DTD: The National/Thompson Hotel (1401 Elm)

Roman_Patrick

Re: Downtown Dallas: The Drever

Postby Roman_Patrick » 11 Apr 2019 09:16

ImageUntitled by Roman Reyna, on Flickr

Taken Yesterday! It will finally look great again!

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 11 Apr 2019 12:16

Is every piece mapped back to its original spot.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 11 Apr 2019 15:01

Tnexster wrote:Is every piece mapped back to its original spot.

They cataloged and marked every piece before removal so I would imagine mostly yes (obviously some were damaged during removal and will have to be replaced).

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 11 Apr 2019 15:38

I sure hope they are using really strong adhesive! That would suck to get wacked by one falling off.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 13 Apr 2019 10:49

Well, the original pieces have been cut with a laser to make them thinner and lighter. A framework applied to the back to stabilize the marble as well as make it easier to adhere. Similar to how they create that plastic webbing behind small tile installations. As long as they finish its possible they will have extra marble they could use inside the building for smaller applications. Maybe a bar top or wall section?
“Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell”

Roman_Patrick

Postby Roman_Patrick » 19 Apr 2019 14:05

ImageUntitled by Roman Reyna, on Flickr

Are they finally going to unveil the new marble?? Looks like they are taking off the blue cover from the bottom of the tower.

willyk

Postby willyk » 20 Apr 2019 02:31

Roman_Patrick wrote:ImageUntitled by Roman Reyna, on Flickr

Are they finally going to unveil the new marble?? Looks like they are taking off the blue cover from the bottom of the tower.

If the project is strapped for funding, isn’t this an odd thing to be spending money on?

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 21 Apr 2019 10:40

It appears to be simply limping along. Mind you know no sane businessman would spend money on reassembling the marble without knowing there was a richer future on the other end to finish the project. Course there is a reason most investors have steered away from this project altogether so it just may take a leap of faith and maybe some delusional vision to get it done.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 21 Apr 2019 14:01

I just read not too long ago that Thompson Hotels has become part of the Hyatt universe. It will be interesting to see if the hotel portion of this project will still go to Thompson, and Hyatt would want a bigger DTD presence, or if another brand is being considered--if there still is a hotel being considered.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 03 May 2019 22:34

Looked like they had made a lot of progress with the tile installation on the east side and I noticed they had workers on at least three corners of the tower laying tile up the sides. So far I am liking the way it's turning out.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 May 2019 13:28

muncien

Postby muncien » 07 May 2019 13:36

Perhaps I'm just so desperate for this thing to get done that I'm grasping for straws here... But, I can't help but see this as a good sign.

The fact that work resumed before making a big announcement with more renderings is very reassuring. The fact that this is now being done by someone who has not only done it before, but did it just down the street is also good to hear. Not to mention the big names behind the financing.

Less talk, more action. Finally.
"He doesn't know how to use the three seashells..."

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 07 May 2019 13:44

FWIW, I see this building every day and now I see people working on it every day. Also, the people that I met from Drever that worked on my floor have disappeared. I don't think I have seen them for a month, now it makes sense.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 07 May 2019 13:49

muncien wrote:

Perhaps I'm just so desperate for this thing to get done that I'm grasping for straws here... But, I can't help but see this as a good sign.

The fact that work resumed before making a big announcement with more renderings is very reassuring. The fact that this is now being done by someone who has not only done it before, but did it just down the street is also good to hear. Not to mention the big names behind the financing.

Less talk, more action. Finally.

This is a win. I never believed Drever could get this done. Todd Interests at least has experience, and is fully invested in Downtown Dallas..Finally we have legitimate hope.

whit5125

Postby whit5125 » 07 May 2019 14:04

I work in Renaissance tower on the 29th floor and look at the tower every day. Trust me, the past two weeks work has really picked up on it, especially on the lower podium where they have built what looks like another level of pavilions for what will be restaurants and eventual other amenities. And today they are on the west side prepping to put the tiles back on.

