 17 Jan 2017 04:48

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Thinl what Bishop Arts will be in 2 yrs.

Does the street car get any credit for this?

Dettmann1

Postby Dettmann1 » 17 Jan 2017 09:04

ericthegardener wrote:So I drove by the area today, and I was wondering the Melba townhomes. It appeared that the development was taking place west of Bishop. There is a small lot on the south side of Melba that has sign. There is a larger lot (almost the whole block) on the north side of Melba where they digging quite deep. Is this larger lot also part of the townhomes?

I noticed that last night as well. I'm wondering if the block with the larger hole isn't Bishop Highline, the smaller project that entails two separate buildings both on Melba: one east of Bishop and the other west. (the Urban Development Review shows the exact locations - http://dallascityhall.com/departments/pnv/Documents/Bishop%20Highline_UDPRP%20Submittal.pdf

As for the comment regarding the streetcar, I really do think it has spurred at a lot of this, its no coincidence that all the projects moving forward so far are within walking distance to the streetcar. It may not have been the original push behind the projects, but I'm sure it helped them secure funding.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 17 Jan 2017 09:16

willyk wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:Thinl what Bishop Arts will be in 2 yrs.

Does the street car get any credit for this?

I don't think it's the driver behind BA's transformation. But it certainly has played a role. I do believe that the real value of having that streetcar Will start to show once the sidewalks that lead up to it are completed and when we start seeing those apartments be completed. Definitely will be an even more awesome and area.

ericthegardener

Postby ericthegardener » 17 Jan 2017 09:26

Dettmann1 wrote:I noticed that last night as well. I'm wondering if the block with the larger hole isn't Bishop Highline, the smaller project that entails two separate buildings both on Melba: one east of Bishop and the other west. (the Urban Development Review shows the exact locations - http://dallascityhall.com/departments/pnv/Documents/Bishop%20Highline_UDPRP%20Submittal.pdf

So that's actually 1 more to add to Lakewood Hobo's list. 6 active constructions in the immediate vicinity of Bishop Arts. It felt like it was taking forever to see anything get going and now they're all going at once. Crazy!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jan 2017 10:14

I believe all these developments would have eventually occurred, but the Streetcar definitely helped speed things along. Perhaps once these projects are completed, we will see an increase in riders on the streetcar which, hopefully, will lead to some new development near the Union Station in the CBD. We are already seeing two hotels (I believe) being worked on, so perhaps that is just the beginning of the transformation of that area.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Jan 2017 10:27

At the most, for now, it could mean more than one rider a day will take it back and fourth.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 17 Jan 2017 10:44

I'm thinking, probably, it's all about the novelty of a streetcar adding any momentum to Bishop Arts redevelopment projects. Until there's a reason to run the streetcar through downtown Oak Cliff (Jefferson/12th tandem), it'll be a novelty.

eburress

Postby eburress » 17 Jan 2017 11:00

cowboyeagle05 wrote:At the most, for now, it could mean more than one rider a day will take it back and fourth.

hahaha - seriously! Yeah, I still don't know how useful the streetcar's going to be as it's currently aligned.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 17 Jan 2017 11:41

eburress wrote:
cowboyeagle05 wrote:At the most, for now, it could mean more than one rider a day will take it back and fourth.

hahaha - seriously! Yeah, I still don't know how useful the streetcar's going to be as it's currently aligned.

It's the starter. To be relevant as transportation, it's gotta loop back to Union Station. Bishop Arts to south to Jefferson/12th, west to Tyler/Sylvan, north to Singleton, east to Design District, West End, Union Station.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jan 2017 13:53

Personally, I don't think the current route is that much of a problem. My main issue with the streetcar is I felt the commute should be shorter. Maybe that's unrealistic, and maybe my line of thinking is backwards, but I would prefer a streetcar that skips some (or all) of the intermediate stops and just acts as a quick commute to and from Downtown.

Perhaps later down the line when there is a bigger population and more people are willing to commute without cars, we can add those stops back in. But I think speed and convenience should be the priority right now.

joshua.dodd

Postby joshua.dodd » 17 Jan 2017 17:00

Maybe in the future DART will expand its subway into the Bishops Arts District

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 17 Jan 2017 20:56

DPatel304 wrote:Perhaps later down the line when there is a bigger population and more people are willing to commute without cars, we can add those stops back in. But I think speed and convenience should be the priority right now.

