Downtown Dallas: 400 North Olive St. (Sheraton Dallas Hotel)

DPatel304

Downtown Dallas: 400 North Olive St. (Sheraton Dallas Hotel)

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Aug 2018 13:32

Downtown Dallas Sheraton due for big renovation and new eateries
The hotel will be updating its food and beverage offerings as follows:
  • Reconcepted three-meal full-service restaurant
  • Craft cocktail bar
  • Marketplace, offering quick, healthy options for travelers on the go
  • Terrace Biergarten, serving craft brews with a view from a terrace on the fourth floor.
  • Draft Media Sports Lounge, the hotel’s current sport bar will remain, but feature a refreshed look and revamped menu offerings.
Construction will include a full renovation of all public areas including the lobby, porte-cochère and arrival entrance, and restaurants and bar.

Additionally, 1,300 guest rooms (out of 1,840 total rooms), bathrooms, and hallways will be redesigned with a new aesthetic and furnishings.

The meeting and convention space, which covers more than 230,000 square feet, will get new lighting, painting, and carpeting.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/city- ... enovation/

Tnexster

Re: Downtown Dallas: 400 North Olive St. (Sheraton Dallas Hotel)

Postby Tnexster » 21 Aug 2018 14:01

Nice find, and I would guess this hotel needs it.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Aug 2018 14:08

The Sheraton Dallas Hotel — part of Marriott International Inc. — has begun construction of a multimillion dollar hotel-wide renovation of the hotel and convention property.

According to the wording of the article, it sounds like they have already started the renovation. Unfortunately, I don't see any sort of timeline or completion date, but this is exciting to hear nonetheless. I've never been inside this hotel, but I would guess you're right and this hotel needs it. It's a fantastic sign that a hotel, such as this, needs to upgrade in order to stay competitive in the CBD and, on top of that, they can justify the price tag of these renovations. All good signs for Downtown for sure.

The addition of a rooftop bar will be nice as well. I'm feeling like Downtown is slowly developing a bit of a nightlife, which would be fantastic for the area. I don't want something along the lines of Deep Ellum, but enough bars to keep people entertained and keep the city bustling throughout the night. I think, up until recently, people would usually just Uber to Uptown or (more recently) Deep Ellum, but I've noticed the Statler seems to be a popular nightlife spot, and I can see this new bar being popular as well.

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 21 Aug 2018 14:08

Great. I just wish they would throw a little money on the exterior. The facade doesn’t look too good.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Aug 2018 14:23

Let's hope they open the eateries towards the street a bit more. The building currently focuses on being an inward and fortress-like design from decades of redos. It would a major improvement if the first floor spots were more street facing with at least windows along the sidewalk. Draft, the sports bar had an exterior facing door and some frosted windows but everything else was kinda too guarded.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 21 Aug 2018 14:35

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Let's hope they open the eateries towards the street a bit more. The building currently focuses on being an inward and fortress-like design from decades of redos. It would a major improvement if the first floor spots were more street facing with at least windows along the sidewalk. Draft, the sports bar had an exterior facing door and some frosted windows but everything else was kinda too guarded.
Agreed. Since, Pacific Plaza Park is going to be right across the street from the Sheraton, (the Shearton Convention Center/Parking Garage to be exact) I would have loved to see the lower level transformed with restaurants and other retail. It’s just going to be a blank wall and dead space facing the new park. Hopefully, with new renovations in the future, it is addressed.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Aug 2018 16:03

dallaz wrote:Great. I just wish they would throw a little money on the exterior. The facade doesn’t look too good.

No it looks horrible but it doesn't sound like it includes an exterior fix. Probably costs too much. Just imagine the possible LED light display!

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 21 Aug 2018 16:24

Tnexster wrote:
dallaz wrote:Great. I just wish they would throw a little money on the exterior. The facade doesn’t look too good.

No it looks horrible but it doesn't sound like it includes an exterior fix. Probably costs too much. Just imagine the possible LED light display!
Hahahaha yeah, you’re right.

Hell, a little paint will go a long way. But seriously, they should come up with some kind of plan. Maybe, do it in phases so they don’t have to pay for it all at once. The building just looks very dingy and dated. There’s nothing wrong with a building that’s dated in a historical contex (Ex: Hotel Aldolphus, The Statler, Old Red Courthouse, etc). But this building is at the other end of the spectrum.

An LED display would look great on this building. The building was originally lit anyway, I’m all for it.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 Aug 2018 16:43

^Absolutely, the original blue tile with the original lighting scheme converted to LED would be...dare I say...EPIC!

Warrior2015

Postby Warrior2015 » 21 Aug 2018 21:54

DPatel304 wrote:
The Sheraton Dallas Hotel — part of Marriott International Inc. — has begun construction of a multimillion dollar hotel-wide renovation of the hotel and convention property.

According to the wording of the article, it sounds like they have already started the renovation. Unfortunately, I don't see any sort of timeline or completion date, but this is exciting to hear nonetheless. I've never been inside this hotel, but I would guess you're right and this hotel needs it. It's a fantastic sign that a hotel, such as this, needs to upgrade in order to stay competitive in the CBD and, on top of that, they can justify the price tag of these renovations. All good signs for Downtown for sure.

The addition of a rooftop bar will be nice as well. I'm feeling like Downtown is slowly developing a bit of a nightlife, which would be fantastic for the area. I don't want something along the lines of Deep Ellum, but enough bars to keep people entertained and keep the city bustling throughout the night. I think, up until recently, people would usually just Uber to Uptown or (more recently) Deep Ellum, but I've noticed the Statler seems to be a popular nightlife spot, and I can see this new bar being popular as well.

So it's going to have a rooftop bar ?

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 21 Aug 2018 22:41

They are calling it a 'terrace bar', which is probably more accurate seeing as how it's on the fourth floor.