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 07 May 2019 14:34

I think we now know why 505 North Ervay was purchased by Todd Interest and being demolished for a parking garage.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 07 May 2019 16:01

ArtVandelay wrote:I think we now know why 505 North Ervay was purchased by Todd Interest and being demolished for a parking garage.

If it's a parking garage for The Drever (new name TBD) then it's too bad the tunnel connection between these two locations is closed off.

trueicon

Postby trueicon » 07 May 2019 16:47

trueicon wrote:If you believe this project will be completed under Drever's guard, you will be disappointed. In fact I'll buy a round of drinks for everyone on this thread if I'm wrong and it opens next year like they promise. But I could just as easily promise to buy everyone a new iPhone XS Max -- it really won't matter.

Sorry guys, no round of drinks or iPhones.

TNWE

Postby TNWE » 07 May 2019 16:48

lakewoodhobo wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:I think we now know why 505 North Ervay was purchased by Todd Interest and being demolished for a parking garage.

If it's a parking garage for The Drever (new name TBD) then it's too bad the tunnel connection between these two locations is closed off.

Has anything happened to the tunnel sections between the LTV building and 1401 Elm that would preclude re-opening that pathway? My understanding was that the tunnels were only closed off south of Thanksgiving Square because 1401 Elm was vacant.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 07 May 2019 17:18

I believe the city still has structured all incentives so that the tunnels have to be closed as part of these vacant redos cause most council members still think they alone are the reason retail isn't on the ground floor of the crappy designed office buildings the city has allowed and continues to allow to be built downtown...

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 07 May 2019 18:56

cowboyeagle05 wrote:I believe the city still has structured all incentives so that the tunnels have to be closed as part of these vacant redos cause most council members still think they alone are the reason retail isn't on the ground floor of the crappy designed office buildings the city has allowed and continues to allow to be built downtown...

I don't think there's any incentive either way regarding the tunnels. The city isn't going to pay to improve the spaces but if the owner wants to keep them leased/occupied they can.

As for the connection to Thanks-Giving Square, the tunnels from this building are still under the street and terminate in the Tower Garage. The corridor going from underground to street level is now dark/closed. When LTV went through their renovation they closed the escalator connection to the tunnel from street level on Pacific. They were required by the city to maintain public access with a staircase, but I don't think this ever happened (or how they got out of this).

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 09 May 2019 14:21

Let me clarify. By my conversations with various people in CBD development the city has been clear that any developer looking to redo these buildings downtown should think long and hard about keeping the tunnels. I shouldn't have said the incentives are structured simply that the developers are enthusiastically encouraged to shut off tunnels and repurpose them at their earliest convenience. Many believe making Downtown be more alive is something that can be vastly improved by mothballing the tunnels and sky bridges. There are limits to what the city can do officially but they can suggest things to help developers get a better deal aka more likely to get approval.

eburress

Postby eburress » 09 May 2019 16:35

It wouldn't be a cure all for sure, but I do happen to agree that closing the tunnels in order to force the retail and foot traffic to the streets is a good thing.

Chris Sapphire

Postby Chris Sapphire » 10 May 2019 00:11

Yay!!!! This project is now full steam ahead. Just read on DallasNews.com that a new investor has come to take over and it shall be done by next year. Can't wait to see the new LED lights they'll install on the facade's white pinstripes finally on.

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 10 May 2019 08:04

I'm looking forward to that re-opened observation deck!

ArtVandelay

Postby ArtVandelay » 10 May 2019 08:14

texasstar wrote:I'm looking forward to that re-opened observation deck!

Do you think they will still do the observation deck? That feature promised under the Drever regime surprised me because you're taking rentable space out of inventory for an amenity that isn't going to generate as much revenue.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 10 May 2019 09:55

ArtVandelay wrote:
texasstar wrote:I'm looking forward to that re-opened observation deck!