Speed and convenience should always be the priority! That's how you make a useful transit system. Agree that the 6th and Oakenwald stops should be skipped. They're using it as a fancier local bus replacement, when it should really act as a cheaper (albeit slower and lower capacity) DART rail line.

tanzoak

Postby tanzoak » 17 Jan 2017 21:30

tamtagon wrote:
eburress wrote:

It's the starter. To be relevant as transportation, it's gotta loop back to Union Station. Bishop Arts to south to Jefferson/12th, west to Tyler/Sylvan, north to Singleton, east to Design District, West End, Union Station.

Agree with the extension down to Jefferson, and with heading up and across to West Dallas, perhaps going down Singleton. But that north-south section to complete a loop doesn't make much sense. West Dallas-North Oak Cliff is not a high-demand route, and you're only expanding access to those on the west side of that section, as the east side already has service with the existing track.

Dettmann1

Postby Dettmann1 » 18 Jan 2017 10:06

I realize this was tounge in cheek, however I happen to ride the streetcar to and from work everyday (Rode the D-link and 21 bus prior to that). Based on my own observations, ridership has increased since they expanded to Bishop Arts and typically its 5ish people min each way during the busier times. While I realize that's next to nothing, its quite a few more than the original amount that DART reported when it just when to Methodist. My biggest issue with the streetcar at present is the connecting times. As of right now, the connection times are not optimized between Red/Blue Dart and the streetcar which is a serious letdown. Going from Bishop Arts to Downtown, you are waiting 10ish minutes at Union Station for a light rail train. On the way from downtown, its similar if not longer. If they could reduce that, it would speed up commute times considerably.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 18 Jan 2017 11:53

tanzoak wrote:Agree with the extension down to Jefferson, and with heading up and across to West Dallas, perhaps going down Singleton. But that north-south section to complete a loop doesn't make much sense. West Dallas-North Oak Cliff is not a high-demand route, and you're only expanding access to those on the west side of that section, as the east side already has service with the existing track.

Ya, the Polk-Tyler-Sylvan leg is a weakest link, destination void; probably about the same number of rides currently between Bishop Arts to Downtown would be interested in the Oak Cliff to Trinity Groves etm route, but I have solid expectations that Downtown Oak Cliff will become a very popular residential district with density rivaling any other in town, making the streetcar to TGroves and that planned outcrop of offices and Victory Park/West End a much more desirable route. Initially, I did also think Kessler, Kid Springs, Winnetka Heights residents would be heavy users of the streetcar, but then the perceived probability of 10,000 new residents in DTOak Cliff sealed the notion.

gshelton91

Postby gshelton91 » 19 Jan 2017 08:33

It seems to me that DART should integrate the line more into it's overall transit scheme... meaning that some busses that go to the transit mall should now drop people off to take the trolley into downtown. Busses could do a better job of feeding the Trolley at a better price then extending the trolley on a big loop through Oak Cliff. At the same time you could reduce some of the bus congestion at the West End Transfer station

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 23 Jan 2017 19:36

Come late spring, the “damp” neighborhood of Oak Cliff could have a full-blown bar at North Tyler and West Davis streets.

But for now, it will be one small battle at a time until Tiny Victories can open its doors, as long as its space is successfully rezoned.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/restauran ... ff-9105176

This would be the first actual bar (meaning the majority of their revenue comes from alcohol as opposed to food) to open in Bishop Arts. As long as this area doesn't turn into another 'party scene', I'm okay with a few bars coming to Bishop Arts.

I feel like Dallas has enough areas for people to party in that they will leave Bishop Arts alone.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 23 Jan 2017 20:58

:lol: Party scene needs to move to Lake Highlands.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 27 Jan 2017 11:47

DPatel304 wrote:
Come late spring, the “damp” neighborhood of Oak Cliff could have a full-blown bar at North Tyler and West Davis streets.

But for now, it will be one small battle at a time until Tiny Victories can open its doors, as long as its space is successfully rezoned.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/restauran ... ff-9105176

This would be the first actual bar (meaning the majority of their revenue comes from alcohol as opposed to food) to open in Bishop Arts. As long as this area doesn't turn into another 'party scene', I'm okay with a few bars coming to Bishop Arts.

I feel like Dallas has enough areas for people to party in that they will leave Bishop Arts alone.

