Fort Worth: Sundance Square

jrd1964

Fort Worth: Sundance Square

Postby jrd1964 » 10 Jul 2018 01:46

A long-awaited CVS store has opened just off Sundance Square at 5th/Houston, in an old Ojos Locos sports bar. It is actually a 2-level store, with meds/pharmacy upstairs amd snacks/drinks/home stuff downstairs (looks like they'll have to keep the elevator working all the time without fail...).

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/loca ... 93249.html

cowboyeagle05

Re: Fort Worth: Sundance Square

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 10 Jul 2018 08:56

Good to see more evolution in Downtown Fort Worth. Sundance has always been a gimmick to me that didn't interest me in that it was more like the old West End than a true urban Downtown. More neighborhood service makes for a balanced residential and a tourist-favored area for all.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

dallaz

Postby dallaz » 10 Jul 2018 09:49

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Good to see more evolution in Downtown Fort Worth. Sundance has always been a gimmick to me that didn't interest me in that it was more like the old West End than a true urban Downtown. More neighborhood service makes for a balanced residential and a tourist-favored area for all.

Same here. I always viewed Sundance Square as a “lifestyle center” (aka an outdoor mall).

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jul 2018 10:06

Some will be upset by this but I equal it in some ways as that of Firewheel Towncenter or Southlake Towncenter. Neither are terrible destinations but they lack the autheticity that I desire in an urban area. Of course, you could tear my analogy apart and talk about how each example is better than the other and how Fort Worth has broken the mold blah blah blah but I will still take the downtown Dallas in progress over Sundance any day that's just my feelings and lord knows Sundance is very successful so my opinion is not that of the crowds that gather their regularly. Congrats to them for the urban CVS though Dallas has trouble with convincing that company of anything urban is a good idea.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Jul 2018 14:33

cowboyeagle05 wrote:Some will be upset by this but I equal it in some ways as that of Firewheel Towncenter or Southlake Towncenter. Neither are terrible destinations but they lack the autheticity that I desire in an urban area. Of course, you could tear my analogy apart and talk about how each example is better than the other and how Fort Worth has broken the mold blah blah blah but I will still take the downtown Dallas in progress over Sundance any day that's just my feelings and lord knows Sundance is very successful so my opinion is not that of the crowds that gather their regularly. Congrats to them for the urban CVS though Dallas has trouble with convincing that company of anything urban is a good idea.

I'd agree with that, but it's been a huge success so far, and it could definitely help pave the way for more urban development in Downtown Fort Worth. I'd almost liken it to West Village which, in my opinion, is very bland and cookie cutter and (with all the ample free parking) was designed with the car commuter in mind, but it was a huge success and paved the way for more development in Uptown, which lead to more development in other parts of the Dallas urban core.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 28 Aug 2018 04:06

Last week, a new Aloft hotel opened in the south tower of City Place (not to be confused with Dallas' version... it's part of the old Tandy Center office/mall complex). This hotel adds 180 rooms to the downtown area.

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertain ... 81150.html

(This article ... https://www.star-telegram.com/news/loca ... 52491.html ... dating to last October, lists what was on the horizon for new hotels downtown. Some (the Aloft and Hampton) are open, while others are still to come.)

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 11 Mar 2020 18:28

Downtown Fort Worth landmark will become luxury hotel

The former Continental Life Insurance building at 714 Main will become a Kimpton Hotel. The 24-story building will have 232 rooms and be open by summer of next year.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ury-hotel/

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 29 Sep 2020 00:07

New downtown Fort Worth hotel debuts near Sundance Square

An AC hotel has opened on 5th Street between Houston and Main, with 16 stories and 252 rooms. Unlike other DFW-area AC properties, this hotel is not a combo with a Residence Inn, or any other Marriott brand.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... ce-square/