Do you think they will still do the observation deck? That feature promised under the Drever regime surprised me because you're taking rentable space out of inventory for an amenity that isn't going to generate as much revenue.

The public observation deck was in the orignal Merriman Anderson design and they're still the architects of record, so it will probably stick. Now whether Drever's plan to make it free will stick, we'll just have to wait and see.

I am a little nervous about the pinstripe lights since my bedroom window is across the street but again I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 10 May 2019 10:03

ArtVandelay wrote:Do you think they will still do the observation deck? That feature promised under the Drever regime surprised me because you're taking rentable space out of inventory for an amenity that isn't going to generate as much revenue.

This was probably a condition for receiving the $50M in TIF from the city, but I could be wrong. I know that LTV/1600 Pacific was supposed to have a porte cochere accessible to the public that was eventually scrapped for a parking garage ramp, but that required an amendment to the TIF agreement.

With the race to get so much done by the end of next year, I doubt there's any time to renegotiate that deal.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 10 May 2019 21:21

East side of the building tile replacement is almost done, looks fantastic and they are well underway on the south side facing Elm. Bright and shiny it will look like new when it's done.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 11 May 2019 03:36

Tnexster wrote:East side of the building tile replacement is almost done, looks fantastic and they are well underway on the south side facing Elm. Bright and shiny it will look like new when it's done.

Well, after months and months and *months* of the unpeeled/unwashed/etc version staring us in the face, pretty much anything will look better at this rate. I hope Todd Interests is able to pick up the pace; I can't imagine already having East Quarter to evaluate and contend with, then suddenly having to add the yet-to-be-done-but-so-much-left-to-do complex at 1401 Elm, as well. That's a lot of $$$$$ and man-hours to come up with.

The DBJ version, with slideshows:
https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news ... treet.html

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 21 May 2019 19:59

Lots going on today, more progress on the tile along Main and they appear to be removing all of the exterior lighting covers all the way to the top of the building. Maybe they are going to install some LED feature in place of what looks like fluorescent lights?

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 31 May 2019 10:25

This is from May 8th but had not seen this specific report posted yet so....

Historic Dallas Marble-and-Glass Tower Gains New Owner, Ending an Empty Decade
Long Vacant 52-Floor Mid-Century Redevelopment to Include Office, Hotel, Apartments

https://product.costar.com/home/news/shared/1249733717

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 31 May 2019 16:08

Thanks for sharing.

I had forgotten this was built by H.L. Hunt and used as the pretend offices of JR Ewing on the tv show.

itsjrd1964

Postby itsjrd1964 » 01 Jun 2019 09:48

LongonBigD wrote:Thanks for sharing.

I had forgotten this was built by H.L. Hunt and used as the pretend offices of JR Ewing on the tv show.

Actually, the longtime Ewing Oil setting on Dallas was next door at what is now Renaissance Tower. Previously, in the show's first 5 episodes, Bryan Tower was used as the interior/exterior setting for Ewing Oil. I'm not sure 1401 Elm (and it's later names) was ever used as any setting on Dallas.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 01 Jun 2019 11:04

LongonBigD wrote:Thanks for sharing.

True, if you go back to the episode after JR is shot you will see Cliff Barnes coming out of this tower. Great clip showing the front of this tower in that particular episode.

Dallas12

Postby Dallas12 » 02 Jun 2019 17:25

Unless I’m way off, First National Bank built Elm Place, not Hunt. Hunt built Thanksgiving Tower.

Hannibal Lecter

Postby Hannibal Lecter » 02 Jun 2019 19:19

^ You are way on. :)

By coincidence, when Thanksgiving Tower was constructed it was the second tallest building downtown. The building it supplanted? Elm Place.