Can't wait to see how this goes over with the residents.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 27 Jan 2017 12:53

Oak Cliff Social Club and Barbara's Pavilion are two good dive bars that are way closer to Bishop/Davis than Tyler/Davis. I don't get this "first cocktail bar" claim.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 27 Jan 2017 13:18

gshelton91 wrote:It seems to me that DART should integrate the line more into it's overall transit scheme... meaning that some busses that go to the transit mall should now drop people off to take the trolley into downtown. Busses could do a better job of feeding the Trolley at a better price then extending the trolley on a big loop through Oak Cliff. At the same time you could reduce some of the bus congestion at the West End Transfer station

Agree. There needs to be more thought into how each mode can be streamlined and connect with each other. The streetcar has plenty of capacity to absorb some current bus traffic.

Extend the streetcar down Zang to Jefferson, then south on Tyler to DART's Tyler-Vernon Station (and long-term, Wynnewood Village). Improve the connection to Union Station. This would create regional/light rail connections at each end, the streetcar would connect districts, and small circulators would shuttle people through business/entertainment areas (Jefferson, Bishop Arts, Lake Cliff, etc). Implement standard DART fare for the streetcar, and make the circulators free.

ericthegardener

Neighbors back Bishop Arts hotel plan

Postby ericthegardener » 31 Jan 2017 09:28

http://oakcliff.advocatemag.com/2017/01/neighbors-back-bishop-arts-hotel-plan/

The Bishop Arts Neighborhood Association initially opposed those plans, but eventually they persuaded the developer to include a few caveats. They agreed that there can only be one events center and one general merchandise store, for example. And the hotel would be positioned on the Ninth Street side of the development, where there are fewer single-family homes.

Dettmann1

Postby Dettmann1 » 31 Jan 2017 09:44

A couple of updates after driving by the area on Sunday (I live in the area, so its a quick to hop over there):

Bishop Arts Station - They have quite a few of the columns poured, for the bottom level on the building at the northwest corner of Zang and Davis which leads me to believe a majority of the excavation on that building is complete and they are going vertical. It appeared that a portion of the slab had been poured as well, but that was difficult to tell. The other building appears to still be in excavation mode.

New Restaurant near Calvario Funeral home appears to have some life to it. Utility work for below the slab appears to be near completion with pipe stubs sticking out of the ground.

Crescent Bishop Arts - Demo on the old Dallas ISD buildings went fast as the building is now gone. A lot of the site improvements still need to be demoed (Fence, parking lot, foundation, etc), but I was amazed how fast it went to be demoed.

Bishop Highline - It appears that they will probably start actual construction work soon as the building pad grading prep has be be close to finished with the dirt now 2 feet or so above the sidewalk on one corner. A sign has also been put up which is encouraging

Bishop Arts Village - The first phase that they started is topped out and all sheathing is up. It looks like the corner unit will have a decent sized patio along both streets, so I'm excited to see what this will be in terms of a tenant.

Magnolia @ Zang - This one is further up Zang at 6th street but is progressing quickly. Brick has been laid up around the building to the second floor and it appears some sort of siding or stucco will be used from there on up. Should be a nice addition to the area.

Next time I'm able to drive around, I'll try and take some pictures so everyone can see the progress.

lakewoodhobo

Re: Oak Cliff: Bishop Arts

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 Feb 2017 12:13

Dallas County Schools site this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 Feb 2017 12:39

Drove by here last week, very striking change with the DCS site being cleared on one side and the crane on the other. Reminds me of Uptown.

ContriveDallasite

Postby ContriveDallasite » 07 Feb 2017 19:18

Will they bury the power lines?

Cbdallas

Postby Cbdallas » 08 Feb 2017 10:37

If we can keep our economy chugging along this area can really transform in density along with the new streetcar.

Dettmann1

Postby Dettmann1 » 09 Feb 2017 08:52

ContriveDallasite wrote:Will they bury the power lines?

I'd say that's doubtful unless that was tied to part of the money they received from the city. Power lines are notoriously expensive to bury.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 09 Feb 2017 09:34

I read a story this week (Dallas Voice, perhaps?) that said the Artisan Collective was closing next week because the rent was jacked up and they wouldn't be able to afford the next increase since they opened there about 10 years ago.

I just wanted to say that if Bishop Arts can't figure out a way to keep "art" in the neighborhood, what is the point? They might as well be Bishop Uptown or The Shops of Legacy on Bishop. Maybe they would prefer the name Bishop Knick-Knacks. This is an age-old problem, the area becomes so trendy that the people/shops that made it a destination can no longer afford to remain.

I hope Artisan Collective can find a way to resolve this issue and remain. I have always enjoyed shopping here. If I am honest, this store is the main reason I go to Bishop Arts.