Masonic Temple

mdg109

Masonic Temple

Postby mdg109 » 10 Jun 2018 15:06

Didn't see a topic for this one yet. Noticed work was being done today on the Masonic Temple. The windows were open, and it looked like dumpster trucks were in the back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt777

Re: Masonic Temple

Postby Matt777 » 10 Jun 2018 19:25

I know the East Quarter developer said he was going to preserve this building and turn it into something, but it would be horrifying to see this building demolished sneakily. Are there any protections for this building? It’s a beautiful example of Art Deco architecture.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 11 Jun 2018 00:16

Went back for another photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 11 Jun 2018 00:19

The East Quarter development definitely isn't wasting any time at all. I haven't really seen anything indicating we might lose this building, but, regardless, I too hope they preserve the building and turn it into something cool.

exelone31

Postby exelone31 » 11 Jun 2018 08:38

It seems to me that if they're cleaning out the inside (which is what it looks like on mdg109's second photo), then they probably wouldn't tear it down?

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Jun 2018 08:52

At one point, wasn't Sammons Center for the Arts planning a move to this building?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jun 2018 08:54

It's a hard building to reuse and make money off of I am sure but I bet he as at least getting it cleaned up so when they find an appropriate use they don't have to wait on remediation. Similar to how the Statler and LTV tower was cleaned out and when they finally got ready to be redeveloped the asbestos work had already been done. I assume he will market it as pretty unique office space. If not how about a really fancy gym lol.
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 11 Jun 2018 08:56

tamtagon wrote:At one point, wasn't Sammons Center for the Arts planning a move to this building?

I think you are thinking of when it was to become an Urban education center thing run by one of the wives of one of the Crows or Hunts or something. There was a mild competition and they had renderings somewhere but that project quickly dissolved.

tamtagon
Site Admin

Postby tamtagon » 11 Jun 2018 10:22

cowboyeagle05 wrote:
tamtagon wrote:At one point, wasn't Sammons Center for the Arts planning a move to this building?

I think you are thinking of when it was to become an Urban education center thing run by one of the wives of one of the Crows or Hunts or something. There was a mild competition and they had renderings somewhere but that project quickly dissolved.

Totally something like that! Oh, here's the 2014 publicity:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-city-hall/2014/01/04/hunter-stephanie-hunt-to-turn-downtown-masonic-temple-into-center-aimed-at-solving-dallas-biggest-challenges

Hunter, Stephanie Hunt to turn downtown Masonic Temple into center aimed at solving Dallas' 'biggest challenges'

Robert Wilonsky, City Columnist

After a month spent wondering who purchased the Masonic Temple on Harwood Street in downtown Dallas, the wait is over: The building has been purchased by Hunter and Stephanie Hunt, who plan on turning the 73-year-old, 43,000-square-foot temple into "a hub of creativity and collaboration."

That's the phrase used by one of their key collaborators, Brent Brown, founding director of the Dallas City Hall-based CityDesign Studio and bcWORKSHOP, which aims to rebuild and reconnect neighborhoods.

This side of town certainly needs additional performance venues and gallery space. I wonder what sort of partnership could operate with the nearby Museum of Street Culture.

Whatever happens, the entrance to this building is so completely perfect for gala red carpet fund raising entrances, So Dallas.

DallasMan

Postby DallasMan » 11 Jun 2018 10:24

The Masonic Temple is in the Harwood Historic District and is a contributing structure to said District, so it can't be demolished (unless they get permission, which would be highly unlikely). However, the restrictions do not cover interior spaces, so the owner can do renovations to the interior without obtaining permission from the historic preservation office at the City.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 02 Sep 2018 16:09

Looks like this is being called "Block House" and part of the East Quarter. They have it as one of their highlights on their Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/eastquarter/

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 04 Sep 2018 09:18

Last I heard they are refusing to allow any Masons access to remove exterior decorative items which is odd since they should have removed them before they sold it. My understanding is old leadership just didn't bother but newer blood wanted to at least get some of the easily removable items. Course the effect on maintaining the historical preservation matters when removing that kind of stuff.

I predict this will end up a coworking and event space for larger meetings and etc for tenants of the East Quarter.

mdg109

Postby mdg109 » 17 Jun 2019 12:19

Pretty cool seeing the entrance lit up last night.

quixomniac

Postby quixomniac » 17 Jun 2019 16:55

mdg109 wrote:Pretty cool seeing the entrance lit up last night.

Wow. nice shot.
Puts the illumination in illuminati. hehe ;)