LongonBigD

Postby LongonBigD » 02 Jun 2019 19:33

H. L. Hunt died in the 70’s, Thanksgiving Tower is early 1980s. Perhaps his children developed Thanksgiving Tower (HuntOil?). I do recall that all original occupants were primarily companies owned by or doing business with the Hunts, sorta the 1980s version of Old Parkland.

dfwcre8tive
Site Admin

Postby dfwcre8tive » 03 Jun 2019 11:54

LongonBigD wrote:H. L. Hunt died in the 70’s, Thanksgiving Tower is early 1980s. Perhaps his children developed Thanksgiving Tower (HuntOil?). I do recall that all original occupants were primarily companies owned by or doing business with the Hunts, sorta the 1980s version of Old Parkland.

Hunt Petroleum / Hunt Energy was Thanksgiving Tower (built by the Hunt family). It's complicated.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2008/06/hunt200806

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/09/27/maga ... -debt.html

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 08 Jun 2019 12:43

Some scaffolding has gone up on the east side around the pillars, looks like they are about to begin tile work there. So far the work they have done looks spectacular.

lakewoodhobo

Postby lakewoodhobo » 17 Jun 2019 14:30

Hard to tell from the street level, but they're removing the middle plexiglass panels and what's left of the fluorescent lights behind them. Not sure if the panels on the right side are new or old but since there don't appear to be any missing pieces, I wanna say that they're new.

If that's the case, is it possible that they're not adding an LED system at this time?

IMG_9473.jpg
IMG_9474.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tnexster

Postby Tnexster » 17 Jun 2019 14:48

Downtown Dallas' landmark First National Bank tower is getting its restored marble exterior two years after removal

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/rea ... er-removal

cowboyeagle05

Postby cowboyeagle05 » 17 Jun 2019 18:11

I took these on Friday and honestly it looks great in person. Looks brand new like it should.
64779589_442317322985562_2232504252201172992_n.jpg
64381202_2731362000239179_4230599329804451840_n.jpg
64224197_446182492862008_2955616237624754176_n.jpg

texasstar

Postby texasstar » 17 Jun 2019 18:41

Nothing but good news here!

DPatel304

Postby DPatel304 » 17 Jun 2019 23:47

Great pictures, thanks for the update! I'm so glad this project appears to be seeing regular progress these days.

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 18 Jun 2019 09:44

lakewoodhobo wrote:Hard to tell from the street level, but they're removing the middle plexiglass panels and what's left of the fluorescent lights behind them. Not sure if the panels on the right side are new or old but since there don't appear to be any missing pieces, I wanna say that they're new.

If that's the case, is it possible that they're not adding an LED system at this time?

The panels are new. All of the infrastructure for the old flourescent lighting system has been gutted. Last I heard they were still testing/trying to decide on the replacement lighting system. Nothing has yet been installed that I can see on the Elm Street side.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 Jun 2019 09:45

I hope the windows are replaced

Jay9398

Postby Jay9398 » 18 Jun 2019 11:25

Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I hope the windows are replaced

Several windows in the tower have already been replaced. They are so clearly different and newer than the old windows that I can't imagine they wouldn't replace them all.

The windows at street level actually look really good when they're clean. I don't know if they will replace them but it really might not be necessary.

Tivo_Kenevil

Postby Tivo_Kenevil » 18 Jun 2019 11:35

Jay9398 wrote:
Tivo_Kenevil wrote:I hope the windows are replaced

Several windows in the tower have already been replaced. They are so clearly different and newer than the old windows that I can't imagine they wouldn't replace them all.

The windows at street level actually look really good when they're clean. I don't know if they will replace them but it really might not be necessary.

Not sure if feasible, due to historical credits, but clear windows on the ground floor would look awesome. Right now the tint on the lower floor looks unwelcoming IMO.

Bwd1975

Postby Bwd1975 » 15 Jul 2019 12:51

How’s 1401 Elm coming along? I haven’t been by in about 6 weeks and I excited to see the progress. Anybody have any recent photos?